Play YouTube video button

Equity Residential Employee Reviews

Featured review
Equity Residential selected this as a representative review
This company is amazing to work for. They truly value and care for their employees. The focus on work-life balance which is hard to find.
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 17, 2018
Upper Management truly listens
Benefits are amazing
Paid days off are great
Promotion from within
Diversity council
Ongoing training

This has been the best company I have worked for in my past 15 years of experience.
union concierge
Union Concierge (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
fulfilled the duties of a concierge. Attended to the lobby and everything and everyone who came in and out of the building. Maintaining the safety and security of the building and the residents.

Created a warm heartfelt welcome in to the building. Made both residents and outside vendors welcome to come home to.
Not too bad
Doorman/Concierge (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Not my cup of tea. Maybe it was just the building i was located at. But the company does not seem to be so bad. A little too serious. They need to chill out a bit and smile. Everyone seem depressed and like they hated working for Equity.
Great Place to Work
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 10, 2019
Loved working here. So sorry I had to relocate. Everyone from the top of the totome pole to the bottom were extremely relatable people. This company has great values.
Nice Environment
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2019
I've enjoyed my job at EQR. Good pay for a call center, good people, fun environment. Work from home opportunities after a certain period of time. Just need to make more money.
Pros
Fun, nice people, helpful
ok
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 9, 2018
not crazy about this company they do not care about the people who work for them. they only care about meeting the goals required by the upper management team
Good For Stable Housing/Employment
Senior Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 6, 2018
One of the best housing packages compared to other companies in the Silicon Valley (50%, now 40% off of housing). Most of the decision making comes from top management so you get little say as to what happens on your property. Equity's version of MRI is much more intelligent than other systems. Leasing quotas are very lax. You don't engage much with other communities so you tend to stay in your own property bubble. Not as many job position openings compared to other companies so if you're looking to advance quickly it may be best to look elsewhere. Also depends on region you're in as their portfolio can be a bit spare in certain areas.
Pros
Generous Housing Program, Relaxed Culture, Supportive Management
Cons
Healthcare, Hr, Lack of Open Positions
Comfortable But Limited
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 1, 2018
I was promised a number of promotions.I interviewed for the promotions, even began doing the work at the new positions. They kept not giving me my raises or official new titles I was promised. It happened repeatedly, became very frustrating.
Best company I've ever worked for in my 21 years in this industry
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 19, 2018
I cant say enough great things about Equity! I loved working for this company and still would be if they didn't sell all of their communities in Florida. If I would have been able to relocate to stay working for them I would have.
Pros
Leader in tech advancement, great corporate structure, excellent and continuous education, best management
Cons
Pay was under most competitive companies
Good place to learn Real Estate
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
I started my career here and learned so much of what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be. I advanced pretty quickly for a few years, but after being a community manager, there is no where to go unless you want to relocate out of state.
Pros
Good group environment
Cons
no advancement
Ok
Maintenace Technician (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 24, 2018
wasn't a bad to work there just low pay for a lot of work that had very little equipment to accomplish the task properly but all in all not bad place to work but I believe they are no longer in Colorado
Pros
hours and benefits
Cons
pay
BEST Job I've Ever Had
Regional Learning Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Working at Equity Residential was AMAZING! I was limited in the area of career growth - which was the ONLY reason I left. It's a great culture with solid leadership - headed in a great direction. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Enjoy the Ride
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 10, 2018
As a corporate employee, it's expected that you're influencing and shaping Equity's success. No matter the department or team you work on, we all feel we're making that impact. We're encouraged to share our ideas, challenge the status quo, take educated risks, and test our limits. Certainly, there are times when things get stressful and it doesn't seem like you can get it all done. But that's because we're encouraged not to just get things done, but get things done at a high level of quality resulting in a remarkable experience for our residents, employees, and shareholders. When our results are good, we all enjoy the ride (financially and socially). Equity strives to have an embracing, encouraging, and diverse culture. They definitely exceed those goals.

Only cons: sometimes we think we're the best at EVERYTHING. Having worked for other real estate companies, we certainly have some catching up to do. However, the pros far outweigh the cons here!
Great Place to Work!
Central Business Group (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 7, 2018
What I appreciate the most about working for Equity Residential is the changes. EQR is consistently making makes to improve and if it does now work out then they will listen to their employee's feedback. EQR challenges their employees to be better not only at their job but they encourage and provide the tools to live a healthier and happier life.
Day to day
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 28, 2018
I was to make ready for new renters and maintain grounds and keep up with work orders . I was to paint , plumbing, electrical, repair walls, keep things running and make sure lights are working for safety
September 6, 2018

Thanks for sharing this “day in the life” perspective with anyone considering a maintenance position with Equity! We hope that you enjoyed your experience maintaining and repairing one of our apartment communities and that it was a fun and collaborative workplace. Best wishes to you!

Productive and Fun place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
Equity was by far the best company i ever worked for. They provided with with skills that i will be able to carry with me forever! If i didn’t have to resign to take care of my special needs child I’ll more than likely would still be an employee of Equity. It’s a Greta place to work and i recommend it to anyone in the property management field.
Pros
Benefits, Competitive Pay, Paid Vacations
Cons
None that i can think of
September 6, 2018

Wow - what a great compliment! We are so appreciative of you taking the time to share your positive experience with our company. While we are sad that our time together ended, we’re thrilled to know that you learned some great skills that you’ll continue to apply in your career. We appreciate all of your contributions, and would love for you to return if your circumstances ever make that possible. In the meantime, we wish you and your family nothing but the best.

I enjoyed everything about this Job
Property Manager, Tampa (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33607August 9, 2018
I was a property manager for this Company in Tampa Florida I really enjoyed the work. They really took good care of all their employees. I lived on property for free and it was very nice.
Pros
Free apartment
September 6, 2018

We love to hear from our former team members — thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with us! It’s great to hear that you Enjoyed the Ride with us and that you felt appreciated. Those are two goals we strive to accomplish every day. We appreciate you!

Poor Management!
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 4, 2018
Under the poor management I left the company, because I was bullied and she wanted me out by telling me that I don't have work ethic, after I won 17 times EMC365, two times silver coin, three times nominee in the elite team, and a winner of the ten ways and etc
August 8, 2018

We are sorry to hear of any negative experience you had working with us and appreciate the transparency so we can work to be better in the future. While we do have high expectations of our team members, first and foremost we want them to feel valued. We hope you had an opportunity to share your concerns with a manager or with Human Resources before moving on; if not, we encourage you to reach out so we can learn more. We wish you the best.

Too many changes
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 3, 2018
When I first started working with equity residential, everything was good, then came the change in top management in 2006. The work environment quickly lost its human touch and became all about your numbers and nothing in between. Policies and ways of doing thing were constantly changed. It felt like the staff had lost their voice. The company did throw great parties though.
September 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. One thing that is constant in this fast-paced industry and company is change! 2006 was quite some time ago, so we don’t quite know how to address the specific changes you felt at that time, but we are very proud of the advances we have made as a company every year since then and the leadership team we have in place today. We wish you all the best.

Laid back quiet envrionment
Residential Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 30, 2018
Equity is a great place to work but there is not a chance to advance your career within AZ. If you're looking for a fast paced environment then this a great place to work.
August 8, 2018

Thank you for your honesty - while the available positions are more limited in Arizona, there are always opportunities for advancement in different markets. We do our best to challenge and grow our employees not only through promotions, but also through challenging projects, developing peers, and testing their own limits. We hope to find a way to continue to engage and retain you, and encourage you to speak with your manager about more opportunities to challenge yourself in your role!

Equity changed dramatically after The Archstone purchase
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 19, 2018
Residents suddenly became 'the enemy." It was strange and unpleasant. It wasn't like that when I first started with them. I thought I had found a home. I was wrong.
September 6, 2018

We are sorry to hear that this is your perception of our company. Since Archstone was a private company and Equity is a publicly traded one, we have very different business models. With that being said, we do not at all believe that residents are the enemy; they are the reason we are in business and we are grateful that they choose to make our communities their home. We are sorry for whatever occurred that made you feel that way, and we wish you all the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equity Residential. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss