Elgin Community College Pay & Benefits reviews

23,000 a year!!!
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 10, 2019
If you take this position as a groundskeeper for 23,000 a year you deserve whatever they give you. That is an insulting pay grade. What they are telling you is if they could pay you any less, they would.
Pros
You will be eligible for welfare
Cons
Insulting pay!
Poor pay
Office Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 6, 2018
The college goes through an extensive interview process and requires a degree but does not compensate accordingly. They are under a union which causes people to be lazy and not go above and beyond.
Pros
Spring and Winter Breaks as well as 4 day work weeks in the Summer
Cons
No advancement and union
Exciting environment with nurturing minds
TRIO COORDINATOR (TEMPORARY) (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 27, 2017
Schedule and advise students on transition to college life and make their experiences easier than if they try and fail by themselves. Amazing atmosphere with some students that feel inclined to ask for assistance.
Pros
Year long schedule, students that want to come into the office
Cons
No health care, no PTO, no 401K
good for students
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 22, 2017
I don't know about full time employees. I was a student worker, so I didn't receive any benefits and was paid very little. One of the perks was that the school worked around my class schedule.
My experience has been extremely gratifying working with students and colleagues as well as agencies in the community to meet the needs of the student
Trio Student Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 13, 2016
Fortunately...there is no typical day. The main goal of my position is to work with the underserved, first generation, low income and documented handicap students to ensure success navigating their way through the educational process. I also develop programming through workshops and continual face to face meetings to assist with challenges.
I have learned that their is no typical college student, everyone has to be handled on an individual basis to tailor make an assessment plan to ensure their success.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see my students walk across the stage for graduation. It is the most gratifying feeling and I fun-fill my passion for helping others to achieve the life that they thought were only dreams.
Pros
Great place to work, tuition reimbursement, dedicated employees
Cons
Benefits for Part-time employees could improve
Lots of very immature people, very selfish culture
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 14, 2016
I was required to work overtime a lot which was very hard for my work life balance needs.

I learned a lot about unions and a lot of different academic environments and how they worked. I had more work at this job than I ever had. That isn't a bad thing, but just a reality. The college always seems really understaffed and that doesn't seem to improve.

I had only a few co-workers that were decent to me, so many of them were backstabbing and poor communicators. I felt like there was always a target on my back. I've never dreaded going to work more than this job.

I was frequently harassed for my race (white) and it seemed to be a non issue unless people were harassed that were more ethnic. I found this to be incredibly racist.
Pros
Great benefits all around
Cons
Bad atmosphere, nothing seems to get solved, better to just work alone
Ebay Store Owner
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 20, 2016
Operating an Ebay store has allowed me to have the flexibility that was needed to raise my family and attend college. I am ready for a new chapter in my career where I can be part of a bigger team.
Great place to work if money is not a driving consideration
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 28, 2015
Overall as an adjunct instructor you are at the mercy of enrollment numbers. If there are not enough students signed up for your slotted class then you don't teach that semester. That can be a bummer but its that way as an adjunct anywhere. So if you are not dependent on the small salary you get as an instructor then this is great. The class sizes are small enough so that you can be on a more personal level with the class and you can be more creative with your lectures.
Pros
Small class rooms, great support staff
Cons
small salary, unpredictable work loads.
Good College, good effort in attracting diversity students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 16, 2015
This is as good a community college as one will experience. They have a log of good faculty and professors and they really want students to succeed.
Pros
Diversity Committment
Cons
Horrible benefits for adjunct
fun place to work.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 17, 2014
good workplace. learned to interact with people more. got me out of my "shy shell".most of the time felt like working with family.
Pros
we got free lunch during our break.got free uniforms, and learned to make new products and taste new drinks, and sanwiches to better benifit the customer.
Cons
it was partime job, so we didnt have healthcare benifits.
Exciting environment for enhancing lives for students futures for tomorrow
Trio Student Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, IllinoisNovember 25, 2013
This is a faced paced environment where you are responsible for the educational, personal, cultural and individual needs of students that are first generation, low income or have special needs. The most enjoyable part of this position is to see a student aspire to their goals and flourish in their field of studies and graduate.
Pros
four day work week in the summer, major holidays of, i.e., Martin Luther King day
Cons
Part-time health care benefits are not competitve with the industry
Great place to work, family atmosphere, welcomining staff
Manager of Mail Operations (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 24, 2013
Very friendly staff from top to bottom, excellent training and HR Benefits, very rewarding educational setting.