Environmental Defense Fund Employee Reviews

Highly motivated staff and vibrant work environment
Senior Manager, Operations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2018
Typical work day started at 9:30 and ended at 5:30/6:00. Work scheduled highly contingent on the type of position.

While the organization is full of great, highly educated people, good managers were hard to come by.

Acess to VPs and directors was difficult and there is a noticeable level of elitism present.

Pay is good for an NGO.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
difficult to advance
Challenging and rewarding workplace
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2018
- 25% travel
- Administrative duties
- Project management
- Work closely with consultants
- Fun work culture, lots of social engagement opportunities
- Professional development opportunities
Interesting, dynamic and very collaborative
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Although from the outside, the Outreach coordinator didn't precisely fit my biologist background, the position was so dynamic and in contact with so many fisheries stakeholders, that I didn´t miss the work that I´ve done in the past in the field as much as I thought I would. And that was the charm of the work. I´d got to work developing content, but also, working with fishermen, scientists, cooks, politicians. which made me understand the industry much better that if I was focused only in one task.
Complacent and confused environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2017
Extremely high turnover is present at Environmental Defense Fund. Not much opportunity for lateral training or advancement. Though the encourage partnering, it is a very much siloed environment.
Amazing group of people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2017
I love this place but I wasn't passionate about the mission. Although they did amazing work for our world it wasn't the line of work that I wanted to prosper in. I was grateful for the opportunity to grow with them during that season in my life.
Edf
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2017
Environmental Defense Fund is a great non profit to work for. The people are amazing and the work life balance is great. The health benefits are the best around. I'd suggest working here 10 out of 10 times.
Fund and productive
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2017
Very smart and hardworking people. The projects that you are taking make you feel you are really change our world, to make it greener, smarter and more sustainable.
disorganized
Advisor to CFO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2017
not a very organized and well managed place. people there are not very friendly, the staff are not well trained.the communication is not well established
Pros
noble mission
Cons
management not compertent
Flexible and fun workplace with great people and cause
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
EDF is a wonderful place to work with smart and passionate people. I've learned so much from my colleagues and have made lifelong friends. The work itself is challenging and stimulating. The core values - innovation, partnerships, prosperity - come through in the work and in the people.
Pros
people, work, flexibility
Cons
management, Hr
Ideal job for driven candidates on a mission
manager (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 9, 2017
Great place to work with driven, inspiring colleagues and a great work/life balance. Management has a genuine interest in helping employees develop and resolve issues.
excellent training for the NFP environmental arena
environmental Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 17, 2017
Intern on the Research and Development team of the EDF Oceans program. Great collaborative environment with endless learning opportunities. Learned how much need is out there.
Pros
collaborative work
Great!
Senior Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2017
Great place to work for! Awesome work culture- travel, work from home, flexible hours plus the people are amazing. Upper management could do a little better job with their support staff but all in all great!
Great program, Great Network
Climate Corps Fellow (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2017
Environmental Defense Fund provided excellent training and equipped me with an excellent skill set for my fellowship and for my career moving forward.
Pros
Great Career Development
Energy Efficiency Process Improvement
Climate Corps Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 17, 2016
Projects with the Environmental Defense Fund are highly autonomous and require communication analysis across business units. The results are interesting and impactful.
productive workplace
Intern on the Research and Development team (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 9, 2016
EDF is a great place to contribute to important work and meet very motivated and productive coworkers. It is a great place to surround onesself with great opportunities and extremely motivated, driven, and intelligent coworkers and mentors
Worthy Environmental NGO.
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
Great mission. Great people. Dedicated.

After working here for a while, you understand that you're playing a part in making an impact.
Amazing Work Environment with the Brightest People in the Field
Finance Donor Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
EDF has been a great place to work at. Not only are the people there are kind and intelligent, the work/life culture is a bonus. Management is understanding in regards of emergencies to outside interests when taking time off. EDF also promotes constant learning and there is a tuition reimbursement program that employees take advantage.

The only downfall is the room for advancement. You're guaranteed a raise but since no one leaves the company, most end up in the same position for years.
Pros
Vacation Time, Weeklong Work Retreat and the Employess
Cons
No room for growth
has a very caring culture
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2015
caring place to work at, you can learn a lot. compensation is great and the people enjoy the work. staff are very dedicated to the goals of the organization.
Pros
great people
Cons
very demanding
Wonderful Company
Meeting and Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2015
Great company with a wonderful culture. Learned a great deal about events management and attention to detail. Vast training in budget making, event and organization, board meeting and environmental issues.
Pros
freedome, benefits, great location, travel
Cons
long hours, hard work
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2014
Overall I've really enjoyed my time at EDF. Everyone is hardworking and very respectful. On a typical day I will manage calendars for 4 supervisors. I will do research for specific projects given to me. I'll coordinate events for the energy and economics program. The range of duties is pretty wide and requires me to be very flexible.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
My team is spread throughout the country so it can be tough to have personal contact.