Eliot Community Human Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Unsupportive and discriminating place to work.
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJune 14, 2018
I worked as a Certified Peer Specialist for Eliot in their CBFS program. It is a very discriminating and unsupportive place to work. Because Eliot has grown to be so big it is going to be difficult for recent Certified Peer Specialists to work anywhere but this wretched place. Stay strong.
Benefits
Cons
Not recommended for people with children
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, MA 01880June 11, 2018
Poor experience. As a professional for over 20 years, it was my most mentally challenging position. Many ideas for improvement were not entertained and the clients appeared to not receive the services they needed to succeed. The staff is overworked and the turnover is too high.
run! don't walk away!
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAMay 23, 2018
Some of the managers were incompetent and just plain rude and mean.There were a few good ones who actually cared but were also not able to fix much because standing up for employees or yourself is committing career suicide. The management who have been part of Eliot for years will stick together and plot how to get rid of anyone they don't like and will stop at nothing. Including: Change your work hours and days,adding all kinds of extra chores and work etc. Anything to get you to leaveThe children are coddled and allowed to get away with all kinds of crazy behavior and often get rewarded for bad behavior!. The pay is low and the stress is high.
Pros
Cons
all of it
Non Profit
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 26, 2018
I love Eliot. Most the people who work there are caring members of society who want to give back and help people.

Great place to work in mental health and social services.

I work with kids and feel I can actually make a difference.
Echs
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MAApril 24, 2018
Eliot is a great place to gain knowledge of working with the chronically mentally ill. I have worked in the outreach setting for 5 years and have learned so many skills in helping individuals maintain their independence in the community.
Pros
Lots of benefits and up to 5 weeks off per year.
Cons
It can be stressful at times. If you under the right management, you will do well.
Hard work - don't be experienced!!!
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 14, 2018
A lot of what was good or bad depended on: how ill your clients were and how much crisis, how aware/trained your staff was and how much interaction you had with those above your manager. Program Managers - 90% were great. Coworkers, some great and experienced, others - warm bodies who didn't care and you could not make decisions with. I did not feel my input was valued in the agency. I did not feel valued in general from the agency. A typical day would be: transport, medical appointments, medication dispensing, cooking for 8, cleaning up, some form of required rehab. and notes, lots of assistance and interaction to facilitate ADL's and life management. Lots of cleaning, lots of work with medications, lots of wondering what CBFS wants from your plan when your person wants to be left alone.
Pros
Residents that I will never forget or stop caring about/ Activities with them
Cons
Lack of respect and large, repetitive workload. Money of course
Not trustworthy
Leader (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAApril 4, 2018
They say they are non-profit but that's not true. The higher ups get paid very well and they are quick to acquire an agency and then close it when they don't get a profit immediately. When this happens, they pretend to be supportive, but aren't. The morning of an office closing, they are there before 9 taking down the signs and changing the locks. I also seriously question if any of the higher ups (there are too many nonsense positions) are clinical at all. All flash - no substance.
Pros
they ruined their reputation of the Cape
Cons
management, false promises, lack of empathy
Eliot
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMarch 2, 2018
The promote people who are not ready and offer little support after that. It was an alright experience even though management was frequently hostile in the office
Entry-Level
Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAFebruary 28, 2018
I worked as a Therapeutic Mentor for about 7 months as an entry level position upon receiving my BA in Holistic Psychology. I think my department was great and I loved the Director, she was my direct supervisor and extremely supportive and knowledgeable. I left because of the work schedule and to pursue my masters. I would recommend if you love working with younger kids and don't mind having to pick-up/drop off throughout their communities. You also learn immensely about CBHI services including In-Home Therapy, Family Partners, DCF, Therapeutic & Training Supports, Intensive Care Coordination, etc.
Cons
Pay
efficient and well run office.
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, MAJanuary 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at Eliot. the people and office were pleasant and the responsibilities were challenging.

the employees were professional and i enjoyed the camaraderie..
Pros
Professional office environment
Cons
no cons
Stressful as any govt job
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJanuary 24, 2018
It is very sad that the quality of services for at-risk youth and their families is in the hands of the government. The people at Eliot actually do a great job with what they have, unfortunately they do not have a lot. I would have loved to keep this job if I didn't value my health, sanity, and personal life. I do not believe anyone should be so desperate for money that they feel they have to work here which was often the case with the hard-working staff I got to know.
Pros
It was my dream job
Cons
It was so poorly run I could not sustain it.
Good place to start out
Asst Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Malden, MAJanuary 8, 2018
Eliot isn't really the place to go if your looking to grow, they are not big on promotions or raises. But it's a good place to start out and get some experience, as far as staff they are all pretty self absorbed. The culture at the office is uptight and uncomfortable, people are nice but its not genuine.
Pros
Dental + Health
Cons
Short breaks
Management is hit or miss but overall great
Relief Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MADecember 9, 2017
Great benefits and management is a bit different depending on what division you work in. Union staff can make it challenging if the employee doesnt actually carry their weight at work.
Difficult and taxing working environment
Group Care Worker (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 26, 2017
Upper managements plans are often very well developed and based on evidence based approaches, but staff lack the numbers or facilities to effectively implement them.
Very little consistency in day to day operations
Youth culture is toxic and have extremely high recidivism rate.
High staff turnover rate, very little depth of experience to grow positive working cultures that sustain constructive operations.
Plenty of overtime with double pay for locked in shift rotations.
Middle management is generally overworked and juggling to many jobs at once and their ability to take on new tasks is diminished or solve rapidly evolving problems diminishes.
509 Union support is laughably ineffective, haven't seen a union boss in 6 years of employment, though Union Stewards are incredibly effective in their place.
Generally all staff get along well, the training is good and the therapy provided from clinical teams is consistent and adapts quickly to youth needs.
Pros
Make a difference in kids lives.
Cons
You won't make a difference in kids lives.
Excellent place to work
Team Leader DMH PATH (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2017
Excellent place to work. I love my supervisor and I enjoy supervising others. The benefits are nice and the team model is very helpful. I enjoy the natural supportive environment built by the team model.
Terrible place to work
Primary Case Manager/Vocational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAOctober 7, 2017
This is a terrible place to work, the management is awful and constantly changing therefore leaving you with no leadership or consistency in job details. The pay is low and should be much higher. Don't do it!
The most enjoyable part of the job
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAOctober 4, 2017
My co-workers are some of the most dedicated and empathetic people I know and everyday it is amazing to watch them work. The work is fast paced and hard but very fulfilling.
Pros
Attracts committed talented people
Cons
Burn out
Application Trainer Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MASeptember 30, 2017
I didn't realize that these reviews are required for an account here. It's probably a typical non-profit organization. Everyone was great to work with.
amazing company
Peer Recovery specialist (Current Employee) –  Danvers, MASeptember 21, 2017
This company is an absolutely amazing one the team atmosphere is strong where people help one another . the hardest part of the job is working with people that may not want the help. Management is so understanding and helpful.
Overall Good experience
Mental health specialist (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, MASeptember 6, 2017
I love my job and the company, management could be better(There's no I in team), great benefits and discounts. Little room for advancement within the company, versus all of the higher up open positions they have available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eliot Community Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight