Environmental Defense Fund

Environmental Defense Fund Employee Reviews

I love working here but I see no future as there are no advancements. There is high turnover in lower and mid management levels because of this. I would love to stay and continue working here as I love the people, culture, work-life balance and the benefits but I also want to advance my career.
Amazing people and workplace striving to address some of the most pressing issues in todays society. Collaborative workplace, with good work/life balance.
EDF is a wonderful environment to be in. Your allowed to have flexible working hours and dress code is very moderate. I enjoy working for them. It is a wonderful global organization. Great people great company.
Pros
Wonderful Calm Environment
Working at EDF is a great experience, with employees working passionately on a shared mission. The senior staff, particularly the CEO are friendly and take time to interact with all employees (time permitting). The work environment is very professional, with good benefits and a superb work-life balance. As is typical with environmental organization, certain long-term employees tend to be bits of snobs, not tolerating junior staff's lack of advanced training or a differing opinion. Additionally, numerous employees introduced outside/non-related positions to work environments. The main problem I experienced, was supervisors lacking in interpersonal skills, and a lack of interest in cultivating employees. Additionally, supervisors clearly chose favorites based upon factors unrelated to work performance.
Pros
Excellent work-life balance
Cons
poor supervisors
I sought employment from EDF as a way to simply better balance my work/home life (with a new baby at home) and found, instead a community of diligent, smart and energetic people all working towards ecological sustainability. With a exciting seat at the table, EDF is at the forefront of environmental policy, science and advocacy.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
EDF if an very good company to work for. Highly recommended for it's work like balance and the good benefits. Have locations across the US and the work is meaningful.
Pros
Good work life balance!
Cons
NGO - always looking for money.
Great flexibiliy schedule wise. Mmanagments is not the best but if you do your job then all should be fine. The workers are what make it worth while. Though you do learn alot about the environment as you work.
I was an intern in San Francisco, would definitely return. Interns contribute meaningfully to projects, and there are lots of young people working at the office. It was great working with such passionate, intelligent people. Living stipend could have been better but funding didn't come from EDF.
Typical work day started at 9:30 and ended at 5:30/6:00. Work scheduled highly contingent on the type of position. While the organization is full of great, highly educated people, good managers were hard to come by. Acess to VPs and directors was difficult and there is a noticeable level of elitism present. Pay is good for an NGO.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
difficult to advance
- 25% travel - Administrative duties - Project management - Work closely with consultants - Fun work culture, lots of social engagement opportunities - Professional development opportunities
Although from the outside, the Outreach coordinator didn't precisely fit my biologist background, the position was so dynamic and in contact with so many fisheries stakeholders, that I didn´t miss the work that I´ve done in the past in the field as much as I thought I would. And that was the charm of the work. I´d got to work developing content, but also, working with fishermen, scientists, cooks, politicians. which made me understand the industry much better that if I was focused only in one task.
Extremely high turnover is present at Environmental Defense Fund. Not much opportunity for lateral training or advancement. Though the encourage partnering, it is a very much siloed environment.
I love this place but I wasn't passionate about the mission. Although they did amazing work for our world it wasn't the line of work that I wanted to prosper in. I was grateful for the opportunity to grow with them during that season in my life.
Environmental Defense Fund is a great non profit to work for. The people are amazing and the work life balance is great. The health benefits are the best around. I'd suggest working here 10 out of 10 times.
Very smart and hardworking people. The projects that you are taking make you feel you are really change our world, to make it greener, smarter and more sustainable.
not a very organized and well managed place. people there are not very friendly, the staff are not well trained.the communication is not well established
Pros
noble mission
Cons
management not compertent
EDF is a wonderful place to work with smart and passionate people. I've learned so much from my colleagues and have made lifelong friends. The work itself is challenging and stimulating. The core values - innovation, partnerships, prosperity - come through in the work and in the people.
Pros
people, work, flexibility
Cons
management, Hr
Great place to work with driven, inspiring colleagues and a great work/life balance. Management has a genuine interest in helping employees develop and resolve issues.
Intern on the Research and Development team of the EDF Oceans program. Great collaborative environment with endless learning opportunities. Learned how much need is out there.
Pros
collaborative work
Cons
Great place to work for! Awesome work culture- travel, work from home, flexible hours plus the people are amazing. Upper management could do a little better job with their support staff but all in all great!
Environmental Defense Fund provided excellent training and equipped me with an excellent skill set for my fellowship and for my career moving forward.
Pros
Great Career Development