Elmira College Employee Reviews

Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYMarch 29, 2018
The work environment was decent, the manger of the department I worked for always found or had us doing things to make the job site look presentable to the public.
Pros
Paid sick and vacation time
Very Stressful Environment, Hostile at times
Assistant Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYMarch 22, 2018
If you like being overworked and under paid, this is the place for you. There is a board of "Trustees", much like congress of America, that make foolish decisions. The trustees do not see this as an institution of teaching, but more like a business. Budget cut backs, and teachers having to double up on work loads, due to a desire to pay only the bare minimum to 90% of the staff. While others make more than they should for there mediocre efforts.

One of the last meetings I had with Management and my fellow tradesmen, HVAC Techs, The Carpenters, Locksmith, Electricians, etc...We were asked to please stay employed at the college and work as a team to fulfill work orders with no reward.

I will not mention names, but...upper management told us, Tradesmen,..."there is no money for raises for anyone. If we wanted a raise to go find another job".
Pros
You get a Paid Christmas Vacation
Cons
More than likely you will not like the Decission making abilities, or lack there of, from the House of Congress
Great work environment for growth and development
General Elementary Tutor (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I loved working at Elmira College. I would highly recommend. It helped me to grow in many different ways and further my passion to help make a difference.
College
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJune 12, 2017
I thought Elmira College provided a strong learning environment to succeed and grow. The small class sizes allow for students to gain strong individual attention from professors.
Pros
small class sizes
Cons
bad location
Enjoyable environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 8, 2017
The hours were always available regardless of class schedule. On busier weeks I could work less and with heavier course loads the employers were very flexible.
Instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 24, 2017
worked here for a year as a instructor. Most colleagues were arrogant and cold. Pay was horrible. Students expected you to be their employee--if they are not pleased there will be severe consequences.
Nursing department
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYJanuary 4, 2017
The fellow instructors in the nursing department are supportive and encourage feedback from clinical instructors. The department has a simulation lab that is up to date with current technology.
elitist culture
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NY 14901December 11, 2016
Administration does not work with nor appreciate the input of faculty and staff.The college is interested in monetary aspects of the business rather than providing adequate education. The faculty is expected to work with limited resources; some programs are poorly staffed but the school advertises low student to faculty ratio- not true in all departments.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
poor administration communication and professional consideration
its an okay place to work if your in need of a job
Assistant Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 30, 2016
start my day by cleaning the perimeter of the building, empty trash the make sure i have all the cleaning supplies that im going to need for my shift. I would dust, mop, sweep, wipe, all general areas such as lounge and bathrooms.
If you like your wage now youll love it at retirement.
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 26, 2016
I was an hvac tech here. It's a terrible working environment. The management is poor. The conditions are primitive. Nepotism is rampant.
I worked less then a year here and anyone who wants a future at elmira college is a fool. You'll risk your life working in conditions filled with asbestos and poorly maintained equipment. It's not the workers fault most of the time. The management doesn't spend money to fix things right. Epoxy is the trade leaders go to repair for anything. The department head is ignorantly oblivious to what's going on. Also don't walk or ride on the grass because they don't make new of that everyday at elmira college. I personally don't see this place being open for much longer with the rampant debt.
Now the students are getting a education equal to a low rated public highschool. I'm a fairly smart person and sat in one of the science classes. They were learning a subject that I learned about in middle school.
Productive and Fun work Place
American Sign Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 22, 2016
I was able to use my American Sign Language skills to further improve the learning experience for other ASL students. Students who played sports and students who were struggling with remembering the material came to me to practice signing.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Didn't give me enough hours to work with the students.
College
Elmira College Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 11, 2016
Through my four years at Elmira College I have been given the opportunity to have many different and diverse clinical experiences. The knowledge I have gained throughout my time here has prepared me and given me the tools needed for success.
ok
VEHICLE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMarch 30, 2016
work 7-330 Monday thru Friday. work all areas nice place to work but don't get raises very often people are nice to work for
Cons
Manager Housekeeping and special projects (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYJune 16, 2015
I oversee 25 full time employees in various Resident halls and office buildings on a day to day basis. I also oversee a variety of special functions and setups. I have a diverse employee base and enjoy the differences. in approaching them.
Pros
Great work enviorment
Cons
Wage
N/a
N/A (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 20, 2015
Useful to work here to gain an advanced degree, but unfortunately most employees are unable to stay longer than that because the compensation is so low.
college job
STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  elmira nyApril 22, 2015
It is a great job and I love going to work every day. Able to pick my hours around a college schedule. The school is great and friendly staff
Productive and fun work place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elmira NYFebruary 5, 2015
My typical day is to teach undergraduate Japanese language classes of 6-15 students, design curriculum and assess student progress.
Stay away
Campus Security Student Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 4, 2015
***These poor reviews are speaking to the highest management of the college, not necessarily from what I experienced***

I witnessed corruption, disrespect, contempt, and manipulation throughout my four years working in different campus offices. This does NOT mean I experienced this treatment in the security office from my boss or co-workers.
Student position
Chemistry Department Stockroom Attendent (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 29, 2014
This was a student position, this cannot be filled unless you are attending the college
Great College
Assistant Men's Varsity Coach (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYAugust 8, 2014
This college provides you various opportunities to become acquainted with higher education. It not only provides you a skill set within your discipline but also allows you to explore other opportunities within the college.