Encore Event Technologies Employee Reviews

stuck in a rut
Audio Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 13, 2018
I was part of the first crew that opened up in the omni hotel. Back when i started i was told part time and full times employees got raises. I went from 11.00 an hour to 12.75. I was thankful for that. When i was given my next performance update, they told me i was doing great and told me what to work on. I waited and they forgot about my meeting. so i never knew if i reached my goals. when i confronted them about it they told me they stopped giving raises. Now I am the the last of that first crew. I get paid the second lowest in my employees but is expected to teach new people how to do the job. Luckily the old managers left. The new ones are better with sensible work, and scheduling. I've done my fair share of over night shifts. The job doesn't seem all that safe. working on high power cables, lifting up truss towers, scissor lifts. no healthcare. Things there just seem shady. the job doesn't help with my college debt. wish i didn't go. I was there for 5 years. it was not worth it. So i continue to look elsewhere.
I wish the new management luck. nice guys
Pros
Employees are great friends
Cons
you're forgotten. no real trainig
One Year Review
ELECTRICAL AND INTERNET COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 1, 2018
Typical day consisted of working on client requirements for events such as preparing an internet quote for wireless or wired services for their event or meeting. Worked on entering confidential information into internal charging system. Learned basic internet terminology and learned the importance of choosing the right needs for a client to have a successful event/meeting. Worked with on site electricians for trade shows and helped clients on show site with troubleshooting and problem solving issues with their exhibitor booth. Answered phone calls to assist clients with questions related to their orders and making their event a great success.
Pros
On site EDR at several properties, great healthcare, excellent starting position for events
Overworked
Manager of Event Operations (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 4, 2018
the structure of the business means working hard in the busiest season but the hours are upwards of 80+ per week with little pay and not benefits. There is little to no work to home life
Poor Middle Management
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 1, 2018
Highly stressful location. Newly opened hotel. Middle management is poor. Lack of respect for technicians times, and lives. Schedules are extremely inconsistent. Director does not respect his employees times, nor does he represent the lower employees well. The atmosphere is toxic. Mainly with the company because of the upper management and the higher level employees.
Pros
New equipment, very nice benefits, great company to work for
Cons
Lack of respect from middle management, work life balance poor
Great work environment, pay could be better.
AV Event Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 31, 2018
Great work environment, pay could be better. Sometimes get mixed messages from management. Often management have a sky is falling attitude when it's not that big of a deal.
Good oppertunity and growth but a lot of hours to put in.
Director of Event Technologies (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 27, 2018
Good opportunity at 2 small hotels. When it came time to move up with the company there wasn't much open or recommended to me so i looked for other opportunities.
Mismanagement and unreasonable environment
Audio/Visual Technician (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 19, 2018
Current A/V director lacks professionalism and reason. It is like working with someone with the mentality to a small child. Constantly shifting work hours frequently clash with important life events, affecting my quality of life. Slow periods during the summer months has been severly economically damaging.
Pros
free lunches, friendly clients
Cons
Unreasonable director, failing equipment, lack of communication and teamwork.
Boy's Club
Manager of Event Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
If you're not in the club, you won't be promoted and your opportunities for growth will be stifled.

Transparency is discouraged, communication is lacking.

I was challenged every day, but not necessarily for positive reasons. I did work WITH a talented team of sales people and technicians, but management was out of touch, at times bordering on abusive -- both to employees and to clients. Terribly unprofessional demeanor on the part of upper management at my property and a failure to proactively plan were the norm.

Company also discontinued their ESOP program during my tenure, but did not replace it with another incentive program.
Worst place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 9, 2018
Encore has no regard for ones personal schedule or needs outside of work. You are hired to do a job and expected to put the job ahead of everything else in your life. Hours are long and hard with little compensation.
Management is lazy and dishonest.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Long hours, Lazy & dishonest Management
I enjoy working with people that care about the work that we do
Assistant audio (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 30, 2018
Being in the music and recording industry,working at local community 720 has given a chance to experience a different perspective of the entertainment and cooperate world.
Pros
Good meals served occasionally and meeting other people with similar interests and goals
Cons
Not to many problems
Too overworked to enjoy the job
Director Of Event Technology (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 9, 2018
Poor work ethics and internal corporate structure who supports racist and sexist behavior from their clients. Overworks Directors with no financial support.
benefits
Cons
supports racist behavior and ideology
So much has changed
Graphics (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2018
Encore used to be an industry leader with great creative people, but so much of the culture has changed since the passing of one of its owners years ago. Upper management was great. Mid-level management was terrible, setting you up to fail at every possible turn. Perhaps to make them look better?
Good Company
Director Event Technologies (Former Employee) –  Río Grande Municipio, PRMarch 1, 2018
Good Company to be employed! Very responsive to employee concerns. It is a good place to be working. Have a stock options for employee which is awesome.
Productive place to work
Director of Event Technology (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2018
I enjoy the industry I'm in and Encore allows me to perform and conduct the business I've been trained to do throughout my entire career. I only wish there were more opportunities to explore and to grow with this company. I'm sure they will get there as they are very selective on the opportunities as well as they are with personnel.
Awful Company
Event Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2018
Don't work here. Management is awful. They don't even manage. Horrible pay. Every day was chaotic when it shouldn't have been. You would be better off working in Antarctica then at this godforsaken place.
Mixed bag... It all depends on where you are.
Lead tech (Former Employee) –  Las VegasFebruary 4, 2018
Your location, and who likes (or dislikes) you in management are the primary factors in this company that influence what kind of time you will have working there. It can vary from pleasant, rewarding and fun; to the darkest depths of the seventh circle of hades. It all depends on your management & where you are in your career.

