Emmaus Homes

Emmaus Homes Employee Reviews

United States140 reviews

clientdisabilitystaffhelpingeverydaysupportlivepersonal

Good company bad management

Drama drama drama. It’s not about how good of an employee you are or how well you take care of the clients it’s about who you are willing to let manipulate you

November 22, 2022
At Emmaus we strive for a drama free environment, but we know when diverse groups of people work together in a home setting there is likely to be some drama every now and then. However, our priority is for our clients’ homes to be a safe place, where they experience joy, trust, peace, and the comforts of home with as little conflict as possible. We count on our Direct Support teams to ensure our clients are thriving starting with a stable home environment. Our leaders, including our Executives have open door policies and we have a defined escalation procedure for those who wish to share feedback about anything, good or bad. Our employees use the open door and escalation procedure often to make suggestions, give input, and unfortunately sometimes to report an unsatisfactory situation. We encourage you to reach out to your manager, associate director or director to share your observations. Thank you for providing us with this feedback. We appreciate having the opportunity to make Emmaus a better place to work!

Faith Based Work

Working at Emmaus is challenging, rewarding, motivating, and filled with purpose. The company is a faith based not for profit organization that supports adults with developmental disabilities in their own homes. Emmaus leaders are thoughtful, humble, mission driven, and open to feedback. I have never worked for a company that has sought feedback from all levels of the organization quite like Emmaus. You are expected to work hard, show up on time, have integrity, be honest, be flexible, adapt to change quickly, and deal with some of life's unexpected challenges. In return you have a job with security, career advancement, people who listen and are willing to have the tough conversations, and that truly makes a difference on the lives of those it serves.If you love helping people, you will enjoy working with the clients. It takes a while to get used to working in this environment, but those who stick with it develop a deep understanding of the clients needs and become fast friends. The pay is average for the area. The benefits are affordable and comprehensive. You may have to work some weird shifts at first. You might also have to work weekends and holidays.

Emmaus Homes insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

What is the best part of working at the company?Clients & Training was great working at Emmaus. A particular house supervisor don't know how to supervise or conversate correctly with their peers and take things way out of content when ur trying to discuss an important issue with herWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Supervisor that don't want to listen but add their own thoughts to the equation after interrupting your importance to speak about important information. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?First environment can be much peaceful if you're not working with a certain supervisorWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?It's a great day sometimes may seem long but the clients you work with are genuine and caring

November 22, 2022
Thank you for the review. We agree, our clients are simply the best people on Earth. Those who work with our clients are truly doing #WorkthatMatters. We also think our training is pretty great. Thanks for recognizing the hard work our training staff does preparing Direct Support Professionals and Direct Support Leaders to care for our clients.We are disappointed to hear about the challenges you experienced with your supervisor. We want our managers to be open to feedback and develop strong working relationships with their teams. Perhaps your manager is newer to the role or needs additional training. Our Chief Human Resource Officer would like to speak to you about your experience, so we can appropriately address any gaps. Her email address is spradlingstacy@emmaushomes.org. She is anxiously awaiting contact from you. We hope you are willing to speak with her briefly.

What is the best part of working at the company?Leadership skills What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Favoritism manipulation and racismWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Peaceful environment very pleasant in the residents homeWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Prepare breakfastPass medicationAssist with Personal hygienePlan activity outting

October 24, 2022
Emmaus is a faith based organization that expects all employees to live its core values of Customer Centered, Initiative, Integrity, and Collaboration. Under the core value of integrity we set the following expectation. “We have high standards of personal conduct. We may work in many different situations and with various groups of people, so it is of utmost importance that individuals behave with dignity and respect.” Although not typical, when someone expresses concerns similar to yours, we encourage them to escalate the issues to their manager or their manager’s manager. In addition, our entire senior leadership and executive team practice open door policies because we want to hear about concerns when they happen so we have the opportunity to work to correct them. We would really like to hear more about your experiences at Emmaus. Please reach out to our Chief Human Resource Officer, Stacy Spradling by emailing spradlingstacy@emmaushomes.org.

They are Bullies

It was all on who knows who & Base on How they Fell about You..... They don't look at how the Clients like You & How you do a Great job. Get them Bullies out...

October 24, 2022
We are sorry you did not have a good experience while working for Emmaus. We are very concerned about claims of bullying in the workplace. Our culture is one of respect and integrity. If you are willing to share more about your experience, we would love to talk to you. Please contact Stacy Spradling, Chief Human Resource Officer at spradlingstacy@emmaushomes.org.

A place of advocacy

There are many opportunities to advocate and make a difference in someone’s life. Emmaus has recently implemented a higher wage which has been helpful, but there is definitely room for improvement in this area. A down side in my experience, are inconsiderate and/or lazy coworkers.

Stressful

Emmaus Homes started out good but as time went on less staff and management to help you. Overnight was stressful because I had to travel to different locations each night.

August 8, 2022
Thank you for your review. We have been working to improve our staffing levels and are seeing some positive impacts after we announced in May starting wages of $18.00 per hour with a path to $20.00 per hour within a year. I am sorry to hear about your experience with feeling unsupported and stressed with overnight shifts. We definitely want to hear more of your input so we can work to improve. We have an effective escalation process. After raising your concerns to your manager, if you do not see improvement please reach out to your Associate Director or the next level of management. We want to hear from you and hope you will share your thoughts and ideas with us.

Fun working with the clients

The company is short staffed. I don’t agree with how they train their managers. Management is not very helpful and you kinda have to learn on your own. When you ask questions they give you answers that make you feel really dumb. They aren’t very welcoming in my neck of the woods.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Understaffed and rude management

June 17, 2022
Thank you for your review. We have been working to improve our staffing levels and are seeing some positive impacts after we announced in May starting wages of $18.00 per hour with a path to $20.00 per hour within a year. Because of our board’s commitment to keeping wages competitive and our advocacy efforts to increase state funding we are seeing more applicants and as a result more new hires than we have seen in the past several years. I am sorry to hear about your experience with training and leadership. We definitely want to hear more of your input so we can work to improve. We have an effective escalation process. After raising your concerns to your manager, if you do not see improvement please reach out to your Associate Director or the next level of management. We want to hear from you and hope you will share your thoughts and ideas with us.Thank you for doing #workthatmatters. Our clients are the best and we are happy to hear that you are enjoying the work you do with them.

Always different

Helping the clients is the main goal but too many people can submit work orders and set the priority level. The office staff is very kind and are always willing to talk to you if you need an ear.

Pros

Friendly staff and pretty laid back environment.

Cons

Communication is extremely poor in regards to priorities, Too many people telling everyone in facilities what to do, they also expect more work than can be handled by the small amount of facilities staff.

May 3, 2022
Thank you for your time working at Emmaus. You are correct in how important the work we do is to those we serve and we could not do it without our Staff. Thank you for your feedback as well. We always continue to look for ways to improve by evaluating what is working and what is not and realigning when we need to. We are very transparent and fair. Our Executive Team is available via our open door policy for feedback and suggestions at any time. We would certainly still be open to discuss your feedback. Please reach out to Josh Laundry at landryjoshua@emmaushomes.org. I know he would want to hear your suggestions and look at any options to improve moving forward.

they will throw you under the bus so fast.... DO NOT APPLY

i was working her for 8 years, great worker, no problems with me at all. one day boom! I'm gone... no good reason, management is to NOT be trusted at all. clients are amazing, the people in the office NOT SO AMAZING... please pick somewhere else... took several years for a raise and that still wasn't a fair raise to the ones who's been there for several years... trust me PICK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

benefits

Cons

management is sneaky, they stick together, throw employees under the bus so fast

January 13, 2022
Thank you for working at Emmaus for 8 years. We know how important the work we do is to those we serve and we could not do it without our dedicated direct support professionals (DSP). Since 2019 our starting wages have increased from $12.00 per hour to $15.00 across the board, with an additional $1.00 differential in some homes. We continue to look for ways to reward and recognize our DSPs because we know they are the heart of our organization. In fact, we offer comprehensive medical, with premiums as low as $23.00 per pay period for employee only, dental, vision, life, 403b, PTO, holiday pay, incentives, overtime, paid training, and a get paid as you work program (Wallet).There is so much to like about Emmaus. The experience you described is not in line with our mission or values. We are transparent and fair, but we do hold people accountable. Our Executive Team is available via our open-door policy. We also have escalation and grievance procedures in place. We would like to discuss your situation with you. Please reach out to our Chief HR Officer, Stacy Spradling at spradlingstacy@emmaushomes.org. I know she would want to hear your concerns and correct any mistakes that we may have made.

Overworked

If your looking to be overworked with no balance outside of your job then this is the place! EMMAUS Management does not support their staff and are not willing to come out and help their homes! They are now going through a staffing crisis & EVERYDAY someone is calling in so expect to be stuck at your job way pass your off time EVERYDAY (do not make any plans or expect to get your kids from school). EMMAUS offers little pay for the amount of work that you do! Since being here MANAGEMENT SUCKS!!! they figure because of their title they have to do nothing whenever they do come to their homes and “supposedly” helping out with the clients! They will see that you are working with the clients trying to meet their needs and ACT like they have so much important things to do on the computer but in reality NOT DOING A THING. Your constantly cleaning behind GROWN staff AND doing there duties prior to clocking in, guiding THE MANAGERS because they know nothing about their clients! The job is simple, the people you work with is horrible!

Pros

A clear sense of purpose for being there, OT when you want.

Cons

No breaks. Little pay. Overworked. No help

December 21, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very happy that working for Emmaus and providing support to our clients brings you purpose! You are truly doing work that matters. We are disappointed that work/life balance has been challenging for you. As you know from our frequent communication via our CEO Corner, the staffing crisis and funding shortages go hand in hand, and they are impacting organizations like Emmaus throughout Missouri. Over three years ago, our Board decided to fund a wage increase to boost staffing. It worked, but only for a very brief period of time. As we continue over 125 years of providing services to individuals with disabilities, we know that we must advocate for more funding to attract talent to careers in our field and keep the valuable talent we have. Our clients and their families depend on us! Our recruiting team is working very hard to hire individuals like you who find purpose in this work - people who are mission-driven and who truly want to provide exceptional supports to the clients we serve. We have some outstanding leaders, but that does not mean that we are not always looking for ways to improve. It sounds like you have had some poor experiences. We would like to learn from our mistakes. We would love to discuss all of your concerns in more detail. Please reach out to Stacy Spradling at spradlingstacy@emmaushomes.org so we may better understand your situation and work on a solution.

Wouldn’t be so bad

They need better management more pay the job is a cool job love my clients and all but it’s the management that’s gets me been here five years and they are the same

It all depends on the person

I waited a while before doing this reviewI feel like EMMAUS is constantly working on the structure to make the foundation of the company successful. My only issue is that since this field is in a DSP crisis it's hard to have a good work life balance. Now I was hired in a management role but I also had the feeling as if that was as far as I could have went within the company. Now I don't have any reason to believe I couldn't advance within the company other than what I was seeing in the main office. The directors I worked under were nothing but nice to me. The directors that I worked under actually tried to help me as much as they could have. When it comes to the DSP staff it's hard to work a career when everyone else around you is just working for a check. That's just the nature of the business unfortunately, but overall if you like those hours and you don't mind putting in 60 plus in any role from entry level on up then you can make a pretty decent amount of money every two weeks. One more thing I do think since we are in this DSP crisis it should be all hands on deck. I got the feeling that people who didn't work in client services never had any real desire to actually help Client services because it wasn't their job there was a I graduated from that mentality. I think that hurts the overall customer service aspect of the company. I think this would be a great company to work for you just have to know all of the facts before you jump in the water especially when you're going into a management role. But as long as you understand what you're signing up for I think this company -

Pros

Chance for advancement for (entry-level)/ bonuses

Cons

Overworked! No work/life balance

Rewarding Job, but very tiresome and long hours

Good job with good pay. Helping clients live their best life is very rewarding and makes you smile. Lots of hours and no one really cares if you are given time off.

Pros

Good Pay bc of overtime

Cons

to many hours

Laid back and meaningful work

although I feel like the pay isn't the best for the type of work that se do on a daily basis, the job itself is fulfilling and a lot of fun. the connection that is made with the clients makes up for a lot of it.

It’s changing not for the good

The good is the connection you create with the clients. You make that though. The bad is management and the quality of people hired. Restructure and the direction the agency seems to be stepping in is not clear. Turn over effects every single role and it’s huge. You are worked to exhaustion. You are told because of turn over you don’t have it as bad as another house. No work life balance. Not all employees are apart of the mission or know what Direct Support Staff do. In a staffing crisis all employees of Emmaus should work towards extreme team efforts instead of justifying reason(s) as to why these departments cannot support the clients directly. The ones doing the physical, emotional, strenuous supports need everyone to work side by side during the staffing crisis. You cry is heard but that’s all. One thing is true.... solutions are realistic not available in this industry. No fault of Emmaus.

Cons

Management support and turn over

Amazing Clients but Poor Management

This is a place where you work intimately with clients and it is fast and easy to fall in love with them... And that's how they trap you. The organization has a horrible management structure that makes it very difficult to voice opinions or advocate for clients. The accumulative PTO is awesome but unless you can find someone to cover your shifts you can forget about using it. There is favoritism throughout the entire organization and unless you're with the "in crowd" nothing you say matters. There is poor communication between staff and management, management often leaving staff in the dark until the last minute and they will let you work until you drop. As long as you're able to cover open shifts they love you but as soon as you say no you are the worst. It is truly a thankless job.

Pros

Amazing Clients

Cons

Everything Else

Not great

This company goes through employees like no other. Employees are paid horribly for the work they do and the benefits are crazy expensive. If you like helping people, then find a company who actually cares and don’t just try to get people to stay in business.

Pros

People you meet. The patients, hours.

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible management, horrible benefits

Great Company

Great company and wonderful people. I loved my job If I could go back I would and definitely recommend company. I love helping people and a great place where you can.

Clients are great. Management is awful.

The clients are great and you learn from them everyday; however the management overall are awful. They will work you to death with no thank you . They will tell you they want you to advocate for the clients but as soon as you open your mouth, there are consequences. They want a robot with no voice. They claim that their pto is such a great benefit, which it would be, if you could ever use it. The management staff sure get their time off. There is no support, you are out there on your own. I would not recommend working for this organization.

Pros

Great clients

Cons

Everything else

Bad coordination

Emmaus was overall a good company to work for until they started making up positions for folks after a reconstruction of the company. The supervisors were very disrespectful and lazy and didn’t support the staff and also some of the clients needs. Very poor communication and lack of knowledge on certain things . I blame the higher up management with training these supervisors because if you’re supposed to follow a chain of command when reporting issues and concerns then they should not be able to start mistreating you when you have a voice of opinion and a right to speak on the wrong doings from staff and or client concerns! I worked there 7 years and my last 3 months were the worst experience ever with those sad so called new supervisors that were neglecting the clients as well as some of the staff . Only a few of the staff seemed to care but would not speak up for not only themselves but the residents also

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Unprofessional management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emmaus Homes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight