EMD Employee Reviews

They wont last long.
Engine Test Technical Engineer, Engine (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 14, 2019
Its down from 25,00 employees to about 1100.
Management is the worst I have ever seen, training is non existent.

When I was there I was told that they had designed a new engine for the Chinese and the Chinese were very unhappy with it because they were under the impression that it was a new technology of "Clean Burn" emissions. When I tested this engine it was a very dirty engine and they had to install huge catalytic converters on it.

Anyone who confronts the management is fired on the spot.
Pros
Cant think of any pros, sorry
Cons
Too many to list here
Biased promotional system
Machine Operator/Quality Control (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 7, 2019
Promotions are based on a buddy-buddy system regardless of your experience. I have never worked at a place where buddies are promoted over skill factor, so if you don't know or are connected to the right people, be prepared to just float along. Company is too worried about "joining committees and attending non-related meetings' than doing your work.
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
Buddy-buddy promotional system
Look elsewhere
Validation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cherokee Site St. LouisMarch 6, 2019
Probably one of the worst companies I have worked for. Avoid working at the Cherokee site in St. Louis and any of the validation departments. This site has a reputation among the other MilliporeSigma sites for being terrible to work at. There is a persistent turnover problem at this site so there is always a lot of training that goes on. Employee morale is also very low. Site level management is very unprofessional and political. Very narcissistic too. You would do better here with a political science degree than an engineering or science degree. There is also a lot of corner cutting which creates an us vs. them environment and impacts quality. Work environment is very unstable and dysfunctional as well. Pay is not competitive and I got a $20k increase for leaving the company. Aside from that, this is a good place to get your foot in the door but I would not plan on staying long.
Pros
Good Job security
Cons
See review
Direct management is good but upper management is non-responsive
ASSOCIATE PRODUCTION SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIMarch 1, 2019
Direct management is good but upper management is non-responsive. Benefits are good but direct compensation is a bit low and they have trouble retaining new employees because of it, expect high turn over.
Year One
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockland, MAFebruary 14, 2019
I think EMD has potential to be a great place to work. If they could weed out the "bad seeds" that make it hard for you to come in, do your job, and go home then this would be a GREAT place to work.
Pros
commute, gym on site, friendly people, summer fridays
Cons
work from home should be allowed for everyone. bad managers, catty at times, on boarding needs work
Good pay in comparison to similar jobs in the area
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 7, 2019
Pays well for entry level customer service with St. Louis cost of living taken into consideration. Professional atmosphere and good benefits. Not very many advancement opportunities within the customer service department. Can be stressful at times due to high call volume.
Pros
Pto, health insurance
Cons
Short breaks, routine work, stressful at times
Good Pay and Benefits, Limited Growth
Manufacturing Operator 3 (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan Falls, WIFebruary 7, 2019
Hourly rate was competitive along with builtin overtime and night bonus. Benefits were respectable and reasonable in terms of pricing. However, growth can be limited and personal development plans were lacking to help employees become better and understand different systems that are commonly worked with. Such as limited inventory system training cause issues when trained individuals were not around to help assist in material movement. Individual growth seemed to be focused on individuals with particular backgrounds as others seemed to have limited opportunity to grow into different positions. Heavy silo effect as managers competed against each other instead of helping the organization as whole.
Pros
Benefit, Pay
Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 22, 2019
There are many tools given to you. Utilize them to the best of your ability. This applies to most work places. I happen to have an excellent boss who allowed my creativity and hardwork to advance further.
Productive and fun
Graduate Research Assistant Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJanuary 17, 2019
Productive and fun, learnt a lot of new techniques and had the opportunity to shadow other scientists. Had frequent social hours that encouraged Co-Ops to interact with other employees at the company.
Very busy with more projects than people to work
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 13, 2019
Spend most days in more meetings that I would like. The team does have access to the latest technology and most advance systems available that I have worked with in my career.
Miss Working There
Associate Production Scientist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 12, 2019
12 hours were long shifts, but I miss working there. The environment was relatively casual, but professional and comfortable. Saftey was number one and taken seriously.
Company in transition
Laboratory Technician II (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 10, 2019
Every job comes with its share of headaches and each individual's experience is heavily based on perception, having said that, I enjoy this company much more than my former employer. The atmosphere is relatively friendly. As a non-exempt employee I get a small amount of wiggle room when it comes to my schedule. They don't split hairs over 5 minutes or so late which is more than I can say for my last employer.

There have been a number of changes for the better since I was hired 2 years ago. I love the benefits but the compensation leaves something to be desired. Nevertheless I have chosen to stay thus far because I enjoy having the ability to work days and get my weekends and holidays off. Plus there is no expectation to work overtime in my position although it is encouraged at times it has never been required.

My primary complaint is my manager. I just don't like this individual's management style which encourages infighting among our team by asking us to report on each other behind closed doors. It makes for an unpleasant atmosphere of finger pointing and back biting. Also, there is no coherent training program so pretty much only the favored employees get enough training to do the most coveted tasks. Personally I feel like I am working below my abilities and for this reason I have decided to start looking elsewhere. However, were I to get a different manager, better training and/or more task variability I would likely stay.
Pros
Friendly, fun environment. Plenty of opportunities for advancement. Great benefits.
Cons
Favoritism, nepotism shown by managers
I loved to work for Merck KGaA. I loved the products and enjoyed everything from my job.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Honduras, INJanuary 10, 2019
I was working the Consumer health products and I was part of a very dynamic team. Unfortunately that line doesn't belong to Merck anymore. They sold it to P&G.
Nice company
Customer Service Support (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 10, 2019
good place to acquire new skills. allows volunteering during work hours. work from home. just an overall nice place to work and get comfortable. the pay is not as good but hey its a job
Productive and highly cultural workplace
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MAJanuary 7, 2019
Amazing company to work for, employees are helpful and insightful. Company has an amazing culture and feel to it as soon as you walk through the entrance.
A Good Place to work
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Jaffrey, NHJanuary 5, 2019
MilliporeSigma is a great place to work. Typically new employees are hired on as temporary employees, but are usually hired on within 3-9 months. Assembler/Machine operators work 8 hour days with two 30-minute paid breaks. There is room to move up, but it is a very slow process. Once hired on, there is 15 days of vacation time and 6 days of sick/TOA time. The benefits are decent and they match 6% of your contribution into your 401(k).
Pros
vacation time, two 30 minute breaks, matching 401(k) contribution, overtime availability
Cons
slow moving up in company, sometimes mandatory overtime
Decent benefits - terrible management leadership
Employee (Former Employee) –  Jaffrey, NHJanuary 4, 2019
While the overall company is a decent place to work for, the management style and poor leadership traits exhibited within the organization structure has created very bad work environments all around the facility. Inability to plan properly, staff correctly and recognize and react to problems is a leading issue that I have seen throughout the many years I have worked there. Management is prone to favoritism and promoting employees that they like that may or may not be qualified for the job. Safety is promoted to be top priority however that is only true if it does not impact production, if there is something that is unsafe, it will be forced to be done if it would shut down a production line and you can have your job threatened if you don't do what they want you to do!
Take advantage of what benefits you can if/while there and then quickly move on, they won't help you succeed!
Good place for a hard-working, driven employee to thrive
Biochemical Technologist II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 1, 2019
I worked with a team and independently. Management met with us regularly to ensure we were on track, but employees manage their own work load and schedules for the most part. I had a flex schedule so as long as I made my 40 hours for the week and turned my jobs in on time, I was free to choose how I wanted to work. Training opportunities are amazing. You can potentially learn all about the company if you want and they love to promote from within.
Pros
Benefits (great healthcare with dental and eye care)
Cons
High Capacity work load. You will be busy, busy, busy!
Working in the laboratory
Senior Associate Analytical chemist (Former Employee) –  EMD Millipore, United StatesDecember 22, 2018
The name EMD Millipore is good, but inside, there are lots of issues, conspiracy, discrimination and politics. salary is slightly below the average.

The management is the worst ever I saw. Several experienced and skilled workers left the company.
The management does not care at all. Several people wrote to the management, there is no action all.
Good benefits
Production Associate Scientist Sr (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHNovember 27, 2018
My experience with MilliporeSigma is that the benefits offered to employees are really good compared to other companies however if you want to advance your career there aren't any opportunities for training for advancment unless you relocate.
Benefits
Cons
No advancement opprotunities at some sites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EMD. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight