Ellis Parking Company Employee Reviews

Worst company ever
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 21, 2019
I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy to work at this company cause they dont value any of the employees, lie about pay, and allow racism. No support from management at all!
Easy and freindly company to work for.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 4, 2019
This company is a very nice employer. They treat you well, and when you need something, they make it happen. The only complaint that I could possibly have is that they are very slow to give reviews and raises.
Hard on your body
Valet (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 22, 2019
Its a lot of running with not a lot of money. Management under pays employees and doesn't communicate at all. The uniforms are ill fitting and hard to get clean. They require long sleeves and long pants in 90°+ heat and don't provide enough heaters in the winter.
Easy
Valet Attendant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 21, 2019
This job is quite easy and simple, it's a good place to start off with. They have very flexible hours for those in school or with a second job. There also opportunities to move up in the company
Good
Stable Hand (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYSeptember 15, 2019
I enjoyed working on the backside but I'm looking for something more stable it has a peaceful atmosphere the people I met during racing season were extremely friendly my boss was very easy to get along with the only problem I had was some people didn't like the fact I was a butch gay female the made things hard sometimes
Pros
Good management
Cons
Hours not enough
boring
Valet Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 6, 2019
The hardest part of this job was that they were not fair at all people were treated differently and each person was paid differently. Tips were also unfair as well.
This is the easiest job on the planet but management makes it unbearable
Valet (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 18, 2019
I don't even know where to begin. The best part about this job is the friendships you make. I've met all my friends working here.

The worst part of Ellis is upper management. They do not care about any of the employees at the company, employees are nothing more than a number to them. This management believes that good leadership includes finding something wrong in every situation, regardless if there is anything wrong. I have not heard any positive feedback from upper management unless it is used to bring someone else down.

Management also partakes in unethical and illegal business activities. Most recently, management has implemented a new piece to the company uniform and IS TAKING MONEY OUT OF THE VALETS TIPS TO PAY FOR IT. The valets are told they need the new uniform piece but they are not told that THEIR TIPS ARE BEING TAKEN. In the past, management has attempted to lower people's pay rates WITHOUT TELLING THEM because management was upset the person in question put their two weeks in.

The company will also do everything in its power to pay workers as little as possible. I have seen them send valets home mid-shift to avoid paying them overtime. Raises are extremely rare and are not given out fairly. Some new valets were hired in several months ago and were getting paid more than valets who had been working here for over a year. Promotions are practically non-existent and you have to fight tooth and nail to get one. If you are lucky enough to get selected for a promotion, they will have you do the extra work for the position for 3 full months before they pay you
  more... proper wages. They write this off as a "training period" but it just translates into valet supervisors having the responsibility of running events and keeping the valets in line while getting paid the same rate as the valets they are supposed to be supervising.

Ther is a severe lack of communication at Ellis Parking. New valets are hardly trained and are thrown straight into the fire. Supervisors are not told who has been trained and who has not so it is a constant surprise on whether your workers for the day know what they are doing. Management will implement new policies without telling the valets or the supervisors and then yell at and berate the valets and supervisors for not implementing the changes that they were not told about.

Upper management constantly asks the managers and supervisors to come up with ways to improve the company but never actually listen to what they are told. The most memorable time of this is when I helped the supervisors compile a list of over 30 new ideas that could benefit the company (some ideas included better ways to train new valets, better ways of communication for the company, and ways to improve valet moral). This list of ideas was met with positive feedback when we gave it to upper management, but not a single idea from the list was ever attempted to be implemented. The only way to convince management to pursue your idea is if you can somehow convince management it was their idea so they can feel better about themselves.

Overall, this company has the potential to be a great place to work. The job is fun, it fits around most schedules, and you get to meet some great people. However, management does not value you at all and it is blatantly obvious.
Boring, boring, boring
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 26, 2019
You walk around a parking garage sweeping up cigarette butts. You end up sweeping up leaves from the winter snow melting as well as rocks. You may end up cleaning some windows. Mostly you sit around with nothing to do. Unless you are one of the idiots that wants to play on their ,cell phone all day this job is horrible.
Unsupportive Management Team
Valet Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 12, 2019
Extremely unprofessional work environment.
Signed up for 45-50 hours per week instantly averaging 60+ a week.
Severe lack of communication from the management Team
Severe lack of positive feedback
Only feedback you get is when you make mistakes(even when new)
Lies to employees/team
Condescending
Racist remarks from management team(this person is still employed even when the team is aware of these remarks)
I could be here for hours explaining
Pros
Freedom to move about between accounts
Cons
Extremely unprofessional management.
Stressful but decent
Valet Parking (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 3, 2019
Most of the restaurant shifts are pretty laid back, while events can go either way. However, when you get slammed, you get slammed HARD, and the hotel shift is an absolute nightmare.

PAY RATE IS ABSOLUTELY NOT AS ADVERTISED. You get paid based on the type of shift, it's a flat $12 hourly for events and the hotel, or a base $3.60 an hour for restaurants (before tips; the company comps to $10.50 after.)

Also, you'll probably hear about a 50% discount for valets at Ruth's Chris. That discount does exist, I've used it. However, I cannot confirm anything about off-duty valets using it. That said, if you have a moment and the money to try, bring a steak home, you won't regret it.

Personally, I'd say work/life balance was pretty good, but that's because I have little life to balance against - you can put in preferences but it's tough to get specific days off and schedules are written by the orangutan on top of the totem pole, and he has very little respect for his employees' time. Or his employees in general, really.

