Erickson Living Employee Reviews

Featured review
Erickson Living selected this as a representative review
Fast Paced and fun work environment
GREENSPRING WAIT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 3, 2018
Serve food to the elderly. Taught me to be more patient, and made me more comfortable with speaking to older individuals. The management was really good, and they tried helping you if you were lacking. Mostly highschooler so it was a pretty laid back work environment.
Pros
Free Dinner
Cons
Super Fast Paced
General Service (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MDMarch 22, 2019
No management worked your job but they get to tell you how to do it. When we say we need more employees they answer we will look into that next year budget or need to show we need more help. But they still want us to get the job done.
It's hard to move up within your own department. Never had any write ups , call outs and always on time. I apply for jobs that I have done half the work and was told sorry we picked someone else. Someone who never worked at Erickson. HR takes their side when this happens. Your told try again.
Pay is a joke! People are coming making more money then the people who been there over 10 years. We hear we will look into that and get back. 2 years later I am still waiting. I even have more experienced in my job in my department still making less.
I am currently looking for a job with another company. Sad to leave the residents but I can't take the treatment from managers , or told you can't move up, mice/rats, lies and money.
Senior leaders don't want to talk to you. They walk by I say hi they keep walking.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Managers, senior leaders, money, can't move up
terrible management and no work life balance
Sous Chef/Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 17, 2019
They spout their "values system" they (the upper management) do not live it. They do not provide a safe environment for their employees, they do not have any integrity what so ever; they promise the world and deliver more work hours and less help when you need it. They promote a hostile work environment with no work life balance. They residents were amazing folks! the management, they were not to be trusted. they coddle employees to the point that it inhibits the functioning of the kitchen. everyday was like walking on eggshells. The EC would just a soon stab you in the back as help you. He is two faced and talks behind everyones back in a very condesending and demeaning way. He will set you up for failure. Good luck workng here.
Pros
one free meal per shift.
Cons
the management
The culture a non existent
Director (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDMarch 14, 2019
Erickson claims to have a valued based culture and ethics and that is the complete opposite of what they company is. I have never worked with such a political, backstabbing group of people in my career. People will fight to get into a project, not do any work and once successful claim it. Promotion decisions are made by a select group and pre-determined before the job is posted. If that person cannot handle the job, you are told to help them along but that you were not qualified. I have heard senior leaders laugh as they eliminate departments. I have heard senior leaders make fun of people appearance. I have heard them tell people to buy new clothes for a meeting to their preference. This is not a good place to work and these are not good people.
Cons
Senior leaders
A mismanaged, unhappy place to work.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pompton Plains, NJMarch 10, 2019
Erickson is the most mismanaged company I ever worked for. The employees are so run down and unhappy that a culture of stab one in the back before they stab you has developed. Rarely does anyone smile and if they do, its because they've been told to do so.

There is no communication between departments and often within. The residents are caring and considerate but the employees are miserable. Work is often dumped on the department with the weakest manager.

If you are lucky enough to have a family member working there, you are guaranteed a position and if you don't like that one, you can always transfer to another department and another.

But the worst part is all the procedures (phone calls to management) you need to follow when the State comes to inspect the premises.

If you're looking for a happy place to work, try someplace else.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Poor management
Work is ok
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 17, 2019
Work gets really busy at the end of the month, but is a good place to work.I know all my responsibilities so I don't have a manager behind me all the time..
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
On my feet all day long
Awesome residents, okay co workers and terrible management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 9, 2019
The managers have no clue what its like to work on the floor at all. They acted like our jobs were so easy like all we did was hang out all day. They were overly critical and none of them responded well time-wise to suggestions of care for the residents One for example desperately needed a lift and we told management; when i left a month and a half later, people were still breaking their backs trying to just stand the man up to pull up his pants.
Pros
Awesome residents
Cons
management does not care
Do not recommend unless you are into playing political games
Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 2, 2019
Hired with very specific goals and picture of what current situation of department was and direction it was going. Promises of direction company was going have gone nowhere but backwards and executives are rarely seen in continuing care.

Executive team members like to talk about how involved they are in continuing care but will only come over when absolutely necessary (typically only when weekend MOD or when corporate visitors are in town).

Issues brought to HR go nowhere and multiple departments go critically short staffed. Staffing only gets attention when enough employees threaten to leave and then only until they get enough people to quiet things down until the next flare up occurs in a different department.

Sales makes absolutely insane promises about what staff is capable of doing to incoming residents that has very little chance of actually being done.
Cons
Staffing shortages
February 4, 2019

Thank you for this summary of your recent work experience with Erickson Living. In this exceptionally tight labor market, we are hyper-focused on attracting and retaining caring staff who will help us deliver on our commitment to help people live better lives. We know our residents' experience is wholly linked to an engaged workforce who share in our mission. Your comments will be shared with corporate and community leaders for the appropriate follow-up.

Sky is the limit.
Director (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDFebruary 2, 2019
An excellent place to work. I have never before worked for a company that dedicates so much time
and resources into growing its own talent. The sky is the limit if you’re willing to work hard, buy into the values, and be coachable. A very collaborative and healthy environment that encourages folks to step outside of their comfort zone in order to grow personally and professionally. I am a better professional and person because of my time at Erickson Living and within their communities.
February 4, 2019

Thanks for sharing your Erickson Living work experience. You've really captured the intent of our "career for life" vision of investing in our most valuable resource, our people. Ultimately, our residents' are our primary focus and the true beneficiaries of a highly satisfied workforce that offers both professional and personal growth and opportunity.

Erickson Living
Rehab Therapy Technician (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 29, 2019
Great job to work at. I've been there for 11 years not many opportunities to move up . The pay is for a high school senior or college student not really for a person with kids.
It is not your work it is who you know
Director (Current Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJanuary 23, 2019
It is who you know not your work. Do you want a promotion? Be friends with the right people. We have many leaders with no experience in there respective fields. The job requirements should say in lieu of actual experience do you like to go out drinking with co-workers? We spend a lot of much money on meetings and visiting communities when all some want to do is go to happy hour. What does it say about a company that it’s human resource leaders dance on tables during our annual meeting? They set a great example. In terms of work, It is difficult for those who want to do our jobs and not go to happy hour to get work done and promoted. A great deal of thank you s and promises of promotion and are made but all that is overlooked if someone who is well liked and ‘in the club’ wants that job. My department leader has no experience but is well liked so he gets the job that I was told I wasn’t ready for. I have worked her for over 10 years. I find it sad and disheartening that so many people want work and have ideas to move forward but cannot because our leaders don’t know their own jobs.
Cons
Words are meaningless promises are meaninglessness
January 29, 2019

Thank you for your candid feedback in regards to your Erickson Living employment experience. We strive each day to live up to our mission of helping people live better lives, by leaders who exhibit respect, caring, and responsibility in all their employee interactions. Your information will be shared for appropriate follow-up.

Worst job ever
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJanuary 13, 2019
Got paid for doing a lot and never got a break and always was on my feet. Got paid minimum wage and didn’t let me work more than 20 hours a week because I had school.
a typical day there
Server (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIJanuary 9, 2019
A typical day at Erickson Living was overall simple and it was up to you how easy it was, if you did your work it would be easy and if you didn't then it would be a little harder because it would be harder for you to catch up in a small amount of time
Pros
I enjoyed the environment
Cons
It wasn't as close as lifetime is to my house
January 29, 2019

We're glad you had an enjoyable work experience at our Fox Run community in Michigan and thank you for serving our residents. We'd agree-it's up to each of us to make our work days positive and productive It sounds like you figured it out and were successful in this important role.

Great company philosophy on paper, but not in practice
Manager (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDJanuary 4, 2019
Was at Erickson for over 14 years. Upper level management changed and so did the direction of the organization. They speak of "Erickson values" but do not follow them. Top down upper level management and non collaborative environment at least at the higher echelons. Local management of my community was better, but with some notable exceptions who were dismissive, arrogant and supercilious. Sadly, those individuals get promoted. Tendency to be micro managerial and focused largely on the money. The residents for the most part are LOVELY and a real treat to work with. They often expressed to me that they felt unheard despite a "resident advisory council" which in theory represented their interests. As one reads reviews, the HR responses refer back to the community, but the community does not set policy. It is upper level management who does so and imposes their will on those who report to them.
Pros
The residents, a privilege to work with
Cons
poor management
January 7, 2019

Thank you for your 14 years of dedicated service to the wonderful residents we are so honored to care for. They are truly lovely and have rich lives and experiences to share with us. Our community and corporate teams work hard on alignment and collaboration, and will continue to incorporate feedback to further improve an Erickson Living employment experience.

A lot of very nice people work there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDJanuary 2, 2019
Everything is resident based as it should be. Great overall culture for residents. Lots of communication with the staff. Beautiful grounds. Good education opportunities.
Stressful workplace, ruled by insecurity
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 21, 2018
Drama! Drama ! Drama! If you want to get high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke or just plain loose your mind, work here. They act like they want to fire you, right after they hire you.
The managers will threaten you,and they're involved and love gossip.
It's not how well you work , its whether your manager likes you.
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Stressful environment!!
Chaotic job with no benefits
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2018
This job was a very bad experience that left me feeling uneasy about my next job. Callouts were a common thing and we were so understaffed at one point that they had to hire temporary workers.
Pros
Made some friends while working here, flexible schedule
Cons
Very stressful, minimum wage pay with no tips
December 27, 2018

We're disappointed that your work experience didn't meet the high standards we set for ourselves. Our community leaders strive to create environments where our employees come to work each day feeling valued and being able to give their very best to care for our residents. Your feedback will be shared with the team at this community.

Horrible work enviroment
General Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2018
This place will overwork you with very little pay and write you up about everything. Can't trust your managers, most coworkers, and especially HR. No help or guidance, just throw you out there and let you figure it out. High turnover! Will have you doing multiple jobs and maybe get a raise of $.40 cents. Managers will keep the people that don't work and get rid of the ones that work hard. Never heard anything positive or encouraging from managers or most coworkers in the 4 yrs I was there, you have to be a suck up for them to like you or to advance in that company. Awful work environment, always on pins and needles wondering if someone lied about you resulting in a written up. Residents are always right even when they're racist, screaming in your face, or lying. Erickson Living condone racism and bullying but don't dare say that to management or HR, they will find a way to get rid of you.
Pros
PTO hours
December 27, 2018

Your candor is appreciated, while the overall commentary is disappointing. Our Erickson Living values are rooted in respect and caring, and that surely includes creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees and residents are deeply valued for their individual differences. In your long tenure, for which we are grateful, it's hoped you reached out to our Erickson Living Care Line, a confidential employee hotline for sharing concerns. Your feedback will be provided to the leaders at this community for follow-up.

its a good job but the commute is hard
Utility Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 14, 2018
work here is good you have lot of work to get done the people here are very friendly i enjoy work here but the commute is hard the enveroment is safe the hardest part of my job is not enough time in a day to get it all done
Cons
Very great place to work!!!
Certified Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Pompton Plains, NJDecember 13, 2018
I loved working at cedar crest was one of the best jobs a had just wish they would compensate more but over all very great place would go back in a heartbeat!!
December 17, 2018

Great to hear that your work experience at our Cedar Crest community was such a positive one. Our Home Health business is a key aspect of our service offerings and one our residents truly appreciate. We'd love to have you back!

Shít place to work for
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MADecember 7, 2018
Horrible place to work for. They tolerate racism, sexual harresment and bulling. The raises are an insult for all the work that you do. Residents are always right even when screaming in your face or running into you with a walker(on purpose). The medical center is treated as an emergency room ONLY on snow days. Don’t you dare be a minute late because it’s a write up, oh wait everything is a write up! Let’s talk about the parking! Don’t forget that green sticker, they stalk you at the gate for that sticker. And Be sure to park in the T spots or security will harass you, they don’t care that the snow is a foot and you have to walk across campus to your building. Almost all departments require you to do more than one job for little pay. STAY AWAY FROM ERICKSON LIVING!
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Every fthing!
December 17, 2018

It's disappointing to learn that your current work experience is not living up to the high ideals and standards we set across all our Erickson Living communities. Our values of respect and caring are at the forefront in both our residents' and employee interactions and we work everyday to make sure we strive to those ideals. An Erickson Care Line resource is available to all employees to share specific concerns and your comments will be referred for follow-up as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Erickson Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight