Elsevier Employee Reviews

Fun to work
Kitting (Former Employee) –  Linn, MOSeptember 8, 2018
People are nice and they provided holiday dinners. Got to move around and stayed busy. Easy and comfortable place to work. You got 2 10 minutes breaks and half hour lunch.
Pros
Worked with nice people
Cons
Long walk to lunch room
Comfortable Workplace
Tech Specialist II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Great working with my team members, always supportive! Good working with other teams across the board. Hardest part of the job, is everyone not on the same page. Implementing process and expecting an overnight solution
Reed Elsevier was a terrific place to work.
Sr. Director, IT (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 30, 2018
I really do not write criticisms of companies i worked for. They all have great strengths and some weaknesses. The people and culture of the company is terrific - assuming it has not changed.
workplace culture
Educational Sales Consultant - Texas (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2018
A great deal of teamwork and support; opportunities for advancement and paid well for meeting and exceeding goals. You are given a great deal of freedom to show your creativity.
Negative place, terrible senior leadership who micro-manages every aspect of work output.
Director Corporate Accounts, Western United States (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2018
Elsevier's culture is abysmal. They re-org nearly every year, Sales Leadership doesn't even understand their products. They manage by intimidation and people fear for their jobs annually. They're so much of a matrix environment that it takes way too many cooks in the kitchen to secure a simple approval. Further, they mess with pay and interpret comp plans to their benefit. Just awful.
Pros
Only pro is working remotely
Cons
Just horrific corp culture and leadership
Work Place
Level 2 Support Analyst / Migration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 24, 2018
The people in the company are friendly and are willing to help co-workers grow and learn. If you have any questions they will answer them to the best of their knowledge.
Awesome people to work with.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 19, 2018
Elsevier has been an excellent place to work for the past 21 years. Management and co-workers were always willing to assist where needed. Co-workers was concerned about the well being of each other.
Pros
excellent people and benefits.
Cons
non
Productive and assisting fellow co workers
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 9, 2018
Helped customers with book orders and answered questions about the books. Worked with authors and internal sales reps. I worked the email boxes for US customers as well as International customers

I enjoyed my job working with the internal/external customer. I built a great rapport with them. I worked on a great team and we always helped each other when needed. Assisted in placing orders for book exhibits.
spent alot of my career there
shipping and processing (Former Employee) –  Linn, MOJune 25, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Elsevier but the only down fall was that there was no more room for advancement there. I went up the ladder as far as I could go and that was it
Great Global Company
Senior Vice President, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJune 7, 2018
A great place to grow and learn and build a career. They not only focus on their clients, but on their employees as well. Reed provides a place for the development of one's self into a leadership role.
Pros
Global company
Cons
Global company!

Want to know more about Elsevier?

Ask a question
Fun and Rewarding
Behavioral Health Content Expert (Current Employee) –  Independent ContractorMay 23, 2018
Elsevier allows for freedom and supports education in nursing at all levels of practice. The quality not quantity of work is valued. Excellent company to freelance for.
Great place for work life balance
Journal Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2018
I truly love my job at Elsevier. The people are wonderful and there are a lot of perks such as the ability to work from home. The only problem is that the pay is low and the raises are only 2% a year. I always get wonderful reviews and still only get 2%. There is no advancement fro someone without a degree. Apparently work experience is not valued as highly as a piece of paper. But even with the piece of paper it is difficult to move up.
Pros
Flexible work enviroment
Cons
low raises, low pay, no advancement
Good work life balance
Project Consultant- Talent Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
I have a great manager and good learning . Lots of opportunities to work on good projects. The company culture is not cut throat and can enjoy a good work life balance
Great Colleagues
Freelance Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
The team I worked with at Elsevier was exceptional. Hard working, creative and cared deeply about the products they were putting out. everyone was expected to know all aspects of the business and we were able to support each other should any one need coverage.
Pros
able to have flexible hours
Cons
sometimes communication was not as well managed as it could have been
Not a place to put down roots
Sales (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 10, 2018
Comp and benefits were good. My manager was fantastic. Upper management constantly switches expectations and processes so workers would just be at a point of competence with something and it would be changed out for something new. No long term consistency. Always felt like any day could be my last, and finally one day was my last.

Coworkers were moody and difficult to work with. Low trust level.
MEDai Clinical Navigator was one of the most unique and challenging provider software I have ever had the priviledge providing clinical consultation
Clinical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 4, 2018
MEDai was the best of the best healthcare application and unchallenged vendor providing expert predictive applications for healthcare providers. The company was collegial and collaborative in culture and the best company experience I have ever had in healthcare albeit my own private practice in pathology.
Pros
Best in Class software with the best employees
Cons
Company purchased by Elsevier
Unstimulating
Online Solutions Product Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMarch 30, 2018
Training is lightning fast and glossed over. Too much expected too soon from Customer Service Reps. Products problematic requiring constant development upgrades.
Pros
Desk job
Cons
Desk job
Great team and opportunity
Development Lead (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHMarch 23, 2018
Enjoyed my team and my work.
Worked on high visibility projects.
Management provided support and training.
Great worklife balance
Company paid for certifications
Pros
Worklife balance
Cons
Relocation of departments
US Based Customer Service On The Way Out
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 21, 2018
Cost reduction is the primary focus in all areas. Customer Service jobs are being relocated to other countries where costs are much lower. Product development / production is tightly budgeted requiring Customer Service to manage Customer complaints without real hope of underlying product issues being addressed in a timely manner. Time management is crucial as reduced staffing has required higher productivity.
Pros
Relaxed environment, soft business casual dresscode, decent benefits packages
Cons
Management lacks product knowledge, no team lead positions, obvious limited lifespan of U.S. jobs
Look elsewhere
Education (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2018
Elsevier is known globally as a leader in health information. But much of their work is done by people in third world countries. Pay is low. Work is heavy and stressful. And most of the people are secretly or publicly miserable. It's not the same company it was 10 years ago.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay, heavy work loads, no career growth