Which reminds me. Most of your coworkers are great. Most of the managers and supervisors are great. However, upper management - and you'll learn their names quickly but Indeed doesn't want me including "personally identifiable information, such as names" - is composed of two people who very visibly have no idea what the heck your job is and very visibly couldn't care less. They make terrible decisions and blame their subordinates when those decisions fail. The ape in charge is that sort of well off where he thinks he can talk down to people who aren't
  more... in his position, but feels the need to brown-nose to the people who are better off than him.

tl;dr, There's a lot I loved about this job, but it's stressful, it doesn't pay nearly what the ads are saying, and the man in charge is infuriatingly confident that his head is, in fact, his backside.
Pros
Cool cars, great coworkers, employee discount
Cons
Stressful, low pay, incompetent upper management
Valet Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 13, 2019
I would never recommend this place for job it is a complete Disaster, they don’t give you breaks and expect you to run all day like your not a human they talk to you any kind of way.
Pros
Horrible place to work
Cons
Horrible place to work
Terrible management
Valet (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 27, 2019
I was not paid on time for the hours I worked. No one logged my hours for my first day of work and that had to be added to a check I still have not received. Employees at Butterworth Hospital are staged in an unheated and non-ventilated room. There are multiple OSHA violations taking place including the above as well as there being no OSHA postersor Labor Law posters, no first aid kits and no protective gear provided for harsh weather. I got pneumonia my first full week of work and had to pay all expenses because the insurance they provide does not kick in upon hire.
Pros
Paid break
Cons
Terrible management, low pay
Fun place to work
Valet (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 25, 2019
I loved parking for Ellis. I love meeting and parking the patients and surgeons cars. You can have your pros and cons with any company. But it's a good place to work for.
Pros
Drivinging cool cars, sometimes free lunch, laid back and small emeployment
Cons
driving filthy cars and cold weather
It's great for college students to an extent
Valet (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 12, 2018
This employment experience was a good start when it came to Grand Rapids. The pay was good for what I did, which involved parking cars around Spectrum Health hospital, and helping customers when needed. The job can be slow-paced some days, and fast-paced on other days. This job does provide you with customer service experience, as you interact with people almost all of the time. The supervisors I worked with were good people, and were willing to hear you out when any issues arise.

However, unless you permanently live in Grand Rapids, I would not recommend this job to a college student away from home. When the holidays came around, I found it very difficult to get time off to go home for Christmas to see my family several hours away. With that being said, the time-off is usually very flexible and I had no problem getting other days off when needed.

The one thing that is somewhat concerning is the fact that you cannot have your phone out on the job. I understand that it portrays a negative image to customers, but in the case of an urgent call, you basically have to use the restroom or go to the break room (which has little to no signal), and will create issues among staff.
Pros
Set schedule every week, tips, good pay for the work you do
Cons
Short breaks, parking 10 minutes away from workplace, working in the winter
Productive workplace but no breaks and very professional image
VALET DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Rockford, MIOctober 19, 2018
A typical day at Ellis as a valet is completely dependent on how many people show up at the event you are working at. It could either be very crowded and stressful, or it could be a laid back and easy day where you get out early. A down side of this is no matter how late you are scheduled if there are still cars you have to stay.
Pros
tips
Cons
no breaks and no food
Horrible Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 30, 2018
This is a good job for a student since you can study and I did enjoy my coworkers. However, just know that the manager is a very difficult/horrible manager. He does not recognize good employees and as a result has problems keeping them. He is know to yell at employees, talk down to them as if they were children, and take advantage of them when he thinks he can get away with it. Because of his dictator management style he is always short staffed. If you take this job just know that you will need to be your own advocate because he will bully you if he thinks he can get away with it. Additionally, do not try to go above and beyond in this job because it will not get recognized. I would personally recommend skipping over this position since there are plenty of other jobs out there that pay the same with a better work enviornment. You are worth more than this job can offer.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
worst manager I have ever dealt with
Great place to work for work/life balance. Decent pay for Valet.
Valet Attendent (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2018
I love my job here at Ellis Parking. I love the customers and my coworkers are awesome. The thing that aggravates me is the fact that the supervisors will write you up for any reason, whether it'd be slouching by a podium when it's dead, or when they see your phone in your pocket, but 5 minutes later they'll all be on their phones texting or scrolling through Facebook. I've been here 1 year and I'm disappointed to see a large turnover rate, but I see why that is.
Pros
Pays alright hourly plus tips.
Cons
Too much micromanagement, disciplinary action for petty things. Short breaks. Large turnover rate.
Great hours, employees and upper management!
Valet (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 25, 2018
Ellis Parking is a company that caters to many in all stages of life. The hours can be flexible for a college student, as well as plentiful for someone looking for a full time role. The upper management looks after their employees and sets a great work environment! Great place to work!
Pros
Great hours/ great management
Work Life
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2017
Ellis Parking provides great customer service and teaches the fundamental of teamwork goal achievements. I take pride in completing great tasks. Teamwork is key in achieving big jobs/assignments and I work to great with people.
VALET (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 26, 2017
The Spectrum Hospital location is awful, the manager is catty and nasty. After I found out I was sick I told the management team and the two women were very rude about the entire situation, treated it as a burden. They took more then $200 of my tips that were reported as earned federally and when I went back to the location to collect the remaining tips the manager was once again VERY rude.