Environmental Resources Management

Environmental Resources Management Employee Reviews

United States86 reviews
Great Organization to Work for
Dedicated professionals in this organization and most of them top-notch in their fields. Lots of management support for those who are looking to advance but also who want to learn the business the right way.
great place to work!
Awesome place to work! Great People! Managment is great! Worklife balance is a priority. One of the best benefits I have had working at a company. Great location as well.
High quality professionals
Encourages hard-working and highly billable employees. The company encourages self-starting employees with strong technical writing skills. High performing employees have the ability to advance.
A good place to work until you need support
Mundane tasks were plentiful for lower to mid-level staff. More varied, long-term projects were frequent. However, many employees, including myself, were met with resistance, roadblocks, and outright discrimination once one expressed interest in professional development not usually provide by the company or an extraneous life event occurred (whether planned/unplanned or positive/negative).
Great Job
Was a great job! To bad it had to come to an end over liability insurance. I gained a lot of knowledge and am ready for the next adventure of my working career!!
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Contract Position through ERM lasting approx. 6 months
I was a contract wetland delineator on a team of two individuals. Our task was to delineate wetland and stream channels through the SW portion of West Virginia related to the proposed corridor of large electrical transmission lines. I feel like I was well compensated but my boss was younger and I feel, threatened by my knowledge base as evidenced by the lies I caught him telling other individuals. As with many large corporations, there is a 'pack of wolfs' mentality and everyone is clawing to stay on top. If you are mature, confident, and truly know your environmental science, ERM is a great company that is at the forefront of many infrastructure, maintenance, energy, and environmental industries.
Good Transition Job
It is easy to get hired, and you will be exposed to a wide variety of tasks; but there is a high turn-over rate and no room for growth. Not a bad place to work for a few months to a year.
Interesting projects
I did drafting for this company. Diverse projects using many skills such as goos judgement, mathematical calculations and new software. The only negative part of ERM was that everybody was white. Very few minorities.
Supportive Management
Was able to telecommute! I was able to do more work in the day and facetimed when necessary in order to "put a face on the name". That was very helpful.
Excellent EHSS Firm
Worlds Leading EHSS Firm providing sustainable solutions to the world leading industries. Work life balance can be and issue, but also allows flexibility in schedule and work from home.
Typical Large Consulting Company
Plenty of work...too much. Clients are large and projects are interesting and engaging. You'll gain a lot of experience here. However, the company sets increasingly unrealistic goals which are only attainable if you wish to have no life outside of work. Even if you attain your goals, you aren't likely to be recognized or rewarded...it is expected of you.

There are many talented people working here, and I can say that I have nothing bad to say about anyone I've worked with closely. However, it increasingly feels like a consulting sweatshop.
Value your employees
High pace, frequent travel, and demanding, worry constantly regarding billable work. Management has an unrealistic expectation regarding billable work. Personnel at my level have no control of how much billable work the company brings.
Pros
Work independence
Cons
High travel demands, constant unrealisic pressure from management to be fully billable
Tough field
Work based off of billability. Consulting is a tough field because of that and if you don't have a lengthy work history it's hard to find constant work. Compared to my peers, I was given the grunt work that nobody wanted and the impending doom of being fired due to not having 100% billable time. Very stressful but I think that's how all consulting firms are.
Pros
Felxible, work from home, cool experiences, etc.
Cons
Stressful work, cutthroat industry, etc.
Awful place to work
Worst place I've ever worked. The owner is hardly ever there but when he is he micromanages everything and slows everyone down. He and the manager are constantly talking religion and politics by yelling across the hall into each others office for everyone to hear. No respect for family. If you need insurance for a dependent it will cost you about one pay check a month. Don't recommend working hear unless you're a student
Most Stressful and Bizarre Place I've worked
The SF and Walnut Creek offices are the saddest places I've ever worked. No one interacts...you can walk down the hall and people won't even make eye contact. I find this atmosphere very bizarre. The offices are usually mostly empty as everyone works from home.

We are based out of London which brings some different protocols which make it very difficult to get your job done. For instance, we are encouraged to use an old version of IE and all the internal software only runs of this. It took over a year to just to get Chrome installed on the computers. Expect to share versions of software or use only the free versions. Processes don't make any sense and upper management know this, but yet I still have to follow these processes and then encouraged to find workarounds to actually get the work done...so I get to do twice the work!

Teams are spread out all over the country and don't know what anyone else is doing. Everyone is a one-man show. You will feel like you are completely on your own when it comes to most anything. Delegate projects to who...everyone is so busy and unless it's billable wont help. Have computer issues, submit a ticket and you'll get some generic answer from IT and then the tickets closed. Have an HR or benefits question, you'll be directed to go figure it out on the intranet.

I will say if you work in the Houston office...good for you. They still have to deal with the London and upper management craziness, but do have a better office culture.
Pros
Work from home. Lots of food in the office. Safety is important
Cons
No team or support, Isolating atmosphere, No on-boarding, Archaic processes
good place to work
good people to work with. good mentors and partners. if you are willing to learn, this is a good place to be in. good work-life balance. enjoyable and fun.
Excellent Workplace
Friendly and fun working environment. Employees treat each other as family and everyone work together and helps out in various ways. There is community involvement in various events and contributions.
Hard working culture with large variety of sectors
The company has project work in a large variety of environmental sectors, and a lot of options for lateral movement. They work hard and there is an emphasis on producing quality products.
A nice place to work that cares about people, family, and health & safety.
Flexible with hours, as long as 40 hours/week is met. Opportunity to work in other affiliated offices. Generous about hosting staff events. Great, affordable health care and nice 401k plan. People tend to get cloistered within their own service sector, but overall, a friendly atmosphere. In-place IT systems are high-end, and supported by a global network. Modern technology and ways of doing business.
Pros
flexibility, adequate compensation, well maintained office space
Cons
my position offers zero opportunity for growth to the next level
No opportunities for Support Staff
ERM is a good company, but not a great company. It is a very lean organization. The benefits are good, but there are not a lot of perks for junior Staff. Perks for Support Staff are even less. Career opportunities aren't equal across locations and service areas. Mostly it depends on luck - getting connected to the right project at the right time. There are virtually no career opportunities for Support Staff. Leadership skills amongst supervisors are inconsistent.
Pros
The people, The ERM Foundation, the Health and Safety Culture, The Passion for Sustainability that Most in the Organization Possess
Cons
Inconsistent Leadership at all levels in the organization, Ineffective HR Department, No Frills, No Focus on Career Development or Opportunities for Support Staff (HR, Finance, etc)
dead office culture no advancement
Regressive management do no believe in basic science like climate change. This is not a company that cares about the environment, and they will do anything to help their industrial clients meet minimum legal standards. Toxic management.

As long as you stay billable they will mostly leave you alone.
Pros
reasonable pay
Cons
everything else
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Environmental Resources Management. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight