Eli Lilly Employee Reviews

Found 945 reviews matching the search See all 1,394 reviews
Great for some depending on where you work and who your boss is
QC (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2018
The manufacturing side of this company is NOT the same Lilly everyone raves about. SUCH a huge disappointment. If you are a single mom in mfg forget about it, you'll never make it. No flexibility and if you have the misfortune of getting sick and calling in, even with medical documentation, you will be constantly threatened with losing your job. There is a reason why this company is not the top pharma company lol.. it is all in who you know and not how hard you work...much the same model I saw when I worked as a contractor in R and D. Some people have it really good here, it is really just luck of the draw, but I have never been treated so poorly in any job and I have been in the industry for almost 20 years. I can't wait to see this place in my rearview mirror for the last time. I should have listened to others who worked on the mfg side who had similar experiences. Good luck..
Pros
Good benefits for those outside mfg
Cons
Work life balance, sick leave, management
Ability to develop skills and expertise
Secretary/Financial Specialist/Analyst/Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 25, 2019
Lilly provided opportunities to learn systems and master the skills to become expert in several roles. I was able to train others in the US and OUS.
The site provides a gym, onsite banking, cleaners and cafeterias.
There are daycare facilities to working parents as well.
I started in a clerical position and was able to be promoted through my career to an analyst/associate.
It also afforded me an opportunity to graduate with my associates degree with tuition reimbursement.
Great health and financial benefits (401K).
In some areas, flexible work schedules were available.
Pros
Shut down for Christmas holiday
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 25, 2018
Eli Lilly is an excellent company to work for. The companies commitment to diversity and inclusion is what drew me to the company and it has continued to expand their inclusion programs and acknowledge the different cultures within the workforce.

Benefits are really great. Health, Vision and dental benefits are among the best I've experienced. Excellent time off benefits: Vacation, sick time, personal time, bereavement, maternity, etc.

Unfortunately, management and the overall Administrative Service department is lacking a lot of direction and connection with the Administrative assistants in the group. My manager in particular is very unorganized does not provide accurate information and often creates issues within the group. Micro-managing is a huge pain point in our group. The disconnect between the ASC and the departments that the Admins support is vast and there have been no efforts to bridge that gap.
Pros
Diversity and company benefits
Cons
Management within Administrative Services(ASC)
Excellent company overall
Clinical Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis,INOctober 17, 2018
Generally I think my experience at Eli Lilly and Company was positive overall. I worked on interesting projects with dedicated smart co-workers. The level of science and integrity is top notch. My managers gave me a lot of autonomy to perform my job. The company prides itself on the numbers of female middle managers. Many (but not all) of these women I reported to over the years were incompetent managers. Because Lilly is located in Indianapolis, people tend to stay with the company for a longer period of time than for East or West Coast pharma companies, resulting in a conservative, risk-adverse culture when it comes to embracing new ideas. There is a strong unconscious bias towards people with some background in Indiana (eg- went to college, grew up here) when it comes to getting plum work assignments and hence, promotions.
Pros
stable, good pay and benefits, smart colleagues, great focus on science
Cons
Limited opportunities to advance or get pay raises in the past few years.
Excellent benefits, no time for rest after overseas travel or excess overtime
Clinical Research Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisSeptember 30, 2018
Excellent benefits, no time for rest after overseas travel or excess overtime, my position required supervisory and directing clinical trial start up meetings with no pay adjustments. I was pleased to have traveled the world and received excellent training and skills in Project Management
Pros
Travel, training, opportunity, flexibility
Cons
Extreme schedules, opportunity for advancement was faulty or discriminatory, I performed Director level responsibilities, pay was not adjusted
Good work place!!!
Facilities Technician II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2018
This is a good place to work at because of all the great people that you will encounter while you are there, but management can sometimes be unfair, and as with all places there is favoritism. I think that this place is the first place where it is just EXTREMELY evident, so you have to just come in do your job, and don't let it affect you. Overall I honestly believe that it is a fantastic company, especially with all of the progress that has been made with all of the new medical treatments that have come from there.
Pros
Great environment, great coworkers, good benefits.
Cons
Epic amounts of favoritism!!!
Great Company to work for
Institutional Neuroscience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2019
The training program was Outstanding and they took great care of the new hires.
Workplace Culture was great.
Management was very fair to its employees and always treated me well.
Enjoyed working for this company very much!
Pros
Management was always fair and ethical, Employees who worked hard got fair treatment and compensation
Cons
Sometimes the bonuses were not very fair but still better than competitors.
Post-Doctoral Scientist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 26, 2018
Eli Lilly is a great place to work. The culture is friendly and conducive to good research. With a new CEO the company has also taken up several steps to be more competitive in the market and bring better and newer drugs in the pipeline. The company also has great health and wellness benefits, with an on-site fitness center and physical therapy center, counseling services, clinic, pharmacy etc.
Pros
Great work/life balance, good benefits, respect for individuals
Cons
Ineffective communication between different departments
Have had both great experiences and terrible ones
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2018
There are opportunities to do some amazing things and contribute to the greater good. The benefits are great and the people are very talented. Enterprise-level initiatives are definitely going in the right direction. However, although company is working to make strides on Diversity and Inclusion, it will take time for all employees at all levels to feel valued and open to share their ideas. Challenging the status quo, even if it is for the greater good, is more risky than it should be in the current environment. Some supervisors are absolutely amazing with their employees - supportive and helpful toward their success. However, in general, supervisors have too much power over their employees, so for those who are not open to hearing alternative ideas to their own, it can lead to employees feeling/being 'punished' for sharing a different perspective. I've experienced both types of supervisors here.
Good place to work, great benefits. Loved it!
Manufactory Oops (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2018
It was good whem I was there but I worked with a couple guys that were very difficult to work with. It could had been possible that they looked at me as a contract employee so they felt superior. It was said that other women had that position and they dealt with the same problem from these two. I resigned at that time, but I was not truly satisfied with that decision but I needed the peace.I felt belittled and I felt I could had been more productive during my training but I thought it was best. The supervision was good they did not put a lot of pressure on you , they wanted you to learn the job and be good at it. They offered many training classes and welcomed our input. Today I look back I really wish I had not resigned because I really liked that job it was very interesting. When I left the exit interview showed me how caring this company is, they wanted to make sure that I was not harassed or pushed out in any way, they made me feel special and appreciated. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked Eli Lilly, A great place to work.
benefits
Cons
the two guys i worked with
IF you live in Indy, good place to work
clinical data associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 28, 2019
Pay, benefits, and work/life balance are good.

