Erie 1 BOCES Employee Reviews

No job Security
Instructor (Former Employee) –  EDGE Program/ Alternative EdApril 26, 2019
Worked as an instructor for 13 years. Was let go because of declining enrollment. They started a new program which was the same as we had done before but called it a different name. Instead of calling the layoff teachers back, they made sure you had to have a certain extension added to your certification so they didn't have to call you back but rather hire cheaper teachers. They could care less about you. The union is spineless in letting this happen. It is the same job!
Pros
Cons
Could care less about you.
FYI Verbally abusive manager in graphics dept.
Graphic Artist Temp (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYApril 14, 2019
In all of the jobs I've had, the manager in graphics at Boces was the most demeaning and verbally abusive person I've come across. They lack leadership and mentoring abilities, empathy, and never progressed their skills and design styles past 1990's, with huge drop shadows. This person becomes verbally abusive if you do anything in front of them that surpasses their knowledge, such as using an Adobe shortcut key. They bad mouthed teachers/clients and other professions constantly. I was continually belittled, berated, and micromanaged by them. When I asked them to stop demeaning me, their response was "That's just who I am", and refused to apologize.

I had coworkers, from other departments, telling me they stay far away from the department simply because they can't stand dealing with that manager. I am baffled as to why the board would keep such an abusive person on their staff.
Pros
Coworkers and people in other departments were nice.
Cons
Verbally abusive and micromanaging boss, low pay.
clean the work place
Substitute Laborer - Part Time (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYApril 8, 2019
I loved it but need a full time job.my job was great the people I worked with or for were exceptional. the pay was ok, everyone wants more money, but the state benefits and a retirement are excelent
Eh
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYApril 1, 2019
I was offered the job one week before summer program began and was put in a grade level that was not at my expertise. I was given no help, barely any materials, and had no idea of the structure of the program. Students were placed in my care with little-to-no information on them. IEPs did not come for weeks. Safety was a big issue.
Pros
Flexible to do what you want
Cons
No structure
It was good
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 21, 2019
This company was very nice to work for and it taught you a lot. You have to have a lot of patience and you have to be super kind to the kids because they look up to you
Overall good place to work
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYDecember 26, 2018
Erie 1 Boces offers great benefits. The salary starts lower than most school districts, but the health insurance and other benefits are the best I have ever had. The hardest part of the job is finding time to keep in contact with parents and other service providers the students work with.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low salary
Rewarding and busy
Personal Aide (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYNovember 25, 2018
Everyday with the kids is different. They are learning something new and you never know what you are going to get each day. Helping them through their subjects and talking with these kids is very rewarding.
Pros
hours are convenient
Cons
1 15 minute break
Per diem instructor positions
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYJanuary 10, 2018
If you don't need benefits but you like having flexibility this is a great position to take. Teaching in the classroom is relaxed and you can be creative about how you present the material. Management, though, is generally composed of people who are related to each other and don't have any experience in the area they are in charge of. The instructors know much more and have real world experience.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits and sporadic, low raises
excellent work place
Application Support Representative (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYAugust 9, 2017
Very welcoming group of employee to work with. Your knowledge will grow and the work environment is open to new fresh ideals. Training classes are provides to anyone willing to enhance their skills.
Uhhhg
Janitor (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYAugust 7, 2017
This place is a mess. Awful work place culture with more unwritten rules than I've ever seen. terrible management with you often not know who your actual boss is, leading to office power struggles over who decides on what who does. decent pay and great benefits.
Great stable job with great benefits
Application Support Representative (Current Employee) –  West Seneca, NYJuly 31, 2017
Great stable job with excellent benefits that has great hours and knowledgeable staff members. Provides a variety of jobs for all skill sets. Uses civil service jobs.
Productive and fun workplace
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 4, 2017
ERIE 1 BOCES is a great atmosphere and taught me several important things about working in education. The staff is friendly and welcoming, and it has always been a pleasure to come back and work again for the summer program.
Good place to work for.
Building Maintenance Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYNovember 9, 2016
Maintenance is not typical it changes minute by minute. the management is awesome and team type of environment. the most enjoyable was meeting different people working in an adult workforce environment.
Pros
not typical days. Heathcare
Cons
getting swear at by students
Civil Service position
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Harlem Rd. West Seneca, NY 14224August 6, 2016
Worked in Adult Education as the Senior Clerk Typist to the Supervisor. Enjoyed working with my co workers. Took care of the textbooks for the classes. Help set up for Nursing program testing. Also did the filing for my department and the correspondence. Proof read the catalog before it was sent to printer.
Pros
Vactions
Cons
not any
Erie 1 boces
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYJuly 2, 2016
I had working gor ERIE 1 BOCES from 1985-1999 which was a very rewarding experience helping students achieve success within the alternative program. A typical day at work was to teach an English curriculum, but with the latest computer technology which was an advantage over home schools at that time. Other teachers within the alternative program became very interested in my successful approach to the subject and I taught numerous teachers how to use the technology, not for their advantage, but for the success of the students. Of course the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the growth and enthusiasm students displayed each day and welcome more learning and meeting new challenges with great success. The hardest part of job was at the end of the school year when students would finish the program and move onto other challenges in life. We had an excellent success rate within the program for all students to meet all state mandates and graduate with high honors.
Pros
the continued success once the student became acclimated to the program
Cons
a student had a defeatist attitude and not give the program a chance to help them
Great opportunities
Erie 1 BOCES Teacher Aide Subbing (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 17, 2016
In addition to being a classroom aide at summer school, I was also a teacher aide substitute several times. I was placed in Special Education classrooms, mostly with autistic students who were nonverbal. My typical daily duties included working one on one with students to insure IEP goals were being met and assisting in activities and instruction. I learned that each student is different and it is important to adapt and modify instruction to best meet their needs. My co-workers included a classroom teacher and several personal aides. The most difficult part of the job was classroom management, since many of the students had behavioral issues. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I helped make a difference in these students' lives.
Great opportunities
Classroom Aide (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 17, 2016
Working for Erie 1 Boces has provided me with many positive opportunities. I have been a teacher aide substitute as well as a classroom aide at a summer school. While working at summer school, I was in a classroom with students with severe disabilities. A typical day at work involved assisting my students in gym class and the swimming pool, insuring that IEP goals were being met, working one on one with students in content areas such as math and reading, etc. I learned how to incorporate differentiated instruction into my teaching as well as the importance of teamwork and collaboration with co-workers. My co-workers included a classroom teacher as well as three personal aides for students in my class. The most difficult part of the job was finding out which strategies worked best for each student, since each child was unique in their abilities and learning needs. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know each student and help them improve in their areas of need.
I love working with kids
Special Education, Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYOctober 12, 2015
I loved the people I worked with as well as the children. I had great benefits and had weekends, holidays and summers off.
Pros
Cons
I was laid off.
Great Place to Work
Microcomputer Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYOctober 8, 2015
One of the best places I have ever worked. Great team environment and everybody is willing to help everybody else. Also great advancement opportunities and training is ongoing.
Job is personally rewarding though not financially
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  West Seneca, NYAugust 9, 2015
I would typically come into a class not knowing what to expect and administer the teachers lesson plans through the day, adapting them to my teaching style and the students needs. I learned a lot at this job but the work was uneven and I needed to move on to somewhere more financially stable.