I see they are crowing about 'a hundred examples of employee advancement'... Great, when there are thousands of employees. If you are a supreme 'tookus' kisser, you may go far, regardless of your abilities. If not, expect to be thrown into a hole & left there, again, regardless of your abilities. If you are just starting out, it's probably a good opportunity to learn. Otherwise, it's pretty bland all around. There is nothing to learn for a pro here... The 'technologies' are almost all basic and pedestrian meeting room gear, most of it ten years or so out of date. Much of it held together with gaff tape & bubblegum. High end shows are all farmed out to outside vendors that can handle them.

The gig is really more like being a glorified hotel porter, with an awful irregular schedule.
Pros
Freeman benefits are very good, can xfer within freeman.
Cons
Pay is average, advancement is unlikely, job satisfaction is zero.
Director Job is very taxing if you have a family
Director of Event Technology (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 25, 2018
This job is great for a single person. The tech and industry is fast paced and there is a lot of room for growth especially if you are willing to move. Set designs can be really fun and you get a big sense of satisfaction taking something from a pen and paper design to a full on production.It will also give you a really good sense of what it's like to essentially run your own business, manage your P&L, and learn to effectively build and schedule a team.

Now the bad.

Budgets can become unrealistic very quickly. No matter what you tell your superiors, your budget increases on average 5-10% year over year even if every single analytic says you're about to have a bad year. When confronted they shrug and say they can't change it and hold you to them anyway both on financial and punitive.

The following is just a sign of the times and is unfortunate that this company has succumbed to this mentality.

Family/personal life does not matter to this company nor does sickness. If you are salaried, you are on call. Period. Took PTO after working 60+ hours a week for 11 months straight to try and spend time with your family you've barely seen? Too bad you still have to attend meetings and answer phone calls and half the time go into the office. Got the flu and are running a 103.5 fever? Too bad for you. Those reports, sales calls, and questions all still need to be dealt with whether you are able to or not.

My family life is suffering tremendously since taking a directors role which is why I am looking elsewhere. I'm to the point where I would rather work two jobs than this
  more... one because i would still have more time with my family. I don't live to work, I work to live.  less
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Ever changing landscape, lots of potential for development
Cons
PTO is basically pointless because you're going to have to work anyway, hours are hard to calculate because you are on call 100% of the time, you have a better family dynamic in the military than as a director
Awful Management and Work Life balance
House A/V Technician for the Omni Hotel (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 26, 2017
Before they made me the house sound engineer at the hotel bar they expected me to work past my scheduled time and cut your hours if you don't. I have a 1 year old and they told me upon interview this wouldn't be a problem but then schedule me until 2am and expect me back for a 12 hour shift at 6am.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
everything else
Not really stressful environment
Stage Hand (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 17, 2017
Typical day at work is going to work and you r told what we need to do each day it is different some days I'm doing audio or lighting or some Drape and scenery do my job sometimes it takes an hour sometimes it takes 27 but i go and get the job done I love my job and I like being a stagehand especially working for Encore
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Encore
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Washington DCDecember 11, 2017
In the beginning I really liked working for Encore, felt like I was part of the team. However, after a few weeks there I started to feel like I was being set up to fail. I was the only one that they asked to fill in for staff that got sick or out and making my schedule impossible for me to work and a productive part of the team. The Supervisor would call me on my day off and ask me to come in without giving me time to get there. I was always, always tired because of the long hours. I noticed that I was being treated differently from others on the team and when I complained, they ignored me.
Pros
pay and benefits were good
Cons
Work hours, scheduling and management was really bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Encore Event Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight