Equinox Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Kids club associate
Kids Club Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 20, 2018
Great job interacting with kids from ages 3 months to 7 years old. Wish it was more organized. Have to be self motivated and a multitasker to work here.
Pros
Beautiful gym, great people
Cons
Not enough hours or benefits
If you wish to live,eat, breath Equinox 24/7 then.....
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJune 14, 2018
If you wish to live, eat, and breath Equinox then this is the place for you. Let me say the positive and negatives of Equinox in an objective review before I state my personal experiences there:

Pros
- Higher than average per session pay vs other gyms
- They make great efforts to ensure they have decent trainers
- The gym is fairly clean and well kept

Cons
- They expect you to essentially live there. Even if you are not on the clock, you are expected to show up early in the morning and hustle on you own time till late in the evening to build you clientele. Better have a nice savings if you plan on doing this, or have a significant other to take care of you. I had neither.
- You will have to hustle to get clients
- Click mentality. If you don't get help from the admin staff and other trainers, you won't last long.
- When you are not actually training yet on the clock, you are paid minimum wage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left as a result of a false statements made by a manager regarding a conversation that we had. I cannot go into detail as the review would not be accepted.
Good work place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
It was a good work environment but they wanted me to do what I wasn't had to. The manager was good but co workers liked to talk about others. And they where payimg me to be a coat check but I had to clean the lobby, the stairs, the offices, the store and more.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Great Neck, NYJune 13, 2018
I like being a lifeguard for Equinox because the managers leave you alone and let you do your job and no one is riding you. I got Paid higher than all the other lifeguards solely because of my experience. The personal trainers are mad chill and the 3 Managers are chill also. I mean you have to be a real Stupid person to mess up such an easy gig. You do nothing for 7 hours and get paid for it , easy money

Let’s not forget the most important thing yet...... there soup smells good, they got Shaving cream and razor (Not the cheap stuff too) and Body moisturizer that is really good for your skin but has no older
Pros
Managers, employees, free gym membership
Cons
Just make sure to get your sleep because the heat will put you to sleep
managemet
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 12, 2018
i do not no about the culture ,i do not have to much to say about them cause i left because they did it enouth hourly and they only $11 that was my hardest part of my job
Greats workplace
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 8, 2018
Typical day at equinox consisted hard work,maintaining a clean environment and meeting new people. I enjoyed working at equinox because the positive energy and great vibes.
Pros
Being able to work out
Cons
Short breaks
Collaborative environment with great atmosphere
Personal Trainer - Level III (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
Equinox Sports Club in Manhattan's Upper West side is a fantastic place to be a Personal Trainer, with supportive and collaborative colleagues, supportive and educated management and clientele that keeps the trainers motivated, engaged and challenged. There is an exceptional level of education provided and the attention to detail separates Equinox from every other fitness facility.
All about aesthetics
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2018
The manager was concerned with selling products and keeping her schedule full then providing quality massage therapy. I would not work there again for that reason.
Cool place to work at for a free membership
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2018
Very busy and fast-paced. I learned how to think quickly on my feet. The management isn't great and they have issues staffing people and with scheduling constantly. Great culture within the employees, everyone's friendly and knows each other. toughest part is waking up to open the gym (have to be there at 4:30am). best part is the free membership and employee discounts.
Pros
free membership
Cons
poor management
equinox review
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2018
I honestly love the environment of Equinox. My managers are beyond helpful and resourceful. The pay at Equinox just is not that consistent and that would be my only complaint. Aside from that this is a company I continue to work with until I become more consistent.
Pros
Great environment, flexible hours
Cons
slow start up, inconsistent pay
Very fun and collaborative!
Kids Club Associate (Former Employee) –  La Costa, CAMay 23, 2018
Positive environment and coworkers. Everyone was incredibly nice and professional. I loved the environment and being able to work alongside such positive energies!
Good place to work if you have other things going on in your life
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
As a group fitness instructor, expect to start with a low wage, but wages will increase over time. If you are a performer or someone with a few side hustles, this would be a good other job for you. There is the opportunity to grow if you're interested in management.
Cons
no health care unless full time
Group Exercise
Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  All over NYCMay 19, 2018
I taught group exercise. They were opened to my ideas and individuality. They are always willing to expand and listing to new ideas. I appreciate what they are doing and creating
Pros
beautiful facilty
Cons
pay could be better
Very hard market for massage therapists
Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Palos Verdes Estates, CAMay 19, 2018
You're basically running your own business within their facility. You have to put in a significant amount of work to grow a client base. I was giving a lot of my talent away for free with the hope of getting potential clients. This included floor shifts, emails and cold calls. I'm a massage therapist, not a salesperson.

As a Tier 1 therapist, I was making $12/session (50 minute massage at $124). It was hard to sell massage services on top of the monthly membership rate.

I would not recommend working here. It's definitely a numbers game.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pay and hours
Fast paced and high stress
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
The job is fast paced and in a stressful environment. Loud music plays and the location I worked at was dimly lit, thus providing more of a club feeling.
Pros
Front des work was not difficult
Cons
loud music, unable to sit down, not paid enough
Very exclusive and posh culture
Spa Concierge (Former Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAMay 13, 2018
a place to see and be seen. Quick to hand out write-ups and it's easy to feel small in such a place. Very competitive, but never usually pays off. Decent discount on spa services.
Pros
discounts
Cons
barely any breaks
Great Community Atmosphere, company expects a lot from you for very little
Maintenance Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
95% of the members are friendly, co-workers are cool, even management is supportive. However being one of the cogs in the machine that is Equinox is a lot of work. Every one has it rough here, from Maintenance to the membership advisors. Employment is consistent though.
Healthcare
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stratford, CTMay 10, 2018
A typical work day is great. Nice place to work. There are no hard part of the job. The job is easy and the hr department is superb. It is a great agency. the only thing I would change is the rate of pay. They should pay more and offer sick time, vacation time, etc.....
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No sick, vacation and personal time available
best company to start your personal training business
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
At Equinox I learned the basics of personal training and I was always looking to achieve the next level becoming a Tier 2 trainer, there is plenty of career advancement options at Equinox.
productive
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
it was really mostlly very likely to be the best or worst or good or bad place to work or to not work blah blah this summamry i hjate typing its a drag and a half

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equinox. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight