Elgin Community College Employee Review

View all Elgin Community College reviews

Diverse work culture and great place to build your resume
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 1, 2019
I love working at Elgin Community College. To start, it is a great place for a student like me with little background in professional administration to help build my resume. A typical day for me consists of helping prospective and active students through enrollment steps. While employed at ECC, I've learned that each student has their own unique circumstance while enrolling through college, so active listening and understanding is crucial in guiding students into a successful educational transition. I get along with all of my co-workers, including management. My supervisors are very intelligent-caring individuals who are easy to work with. Obviously, every job has it's good and bad days, but I remain a team player and dedicated to what I do. Although, I think the hardest part about working at a college is adapting to the bright minds that come with it. I am mostly surrounded by highly merited individuals. Sometimes, people of higher education can have a strong personality, but it's nothing that I can't handle. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is just that; I love learning and I love working with people who share that same mindset. Working at a college is like a 2-for-1 special; not only do I get the privilege to surround myself with like-minded students who share the same passions as me, but I get to do that with my co-workers as well!
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Student federal pay

Other Elgin Community College Employee Reviews

23,000 a year!!!
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 10, 2019
If you take this position as a groundskeeper for 23,000 a year you deserve whatever they give you. That is an insulting pay grade. What they are telling you is if they could pay you any less, they would.
Pros
You will be eligible for welfare
Cons
Insulting pay!
CLINICAL NURSE EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMarch 26, 2019
There were plenty of opportunities for advancement as more nursing teachers retire. Unfortunately, one does need a much higher degree now. I do wish I could still teach there.
Pros
Opportunity to educate future nurses.
Cons
High degree required.