Managers frequently change, many reorgs and restructuring. If you like to work from home this is NOT the company for you.

Promotions are granted based on management favoritisms rather than the employees work.

Lilly does NOT support teleworking.
Wonderful work/life balance
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 1, 2019
Whatever your situation, they are very considerate and willing to help you.
Great benefits
Competitive salaries
Pension/401K, etc.
Collaborative environment
Most people willing to teach or help you
Pros
Cafeterias on-site, Credit Union, Clinic
Cons
You have to like change, some poor management, everchanging jobs
Awesone company
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46285January 20, 2019
I enjoyed my position at Eli Lilly. The days were very busy and customer focused. Great environment, great management, great team players! And, great benefits.
Pros
stable income, valuable experience, work life balance, networking
Cons
time management, commute, routine
The culture changed
Sales (Former Employee) –  NunyaAugust 1, 2018
The changes implemented were for the benefit of the shareholders not the employees. Even to the point of diminishing the healthcare plan such that the medications covered were only generics not branded , which is crazy if you consider that Lilly manufactures branded products. Point being that money being saved and redirected any way and at any cost became the mantra, including cutting benefits and jobs.

It was a fabulous place to work at the outset. Good training. Not outstanding but good. The culture was fantastic , supportive , and well-balanced. Then the tide turned and it’s been a downhill slide since, which makes itself evident from the stock price to the docs offices.
Pros
Great coworkers, wonderful patient education materials
Cons
Priorities changed from patients to stockholders
Great job for 1st 10 years of employment
Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2019
Eli Lilly and Company is similar to many Fortune 500 pharma companies. People don't leave good companies like Lilly, they leave because of poor people in management positions.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Great salespeople that are promoted and become poor managers
Great Place to work
Global Facilities Delivery (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisFebruary 22, 2019
Would recommend to anyone. Great Culture and very inclusive. Very competitive benefits. Excellent work/life balance. Best company I ever worked for. Would work there again
Pros
Compensation and professional environment
Cons
A great place to work with awesome benefits
SR. SPECIALIST, HR-COMPENSATION ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 22, 2018
I would recommend working for Lilly.....the company has been around for 140 years, talk about job security! The benefits are unsurpassed and the culture is amazing.
Pros
On-site cafeterias, banking, dry cleaning, coffee shops, outdoor work areas
Cons
May be hard to promote without a Bachelor's Degree
Great work environment but very low salary for most pharmacist positions.
GLOBAL PRODUCT SAFETY CLINICAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2018
Lilly has a great work environment. Good managers and Team Leaders. Lots of opportunities for promotion or job transfers if you were interested. However, salary for pharmacists was quite a bit lower than retail, hospital, or clinical.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low salaries for most pharmacist positions
I love the job
Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  IowaSeptember 24, 2018
I really love my job .everyone there is super helpful and friendly it a very nice place to wk the facility is super clean climate controlled every thing has been provided to make you working experience a good on . On site full gyms basket ball courts catered in meals during week the benifits are amazing they have provided you with plenty option to ballance home and work life
Pros
Benifits catered in meals treat weeks
Cons
Over night shift
Excellent company to work for
Consultant-Project Manager GFD (Current Employee) –  Carolina, PRJanuary 26, 2019
Excellent company to work for, great compensation and benefits. Provides job security and stability, Management is aligned with company goals and strategy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eli Lilly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight