Equity Residential
Happiness rating is 68 out of 100

Equity Residential Employee Reviews

Featured review
Equity Residential selected this as a representative review
Always on top of innovation. Ever supporting the teams achieve their objectives. Truly a diverse and inclusive company that feels like family. Focuses on constant training and expansion utilizing true opinions from current employees in the field.
This is a company Productive and a good place to grow and gain more experience . The employees are easy going makes it a comfortable working environment.
Pros
Gained lots of knowledge in fixing appliances and bettered my painting skills
Cons
N/a
Good company. Nice staff and very busy. Lots to learn, multiple screens and callers from coast to coast. Inbound calls, structure and metrics to follow. Monthly meetings all equipment provided. Can be stressful but communication and control is key. Professionalism is a must with systems in place and daily monitoring but not over the top.
Pros
Benefits, company morale is excellent. Never boring and very busy...closely monitored but not micro managed.
Cons
Pay could be a bit better.
April 14, 2021
This is wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your part of the Equity Team! Thank you for stopping by to review your role and Equity Residential!
Been with this company over a period of two years and the work environment is great with my staff that I have. If you're part of the building staff the only downside is that having a work life balance is difficult due to the need of work. In order to advance you have to put in work off the clock and show them you’re serious which could be difficult since time is of the essence for most people especially people with families.
Pros
Great company culture and models
Cons
No work life balance. Hard to advance
April 14, 2021
We are happy to hear that you really enjoy the company culture and your colleagues. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and development in your career with us. As a team, we always want to hear what we can do to help advance your career and “Share the Knowledge”. Please know that all time worked should be on the clock, so please contact your supervisor or Human Resources if you have any questions. Thank you for leaving a review!
I would definitely work for Equity again if I had an opportunity to work for them again. Also loved living at Woodleaf in Campbell, really nice complex and great location
March 17, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Equity. We find that the team is what people love and miss the most, after moving on. Please continue to review our Careers Page for any openings that might become available in your area!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
My best job ever, awesome culture and diversity.I wish they could have stay in the Houston market but they sold the entire Houston portfolio and left many a good people missed them wish they could come back
Pros
My best job ever, awesome culture and diversity.
February 16, 2021
Thank you so much for visiting our page, and for your 5 star review! The worst part about exiting any market is saying goodbye to so many talented and hardworking employees, and we are sorry that our time together ended. We hope you have continued to enjoy a rewarding career in the industry, and wish you the best of luck!
TormentingNo support from upper management when holding an insubordinate staff accountable. Union members do the bare minimum. You’re hired as a service manager/asst. director but the reality is youre a glorified handyman, concierge and Porter; you are a one man show with an audience.
Pros
You’re near Central Park
Cons
Everything a nightmare describes
February 5, 2021
We are disappointed to hear about your experience, and hope that you were able to share your feedback with Human Resources. What you've described is the opposite of what we strive for, and so if you would like to share additional details about your time with Equity, please contact Human Resources at 646-833-3972.
Good place to work for although work life balance is hard to achieve. Even more so when people leave and you are waiting for positions to be filled. Handling the work load alone is hard.
February 5, 2021
Thank you for your review and your time with us! I’m sorry you have felt the weight of your team members leaving. Please reach out to your Community Manager or Regional Manager to let them know how you are feeling - there may be opportunities for additional support.
I love this company i try to go back working with them anytime i try to aplay to work with them again i was working for this company for almost 6 months but ever time i feel bud because Of I leave the that was my real place
February 22, 2021
Thank you for the 5 star review! We appreciate your kind words, as well as your expressed interest in reapplying with Equity.
For an entry-level position, this is a good place to get your foot in the door and get that title on your resume. While there are opportunities for growth, they like to go with experienced candidates from outside, instead of educating and promoting from within. They also seem to care way more about their corporate employees than about the employees at their properties.
Pros
good place to start, not overwhelming for a newcomer
Cons
long days, short breaks, no employee appreciation, no room for growth
February 22, 2021
Thank you for your comments. We support and encourage continued learning and growth opportunities, and are sorry to hear that wasn’t your experience. While we love to promote from within, there are instances in which we hire externally, as there are many different factors that we take into consideration when making hiring decisions. Please know that we value all of our employees, regardless of title and/or work location. We appreciate all of our employees contributions, and are constantly acknowledging their efforts through recognition platforms such as our Be.Think.Play.Live coins, our 10 Ways awards, team shout outs, and Awards of Excellence (just to name a few!).
Equity residential has the potential to be great for you! Unless you get stuck under a service manager who does the bare minimum. Equity residential has a habit of hiring lazy, unorganized service managers. When service technicians try and let upper management know about what is going on, they will be met with the cold shoulder and a bad attitude. They will immediately blame you for for the service managers inability to perform, as a way to cover up the fact that management will not reprimand or hold other management accountable to do their job. If you file an hr claim they will ignore the issue you have brought to their attention and instead they will make the entire meeting about you and try and deflect everything away from them holding management accountable. Do not be deceived. Equity residential cares more about saving face, than making progress. This is a common sentiment amongst employees not in a management position. And once you do reach a management position, they will abandon you. There have been 2 suicides by equity technicians in Washington in 2 years.
Pros
Pay
February 17, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. What you’ve described doesn’t align with our values, nor is it reflective of what we strive for. We take allegations like these very seriously and offer our employees resources to share their perspectives and/or experiences, such as our Call to Action Hotline (800-231-5699). We value our employees, and have benefits like our Employee Assistance Program readily available to anyone experiencing difficult times. Please know that Equity Residential does not tolerate the behaviors that you have outlined; we are committed to fostering a culture of equity and equality, and highly encourage anyone on our team to speak up if they experience otherwise.
I guess it depends what building you going ro work at. Overall its ok to work for this company but eventually you would want to move on. If you go out of your way and do many great things to improve your working environment it doesnt count but if you make 1 mistake it get written down and it all piles up. So at the end employee looses and company wont provide any room to grow
Pros
Work with good people
Cons
Not the best structure
February 23, 2021
Thank you for taking some time to let us know about your experience while you were with our team. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have the opportunity to gain more exposure to other areas that you might have hoped for. At Equity, we want to make sure that you are having conversations about your growth and development during regular check-ins with your manager. Our Organizational and Talent Development teams provide many training resources, and we would have loved to come up with a growth strategy that you could be the driver of. Thank you for reviewing our company!
It's alright. The manager is to die for and he always puts us first. Such a kind man. Other employees are also homey and so nice. I am learning so much from them yay!
Pros
So so nice
Cons
None!
The company as a whole is great! Great healthcare, competitive pay. The work life balance is tough due to the days off. However, that comes with the LC role. I do feel they make it insanely hard to transfer within the company. Many inconsistencies on procedures depending on property you work for. If you are offered a floater position and want to move up in the company, RUN.
Pros
healthcare, commission, rent discounts
Cons
days off, growth opportunities
I worked for EQR for 10 years and loved it! Three different communities with very different environments, from the largest community to one of the smallest. I looked forward to going to work each day. Every day was different, some days were very challenging but overall a great company to work for.
I worked as a night concierge the benefits and job security is great plus you get a 30% rental discount. The manager who hired me was phenomenal, and he really cared and support you in anything. Unfortunately, he got promoted, and the guy who took over was not very good in my opinion. I really did not feel any support coming from this new manager and it was obvious he did not like dealing with issues. The company itself is very good and you feel welcome and happy. However, dealing with bad residents, or unauthorized residents can be the bad part of the job. I also felt I was underpaid for all the things I was doing besides by regular duties. They give you an evaluation and a raise every year; however, the raise is never that much and for what I was doing I definitely need it a good raise. I had coworkers reporting unauthorized residents who were harassing or creating problems management never did anything to address these issues. At some point my coworkers did not feel safe to go to work anymore, because of shady activities and fear of unauthorized residents. The legal department for Equity is a joke they allowed anyone to get away with having pets, just because they claim emotional support all pets were approved, without doing a fair investigation. Also eviction process takes forever and you are the one who has to deal with problematic residents, that should had been evicted long ago. Overall I did enjoy my time here this job is for sure not for the weak person you must have tough skin and know how to deal with difficult situations.
Pros
Rental Discount, awards and parties.
Cons
Problematic residents, no room for advancement
The company as a whole was probably a good company to work for. However, the direct supervisor I worked under, seemed like she was setting me up for failure. I met most of my goals, but she focused on peripheral goals that weren’t my primary responsibility, and punished me for not meeting them. I don’t know if she still is a supervisor there, but based on my experience working under her, I would not recommend working for Equity residential.
Pros
Training and compliance
Cons
Poor leadership, lack of communication, low salary to responsibility ratio
I genuinely enjoy my job. But I need to increase my income. I'm proud of Equity Residential and love our new motto, Racism does not live here! Diversified & Respectful!
I grew up from the ground up with Equity, started out as a groundskeeper and worked my way up to Property Manager. I really enjoyed my time with Equity over the 16 years I worked with them, sad when they pulled out of my market.
Pros
Solid company with great growth
Cons
Limited markets
Great company to work for. Management is very respectful team driven, highly motivated, depending which asset one manages it is very challenging and work life balance non existing.
Great place to work. Promotes internally. Encourages work life balance. Only issue is they stretch teams thin and it enough extra coverage for when employees take time off.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
They stretch the teams thin
  1. Employee Reviews