Emagine Entertainment Employee Reviews

Easy place to work, but some employees and managers make it harder which can make it less enjoyable to work
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJuly 28, 2018
Overall a solid company, but could use some replacement in management or maybe even training. Just maybe doing a better job trying to understand employees and create an enjoyable work environment.
Pros
discounts, 30 minute breaks if minor, free food.
Cons
Pay could be better, intimidating managers
Great place to work very fun
Concessions Worker (Current Employee) –  East Bethel, MNJuly 6, 2018
Working at this theater for the past 2 years has been amazing if I could make enough here to live on my own I would never leave. All the staff is very friendly and the management is extremely helpful and they help you manage work with your life. It is a wonderful place if you need a part time job.
Pros
Nice coworkers and good hours.
Cons
Not so good pay
My first job as a teenager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJune 25, 2018
I worked here from 16 - 21, definitely not a career. Flexible hours since it's an entertainment business (movie theater, for those who are not familiar.) Worked in concessions, ushers and box office, also worked in concierge and management when I left. Definitely time spent with teenagers and young adults, culture like a high school. However, I have made some friends that I cherish to this day.
It was fun while I was there, but as a person over the age of 23, I wouldn't still work there unless it was higher management or a specialized role.
Pros
free movies and snacks
Cons
low salary
Great job at the start, started going downhill after a year.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Macomb, MIMay 16, 2018
I loved working at Emagine. I worked at the one in Macomb, MI on 23 Mile Road. I became very close to all of my coworkers and I made a lot of great friends. You’re allowed to see free movies when you’re off the clock and you get free popcorn and drinks. The work is very simple and it’s pretty relaxing during the week days. This may sound great, however, the building is under new management and ever since about a year ago it’s been going downhill. Managers DO NOT listen to their employees or take them seriously. All of the managers are pretty young and the supervisors are the same age as most employees which causes problems. Fraternization is a huge issue which leads to many workers not knowing who to listen to. When you’re a normal employee you have almost 20 different bosses in this small movie theater (no joke I just counted out how many were there when i left). It’s pretty overwhelming when you have 20 different people trying to tell you what to do. They will take advantage of you if you show any sign of caring for the company. As soon as I showed interest in a promotion they toyed with me for over a year making me do a million different things before finally allowing me to be the 21st boss. It’s a great place to work at first but don’t stay for too long and remember, It’s Just A Movie Theater. Oh yeah, and they understaff almost every day because they have a 19 year old making the weekly schedules.
Pros
free movies, free popcorn and drinks, 50% off kitchen food, for the most part pretty laid back
Cons
management, unneeded hierarchy, no one is happy there, everyone wants to die
Fun Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saline, MIApril 22, 2018
I enjoy the work. It is fun relaxed and easy going. I enjoy customer care and my coworkers. It is an easy job that gives big rewards. I care very much about the job and the people I interact with.
Awesome place to work, but impractical for making money
Theater Associate (Former Employee) –  Birch Run, MIMarch 26, 2018
An average day consists of selling tickets and concessions, preparing food, and helping customers in general. You'll have to do plenty of cleaning and upkeep work between showtimes, but the environment is one that allows for you to talk to your co-workers during most of your regular duties.

I can honestly say that, in terms of the work environment and experience itself, this job is easily my favorite so far (including full-time high-salary jobs). The managers and crew supervisors tend to be pretty great people whom you genuinely enjoy being around. There are also some good perks that come with the job.

However, the pay is abysmal. I left after a couple years of working there, and my employee reviews indicated that I should have gotten about 3-5 raises over that time. Raises weren't being allowed, and long-time employees were effectively being dragged towards minimum wage as it increased. Additionally, you are required to work at least half of the major holidays, for which you do not receive holiday pay. I would be able to understand these decisions if money was in short supply at the company, but the theater I worked at received multiple major renovations and some decidedly expensive lobby decor.

Overall, I sincerely wish that the upper management would find some way to adequately compensate their employees. Freezing wages is unfair to the employees who work there, and it drove a great many good employees to leave their jobs after many years. If the job was actually a viable option for making a living, even with minimal life expenses, I would have happily returned to
  more... it in a heartbeat.  less
Pros
Great environment, fun co-workers, friendly managers, discounts and free movies
Cons
Low pay, sporadic hours, no chance of raises until minimum wage stops going up
Great Career Move!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 22, 2018
Best decision I have ever made. Great upper management and support team. Growing company that truly cares about your success. Get to run the theater like your own business.
Pros
Great company, supportive upper management
High Stress with Low Rewards
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Novi, MiMarch 9, 2018
I worked here for a little bit before I realized this job wasn’t the right one. I always had to work overtime when I was an usher or a concession attendant which I almost always was. And I was told that they don’t pay for overtime. Most nights, I worked until 1:30 am to 2:30 am when I was only scheduled until 1 pm. I usually don’t mind working occasionally longer then scheduled if they needed help. But when I have a second job in early mornings and overtime is a regular occurance, it can get frustrating. As far as training, if I didn’t speak up when I was assigned a new role for my shift, I wouldnt have received training. The only time that they actually knew I was training was when they put it in my shift notes when I received my schedule. On top of this, I was told that I would be able to train on everything that I was going to do before the Christmas rush (I started a few weeks before Christmas). However, I was trained as a cashier, the most stressful position, on a Sunday the opening weekend of Star Wars. And when I say this is a stressful position, it is. I know technology very well and have worked cashiers before, but the computer was way too complicated to learn on the fly. The person whom they made train me didn’t have much time too since she was also working the cashier. So, it was frustrating to have to try to figure it out on my own. However, once you know what you are doing, it’s not too difficult but communication is lacking from the higher positions. But the most frustrating thing was the lack of knowledge as to who my manager is on duty and their names. In my  more... other jobs, I always knew who my bosses were and their names, as well as had regular communication with them. Here, I felt overlooked and as a needed but invalued team member. The only person I knew and worked under was my usher leader and he was paid the exact same as me. He is the one who trained me, not the managers who should have had more hands on. I understand that this is a busy place and understaffed, but there is a reason why it is understaffed. Not a place I would recommend some working in unless you are good in a high stress job with a hands off manager. Honestly, I left because it was clear that they do not care about their employees. I do not recommend this job to anyone especially as their first real job.  less
Fine if you aren't looking for benefits.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNFebruary 17, 2018
I worked for the company for 5 years. It was an alright gig, free movies and whatnot. The problem was the fact that they have no benefits for the employees, and the only reason I ever recieved a raise was due to the minimum wage increasing. I will say that I did fairly enjoy my time working there, as it was the people who made it enjoyable. They are also really flexible with scheduling.
Pros
Free movies, free popcorn and drinks.
Cons
Wages, lack of full time positions/benefits.
Fun High School Job
crew lead (Current Employee) –  Rogers, MNJanuary 13, 2018
Definitely a wonderful place to work. Teaches good communication skill, and requires you to think fast. However, no real opportunity for advancement unless you plan on being there for many years.
Pros
Free movies, and discounts on concessions when working.
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, long hour days
February 9, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate you highlighting how wonderful it is to work at Emagine and our movie perks! As Emagine continues to grow and expand, we love to promote internal candidates! If you have not yet had a chance please contact Amber or Shelby in HR and inquire about up coming openings. We would love to talk with you about growth opportunities, and if we do not know you are interested in advancement it is hard to promote! Thank you again for the review and we hope you reach out soon!

productive and fun workplace
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 8, 2018
Fast paced work environment with high standards for quality and customer service. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with other highly skilled and kind managers to achieve a common goal of a great guest experience.
February 9, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review! We take great pride in hiring quality candidates for our teams from crew members on up to management. We figure if we treat our employees well they will then in turn treat our guests well. We are lucky to have employees like you who understand our mission and strive to go above and beyond. Thank you again for the review!

laidback, relaxed
Usher/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MISeptember 13, 2017
Since I worked for Emagine for 3 years I have experienced many changes of management and had to adjust to each managers approach of how they want work to be done. Most of my experience management has been fairly relaxed. Emagine was a very social place to work and I formed many friendships through working at Emagine. The most stressful part of working at Emagine was the quick pace during rushes.
Pros
free movies, laid-back environment
Cons
low pay, few hours
September 20, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! As we grow as a company and promote our awesome managers we will see changes of management over time. We take pride in making sure we have the right people in the right seats to create great teams at our theaters. Our moto is to work hard, have fun, and make money! When a great movie comes out our rushes can get pretty busy, so in order to prevent problems from occurring we try to our staff accordingly. We are glad you have made many friendships over the years and have enjoyed working with Emagine. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review!

Great starter job!
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Novi, MISeptember 4, 2017
It really is a great, fun place to work. Low stress, good people. Just low pay, usual minimum. Raises annually but not enough for most adults. Some job advancement but gets less and less as you move up. Great for part time. And you get to see free movies!
Pros
Discount on food. Free movies. Easy. Nic folks
Cons
Picking up trash. Late nights.
September 5, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate you highlighting our fun low stress working environment and free movie perks! We take pride in hiring quality candidates for our teams from crew members on up to management. As Emagine continues to grow and expand, we love to promote internal candidates! If you have not yet had a chance please contact Amber or Shelby in HR and inquire about up coming openings. We would love to talk with you about growth opportunities! Thank you again for the review!

Good company to work for
Usher (Current Employee) –  Canton, MISeptember 2, 2017
great management great co workers fun job. job is helping customers find their assigned seats . Ensure no cell phone during movie. Greeting guests and telling thanks for choosing Emagine. they use when to work to get your weekly schedule, a great site for us to drop and pick up shifts.Iit contains all co workers info for you to reach when needed. Employees are awesome and help whenever they can.
Pros
Worst part of the job is slow times, no hours available
Cons
Worst part of the job is slow times, no hours available
September 5, 2017

Thank you for the review! We are thrilled you enjoy working with us and you like your colleagues. Our motto is to take care of our employees and they will take care of our guests. We try to make scheduling as easy as possible with When to Work, we are glad you enjoy it and it simplifies scheduling. Thank you again for the review!

productive and relaxed place to work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIJuly 17, 2017
Emagine is a great place to work, the staff and management is friendly and easy to talk to. People get work done with a relaxed atmosphere. Its a fun easy job that people can enjoy while making money.
August 30, 2017

Thank you for writing a review! We are very happy to hear about your positive experiences with Emagine. We have worked hard to create a culture where our team members can have fun at work while providing a fantastic movie going experience to our guests.

Great people safe work environment
Crew Member/Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Birch Run, MI, clio MIJune 3, 2017
It is a great first job and has taight me many life skills as i walk to adulthood. Hours are best in the summer and very flexible with school. I would definitely recommend.
Pros
Half off concession items if worked that day and free drinks, popcorm, and movies.
August 30, 2017

Thank you for writing a review! We take pride in hiring team members for their first jobs and teaching them valuable life skills they can continue to use as they grow in their careers. We are happy to hear you would recommend us to others, thanks again for your review!

MOVIE THEATER USHER (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNMay 26, 2017
I have worked here for a while and I'm glad I still do work here. Had multiple managers as the years went by, as some of them stay and some leave. As it is a movie theater, you will occasionally get down times because of the movies being good or not. This theater in particular just switched over to another company, because the original owners sold it.
Pros
Free movies, great management, friendly staff
Cons
Tedious after a while and there will be times when it is not busy
Fun to work low pay
Employee (Former Employee) –  Macomb, MIApril 17, 2017
fun to work low pay. managers were good at first but then the good ones got fired or quit. not sure how they are now. good benefits being free movies.
Very Accommodating
Bartender and Usher (Current Employee) –  Canton, MIAugust 25, 2016
They have always been understanding and able to work with my schedule. After 3 years they still treat me properly. The work is reasonable and the management is more than happy to help you out if you do not know how to complete the task or are behind.
Emagine
Manager (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIJanuary 19, 2015
Great place to work, fun people and free movie perks. Management could use some help though, not very dependable. Not good at training you almost have to train yourself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emagine Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

Emagine Entertainment Reviews by Location