Equity Residential Employee Reviews

Decent company - Decent wage
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 13, 2018
I managed a small community for Equity Residential. The regional was great and taught me a lot. I enjoyed working there until they sold my property to Emperian Management.
Pros
Decent Wages / Bonus Structure
Cons
Holds strong to their mission statement
General Manager and Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 12, 2018
I am in about 30 minutes before the staff gets in and I walk the properties. Once the staff arrives, I meet with my Service Manager first thing. I then check in with my leasing and concierge staffs to get a clear vision of their day. I finish off by talking with the cleaning staff and setting up a project to complete daily. I will send out a daily email of our leasing activity, projects and issues to my Regional Manager. I will usually have resident meetings sporadically throughout the day. I will pay, meet and confirm appointments with vendors. I will check in, with my staff, over the course of the day to be sure everyone is on track with their day. We have pricing calls every two weeks and portfolio meetings every two weeks. On Tuesday I will go to the corporate office and on board all new employees to the Boston region. It is an all day training. About once a week, I will go to other communities and perform training sessions on various topics.

The biggest things I have learned as a manager is to have a clear vision, a lot of patients and that nothing is what it initial seems. We are a team. We need to have each other's backs. Once everyone sees the direction/vision we need to stay on course. Bumps along the road are part of the journey and I welcome them. I enjoy figuring it all out and hopefully come out of it better than we went in. I want the staff to feel they can speak with me about anything. It is important to me that they feel work is a safe place. And most importantly it is a place they want to come to each day!!!

Equity had a great culture. They firmly believe
  more... in diversity and engagement. They take to heart employee recommendations and try to bring them in to everyone's work life. They can run a little bit lean on staffing. They freely admit that and are always working on it. It is the most challenging part of the job but I enjoy a busy, full day. I like getting my hands dirty and making a difference when the day is over.

My passion is Training and Coaching. I have always enjoyed it so much and I am very good at it. Seeing an employee advance to the next level, with the belief that my training has helps them, is one of the best parts of my job.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Staffing can be a bit lean
Culture is great
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaJuly 11, 2018
Equity culture is great since it is focusing on people. They do care about their residents and employees but Equity can do more for their front line employees such as keep rent increase minimal for its employees to create more loyalty. RM should be doing their job and assist their manager more on staffing issue, and other issues. They do a lo of appreciate for maintenance team but really nothing for the management team since they are the ones who work extremely hard and long hours. Commission structure for new move in is not compatible with the market, may need to revisit. EQR really need to focus on recognize the hard working employee not the loud making noise employee. Overall it is a great company but there are a lot of room to improve.
Pros
competitive salary and great culture
Cons
No work life balance
Productive and a fun place to work
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 9, 2018
An 8-hour workday. I have learned active listening skills and time management. They encourage a work-life balance culture to promote the well-being of the employee.
Pros
Free snacks, coffee and water
Cons
Short breaks
easily replaced in a second
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 7, 2018
They don't t care about their employees. We are over worked, underpaid, under appreciated, etc. It all comes down to how much money we make the company while most of us can barely afford to live regardless of the high rent discount. If it wasn't for the discount, many would no longer be with this company.

Yes, we can always get a different job, but its not that easy.
Pros
rent discount
Cons
no work/life balance, high expectations with no help
They fail to follow their own rules
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 5, 2018
Number eight is preached about daily but when push comes to shove they quickly forget about their 10rules to success. ESPECIALLY NUMBER 8. Please pass this on to the CEO.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Too much time chasing behind green employees and I couldn’t get my work done in eight hours.
Safe work environment with organized staff
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYJune 11, 2018
Work environment was pleasant and we'll organized.
Manager was respectful and fair. Fast paced and diversity in work tasks. Clean area to eat lunch for all employees.
Pros
Organized and fair
Cons
Pay and benefits
Call Center Job
Relocation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 11, 2018
I worked in the Equity Call Center. The model was very advanced for it's time and well-run. Some of the matrices were not thought completely through with regard to personal connection over scripting.
Great Company To Work For
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 29, 2018
I've been with Equity Residential for over 6 years. The salary is competitive, benefits are exceptional and the company promotes work life balance. Thanks to Equity being located in most major cities I was able to transfer and work in different markets. Equity does a good job keeping its employees involved and keeping the lines of communication open.
Pros
Benefits, Rent Discounts and Work Life balance
Cons
Located only in Big cities, no suburban presence
Vary good company to work for.
Service Technician Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2018
Received daily work load ,do morning chores. Continue on daily duties.
Management was great to work for.
Work place was diverse.
Hardest part of the job was getting on the roof of 3 story building to work on ac.
Most enjoyable part of job was the rest of the team.

Want to know more about Equity Residential?

Ask a question
Cool place
Leasing Consultant/Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2018
All I want to do is apply for jobs and indeed is making me do this. It is sheer torture. I have two more employers to go and 30 letters. Sorry that this is not helpful, nut I am going to be here all night.
Pros
Akll
Cons
ewenf;ewn;fnweonenewnn
Love it so far!
Concierge (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
It’s probably the best choice I made as far as a career, I want to get more involved with the company down the road! Everything is very easy to learn and there is always room for more to learn!
Pros
Amazing atmosphere in some buildings
Cons
Some Residents can be mean as well as workers
Equity Residential
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMay 11, 2018
The Management is all about money and not the residents. They do not work with the prospects at all, they make so much money but do not want to change the things on the property that can look much more appealing to our prospects. They show favoritism towards certain employees and they are not held accountable, and they are promoted in higher position without fallowing the company standards rules and policies. Opportunity for advancement was completely based on an almost nepotistic basis. Upper management is focused on the bottom line and the employees and tenants are most affected by their policies.
Pros
Medical Insurance
Cons
Poor Management
Non Productive too excessive politics
Senior Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 7, 2018
I would work here again if only the compensation was better though I'm not sure about the company statewide but the local property I previously worked did not meet the pay rate to the roles.
No Management Structure
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 26, 2018
The Management is all about money and not the residents. They do not work with the prospects at all, they make so much money but do not want to change the things on the property that can look much more appealing to our prospects. They don't care too much for the prospects that sell their homes and readjust their finances and living situations to come to a Equity property, but then when their apartment is no longer available the company does not follow the policy of keeping that promise to the prospect.
Mediocre Work Enviornment. Needs some improvement
Concierge-Part Time-Saturday and Sunday (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAApril 23, 2018
Equity is a decent work place. I feel they show favoritism towards certain employees and they are not held accountable. They can improve on the annual performance bonuses.
Pros
Flexibility, Pto, Promotion Opportunities
Cons
Employee Moral, Residents difficult at some properties
Solid Forward Thinking Company
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaApril 20, 2018
My work day is busy and fast paced. It is challenging and I love it! I manage a large team of incredible people. The group I work with are not afraid to "drink the kool-aid". Equity has our buy-in! Equity Residential is constantly changing how things are done. They bring in new technology and in my opinion are industry leaders in most ventures. The leadership asks for feed back regularly. They listen and often implement these new ideas from the field that make our work lives easier.
In the past, I do believe the company did not necessarily pay fairly. However, in the past 5 years, I have seen great improvement in this area. The new hires are being brought in at rate that is more consistent with other companies. The current employees have seen market raises and merit raises at year end. I appreciate that they recognized they had fallen behind. I believe that I am paid fairly for my role.
Pros
Recognition, benefits, they listen to your needs, lots of paid time off, Great people, 401k matching, training, training and more training.
Cons
Locations are primarily in big city areas, expensive rents, operate with a very lean staff
April 25, 2018

What a powerful message to support a 5 star review - thank you! We truly appreciate your tenured insight, as well as your perspective on changes over the past few years. Employee engagement is a continued focus and priority. As you noted, we solicit feedback from our employees on a regular basis, and listen to their suggestions in an effort to identify opportunities and ways to improve.

To that point, we want to address your noted “cons”, and share that we are constantly reviewing industry and market rent trends, as well as areas and neighborhoods that will complement our current portfolios. Please know that our staffing models are also reviewed on a regular basis, taking community specific operational needs into consideration to ensure that we have appropriate coverage.

Thank you, again, for your comments, excitement, positivity and dedication!

Excellent Company to work for
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAApril 9, 2018
Equity Residential was one of the best Management Companies to work for. I was given any and all tools needed to do my job, and could at anytime ask for whatever I need, Coworkers were wonderful. Great Company to work for.
Pros
Bonuses, Company Outings, etc...
July 6, 2018

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time working with us at EQR - we definitely always look to provide all the resources necessary to excel, and are so glad to hear you felt supported.

Great Culture and Growth
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAApril 4, 2018
I love working at Equity. They're a great company that really values their employees and their opinions. Upper management is easily accessible and is happy to support your learning and growth. I would easily recommend Equity to anyone looking to work in the field.
Pros
Rent Discount, competitive pay, support from management.
July 6, 2018

First off, thank you for the wonderful review. We definitely always look to support our team members, to have transparency with our training and decision-making, and actively seek feedback from our team members.

a little unsupported
Evening Concierge - Olympus Apartments (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 3, 2018
Management didn't work with the evening shifts very frequently, so often I felt unsupported. But the upside of that is that I knew I was trusted. Days were busy with many interactions with residents and contractors.
Pros
the residents were wonderful
Cons
long shifts with little interaction with superiors
July 6, 2018

Thank you for providing honest and valuable feedback; we definitely always want our team members to feel supported, whether they are working directly with on site management or working autonomously. We are sorry to hear that you did not have this experience, and we appreciate you taking the time to share feedback to help us improve. We wish you the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equity Residential. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight