Empower Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Management not concerned with employees’ needs.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 15, 2018
In “culture week” training, you will be told all about how Empower is a magical, Disney-esque place where all of your dreams come true. Then, you will discover that if you are not one of the “cool kids,” you’re not welcome. There is absolutely an inner circle within the management and employees. Even once you get in, they will decide to kick you out if you speak out at all. I saw multiple entry level employees try to attend different trainings or shadowing opportunities and they were swiftly stopped, or terminated. Only the chosen few get ahead here. Some branches are completely overrun without large enough facilities or staffing. Tellers cannot keep up. Lines are ridiculous. Management is out of touch and does not listen to their employees about process improvements or problems. If you don’t “drink the koolaid,” so to speak, beware. They will destroy you.
Love it
Teller (Current Employee) –  Cicero, NYFebruary 9, 2018
I love Empower as a company along with my branch. Best job I’ve had. My only complaint is that I simply don’t make enough to survive on my own working here.
Great place
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 19, 2017
Great place to start off. Lots of training and advancement opportunity to start. Once ceiling is hit it is hard to get any further. Culture is great!
Great Place to Work
Mortgage Consultant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 9, 2017
Great culture. Always cooperative feel and people want to help you do well in whichever position you land in. When company does well, the reward you extra too.
A growing business with an outstanding culture!
Trainer (Current Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2017
Empower is the 11th best company to work for in NY. That rank came from employee feedback and speaks volumes in itself. If you treat every day like an interview, you can advance internally and make an entry level job into a career. Empower is passionate about member service, it's workplace culture, and it's staff. Employees are offered excellent benefits (almost unbeatable) including health care, 401K plan, and a fair amount of PTO. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people that I work with. The hardest part is all of the change we are constantly going through; if you do not like and embrace change- this would not be the place for you. If you are a positive person who has a glass half full attitude, you will fit in well with this company.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunity to Advance, Free Food
Cons
Change, Inconsistencies, and in some cases- Management
Grateful
n/a (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 4, 2017
Empower has been my employer for 10 years. I'm grateful for many things including:

*The company has embraced my fun-loving personality, knowing that I can get the job done and have fun while I'm at it.

*An incredible 401k plan. I am saving for the future with the help of Empower. Great health benefits too!

*Learning so much about money management. I did not grow up in a home where I received important financial lessons. Empower helped fill in that gap and has helped me buy a home, save for vacations, borrow and payoff loans for automobiles, etc.

*I have incredible coworkers! I love the people with whom I work and so many feel like family. We celebrate the joyful things and support each other during the tough things that life throws our way.

*I have to mention all of the food and celebrations. When you come to work here, be prepared! We love to eat. If you're at the HQ location, there is a gym facility on sight - so it all balances out!

*I trust the CEO's vision of where he is taking our company. We are growing and able to reach more and more of our neighbors who need a financial ally. With growth comes more internal opportunity as well.

*I'm proud of the way we approach our members. Truly looking to help benefit them. I have read some reviews that talk about how we are sales focused and it's all about the numbers and I respectfully disagree. A direct quote from our CFO "Do what's right for our members and the numbers take care of themselves". While certain areas do have goals attached to numbers, it's unfortunate that some cannot see the root
  more... of the goal which is to help our members' financial lives. If we aren't introducing members to what we have to offer and what we think will help their unique situation, then we are doing them a disservice. So yes, there are sales goals but more so to ensure we are educating our members about their options and help them flourish financially.

*What started out as a job has turned into a career for me. There is room to advance and I believe a positive attitude and the willingness to bend and flow with the changes of our successful company have helped me personally succeed here.

