Epes Transport System, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Experienced Work Force
PAYROLL ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 12, 2018
This was a temporary assignment but I learned a lot at Epes. The environment was somewhat condusive to growth but there was a lot of low morale within each department.
Pros
A lot to learn
Cons
Work enviromment
Decent place to work, but...
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 7, 2018
My biggest problem was there was no room for advancement. I wanted to be more than a truck driver. I wanted to transition into the office and move forward.
Good company overal people oriented, inefficient equipment
Regional dedicated (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville ncAugust 29, 2018
I have been with epes going on 2 weeks I know it's not long but long enough I feel I can right a decent review.

Orientation: you will be put in nice hotel with breakfast. depending on where you live a rental or bus ticket to get their. Orientation is pretty small 6 to 12 people instructors are laid back. You will be told it's a half day orientation if you complete all work online which is partially true the class portion if you do everything before hand is half a day the highest issue are drug test luckily mine came back on time so I was released after lunch. After being released after lunch uou then have to go to safety get your badge and meet everyone with a tour and explanation of (efs) pay card (bad) and setting Up everything then your assigned s truck. If your lucky like me then you'll ne ready to roll my 6p so on a good orientation is 8a to 6p.

After orientation and safety you'll meet or call your driver manager and speak with them one on one about yourself what you want and what they would like from you as a driver on their fleet. I'm easy going my regional dedicated position allows me home on weekends but I've opted to stay out for 2 weeks here and there I run recap hours so I don't reset my DM likes this so we get along ok I've not had to wait more than an hour for a new load and my loads range from 400 to 800 miles. They are big on time deliveries and pickups with time sensitive loads but some account are droo and hook with open deliveries and pickups.

Equipment: I'll say this boldly company equipment is junk straight junk lol. Penske has bought out epes
  more... which is a business move smart one idk but the equipment is freightliner cascadia, a few t680 truck, and new volvos which is what Penske introduced. These trucks are governed at 63 with low torque range so mountains are your enemy 35 to 45 mph too speed. They are all for the most part equipped with bendix system, on guard, omnitracs and some new coded trucks where you have to input a physical code on a key pad to start. All this is for insurance and safety not the benefit of the driver and because of this miles will be harder to rack up since it wasnt a keyed factor when they made the change. (Benfits company hurts drivers) all trucks are automatic for get manual ounce company switched over they discontinued 10 speeds the ones they have as of now are being swapped out and for lease purchase drivers only.

Further more I'd like to add people are always gonna have bad reviews it's being able to put up with the bad as long as the good out ways it. My truck has some of the listed items it sucks extremely bad I'm used to covering 600 miles a day but I'm stuck covering 400 to 450 a day but its dedicated so I put up with it. Good starter company definitely. If hometime is a main key thing for you it's a good company. Nice people your s name not a number I'll eventually prob leave because I'm out here to drive and make money and a truck that is more computer than driver compatible I'd just not right these trucks need very little to drive themselves now and that's no joke I get fatigued much easier now I'm always tired legs fall asleep I need a truck I interact with and know I have complete control over how I drive I'm a seasoned driver with years behind the wheel and a spotless record so I know how to drive safely.

So having said all that and writing this story I hope it helps you in deciding if this is a company for you think wisely and take your time looking I spent about a month looking before I decided on this one and I've been happy enough with my choice that I will stay until the right company comes along.
Pros
Pay, hometime, miles, good maintenance
Cons
Very bad equioment set up
Poor
Driver (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNJuly 16, 2018
Hired on to be home weekends guaranteed but turned out to be bullcrap you have to be one of the liked drivers for that so be ready to labeled a piece of garbage the harder you try to do things perfectly the worse you will be treated
Pros
None for me
Cons
Everybody hates you
Poor
Mobile Technician (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 2, 2018
The work it self is repetitive but also very hands on. I enjoyed the job because it was working by youself but if you didnt become buddys with the boss youre auto on the black list. and also if you mess up any period you will get threatened with termination. and if you cost the company money on your accord even if you offer to pay for it you will be terminated without paperwork or reason why.
Pros
Hands on
Cons
Boss is a cry baby
Typical trucking company
Professional Truck Driver - Class A/ Yard Switcher (Current Employee) –  Sanford, NCJune 16, 2018
I came to EPES because they offered the opportunity I wanted in the industry. They have competitive wages for the industry and strongly encourage exploring other avenues in the company should you want to change positions.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Long work hours for local position
Awesome team, cares about drivers.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMay 24, 2018
The Rockwall team is great, every single driver manager cares deeply about their driver. The owner operator manager will do their best to make sure everything is right.

The whole team is great, of course there is sometimes little fights, but nothing that isn’t laughed about in a few hours. This is the first job I have truly loved, and it hurts me to leave, but I received and offer I cannot turn down.

They treat drivers great, offer very competitive pay for city, over the road, regional, and independent contractors. They do their best to get the drivers home whenever the driver asks, wether that’s every few days, once a week, or once a month. I’ve never heard a driver manager complain about a driver asking off, not have I heard of a driver being turned down. Drivers are recognized for safety, service awards, and time of service.

Good freight with lots of options, drivers don’t get in trouble for turning down a load that isn’t what they want, just offered the next one.

Very fun office team, more like a family than coworkers. Always doing something fun for both drivers and non-drivers.

Great insurance, most prescriptions are free or very low cost, free Teledoc so no going to the doctors office for colds.

I would definitely recommend any friend or family member to EPES Transport.
Pros
Fun environment. Great benefits.
Cons
Wish I made just a little more.
Great
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 21, 2018
Great to drive for. Little wait time on loads. Easy to request home time. Nice trucks. Benefits are super. Very understanding. Happy working there.
Great company!
DRIVER RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXApril 4, 2018
Epes Transport has been a great company to work for. I have been here going on 11 years but recently got married and relocated. My daily commute is over 1 1/2 hours one way, that is the only reason I want to leave. I spend 3 hours on the road daily. Epes is a great place to work for. Professional yet nice and calm place to work at.
Over the road
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  North east united statesMarch 21, 2018
It takes a different person to spend 24 hours in a truck by yourself, not for a man with family.. to drive eat and sleep in a truck is maddening. The pay was alright approx 55,000 a year. But more for a man with no home life..
Pros
Freedom, and seeing the country
Cons
No Family life
Poorness
NATIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 18, 2018
Certain people get away with certain things.

Some people have to follow rules and some don't have too.

The management needs serious work , sometimes it seems that they don't even know what is going on ?
Show me the Money!
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 17, 2018
Hired as OTR Driver being told I would do 2400 to 2800 miles a week with the dream of Leasing my own Rig; first month was great with miles at 2800 a week the first month then Epes turned me into a short haul driver where getting 2000 miles a week was next to impossible. Even went through the chain of command about the miles I was getting; it would change that week “some” only to be put back on short hauls which were under 200 to 300 miles a day about 1400 to 1600 miles a week.

Epes biggest concern is their Lowes Loads which are very short runs so if you live between GA & LA then you will get the short runs regardless of what you were told by an Epes Recruiter; good luck in Atlanta GA.

The key I have found is getting a Drive Manager that will fight for your loads which I have not seen so you will have to do the fighting and it’s a pain to do every week.

The benefits are very expensive benefits, especially if you are married with a family.

Time off is not an issue for some reason so if you like being off, Epes is the place for you. This company emphasizes home time for employees and does try and get you home for the weekend but be WARNED if you have a delivery on a Saturday the odds of getting a load to get you home is VERY VERY LOW so you may end up sitting there till Monday morning for a load that will get you near home!

The communication at Epes is terrible so when you speak to someone that is where it goes and stays but hey at least you told someone.

The bottom line is that Epes is a very good company to work for but Epes communication is very poor, and
  more... the money/pay is not there to be made. It's the kind of trucking company that holds orientation every week, for the drivers to come in, be hired only to later quit due to not enough miles to make a living on. Therefore do not expect to make anything over $400-$500 a week. Now if you’re a young person still living at home with no bills then Epes can help you get your experience but that’s about it. If you have bills to pay then I would look elsewhere and forget about being off on the weekend’s but if you just got to be off on the weekends with little pay then Epes can do that for you.

Why would anyone work as a Epes Driver not getting miles turn around and Lease a Tractor with Epes only to make even less money is beyond me?
Pros
Time off is there
Cons
Miles are not there
Managment is terrible.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 4, 2018
Would be a great place to work if they would look at mid level management. Top managers were good people, but were to busy to see how mid level management treated the people. Drivers were not treated fairly. Office was done by brown nose. HR did not follow the handbook, so therefore mid managers could do as they pleased.
Pros
Very few.
Cons
List too long
Great Company to work for
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 12, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Managment was nice and would help as much as they could when needed. miles were fairly consistent and pay was great! you get get newer equipment that gets swapped out for a brand new one every 250k miles. Benefits were some of the best in the industry as well.
Pros
Nice equipment, Nice people, Good miles
Great people to work with
i.e. sales (Former Employee) –  Claremont, NCDecember 27, 2017
Epes was a great place to work, the only reason i left was because they were moving the operations to the Charlotte, N.C. area, and were going to pick everything up with line drivers, something that just wouldn't work with the Customer base we had.
Pros
Great people to work for
Cons
were going to pick up loads with line drivers instead of local
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Chester, VADecember 27, 2017
Only had 1 bad thing happen while I worked there and that was from a dishonest dispatcher but he was one of the very few. Epes kept me running and the equipment was top notch.NOTE: To Epes management, 63MPH is way too slow in today's traffic lanes. Other than that great company. Had to leave because of family custody change.
Pros
Equipment, pay, time home
Cons
Trucks way too slow
Communication barrier
Driver (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 26, 2017
No work was available. Having time off during the week. The communication between them is horrible. Dispatcher would not respond and sometimes forget to send load assignments.
Poor Management
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 17, 2017
Company is beleaguered by poor management and lax response to employee concerns. The company does offer a generous benefits package; however, the overall pay scale is low compared to that of similar companies.
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, poor management
Fun
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 31, 2017
Great job highly recommend this company too anyone looking to come off the road and be home on weekends guaranteed! Communication is at a high level with epes
Great company to work for.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 28, 2017
Epes has a caring attitude about their employees. Great company to work for. I would recommend this company because of their great reputation and benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Better pay for experienced drivers