Elm City Market Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
owners are terrible
Store Director/Year Consulting Contract (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 15, 2017
owners fire at will for no reason
did learn a lot
met some good contaxts
best part was the employees
worst part was dealing with investors who treat the company as a hobby rather than a business
loved that job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 2, 2017
It was very important to always make sure that my job was done on time. The most enjoyable part of my job was the look on people face when that love what you had made them
Pretty stressful environment depending on the day and who is working.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 16, 2016
Typical day at work is really easy for the most part, it is the environment that really starts to get to you. There is little to no respect that is given to the employees from the people up top. This job taught me to really be patient with people because it can get to you sometimes, you just have to know how to handle the stress and the pressure. Management for the most part is okay but every job has a few bad apples in the bunch. Overall it just is not the job for me but I do appreciate the opportunity they are giving me because at the end of the day a job is a job.
Very little positive to say about this experience
Produce and Bulk Department Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 17, 2016
Potential for great success not realized due to upper management, many talented employees have come and gone due to the same issues.
It was good while it lasted
IT/P.O.S. Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 7, 2015
I worked at ECM at it's beginning. It was a great place to be. People were supportive, creative and innovative. Now, it is some weird store in New Haven that I know nothing about.
Unsecured job environment
IT Support Cashier Marketing Scanning Coordinator. (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 4, 2014
Management divided among friends and when its time for disciplinary action none is taken. Credit for multiply positions are not honored.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Under paid, poor management, no union.
Fun workplace
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 6, 2013
A typical day would include a general assessment of the store. I would pay close attention to cold drink stock levels and sale items.

I learned that energy and dedication is not enough, one most also have a great team, and interacting with that team is key. Communication is key.

Management is a bit trickier to describe. I received many conflicting orders and I times I was sent out to reprimand associates at others requests.

My coworkers were awesome. I expect a lot out of myself, so I expected the same energy out of the others on my team.

The hardest part of my job was disappointing the customer if we did not have an item they were looking for.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers. I love seeing people have an enjoyable experience while shopping.
Pros
Awesome customer base, great products
Cons
Workplace drama
Fun work envirionment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 12, 2013
Clean up store and make sure bathrooms were cleaned out the night before. I learned how to use a floor cleaning machine.

I got along with all co- workers and mangement.

The hardest part of the job was when departments made their garbage to heavy to lift.

I enjoyed working in the store environment.
Pros
discounts on lunch
a bright and Sunny place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 6, 2012
this was a fun and great place to work. Especially working with a group of diverse group of people. Each day was different and learned something different. I learned how to rotate products and also how to give great customer service skills to the customer. Customer Service plays a big role the Elm City Environment. Being a cashier also plays a big role in customer service. Since we are the last people to see the customer they tell us everything that happened during their shopping experience.
Nice store front downtown area
Prep Cook/Salad Bar Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 15, 2012
I like working there, the co-workers were great to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elm City Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8