Erie Homes for Children and Adults (EHCA) Employee Reviews

Education is not valued
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 4, 2019
The direct care workers tell the nurses what to do. And if they don’t get along with you, it’s the nurse that looses her job. There was a lot of gossip and back stabbing.
Pros
Good pay. 3 twelve hour days
Cons
Not valued as a nurse
No diversity in upper management positions
Residential Aid/Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 8, 2019
It would be an excellent place to work but there is no room to grow if you are a minority. Yes, there is PLENTY of Minorities in the direct care aspect of the company but HARDLY any in the upper management positions. You are constantly looked over for jobs even when you’re qualified. Yes, the company is growing but continue to struggle with turn over. Unfortunately until this company comes to realization that it’s too “top-heavy” with management AND become more diverse they are going to ALWAYS struggle with turn over. But in all actuality, it’s an alright place to work.
Pros
Health care and paid time off
Cons
No room for growth and not diverse enough
Fulfilling place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Meadville, PAMay 7, 2019
The only job i have ever had that I can't wait to get to work. It is a fulfilling job knowing that you really do make a difference in others lives. Not only do you help to mold and change the lives of others, they certainly change yours!
Pros
Supportive work environment.
Cons
A good cost of living raise would be appreciated.
Rewarding job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 24, 2019
I absolutely love the individuals that I serve at EHCA. They truly are family and working there has taught me a lot about life, although advancement was an issue for me.
Pros
Insurance benefits, paid time off, sick time & holiday time.
Cons
If management doesnt care for you, you will never advance.
Options
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 7, 2019
I worked for options and most of the ps dont answer their phones. Most of the ps are their for a pay check. They need to be more involved with the clients. I had 2 different ps tell me they where going to meet up with me and my client 4 different times and they never showed. I recommend if you work for erie homes work in the group home not the options they have their stuff together
Fun place to work
Direct Support Professional, Options Program (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 20, 2019
Fun place to work, nice clients to deal with, opportunity to work with different people and co-workers, flexible hours and activities to experience with clients
Poor
Community Home Cordinator ( House Manager) (Former Employee) –  Titusville, PADecember 6, 2018
It was a great position at first. Then came the other stuff. They couldn’t staff the houses so the chc has to cover a lot of hours. Then they lose the stuff you turn in or don’t turn it in on time. They expect to much from the chc with little time to do it. Not worth the stress it caused. Not to mention the endless phone calls to come in and do things when you aren’t even around/scheduled. They say the individual has rights of their own but clearly they don’t care what that individual wants especially if they are non verbal and can’t use words to say how they feel. The goals for individuals are ridiculous and basically busy work for the staff.
Poor
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 8, 2018
Overall EHCA is a good field of work however, I do not recommend them as an employer. Hard work was not recognized, Supervisors were unprofessional, little to no communication (staff to staff and staff to supervisor), there was NO teamwork at all. The benefits were good, the pay was decent the clients were amazing. despite the benefits, the overall atmosphere of EHCA is stressful, it was every man for themselves.
Pros
benefits, clients, pay
Cons
lack of teamwork, no communication in general, favoritism, no recognition for hardwork
Poorly kept
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 28, 2018
The way this company is ran is unbelievable. They don't keep their word to anyone unless you are brown-nosing and doing exactly what they want you to do so they can get the pat on the back for it.
Ehca
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Titusville, PAAugust 14, 2018
I loved this job and found my newfound love for special needs working here. Yes, it's a stressful and fast pace job but it's incredibly rewarding and I would probably retire there if I hadn't of gotten married and moved. I loved most the people I worked with and adored the clients I cared for. I enjoyed helping them and teaching them.
Pros
friendships, pay, no uniforms, laid back, fun, rewarding
Cons
no lunch, long hours, short staffed
great place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAAugust 7, 2018
everyday you work with people with disabilities to live more fulfilling lives. I love going to work and seeing all of my residents, they bring so much joy to me and make my job feel so beneficial.
Options program can be a fun place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJuly 2, 2018
Working directly with clients out in the community can be a lot of fun, when staff and individuals are a good match. I enjoyed working with many individuals and staff at the Options program. It’s also rewarding to make a difference in the individuals’ lives, as well as their families’ lives.
Cons
No breaks if you’re not a smoker as you are always with an individual
Nice place if you love your job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 25, 2018
Go to work n do wat have to do. Don’t try to make friends cause they jealous. And will try to get you fired and take your position and it’ll be your word over theirs
Pros
Free food
Cons
No cameras
Working in a group home setting
Direct Support Proffesional (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJune 19, 2018
Atypical day at work consisted of taking care of mental health and mental retardation clients in a group home setting.I learned how to be very patient when assisting individuals with activities of daily living.The management team seemed to be very efficient.The workplace had alot of culture.The hardest part of my job was dealing with alot of favoritism.The most enjoyable part of my job was the individuals you take care of.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Severely Understaffed
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 24, 2018
Being a very understaffed agency is very difficult trying to addiquitly staff shifts for 24/7 group homes. A lot of current staff are working around the clock and so many of them are appering to be burned out. It's not uncommon for a group home to have 5-8 position vacancies. Begging staff to pick up extra hours on top of the overtime they already have that week is a common thing now. Hopefully staffing will improve in the future, the residents deserve better than this.
Pros
The residents are wonderful, pto is good, okay benefits.
Cons
Understaffed
Mixed review
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 23, 2018
The health benefits, 401 K and paid time off are good. Raises are not predictable. Often understaffed. Striving to be a best place to work for the employees.
Pros
Flexible schedule, benefit time
Cons
Unpredictable raises, lack of advancement opportunity
fast paced
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 12, 2018
your average day is very fast paced due to the responsibilities of taking care of the clients. its not all hard work there are always time to take the clients places that they enjoy.
Pros
good clients
Cons
not a lot of breaks and very short when you do get them
Rewarding
Independent Contractor for the ARC of Pennsylvania (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 22, 2018
If your character is to help others with their daily skills, don't mind showering adults and dressing them, feeding them. This is a career for you. Nothing like being a parent to other people's children.
Pros
The clients
Cons
The clients
Wonderful
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 19, 2018
Working for this company is wonderful and fun. There is a lot of teamwork. The Insurance is very good and when I was there they took very little out of your check. They vest in you the day after training.
Pros
lots of great things
Cons
advancement is tough
Not a good place to work at. I dread coming in to work every day.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 18, 2018
Love the residents but staff are lazy, upper management sucks. Supervisors are unfair, judgemental and not helpful. Upper management decides which staff gets promoted based on which higher ups they are friends with. if a resident is in behavior you get no help from your supervisors and are left to fend for yourself. Most houses are short staffed and staff have to work 16+ hour shifts especially when there are call offs.
Pros
Cons
Over worked, Unprofessional supervisors, minimal raises, low pay, lazy staff, lack of communication, long hours, no team work