Elsevier
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

Elsevier Employee Reviews

United States364 reviews

reedpublishingpublisheroutsourcebalanceworklifeglobalcolleague

Poor work environment in poor industry - books

Little to no management support for employees; HR policies poorly communicated. Benefits are miserly and are getting worse. Poor work environment in poor industry - books

Elsevier is very stable and has a great network of possible roles and people.

I started in customer service 20+ years ago, moved to technical consulting / field application scientist, customer consultant , technical sales and now account management.Elsevier plays in many different fields so can learn a lot!! Also the network and people are great.

Elsevier insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility

Friendly Employer

Good colleagues.hybrid work environment based on departmental requirements.autonomous working skills.Opportunities for growth appear to exist and are encouraged.

Fantastic place to work

Amazing culture and benefits that make you miss the Company once you leave. Salaries are on a lower end. Multitude of support groups and community events.

Productive and very Technologically savvy

They are very technical and use technology to make our jobs easier and a more productive and learning experience.We know all about every article published, how many people read, downloaded, printed or shared it. This helps determined which topics to research.

Pros

Flexible work time, good benefits

Cons

Need to work on inclusion and diversity

As of 2017, a gaggle of departments and a mess of a company

I don't know if things have massively changed in the last five years, but when I worked at Elsevier it was a bunch of disconnected, discombobulated compartments, none receiving the support they needed to properly pay their people or often fix the problems that were in play at any given time. Little to no money was supplied for employee satisfaction (we were forced to assemble a team and were expected monthly to try and cheer up our department with no resources) and, save for an occasional general meeting, everyone was left to their own devices without company leadership/guidance/assistance of any kind. The tech support team constantly re-iterated the same issues for months/years with popular products in every mandated team meeting that everyone knew would go nowhere. None of our suggestions for improving workflow, company culture, or anything would make it past a certain level of management; it was an American branch of a Dutch company and we were seen as useful idiots, tools in a toolbox at best. They tried to send all of our jobs to India when I was there and only failed to do so because the problems that it brought across the board juuuust outweighed the opportunity to fire all of us and make a nickel along the way. If you want to work for a company that may, at any moment, breathe a sigh of relief and liquidate your department without warning or compensation, Elsevier's a top choice.

Pros

Ground-level staff can be understandably bitter but are good people, working from home is always appreciated

Cons

Inattentive/uncaring higher-ups, lousy pay/benefits, lack of corporate culture, the feeling that anyone you do not directly report to is unaware of your existence.

They will use and discard you

I loved most of the folks I worked with and the mostly progressive culture, but after 23 years of loyal service the company showed me no loyalty. No effort was made to transition me into another position in this global company despite my extensive qualifications.

Just keep your head down

Not a place for people who want to growLeadership is not encouraged. They want drones that simply follow orders and not react to obvious issues if they conflict with orders

Great company

I have enjoyed my experience working with Elsevier this far! It is a contract position and the assignment-load varies. My leader was helpful and supportive.

Better place to work than even just a few years ago, largely due to leadership of the CEO. Culture is supportive of wellness and encourages diversity. Work can be challenging and exciting, although often there can be disconnects between different teams which can be frustrating.

Pros

Great colleagues, wonderful mission

Cons

Pay is low with limited opportunities for advancement

Inclusive, International, Great sense of purpose & work life balance

We've gone through significant positive cultural changes since we got a new CEO. Great inclusive culture where people are happy to come to work. Cons are I'm not sure we are winning in the industry.

Pros

We have a 4 week work from anywhere policy, very flexible working arrangements, great ERGs, lots of positives overall. Excellent work environment for people in all walks of life

Cons

Slow product launches

Overall a great job

I have been in 2 different roles and each one has been a little different. For the most part, the work is steady and fulfilling. The demands can just get to be a lot with a deadline involved. A lot of people stay at the company a long time, which speaks to it’s culture and its team.

Pros

Good salary, great people, great social events, charity events, and employee resource groups, working from home is relatively done with ease

Cons

Medical benefits are a bit expensive, schedule can be demanding, surprisingly internal systems seem a bit outdated

I really enjoyed my first few years here, great work environment, the best people I've ever worked with, and lots of perks.

It used to be a good place to work . Mergers and acquisitions have changed that. They've laid off lots of talented people, always looking to send work offshore to save money at the expense of quality.

Pros

Great people, good work-life balance.

Cons

Lots of job uncertainty.

Fun place to work

It's nice place to start your internship. They have flexible working hours, and great benefit. Great place to get explore to data and learned about data analytics.

The company has very good benefits

Since COVID, everyone works from home, but before we had flex days. Management is laid back and once you get a hang of the job, it's not challenging at all. The protocols for working are not organized. You could be there for 29 yrs and not know how to do something that you should for your title.

Pros

free lunches for training. paid flights and stay, food to see clients

Cons

no forward movement in career.

Excellent work life balance, fair compensation, and training opportunities, a little too political for my liking

Work life balance and mental health are a high priority at Elsevier. As such they have generous PTO, flexible hours and work locations (I have been working remotely for 18 months without issue), and plenty of opportunities for stress relieving activities. The people are really great, and they have ample training opportunities/resources available. Like most large companies there is a fair amount of red tape involved in any decision that is made. There are also a lot of meetings, emails, and email newsletters sent out. Taken individually it's not a lot, but all together it's quite a bit of information to process every day.One of the major cons IMHO (or a plus for some people) is Elsevier's political stances. Being an international company I didn't expect them to have (or voice) a U.S. political stance, but during the 2020 Election they clearly supported one side over the other, and they weren't shy about letting the employees know which side they supported in their internal communications. Since then it's has gotten more and more political, to the point where people on the opposite side of the political spectrum don't feel free to be themselves. This "inclusive" company is doing everything they can to exclude certain political beliefs.Personally I don't feel like it is appropriate for an international company to be supporting any political candidates in their company wide communications. I would prefer a company that is politically neutral instead. F.Y.I. if you are a U.S. based employee you are now required to get the Covid vaccine to work here.

Pros

Work life balance, training, culture, the people.

Cons

Too political and vaccine required for U.S. employees

Good place to work, smart peopleCool technologies being usedLeader in publicationFocus on Diversity and Inclusion, but no black woman on C-levelFocus more on true D&I

Solution Sales Manager

Best company everI loved working at Elsevier, I miss it.Loved my 5 years.Great peopleGreat missionGreat infrastructureGreat conferencesGood Pay

Pros

commission company culture people travel

Cons

management

Cares About Employees

This company has always cared about the benefits of their employees. They are very flexible and encourage their employees to put family first. I freelance now but would return in person.

Productive workplace with stimulating challenges

Loved the autonomy and sense of accomplishment. Productive and professional relationships with in-house stakeholders and vendors. Atmosphere of respect and collaboration.

Pros

Autonomy, flexible schedules, decent benefits

Great respect for employees. Great work life balance.

Great respect for employees. Great work life balance. I worked in the NYC office, but my boss was in PHL, so some travel required. Interview was very professional, very spot on for the job (IT project manager)

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Compensation is a bit below market. No stock options.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elsevier. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Elsevier with

• Elsevier
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?