Elm City Market Employee Reviews

Bad reputation
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 17, 2018
This "store" was a real cute idea but we are done experimenting now. Can we get a real grocery store now like a Trader Joe's? It is an overpriced, elitist operation that does nothing for the real residents of the city.
Cons
Prices, employees stink, upper management stinks
Kitchen management is cut throat.
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 7, 2018
Very cold and calculating kitchen manager. Swears she's not prejudiced but her actions contradict her words. Was the worst employment experience in my 60 years. Very closed minded upper bosses also.
Pros
Some of my co workers were on the level
Cons
Management sucks.
No job security
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 13, 2018
The company itself is not bad, they offer decent benefits. Human resource is never available or in the building,so they're no type of help.which leaves employees at a loss. If management was held to the same standards as the other employee's, the store would improve. I didn't find it to be a fair place to work
Pros
pleasant coworkers
Cons
Unexperienced managers
This job suck it’s like a prison
Deli Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 21, 2018
It’s like a bad day in high school over and over again management has no training and basically do what they want just sad hr is a big joke only good thing is the food inside the store
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Owners and managers suck
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 18, 2018
The management is very poor , they fire multiple people per week. You work a lot of hours and do not get paid the amount you should be paid. Human Resources are not a help when you come to them . You are not allowed to change department if you do not like the department you are working in .
Great Work Place
Meat & Seafood Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 6, 2018
As a former worker of Elm City Market ,I would recommend it a place to shop and work. It is a calm cool collective place and great people who can help and assist you.
Poorly managed, could be great place to work
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 21, 2017
Every time I come on this website, they seem to have the same people leaving their positions are being fired or I don't even know. The lack of management, or the overbearing micromanagement is too much to take. Like I said in my description, it could be a really really good place and there's a lot of potential. It's just not there yet.
loved that job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 2, 2017
It was very important to always make sure that my job was done on time. The most enjoyable part of my job was the look on people face when that love what you had made them
very confuing work place(stressful)
lead cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 5, 2017
my co-workers were the best, what kept me coming back everyday.the management was very iffy most of them wore there personal baggage on their sleeve. the time i was there we had 3 kitchen managers. i learned a lot from the last chef. the hardest part of the job was trying to please the owners, the were in the kitchen everyday changing things and then we (the kitchen staff) would do exactly has they said the, next day they would come in and say they didn't want that anymore which became a huge problem after a while for everyone.
Pretty stressful environment depending on the day and who is working.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 16, 2016
Typical day at work is really easy for the most part, it is the environment that really starts to get to you. There is little to no respect that is given to the employees from the people up top. This job taught me to really be patient with people because it can get to you sometimes, you just have to know how to handle the stress and the pressure. Management for the most part is okay but every job has a few bad apples in the bunch. Overall it just is not the job for me but I do appreciate the opportunity they are giving me because at the end of the day a job is a job.
Very little positive to say about this experience
Produce and Bulk Department Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 17, 2016
Potential for great success not realized due to upper management, many talented employees have come and gone due to the same issues.
It was good while it lasted
IT/P.O.S. Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 7, 2015
I worked at ECM at it's beginning. It was a great place to be. People were supportive, creative and innovative. Now, it is some weird store in New Haven that I know nothing about.
Unsecured job environment
IT Support Cashier Marketing Scanning Coordinator. (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 4, 2014
Management divided among friends and when its time for disciplinary action none is taken. Credit for multiply positions are not honored.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Under paid, poor management, no union.
Fun workplace
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 6, 2013
A typical day would include a general assessment of the store. I would pay close attention to cold drink stock levels and sale items.

I learned that energy and dedication is not enough, one most also have a great team, and interacting with that team is key. Communication is key.

Management is a bit trickier to describe. I received many conflicting orders and I times I was sent out to reprimand associates at others requests.

My coworkers were awesome. I expect a lot out of myself, so I expected the same energy out of the others on my team.

The hardest part of my job was disappointing the customer if we did not have an item they were looking for.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers. I love seeing people have an enjoyable experience while shopping.
Pros
Awesome customer base, great products
Cons
Workplace drama
Fun work envirionment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 12, 2013
Clean up store and make sure bathrooms were cleaned out the night before. I learned how to use a floor cleaning machine.

I got along with all co- workers and mangement.

The hardest part of the job was when departments made their garbage to heavy to lift.

I enjoyed working in the store environment.
Pros
discounts on lunch
a bright and Sunny place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 6, 2012
this was a fun and great place to work. Especially working with a group of diverse group of people. Each day was different and learned something different. I learned how to rotate products and also how to give great customer service skills to the customer. Customer Service plays a big role the Elm City Environment. Being a cashier also plays a big role in customer service. Since we are the last people to see the customer they tell us everything that happened during their shopping experience.
Nice store front downtown area
Prep Cook/Salad Bar Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 15, 2012
I like working there, the co-workers were great to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elm City Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4