Entertainment Cruises Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Sold a bartenders dream - turned into a nightmare
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2018
Hired as a "bartender" - New bartenders are treated as barbacks/support staff to current employees. Service well 3 hours per shift & cleaner/errand boy for 4 hrs.
Not many people walk up to the bar for tips. Server tip-outs are on the honor code - most are OK.
You are given 40+ HRS per week but 1 out of 5 shifts you are cut from. For example, I was "cut" on my 2nd & 6th day after paying $30 for parking - Not exactly the way to keep new employees.
They feed you well - except when your manager doesn't give you a break... which happend last night.

I've had 6 other bartending jobs & it's my least favorite - just not a great place to work.
I lovemy job i tink yu will too its what yu make of it there
Dishwasher/Cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
It really fun when for hired at the job you get four tickets two for the spirit of Boston and two for the odessey and whenever you have a day off you can cruise on either boat with onegust using those tickets. At every end of the month they try to give an employee party and you get WOW!!!!!! BUCKS and at the employee parties you can when lots of cool prizes with them.
Pros
Feed yu, parties, and trips
Cons
Their is none
Diverse and fun
Sales and Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
I've been with the company for almost 5 years and i love the company and what they stand for. I would recommend it to anyone i know. You get to interact with new people and be a part of something greater.
Pros
Incentives
Fun, fast paced work environment
Call Center Agent /Reservations (seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2018
This is a production based job working in the Reservation Center. They measure input and output while you work on their incoming phone calls for new reservations and current ones.
Pros
Chance to do well and reach the top sales volume.
Cons
Sales do not pay commission.
Fun,
Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2018
I Got To Experince So Much Working There I Loved It,I Was Only A Diswasher When I Started Making 9.25 ,Before I Left I Was A Line Cook.I Really Enjoyed Working On The Boats
Amazing experience working on the lake every day
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2018
This job is great for college students. You get great hours, free lunch, and a killer view to top it off. I spent two summers here, and I have nothing bad to say about anyone there.
Pros
Free lunch, great hours, the view
Great co-workers, terrible hours
Lead Fine Dining Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2018
This was one of the roughest serving jobs I have had...

1) These are long hours. a 3-hour boat ride is actually 6-8 hours for employees (set-up, service, break down), plus they could schedule you for two or three cruises some days.

2) Large sections, on a very large boat... It's near impossible to keep track of the guests you have in your section. Some could be on their floor and other guests explore the whole ship. Impossible to maintain and keep every single guest in your section satisfied.

3) If you're good, they're going to ask you to work 50+ hours a week. It's one thing if you're making money... but there is zero mention of the ZERO GRATUITY to all guests. It is not discussed, it is not even written anywhere... You could easily work a double (12-16 hours) and walk out with only $160, because that's your hourly wage. If people are spending $200+ on a dinner for his and hers, they would just assume the gratuity is included in the package, right?? Nope.

I hope the formula of success is slightly better than what it was 5 years ago... but man, lots of hours and money wasted on working very hard for so little.

There's a legitimate reason people just stop showing up.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
strict guidelines, long hours, inconsistent scheduling
Awesome place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 30, 2018
I worked there for 7 years and will work there another 7 If they ever called me back. The staff was the absolute best and everyone really cared about their jobs
fast paced.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
Very fast paced on the boats. They talk a big game about helping each other and how collaborative and how amazing there company culture is, but on the boats, it doesn't feel like that. Schedules where regularly late and employees would get screwed over by being forced to stay for shifts they didn't attend to or staying late to "get everything done" even if they had completed all of their required work. People, in general, were not kind. They were a few gems, but it did not make up for those who were toxic. Only redeeming factor is that you can make big money in tips.
Pros
free food (when you get to eat, if at all), can make a lot of money
Cons
environment, more bad management than good.
Productive work environemnt
Restaurant Manager (FOH Manager) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2018
Worked with some great people, However later management changed and I felt it was no longer about your years of loyalty and success it was about budgeting money even if that meant get rid of your strongest employees to save money.
Pros
OSS events, benifits
Cons
short breaks, worked well over 40 hours with no over time if salary, worked EVERY Major Holiday
unique experience
FRONT-OF-HOUSE ROTATIONAL INTERN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
I personally loved working at entertainment cruises. The experience of working on the boats was unlike any other job I've had, the clientele were fun to work with and the management are good people. They need to be a little more strict about who they hire to represent them when they're selling a luxury product, though. You work a TON in the summer, not so much in the winter (off season- at least in Chicago), so the hours are inconsistent and there's not much room to move up in the company, unless you want to be a supervisor. Would recommend the summer internship to college students as a resume builder, but you might not want to work there for more than a year or two.
Pros
free food
Cons
its the same food
Very Busy Place to work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2018
You are working non stop 10-12 hours straight with no relief. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people, and also gaining more experience with this job.
fun workplace
Food Runner/Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2018
a typical day at work is setting up the buffet tables and making sure when the customers come they have all supplies they need to make your job easy. the most enjoyable part is being with your co workers who eventually become sum of your best friends.
The Entertainment Navy
Deckhand, Senior Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2018
The uniforms were similar to a small countries Navy, there was plenty of food to recommend or eat. Also, I learned enough about boating that there were no serious accidents while i was there.
Pros
A course in boating
Cons
Early hours
Good for experience
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCFebruary 16, 2018
If your out of school then this place will give you experience but if you’re a veteran this will be your lowest job ever. Its set up for servers as you’ll be service bar most of your shifts. Your tip out comes from what they want to tip off there tips! Thats right not how much they sell but a verbal agreement, so you know thats conflict. Managers all seem to stab each other in the back so be careful about wanting to advance. Holidays are that mandatory BS so kiss your wife and kids goodbye on holidays, and better remind them they are part time if you have another job because they will try to terminate you if you’d rather enjoy your time on earth with a family on any holiday. Bartender tips are pooled. You wont be warned its seasonal when they hire you because you know you didn’t have any other jobs lined up so if its 2 terms less from January you will be unemployed without any pay. Its almost as if they want you to be paid by hour. Basically the $100 a day in tips a shift veteran bartenders are use to wont happen here more like $40-60 a shift after making drinks for an entire boat for 3 hrs. $5 tip outs is what your 3-4 servers might tip you each if they have that.
Pros
Free Cruises
Cons
Very low pay, bad management coordination and communication, 95% blue collar urban atmosphere
March 19, 2018

Hello and thank you for you feedback on your employment experience with Entertainment Cruises. We know that every experience whether good or bad is another chance for our company to continually improve. We apologize that your experience with leadership team was less than stellar and this feedback will further help evaluate our current practices to see if there are any changes that can be made. Should you have any further feedback please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again.
- Patrick Casimir, F&B Recruitment & Talent Development Manager

Great Guest Everyday
Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Really great people to work with, but the managers can be very unprofessional and unorganized. There are plenty of perks to working there meeting all types of guest and the company's mission and goals has become my personal goal also.
Pros
Free Cruises, Navy Pier Discounts
Cons
Management shows favoritism and no room for Career Advancement
February 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We will certainly address any issues with management. We value all shipmates and strive to create a workplace that is positive and encouraging. Our set of values and behaviors is the foundation of our organization. It is wonderful to see they have impacted you so positively. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Grace Fuller, F&B Director

Hardworking Workplace
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day at work with many hard tasks to do in the workplace. Won't have time to relax just mostly work to the bone. Enjoying the long hours of hard labor.
Productive and Fun Experience
Lead Server/Hostess-Floor Captain (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2018
Typical work day includes coming in setting up tables based on party # and package purchased. What I have learned while working here is how to Be a Strong Leader and Branch of Management. The Workplace culture is very Diverse. The hardest Part of the Job is making sure the Customers are happy and pleased. The most enjoyable part of the Job is meeting new people having conversations and being able to get on the dance floor and dancing with customers.
February 14, 2018

It’s always rewarding to hear (and see) that our shipmates are engaged not only into their day-to-day roles on for each cruise, but also with our guests. Foundationally, the process of Creating Unforgettable Memories for our guests starts with each of our frontline shipmates and how they can win every moment. More importantly though, we strive to drive a deeper foundation through a diverse and inclusive workplace, to help structure that process into place. We’re inspired by your commitment to excellence and can’t wait to see what success 2018 brings!

- Chad Barth, General Manager Baltimore

bad pay
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, NYJanuary 31, 2018
money here is really bad. will not be able to support yourself. being a bartender in the job is cool and everything but only if it is payed off, which it is not.
place is alright with the acception of being able to get experince
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 25, 2018
I mean really spirit of norfolk isn't a bad place to work it's really just the poor management that goes on there. and accusations against other employees that the captain will believe at any moment without having a talk with you first its sad really... other than that great place for a stepping stone in the maritime industry not such a great place to stay and make a career.
Pros
free food, free drinks, good atmosphere, friendly people, sight seeing.
Cons
management, parking, long hours
January 31, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your employment experience with us. It’s nice to hear that you feel that Spirit is a great stepping stone in the maritime industry. We have so many shipmates and leaders in the company who have come up through the ranks across the fleet and that it’s a rare find these days. It’s disappointing to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations on the management front. Whether it was poor communication or lack of communication, either causes dissatisfaction. We are constantly trying to improve and your feedback will be helpful in that endeavor. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

- Jolene Price-Thompson, General Manager Norfolk