Ellucian
62Average

Ellucian Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA40 reviews
Great culture and flexibility; progressive practices in most areas
There's a focus on employee and customer experience as well as the journey to become a cloud software provider. Overall, the culture is inclusive, collaborative, and flexible.
No job security, Employee loyalty, Managers, and Excitives cannot be trusted.
I worked at Ellucian for seven years. At the time when I started, they had very few new client sales which was the backbone of the company. I helped build and pretty much single-handedly deploy a Professional Services Solution which brought in millions of dollars in client revenue and probably saved the company in a time of economic crises. The result of the new revenue source helped Ellucian to buy out their biggest competitor.
The internal response to my hard work was jealousy, animosity, and finally my layoff because I fell under an incompetent and clueless manager and the former executives of the competitor company.

My typical work week for six years was to travel on-site for hands-on teaching of both hardware and software installations, documentations, and integrations. I covered up to two, and sometimes even three clients, per week traveling to different states. By the conclusions of my visits, I made sure the clients had a fully working and operational Live/Production System, Development System, and Test System. I often worked 16 hour days with no assistance and no managerial support.

Everything about this job was hard because only a person with the skillset and knowledge of multiple UNIX and Windows environments, databases, User Directories, backend hardware, Disaster Recovery systems, and many more client-specific requirements could do this job successfully.
Long hours and Many Reorganizations
Be prepared to work 60 plus hour weeks and deal with constant change. They seem to be on a schedule to reorganize every six months which means new bosses, processes, etc.
Pros
Remote work, working with cutting edge cloud technologies
Cons
Open concept work environment allowing for collaboration
Most enjoyable aspect of this job was the remote work status. Also worked for a great team and manager. Average work day was helping development teams with environment challenges and upgrades.
Productive Workplace
We were able to work with a variety of customers with complex problems. These felt the most challenging to me.There were a variety of difficulty levels of different problems.
Pros
Work from home at any time
Cons
Healthcare
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Toxic
Leadership that does not lead or manage and has no clear vision. Management and senior employees who have never worked outside the company and have NO perspective on issues. Everything is an ongoing discussion, with no one willing to make a decision for fear of hurting feelings. Uneven and arbitrary compensation and raises. A 'performance review' system that came out of a cracker-jack box and is so blatantly, insultingly bad that the majority of people, managers and employees alike, completely ignore it. Employee Incentive award efforts that stall and end up destroying morale because management stops reviewing or approving award nominations for employees after a few months. Teams with no clear scope of responsibility or understanding of any other team's scope of responsibility... Organizational roadmaps and mission statements that get discussed in monthly all hands meetings by leadership but have never been written down...
Pros
culture of mediocrity
Cons
everything else
Would Recommend
Ellucian definitely takes care of its employees. The pay is good and my experience with management was positive. My only complaint would be it was hard to change jobs.
Pros
True concern for well-being of employees
Cons
Hard to advance
Lots of change
Many reorganizations happening right now thus the loss of my position. The scope of reorganizations are not fully shared. One does not know when someone is impacted until look for them and they are gone.
Work with Great People that enjoy supporting Higher Education
Ellucian offers wide range of growth opportunities and the ability to work remote. They sell to Higher Education across the board whether it is Software, SaaS, Professional Services, Technology Management, & Cloud offerings. People all buy into the goal of progressing Higher Education to create a stronger workforce and better life in general

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with good people that believe in the mission of the Company.
Pros
Set up to allow folks to work remote if needed
Cons
Constant change in technology creates regular challenges
fun Work Place
productive and fun workplace. good work-life balance, well management nice to be hired by Ellucian they will treat their employees in a good manner and provide the better thing for work.
great place to work
needs some improvement but new CEO has a good direction and hopefully the movement will trickle down. business groups are very siloed and separate from one another
Great purpose, great colleagues
Awesome, mid-sized, global company with a fantastic purpose-- you can impact the lives of students and college/universities around the world-- and super co-workers. Company is highly virtual and dynamic. Growth strategy in place.
Pros
purpose, flexibility, caring colleagues
Cons
Lots of change (which can be exciting), if you want more 'status quo' this may not be the place for you
Company ruled by VC
This company owned by a VC company who feel like they are stuck with a lemon and keep shuffling top mgmt brass in the hope they will be able to exit gracefully with minimum damage. This company is playing in a very niche sandbox and none of the major software houses are interested in acquiring them. Hence, there is no bright future for this company.
Pros
there is nothing good about this company
Cons
too many to list in here, but this company is full of bad politics and dead beats.
Unstable and freequent leadership changes - never sure whats correct
This use to be a good place to work. Frequent leadership changes and shifts in direction make it unstable and uncertain what is the correct or desired action to take in any given situation. Sometimes it feels like a ship at sea with no one in the wheel house or worse yet multiple skippers in the wheel house arguing over who is going to steer the ship! Recent HR changes for annual reviews has turned into a joke. No documentation and no ratings. Has become a popularity contest and a managers nightmare. No means to document performance good or bad or document discussions. Calls for periodic discussions that are a waste of tine due to no means to document them to reflect back on for progress at the next discussion. The answer is managers and employee take personal notes and use those thus in a conflict it becomes a he said she said situation..
Pros
Its a living
Cons
Unstable, freequent leadership changes, never sure whats correct
Great Places to Work!
Ellucian is a GREAT PLACE TO WORK, I have worked at the company currently 2 1/2 years. I really enjoy my co-workers and boss. This is a laid back company with great perks.
Pros
Work Remote at times
Great Company
The most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with colleagues to provide clients with the best customer service. Very good place to work; compensation is fair; advancement opportunities.
Pros
Compensation/benefits
Cons
Too much travel
Fun Place to work
I interned at Ellucian for 6 months but I was treated just like a regular employee. Everyone is so kind and warm. There is an open office policy so it makes collaborating with team members so much easier. Seeing the CEO or any other high executive daily is a normal thing. There is a cafeteria in the building. The food isn't free but it is very affordable. Also a very festive office. They go all out for every major holiday
Pros
Great coworkers and managers
Work Life Balance
Good work-life balance. Colleagues are great to work with and are passionate about their job. Salary and benefits are competitive with other technology firms.
Fantastic workplace
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career, you may easily find it here. They reinvest in their employees and encourage growth and learning. It is a great place to work!
Fully Satisfied
I am Fully Satisfied working at Ellucian. Work culture was perfect. 8 hours day, technology savvy, challenging, competitive, delivery, project planning. Road mapping.
Pros
Fully Satisfied
Cons
Great place to work, great people to work with
I have enjoyed working for Ellucian trememndously in my role of software developer, and hope I can continue to do so.
The work is enjoyable, there are always learning opportunities, the environment is constructive and supportive of innovation, and I really enjoyed working with the people I worked with.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ellucian. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.