Erlanger Health System Employee Reviews

Great base to start from, but slightly dysfunctional
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 10, 2019
All 'families' have dysfunction. Erlanger gave me the out that I needed to get from retail work to hospital. I was trained to do my new work and shown new skills such as IV compounding.

The most challenging part of this was trying to learn other skills to benefit the workplace overall. I was taught my core job, but any interest I showed in other duties, such as ordering/charge reconciliation, was swept away. If you want to learn more than one trick, you WILL need to push.
Pros
Steady working hours, good pay, new skills
Cons
dysfunctional management, 'one trick pony' kind of mentality
CRITICAL CARE RN (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 14, 2019
Many specialty training and working opportunities. Always plenty of support available. Flexibility with rotating to other units, learning new skills. Patient care focused with a multi-discipline team on board. I enjoyed my work experience at Erlanger. However, being an ICU nurse, I did eventually experience burnout and sought a different nursing career.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Short staffing
Bad Management
Patient Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 29, 2018
They will fire you for ANYTHING. If you have an issue with any of the employees that been working there for a while, you can't even go to management about it to fix it because they feel that nobody ever has had a problem with them and then turn around and fire you. It's a HORRIBLE place to work!!! Then the employees that have been there be on their phone all day and doesn't do anything, but want you to do their work. That place is nothing but drama and stress!
Pros
Loved working with my co-workers, but did not feel that there was room to grow.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Tech II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 12, 2019
Outstanding patient care. Great surgeons. Great benefits and nice people to work with. However, I missed doing close patient care and really getting to know our patients and take care of them as I did in family medicine.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not much chance for promation
Minimal dedication toward developing the program
Staff Perfusionist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 28, 2018
I am sure much has changed in 30 years. The field of Cardiac surgery was more of an offered service as opposed to a dedicated program. I was more motivated to be involved in a cutting edge experience. 2 Surgeons in town persuaded me to move to a crosstown hospital as opposed to leaving town. A great decision was made.
Pros
It was a decent job at that point in my career
Cons
Limited interest from administration at that time
Very busy and very fast paced
Front Desk Receptionist/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 5, 2018
It was a very draining and hard place to work. There was not much help and a lot for one person to handle alone. They are constantly onto you about getting overtime, even though there is no way to finish the work load in one shift.
Pros
off on holidays
Cons
short breaks, long shifts
Understaffed
Sitter/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 9, 2018
Its hard to receive time off unless two weeks in advance even if its a doctors appointment. There is always going to be pros and cons with working anywhere, but you can decide for yourself. This was mine and a couple other employees experience. The pay is not worth the stress.
PRN Tech who has had a positive experience
STAFF RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 7, 2019
great opportunity for PRN tech that needs flexible hours and has been offered hours at multiple Erlanger sites with the same pay and a positive working environment .
Pros
flexibility
Cons
needed equipment updates
Great Job
PRN Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 11, 2018
Erlanger Health System is a great place to work. The mission statement speaks directly to the work of a chaplain: "We Compassionately Care for People."

A typical day at work provides opportunities for ministry throughout the hospital.

I learned the art of being present with patients and families through their darkest moments.

The workplace culture is Awesome!
Chronically and, at times, dangerously understaffed. Poor Management.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 9, 2018
Usually started the day off finding out that we were at least 2 nurses short and no techs or CNA's on the floor. As a NEW nurse just off orientation you could have upwards of 8 patients to care for. Some or all of them would be total care and, at times, no CNA's to help you out.
Team work was non-existent between the seasoned (albeit young) nurses and new grads. Most of the nurses formed clicks and weren't very helpful to anyone outside of that click.
Management was a joke. They were unable to keep anyone in the management positions for more than a few months. They were completely unsympathetic to issues brought to their attention.
Pay was on the low side of low. Incentive pay was awesome when offered. Difficult to acquire time off even if requested in advance.
Lucky to get a break within a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short or no breaks, Managemant was lousy, staffing was dangerously low.
My best job ever.
Volunteer/Hospitality Services Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 18, 2019
I enjoyed the summers working at Erlanger Health System. The skills I learned there, I still use them in my daily life. I gained alot working through their junior volunteer program.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a
Great place to learn, but hard place to work
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 9, 2018
Some areas of the hospital are well staffed, others are not. Nursing is, of course, stressful, but there is a great system in place to attempt to give adequate staffing. In my department, concern about holding down costs leads to unreasonable workloads frequently and forces staff to make decisions which lead to either omitted care or poorly administered care.
Rewarding
Ed patient Navigator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN 37403November 18, 2018
Erlanger could be a much better place to work but for the management. I really enjoyed helping our patients & their families. Sometimes the volume of people I was responsible for was very overwhelming.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Bad management
Learning experience
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Emergency,Urgent Care,Surgical Ambulatory CareOctober 28, 2018
Learned so much at this hospital,made many lifelong friends.I had learning experiences here that I feel were invaluable.I felt supported by management whenever I wanted to continue my education in any way
Pros
Teaching hospital
Cons
Turnover
Productive and technical and also occasionally fun place to work.
Integrations Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 21, 2018
Review issue or new request related tickets, call requester to gather more information and discuss requirements and deliverables. Research, design, develop report's partial or entire section. Attend meetings if any.
Stable job with good benefits
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 26, 2018
I worked with scheduling for 10 different physicians so at time it could be a bit overwhelming, especially for the pay. However, the benefits were nice and it is important that I have health insurance. Lovely co-workers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Teaching hospital
Staff/Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 31, 2018
Learning the latest procedures, using technology. Great environment for teaching and learning. Opportunities for growth in your career. Takes indigent patients.
Pros
Baylor plan worked weekends considered full time
Cons
High stress
Productive place to work, very busy
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 17, 2018
Work days are mostly busy, some days are steady
Employees work together, good teamwork
I have learned it is hard to loose someone
I have learned is great to take care of someone and get them back to health. to see them go home.
Try to keep the workplace clean
I have not seen any racism
Hardest part of job- moving heavy equipment, beds , lifting heavy patients.
Hardest part of job not getting to sit down during whole shift
Most enjoyable part of job nursing patients back to health
Pros
Getting a lucnh break, love having teamwork
Cons
very short lunch breaks, having no teamwork
Overall great place to gain experience
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 28, 2019
Large cooperation so there is an opportunity to build several meaningful relationships. Parking for employees is horrible. Opportunities to grow in your field.
Great
Dialysis acute care staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 16, 2019
Great place for career enhancement. Encouraging of further education and growth opportunities. My first job as a nurse made a great impression with me, in training and career path.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Erlanger Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight