Erlanger Health System Employee Reviews

Good training for new graduates.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 17, 2018
Started off as a registered nurse, at this level one trauma center teaching hospital, and was able to get a variety of experience in a short period of time
Tough Place to Work
Chef Station (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 11, 2018
This is a very stressful environment. Too many people that can't get along. Kitchen staff tries very hard, but sometimes they are lazy and don't want to come to work.
Very busy and very fast paced
Front Desk Receptionist/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 5, 2018
It was a very draining and hard place to work. There was not much help and a lot for one person to handle alone. They are constantly onto you about getting overtime, even though there is no way to finish the work load in one shift.
Pros
off on holidays
Cons
short breaks, long shifts
Teaching hospital
Staff/Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 31, 2018
Learning the latest procedures, using technology. Great environment for teaching and learning. Opportunities for growth in your career. Takes indigent patients.
Pros
Baylor plan worked weekends considered full time
Cons
High stress
Okay
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 29, 2018
Med pass, glucose checks, working with other nurses(RNs follow and check on LPNs per guidelines). 7-9 PTs a day per nurse. It was a bit of a hard place to work, the floor was very unorganized.
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
work environment, not enough help
Learning experience
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Emergency,Urgent Care,Surgical Ambulatory CareOctober 28, 2018
Learned so much at this hospital,made many lifelong friends.I had learning experiences here that I feel were invaluable.I felt supported by management whenever I wanted to continue my education in any way
Pros
Teaching hospital
Cons
Turnover
Minimal dedication toward developing the program
Staff Perfusionist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 28, 2018
I am sure much has changed in 30 years. The field of Cardiac surgery was more of an offered service as opposed to a dedicated program. I was more motivated to be involved in a cutting edge experience. 2 Surgeons in town persuaded me to move to a crosstown hospital as opposed to leaving town. A great decision was made.
Pros
It was a decent job at that point in my career
Cons
Limited interest from administration at that time
Cool place to work
Patient Access Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 17, 2018
ERLANGER has improved alot over the years and seems to be headed in the right direction in the healthcare industry and in the community. The new CEO is very knowledgeable.
Chronically and, at times, dangerously understaffed. Poor Management.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 9, 2018
Usually started the day off finding out that we were at least 2 nurses short and no techs or CNA's on the floor. As a NEW nurse just off orientation you could have upwards of 8 patients to care for. Some or all of them would be total care and, at times, no CNA's to help you out.
Team work was non-existent between the seasoned (albeit young) nurses and new grads. Most of the nurses formed clicks and weren't very helpful to anyone outside of that click.
Management was a joke. They were unable to keep anyone in the management positions for more than a few months. They were completely unsympathetic to issues brought to their attention.
Pay was on the low side of low. Incentive pay was awesome when offered. Difficult to acquire time off even if requested in advance.
Lucky to get a break within a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short or no breaks, Managemant was lousy, staffing was dangerously low.
Working with patient's can be rewarding. Management not so much!!
Rn Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 6, 2018
High volume of turnover in Case Management. Short orientation period then you are on your own. Management is not sympathetic to obstacles that are faced on a daily basis and can be very condescending. Promotions are based on friendships not qualifications and are often not posted on the job board. More and more responsibilites added to case management. Rarely home on time.
Pros
frequent vendor inservices with lunch provided
Cons
Expected to stay past work hours, no chance for advancement
Stable job with good benefits
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 26, 2018
I worked with scheduling for 10 different physicians so at time it could be a bit overwhelming, especially for the pay. However, the benefits were nice and it is important that I have health insurance. Lovely co-workers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Productive and technical and also occasionally fun place to work.
Integrations Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 21, 2018
Review issue or new request related tickets, call requester to gather more information and discuss requirements and deliverables. Research, design, develop report's partial or entire section. Attend meetings if any.
Erlanger should be more compassionate towards their employees.
Certified Pharmacy Technician & Liaison (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 18, 2018
Typical day at work is ensuring the patients are taken care of. Learned to deal with various personalities. Hardest part of the job is not having direction and training to do your job.
I had a Great Manager at the time I was employed.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 16, 2018
I accepted a position in Environmental Services when I was hired. There was not sufficient training per say for my actual job that I was hired to do. Yes, there was general orientation which I participated in. Once I was put in my department, it was a rat race. I feel like we were really pushed to our limits everyday. We had to hurry...hurry to get our patient rooms, waiting areas, nursing stations, trauma room, and nursery done. And I took pride in my job so I wanted to clean the appropriate way according to Hospital standards and practices. But everyday while trying to get my job done in a timely manner and to avoid overtime, it never failed that I would get beeped to leave my floor and go clean other rooms. That was stressful because I still had to go back and finish my rooms while pushing myself to avoid overtime. And what was disappointing was I was only making $8.00/hour. And EVS is a hard job. On a positive note, I enjoyed working with my Manager and co-workers. And when I did hurt my back at work, Erlanger went above and beyond to make sure that I got the medical care and physical therapy required.
Pros
I had a Great Manager
Cons
Heavy workload, not enough help, and the pay was barely enough to survive.
Great Job
PRN Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 11, 2018
Erlanger Health System is a great place to work. The mission statement speaks directly to the work of a chaplain: "We Compassionately Care for People."

A typical day at work provides opportunities for ministry throughout the hospital.

I learned the art of being present with patients and families through their darkest moments.

The workplace culture is Awesome!
Best hosital in the area
RN, Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 7, 2018
This position has allowed me the experience of a true inner city hospital. I have been a part of life changing reality daily. There are so many opportunities for advancement.
its a job
SORT, Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 4, 2018
its a job, i go there, work my shift and leave.
the people are mostly okay, i like the weekends best when there is not as many people there.
you get what you put in
Good learning environment.
RN (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 28, 2018
Enjoyed my time there. Was able to learn a lot from co-workers and management. Hours not very flexible and nurse patient ratio is not conducive for appropriate care.
NP Role could use some improvement
Nurse practitioner (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga TennesseeAugust 25, 2018
I am speaking only for the inpatient role. I agree with others who say that the role Is not valued by the establishment. For the most part, inpatient practitioners are barely more than scribes, not practicing to their full scope. While I do feel loved and appreciated by my supervising physicians and my direct manager, the upper management and physician leadership is a whole different story . The practitioners used to have access to the physicians lounge, this is no longer available. I can only assume it is because being in the company of mid-level providers makes it difficult for them to enjoy their meal. We were stripped of designated parking privileges without notice and then punished for parking in the garage. The very modest extra pay for overtime was stopped, yet we are pressured to work extra days when they have a staffing shortage for no extra money. I could go on and on.
The facility is extremely busy, nearly unmanageable for the amount of staff. The salary is very low for the area, at least for the inpatient practitioners. There is no bonus structure, no holiday pay, no overtime for extra days worked.
Pros
Decent benefits package
Cons
Absolutely no appreciation of advanced practice providers by management and physician leadership
Great place to learn, but hard place to work
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 9, 2018
Some areas of the hospital are well staffed, others are not. Nursing is, of course, stressful, but there is a great system in place to attempt to give adequate staffing. In my department, concern about holding down costs leads to unreasonable workloads frequently and forces staff to make decisions which lead to either omitted care or poorly administered care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Erlanger Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight