Equinox Employee Reviews

Hi paced workplace
Personal Trainer and Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CADecember 11, 2018
Members are very demanding, Bad managers come and go, but it takes time and patience for people to notice. Culture is better than most other gyms though.
Pros
Better Pay than 24 hour fitness
Cons
Customers extremely demanding
great place to start your career
Trainer, Tier III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
Equinox is a great place to work if your serious about your personal trainer career. EFTI is great way to take your skills to the level............................
great place to get fit
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2018
learned a lot about myself and my body in my time with equinox. typical day would consist of working with clients and if i had free time i would give chair massages to guests to build my books.
Stay away
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 3, 2018
Not a professional environment to work in, even when you try to mind your own business. You will quickly learn about people's personal lives because everyone just gossips about each other all day, everyday. Management is awful!!! Turnover is very high. Some members treat you like trash. Low pay. Only good thing is the free membership, but even that isn't worth staying for.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Cliquey, low pay, high turnover
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2018
Very stressful everyone including the top bosses only look out for themselves. If it comes down to you and their job you will get thrown under the bus. Very unprofessional treat the members with no respect and brush them off easily.
Pros
Work out for free
Cons
Short breaks, no respect, no health care
Fun place but sometimes too much play...
Front Desk Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 14, 2018
Good culture and great members.
Over-all (for me at least) the members kept me there. A lot of the managers do not really put in the focus necessary to achieve results for their employees. There is an underlying issue that they somehow benefit or don’t care to address, which is the need to hire trainers when some of their senior trainers do not have enough clients. I feel that they hire trainers with the premise to maintain floor shifts on schedule month-to-month, week-to-week. Also with the premise that if you are there all the time you WILL gain clients. This is a technique that causes a huge turnover of trainers which has a negative effect on members. Not really smart, especially considering that these members are sick and tired of being bothered on the floor by new trainers who are trying to get them to buy all the time, and you need those members to buy for the personal training business to flourish.

Great education for trainers. In fact maybe the best around. My advice, if you can afford it, is to stay as long as you can to get a great education and experience then go on your own.
Pros
Great members! Great culture! Great education!
Cons
No benefits! No professionalism! High turnover!
Great experience
TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CANovember 14, 2018
Great experience with this company. Top notch educational programs. Glad I worked here to gain needed experience. Would recommend to any new trainers hands down.
Good Place To Volunteer
Volunteer Food Server (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 13, 2018
Equinox is a great place to get back on your feet. The staff make the extra effort to go the extra mile. The regular meals there really help the budget dollar last. K

Kudos Equinox!
Great place to get educated in personal training
Certified Personal Trainer/Physical Therapist Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2018
They are one of the best health clubs to work in. They offered continuing education to help the trainers educate clients and perform their best. Co-workers assisted in helping each other achieve personal goals as well as business goals.
Bright and Dim
Front desk associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
From having multiple opportunities to work for health and fitness related facilities, I can say without a doubt that Equinox has been the best fit for me personally. I have worked at LifeTime fitness, xsport fitness and Equinox. Out of the three listed, two are higher end facilities bringing a motivating factor to the atmosphere. Equinox offered a sense of being great even from where you are starting, its not about where you start but how you finish. I love the atmosphere and I loved being able to form relationships with members bringing me a social friend group outside of work.

However in my experience at Equinox, I can say that there could be some additional Management training and how the management team should act on things on a day to day basis.
Pros
Membership, discounted freshii
Cons
Limited gym hours
Pyramid Scheme
Overnight Janitor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
Management expects you to work long hours with low pay and it takes forever to get the slightest raise. Members, who pay a minimum of $200 a month for membership there feel as if they can treat employees as they choose with zero judicial intervention; the result being that they would yell rude comments at your or about the quality of the club because they feel too on top due the the amount of money they pay for membership. A member literally challenged me to a fight after I politely told him that the club was closed and we had to ask him to leave. Even though members pay $200 a month they pay minimum wage and the only time I would get paid more was if it was overtime.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Members constantly harass you and management expects too much
I liked it for a bit, but...
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
The hours are harsh, you either go in the morning or at night with no in-between. The pay was bad. Social and work life was terrible since the hours were so long. I did have free access to use the facility whenever I wanted to.
Pros
Free use of the gym
Cons
terrible hours
Wide ranging experiences
Pilates Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2018
I loved working for Equinox when I had good management. It can have a great atmosphere when everyone is dedicated to the success of the club while still operating from a place of warmth. Many employees lose sight of this because of the nature of their pay structure.
Productive and friendly enviroment
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Taught morning and night classes
Learned new skills, management and marketing
Excellent management team
Great work environment and very positive
Nothing was hard
Helping people learn about balance and a healthy life style
Equinox will either break you or make you
Personal Trainer - Tier 3+ (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 20, 2018
if your are truly passionate about what you do you will thrive at Equinox. If you are someone that takes shortcuts or lacks basic work ethic you will not be capable of handling it. Management is not a good score because of the turnover, I literally had 8 different managers in a year. The hardest part o the job are the long hours and trying to distribute your energy with all your clients. I love what I do, seeing my clients progress is pricless.
Pros
you manage your own business
Cons
the clock in system
Fun place to work
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2018
Can make your own hours.
Good workplace culture and colleagues.
Free gym membership and discounts at on site apparel store.
No benefits if you don't have a good client base.
Have to get your own clients with very little help from management.
productive work place
Greenwich Ave - Frontdesk Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
Its can be busy in the mornings so you must work at a quick paste.
I've learned to see through members eyes, to Listen, know the members and exceed expectations.
Pros
positive vibe
Cons
short breaks
Solid experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 15, 2018
This was a great opportunity in working as part of a management team. The operations manager aids the assistant general manager and general manager in budget adherence and operations flow. You can see the impact of your work when you are pulling your weight and that is extremely gratifying.
Nothing about this job is hard
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2018
You go in with your given assignments and do them with the companies standard. Neat, clean, and organized. If you plan your shift correctly you can be done with all your assignments before your shift is over. This job is not hard, it is pretty straightforward.
Pros
free membership
Cons
short breaks, gets boring fast
Managers make it tough. Coworkers make it fun
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 9, 2018
it's in the title
the management is not great. they care about the business too much and they do not give a dam about the employees. they are corporate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equinox. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight