Elsevier Employee Reviews

Great place for work life balance
Journal Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2018
I truly love my job at Elsevier. The people are wonderful and there are a lot of perks such as the ability to work from home. The only problem is that the pay is low and the raises are only 2% a year. I always get wonderful reviews and still only get 2%. There is no advancement fro someone without a degree. Apparently work experience is not valued as highly as a piece of paper. But even with the piece of paper it is difficult to move up.
Pros
Flexible work enviroment
Cons
low raises, low pay, no advancement
Great Colleagues
Freelance Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
The team I worked with at Elsevier was exceptional. Hard working, creative and cared deeply about the products they were putting out. everyone was expected to know all aspects of the business and we were able to support each other should any one need coverage.
Pros
able to have flexible hours
Cons
sometimes communication was not as well managed as it could have been
Not a place to put down roots
Sales (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 10, 2018
Comp and benefits were good. My manager was fantastic. Upper management constantly switches expectations and processes so workers would just be at a point of competence with something and it would be changed out for something new. No long term consistency. Always felt like any day could be my last, and finally one day was my last.

Coworkers were moody and difficult to work with. Low trust level.
MEDai Clinical Navigator was one of the most unique and challenging provider software I have ever had the priviledge providing clinical consultation
Clinical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 4, 2018
MEDai was the best of the best healthcare application and unchallenged vendor providing expert predictive applications for healthcare providers. The company was collegial and collaborative in culture and the best company experience I have ever had in healthcare albeit my own private practice in pathology.
Pros
Best in Class software with the best employees
Cons
Company purchased by Elsevier
Unstimulating
Online Solutions Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMarch 30, 2018
Training is lightning fast and glossed over. Too much expected too soon from Customer Service Reps. Products problematic requiring constant development upgrades.
Pros
Desk job
Cons
Desk job
Great team and opportunity
Development Lead (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHMarch 23, 2018
Enjoyed my team and my work.
Worked on high visibility projects.
Management provided support and training.
Great worklife balance
Company paid for certifications
Pros
Worklife balance
Cons
Relocation of departments
Look elsewhere
Education (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2018
Elsevier is known globally as a leader in health information. But much of their work is done by people in third world countries. Pay is low. Work is heavy and stressful. And most of the people are secretly or publicly miserable. It's not the same company it was 10 years ago.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay, heavy work loads, no career growth
Fast-paced, challenging place to work but rewarding
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 15, 2018
Elsevier has very aggressive goals, a significant workload, but you're surrounding by the smartest people in publishing. Strong business model and financially successful publisher.
Not a bad place to start
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2018
Not a bad place to start, but unless you are in sales or and kind of editorial role there isn't much room for growth or to earn. Think Office Space, seriously, it's really like that.
Pros
location
Cons
poor management
Company trying to survive and cut cost
Global Print on Demand Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St Louis, MOMarch 8, 2018
Elsevier is a company with a main goal of staying a leader in Health Science content management. They try to strategically align themselves to stay competitive and lean.
Pros
Global
Cons
Short sited and not transparent with employees
Generally good company
Book Production Editor/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 26, 2018
Elsevier is definitely a good company to their employees. They have a lot of events like department Christmas parties, building-wide Christmas parties, costume contests at Halloween, one team outing a year for the team you work on, etc.

The training was very stressful, though. Elsevier does NOT have a good training method in place. I came from a company that had one-on-one training for a few weeks for new positions to a company that had little written documentation (or at least, little you could locate or that was up-to-date), that had the mentality of just giving you a crash course and throwing you in the deep end, hoping you could swim. I can't tell you how many times I was told "Oh yeah, you're supposed to do that. No one told you? Well, you've been told now." Very frustrating and even defeating.

A typical day in my position was either feast or famine. Usually, you either feel overwhelmed with how much you have to do, or your scrounging around for something else to work on. In the field I work in, though, this seems to be the norm, not something specific to Elsevier. The hardest part of this job is working with the authors. Too often you run into authors who are unpleasant to work with, but because they're considered a customer that must be kept happy, you have to just weather their attitude and hope you have a short schedule rather than a long one. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final product that you've spent months working on in it's complete, professional looking format, with your name on the copyright page as someone who worked on the project. Another good
  more... aspect of working here is that most of the people are very friendly, so I had kind people to talk to every day and who were always happy to help if you had questions.

Overall, I liked the company and enjoyed my time working here. Unfortunately for me, though, they conducted cuts in my area, which resulted in me losing my job due to lay offs.
Pros
cafeteria on sight, team building exercises, good company coverage on healthcare
Cons
stressful, bad training program
I loved working for Elsevier for 16 years
St Louis Mo- Cashier/ Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 23, 2018
Elsevier has giving me the opportunity to work in a office setting with great co workers, kind bosses. Thank you for the opportunity to work here....
Pros
perfect attendance awards, great place to work committee, token awards
Cons
I can gladly say I have no cons this has been truly a great experience working for Elsevier.
Working at Elsevier
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2018
I learned a lot about how different each company is to work for. At Elsevier, you have a specific way of doing things in their system. The people were great in the Houston Office. I like working for them.
Great work/life balance
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2018
Good place to work if you need flexibility.

Culture is laid back but can be stressful near deadlines as upper management tends to make last minute decisions.
Elsevier
Accounts Receivable Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2018
Elsevier has great people and an awesome atmosphere. The NY office is comfortable and open-seating and bright. It is a fun place to come and work. I would definitely recommend people to work there.
Evolving products and culture
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Great people and great job.
Strategy could have been better.
Management had a very Euro-centric slant. Needed to understand the US market better and capitalize on large players located in the US.
Pros
Great people, innovation
Cons
Lack of training and opportunity
a big company
business analyst (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 9, 2018
Elsevier seems to say the right things but is still figuring out how to implement those things. There's an awful lot of churn (the "joke" is that things are restructured at least once a year).

The experience is very dependent on the VP to whom the team reports. Some advocate for their people; others focus on how they appear to Upper Management. Some appreciate problem-solving; others want everything (and everyone) to fit into a tidy box. Some treat an employee as a person; others see only cog-like "resources" to be deployed.

Some of my main concerns/complaints.

Although the company has many offices, only a handful matter in terms of the direction of the company or the advancement opportunities for employees.

Management seems to care more about pretty presentations than actual work. People who say what Management wants to hear are promoted/rewarded.

More and more of the people who seem grounded in reality and reasonably intelligent are leaving or being forced out. More and more, I find myself asking, "Who put that person in charge?"
Global
Implementation Manager, Pure (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2018
Management is varied, I enjoy my new position and manager who provides assistance with work/ life balance. Having 2 kids and working 2 hours away from NYC is difficult and having the ability to work from home is great. In my current position I've been give the chance to learn more and work more closely with various teams, globally. I've become more confident in my skill set having this opportunity. As a specialist I get to work with both customers and internally with developers and implementation/ product managers.
okay
HEALTH SYSTEMS ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 3, 2018
normal
lots of hours
lower pay than average
outdated systems
lots of change in employees all the time
no job security
401k and health insurance provided
Supportive and collaborative
Coordinator, Plum Analytics (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 3, 2018
I love working at Elsevier! I have many opportunities to hone my technical writing and documentation skills, but would love to expand them even further.