So, if you're a hard worker, are inspired to help people, want to join a work family that has fun and gets it done, love food celebrations, want fair compensation and great benefits (401k, health, time off) and can get on board with a company that is growing, then EFCU might be for you!
Best Company to Work for!
HR (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 4, 2017
Empower was named the 11th Best Company to Work for in NYS for 2017 and the reason why is clear! Everything from the employees to the environment is enjoyable. The culture is very team oriented and everyone works together to ensure that members and employees are satisfied. Performance is recognized and celebrated on a regular basis. Management is passionate and hands on, and their positive energy is contagious. They truly empower their employees to take initiative in their work. Training sets every employee up for success right from the start and continues to offer support throughout your career. Empower is constantly growing and expanding, offering more for its members and employees. One of the most refreshing things about Empower is its focus on a work/life balance for every employee. In addition, Empower encourages us to give back to the community and volunteer. It is honestly the best company that I have ever worked for and I look forward to a long and rewarding career here like many of my coworkers!
Pros
Environment/Culture, Celebration Days, Benefits Package, Work/Life Balance, Community Involvment, Opportunity for Growth, Compensation, Products/Services
Cons
None!
Good place to work, especially if this is your first job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYAugust 13, 2017
I love the type of work that I do there and helping the people I take care. My co-workers are amazing with going above and beyond to help their fellow coworkers.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, fun and helpful workers, the individuals are amazing, and a pleasure to work with
Cons
Little to no job advancement
Freelance
(Freelance) Producer/Director/Copy Writer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 26, 2017
Freelance work for non-profit organization.

volunteered timed and efforts to produce material for the organization which allowed me to be hands on and help for a good cause.
Great employer
Loan Officer I (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 22, 2017
I loved working here and only left because i was being deployed oversees with the military. The company was passionate to its employees, a great place to work for.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons

Want to know more about Empower Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
Great place to work if you have no intentions of advancing.
Branch Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 1, 2016
Spent years here improving myself and had plans on retiring from here. It doesn't matter what you know it's who you know and how far you are willing to brown nose to get ahead.
Employees are not rewarded for their achievements, but asked what you can do more to make it a better place for the members. As far as advancement, there is none and if you try to better yourself to move to a different location they will find a way to terminate employment. Procedures are not the same for everyone, favoritism is played often.
Amazing Company
Teller (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 31, 2016
I just love Empower to the moon and back. They were my credit union before I worked there. The training is amazing! The building, the people, it's so great. If you're not working at HQ, you'll want to.
I was a teller at the most difficult branch but I had a great supervisor and my co workers were amazing. They just remodeled the building as well.
Pros
Benefits, atmosphere, supervisors, pay
Cons
Challenging members at times
enjoyed working with the population, and co-workers
"Client Support Representative" (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 20, 2016
Empower has constantly been changing it's name, to my understanding is under many law suits, their web page does not represent the truth about their services, and professionals that work there.
I would run the entire facility alone on the weekends, there is no 24/7 nurse on duty, not set up to treat dual diagnosis population...
Great "mission"
Client Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 20, 2016
Highly enjoyed working with the clients, and co-workers.
Very high turnover of employees, Therapists, and management.
Was not given the ours offered upon acceptance of the position, which ended up being very costly for me.
Pros
Beautiful setting
Cons
No benefits or job security.
great company
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 16, 2016
Takes a long time to advance and they lead people on wrong. Branches and call center are busier than they can handle. They send too many emails to get on the phones and are very cut throat.
Excellent place to work
Member Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 17, 2016
Such a great place to work, great atmosphere. They have a great community and everyone is enjoyable.
Feel like a number (yes a Bob Seager reference)
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  HQJune 1, 2016
Amazing new headquarters building. Very top heavy in management. As the company grew, they lost the family culture. Now everybody is judged by the numbers...number of transactions, number of work orders, etc. They preach quality over quantity, but in reality it is all about the numbers. HR used to care about the employees, help them navigate the corporate environment. Now HR is only there to protect the business. On the plus side, 99% of the people are wonderful. CEO seems out of touch with the working Joe. He does not see that a lot of workers are stressed out. He also used to get out and have fun with the employees, now it seems that is beneath him.
Pros
New HQ, compensation, the majority of people
Cons
Culture, management
Awesome Company
Asset Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2016
As I had never been in the banking industry, I learned a lot. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and the management was outstanding! They cared about their employees. I was a great experience!
Company that shows more attention to members needs that employees
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Not adequately compensated for work preformed to assist members. Upper management barely assists and entry level employees forced to absorb extra work. Most new hires either get a promotion within their first year in or leave.
An Enviroment and People Oriented Company
Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  C12June 3, 2015
1. Culture diversity and respect
2. Productivity and new market development
3. Job done well and fix problems with delay
4. Friendly Communications
5. Clean workplace
Pros
A fun place to work
Cons
Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Empower Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Empower Federal Credit Union Reviews by Location