Ellis Parking Company

Ellis Parking Company Employee Reviews

Ellis Parking Company insights

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging

Work-Life Balance

Management is unprofessional, the uniforms are inappropriate for the job, physical demands are intense, you get to drive cool cars.

Management definitely plays favorites with the valets. They’ll enforce rules only on certain employees. Upper management has always been extremely unprofessional from the numerous experiences I’ve had with them. The supervisors are good people, just vastly overworked and definitely underpaid. As far as the company itself, it’s main priority is customer satisfaction, which is good and bad. At the job sites I’ve worked at, the company has always had trouble getting the appropriate accommodations from the contractor company. This comes in the form of hiring more staff, getting new signs, getting bigger signs, and also getting the valets the appropriate clothing. If you’re going to offer/have a very strict uniform, at least provide it fully and without difficulty. I had a coworker who went the entire spring and summer without getting short sleeved shirts because management couldn’t get it together and put the order in for them. The physical demands are strenuous. You’re supposed to run everywhere, literally run, and if you walk you get a verbal warning. Talk about an eight hour shift, in the heat of summer and the cold of winter, running outside all day. Only apply for this position if you’re athletic. You do get to meet some fun people, though. You can meet some good friends here, however the turnover rate is pretty high. If you have a scheduling issue or need your shifts moved around, management is usually able to accommodate you. They have very flexible scheduling, which is great for high school or college students. Lastly, and this is just my opinion, you get to drive -

Pros

Good at accommodating schedules for classes, provide jackets in the fall and winter, fun coworkers, some cool cars

Cons

Management is very unprofessional, poor and outdated uniforms for the job, horrible customers

Exciting

Something unordinary happens everyday, cool place to work at, great first job, lots of running and standing no sitting down or cellular devices allowed.

Pros

Full benefits

Cons

30 minute breaks

Family environment.

Enjoy the close family connections and how you feel like family. The boss and coworkers check in when you are feeling ill. Just a great atmosphere to work in.

Under Paid and Over Worked

Good Co-Workers and possibility for a flexible schedule are the Pros. Hard work running all day outdoors and thankless customers and management are the Cons. Poor pay for high expectations.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Poor Pay, Terrible Management, Hard Outdoor Work

just don't

A typical work day is basically just parking cars and helping people any way you can when they come in. Management is an absolute joke. There is five people doing something that one person could/should do. The communication is nonexistent and don't expect anything to improve. Basically if you're in college and looking for some easy money, this is the perfect job for you.

Pros

Flexible for College Student

Cons

Shady AF

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Fun atmosphere

Enjoyed the managers and fellow employees. New employees are asked to work big events with the other valets while experienced employees are asked to work restaurants or smaller events.

Horrible management

I worked for this company and experienced nothing but disrespect, sexism, and low pay. The management is horrible and uncommunicative. They do not care about their employees at all. They share tips and split them "Evenly" which is false, there were times where I would be 50$ short on tips. The managers are disrespectful and do not know how to properly "regulate" employees when one has did something wrong or incorrect. There's favoritism, sexism, and racisms. To work here is a waste of time. The only thing I learned from working here is how to not treat people.

Sucks

All around a bad place to work management sucks talks down on employees make racist remarks and constantly play favorites with valets leading to overworking others

Good coworkers, bad management

The management team lies to workers about the rate of pay, often messes up hours on payroll, has poor leadership, and in general, does not care about the employees very much. Customer satisfaction is the only thing that matters to Ellis Parking. I have seen management refuse valets water breaks when they are on the verge of heatstroke, I have seen management express racist views with no repercussion, and I have seen management take money from the valet's tips to pay for equipment. Also, there is a $150 uniform deposit that must be taken out of your paycheck. When you leave the company, they will not return the full amount. In fact, some people have not gotten their deposit back at all. The only "benefit" of working at this company is the friends you make. However, the turnover rate is so high that most people don't stay for more than two months. Run away from this job as fast as you can

Very unprofessional and super unsupportive of there worker’s and they are very disrespectful

This is a terrible place to work The head manager’s are rude and disrespectful they treat the workers like cattle and not like human beings they have no compassion

Jobs at Ellis Parking Company

See more jobs

The coworkers are fun but management and the pay sucks

I have so many complaints that I could be writing for hours. I’ll start with the only redeeming quality: sometimes you get to work with fun coworkers and get to be good friends. This is the only reason I stayed as long as I did. The Bad: Management is unbearable, they do not pay you the rate advertised, they will often mess up your check, they pay two different rates depending on where you work which makes it hard to calculate your pay, managers who are still with the company have made racist remarks to customers and upper management knows and did nothing, one of the managers of the VALET company has a DUI and cannot drive customer or company vehicles but management knew this when they hired him, they fire valets for questioning their shady business choices, everything wrong at the company is the valets fault and never managements, and I could go on and on. Only work at Ellis Parking if EVERY OTHER JOB ON THE PLANET has turned you down. I’d give negative stars if I could.

Pros

Fun coworkers (sometimes)

Cons

Over worked, underpaid, not respected, no chance to move up in company, lack of communication from management, I could go on and on

Run

Bad company, especially upper management. Pay is a lie they don't pay $12 and your paycheck will be short hours. Don't let their nice office and toys fool you, it's all smoke and mirrors. Sad sad company.

Absolutely tragic sh*tshow thanks to upper management

The job is underpaid because of the physical labor as well as the ridiculous expectations of the company (such as standing outside for an entire 6 hour shift in 0 degree weather. Also known as confusing employee suffering for good customer service). Management engages in shady practices (spying on you to make sure you’re abiding by ridiculous guidelines, I’ve seen people question their checks. This company puts their own employees absolutely last on their priorities, and it shows in the high turnover. The Ann Arbor management is fine, but the Grand Rapids upper management is an absolute toxic nightmare, and I hope they get their comeuppance.

Good part time job, untrustworthy upper management.

I worked for Ellis Parking intermittently for 3 years and enjoyed the job and immediate management, and the schedule flexibility was great but has become nonexistent. Toward the end of my employment I was often scheduled out of my availability or given incorrect shift times. I would have withheld my poor review but I put a deposit of $150 down for my uniform when I was hired and after I returned my full uniform and requested my deposit back I was only sent $30.

Great Job w/Flexibility

I love working for Ellis, they will work around a school or job schedule. However, if you don't like running or standing for long periods please don't apply for this job because they are a requirement. The base pay isn't bad and the tips you make are great. The one bad thing is management won't promote from within, whenever they have an opening for a supervisor or management position they always seem to hire from the outside rather than promote from within and hire in at the bottom.

Pros

Flexibility, variety, tips

Cons

Do Not Promote From Within

Sort of Flexible for students... and that's about the only good thing

I started working at Ellis almost two years ago and it was great at first. Hours were reasonably flexible which was great while attending college. Things started going down hill really since before I started, but really started going down hill when one of our regional managers was let go (persuaded to quit). Since then Upper Management has started doing more unethical practices as well as Illegal Practices. I know for a fact they took money out of employees tips without their written (or verbal) concent, I've also heard complaints from other employees about racial remarks from upper management along with upper management flirting with employees and contacting them outside of work. HR is related too many other employees or managers so they rarely do anything about complaints brought up. I also wouldn't be surprised if I had hours I was not paid for however I can't be sure since I didn't keep track of my own hours and check for it on my paycheck. However I do know employees who did and found they had missing pay. While being short staffed Ellis is trying to expand, they bought out the only other valet company in grand rapids, acquiring their accounts when they could barely staff their own and are continuing to try to expand while actively losing employees. The job itself can be enjoyable, however they implemented a new app we use to keep track of cars along with tickets now. This leads to longer wait time and unhappy customers but management doesn't care. Overall Ellis makes money from parking ramps and they have valet to be diversified but if you're looking to work -

Ok for a first job

the lower management is terrible. The supervisors only care about you doing your job. It seems like there is no teamwork, most of the employees do the bare minimum and no one seems to care. The coworkers are alright(if you don’t mind weed). I’m sure it would be a better place to work if the company was cleaned up a little and the focused on their employees

Worst company ever

I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy to work at this company cause they dont value any of the employees, lie about pay, and allow racism. No support from management at all!

Easy and freindly company to work for.

This company is a very nice employer. They treat you well, and when you need something, they make it happen. The only complaint that I could possibly have is that they are very slow to give reviews and raises.

Hard on your body

Its a lot of running with not a lot of money. Management under pays employees and doesn't communicate at all. The uniforms are ill fitting and hard to get clean. They require long sleeves and long pants in 90°+ heat and don't provide enough heaters in the winter.

Easy

This job is quite easy and simple, it's a good place to start off with. They have very flexible hours for those in school or with a second job. There also opportunities to move up in the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ellis Parking Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6