Play YouTube video button

Ernst Concrete Employee Reviews

Featured review
Ernst Concrete selected this as a representative review
Love Ernst!!
Payroll/ HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 24, 2018
I left my job of 12 years to come to Ernst and everyday I am so glad I made the change. It makes a huge difference when you love your job and the company you work for. It's not too often people who have 20-30+ years of service and can still rave and speak so highly of the owners and company they work for. I have heard so many people here- from all different positions & backgrounds- rave about what a great company Ernst is and it speaks volumes to me that after all their years of service they still love Ernst and are loyal to the Ernst family. Ernst is a very generous company, and they genuinely care about their employees and customers. They expect you to work hard and to do your best everyday. Benefits, 401k, and profit sharing are excellent here.

It doesn't get any better than John Ernst & the Ernst family!!!!
Great company to work for
Ready Mix Driver (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 23, 2019
I drive a ready mixer and I love it. It's a pretty easy job with lots of hours. I've worked with Ernst for 3 plus years and I find this company treats it's employees better than any company I've worked for. Benefits of working for Ernst is competitive pay benefits paid time off 401k and profit sharing. I really appreciate the family like environment. I knew Ernst was the company for me in the first couple of moths working there when David Ernst came to our plant on a very busy day jumped in a ready mixer and slung mud with the rest of us
Pros
Competitive pay benefits paid time off family like environment
Cons
Balancing life and work can be rough at times
I enjoy working for Ernst
Mixer Driver (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJanuary 23, 2019
Working for Ernst is great job for me. I drive a cement mixer. A typically at Ernst would be to clock in by 7am and clock out at 5pm and during that time i would haul about 4-5 loads. Although i have learned that every day is different based on how many orders we have going out that day. some days you will be expected to come in much earlier than 7 and some days you will stay later than 5. On the other hand there will be some days that there is very little concrete to pour and you could come in at 12 and leave by three. During the summer I averaged 50-55 hrs a week, in the winter its closer to 35-40. One thing i really enjoy about Ernst is my sole responsibility is to drive and keep my mixer clean. So on slow days you don't have to worry about the plant manager trying to find random work for us to do. Although there is also a lot of days were its back and forth from the plant. You get loaded, you leave, you come back and immediately get loaded again. Some days can be very relaxing and some days can be very fast paced....in the end its a nice balance between the two. Hardest part of the job is difficult places to pour concrete. This cannot be blamed on ernst but rather the company who has ordered the concrete. The mixers are big and heavy and some job sites just don't seem suited for a large mixer. In this case you can always consult with fellow mixer drivers or the dispatch team for guidance so there is nothing to worry about. The management is good in my opinion and my coworkers are good as well.
Pros
Relaxing
Cons
Don't know schedule till night before
Great place to work if you actually want to work
Yardman (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAJanuary 23, 2019
Great place to work, the people I work with are more like family than co-workers. Typically great paychecks, I have amazing benefits, and I have grow to love working for Ernst and working with/along side the Ernst family. I can take pride in the place I work and don’t mind working hard because the Ernst family doesn’t mind getting there hands dirty along side any of the employees. Overall amazing work place if you don’t mind working hard instead of hardly working, out of the time iv been here there hasn’t been any sort of lack of hours, some may say to many hours but iv never heard anyone working here complain about to much money.
I would highly recommend working at Ernst Concrete!!!
Pros
Plenty of hours, and amazing benefits
Cons
Stressful at times due to crazy hours
Great Place to Work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 3, 2019
This is a great company to work for. The benefits are good. The management is good. The work environment is friendly and supportive to each other. I would recommend them to my friends.
typical week
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 3, 2019
Ernst bought the company I worked for in 2001 .that has been the best thing that could ever happened to me and my wife . they provide you with all the proper tools to do your job . they also put the monies back in the company with new trucks plants and pumps.
Pros
the people
Cons
For a concrete company Ernst is one of the better companys to work for
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Crestwood, KYJanuary 3, 2019
Great place to work for the money being paid for the job being done. Drivers usually get plenty of hours and should average between $45000 to $60000 a year easily.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Work most weekends and no lunch break
Family oriented, fast paced and rewarding.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 2, 2019
If your going to drive a concrete mixer this is the only place to do it. The construction industry as a whole this is one of the best companies to work for.
Pros
Top pay for the industry. Competitive benefits package.
Cons
Weather related schedules.
No time to do anything for you & your family
Driver (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHNovember 15, 2018
You will not have lunch brakes or any brakes from the time you punch in untill you punch out,. They don't follow DOT ruels & regulations . If you get hurt your screw. Management & Dispatch doesn't care about uiur person life it's all about making them look good and not you!!!
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
You will not have time for your family
Ernst concrete
Tanker Driver (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GANovember 14, 2018
Ernst concrete was a good place to work. Except rainy or cold temps. Tanker drivers were paid unreasonably lower wages than everyone else. No room for advancement within the company. My typical day started with pre-trip of tractor and trailer, runs to different loading plants,load trailer return back to one of ernst plants blow off load of (cement or c-ash from georgia power plants). I would use the truck blower to blow off product into silos. Hardest part of job-low wages and low hours.Also working with not so safe driving equipment and to many bandaids. Working with a few of other employees that are team players was very enjoyable.
November 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. We are glad you enjoy working with Ernst Concrete. We take all concerns seriously and strive everyday to make Ernst Concrete a better place to work. We appreciate all of our employees who put in the hard work and hours and make Ernst one of the best in concrete. Thanks again for your feedback!

Owners mean well management lacks concern ,honesty, consistency
Mixer Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 25, 2018
Pay and benefits are good. Owners not greedy at all .If management would change ,re -train, step aside, start caring or take some classes, it would go a long way in making Ernst a great place to work.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Trucks get half repaired . Management talks trash about drivers
November 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on Ernst Concrete. Without your feedback we could never get better and continue to grow as we are. As far as addressing your comment on the trucks getting half repaired, we have recently hired a Fleet Manager and a couple new mechanics to make sure we provide the best service possible to both our employees and customers. Thanks again for your feedback.

Demanding industry
Mixer driver (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHAugust 15, 2018
After 21 years I can honestly say hiring into Ernst Concrete as a mixer driver was the best career choice I could have made. The industry is very demanding and life sacrifices will be made but you’ll find everyone making the same sacrifices from the top seat to the bottom. The industry requires long seasonal hours minimal breaks and a competitive environment. It’s stressful, dirty, demanding work but I found a peace and self satisfaction of a job well done. The company has the best equipment pay and benefits of any ready mix company that I saw come and go in the past 21 years. Do they demand a lot from an employee? Sure, but they’re just trying to remain competitive in a cut throat industry and don’t mind sharing the profits with employees in one form or another. If your hardworking honest cooperative diplomatic and flexible mentally physically and emotionally this is the job and company for you. There are opportunities for advancement into multi level management positions. Thank you Ernst for the memories.
Pros
Pay benefits equipment advancement
Cons
Demanding industry
ernst concrete is like a big family
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, GAJuly 13, 2018
I loved working here they really show there employees how much they care for them and appreciate them. This is a great place to work for especially if you live in the area or don't mind to travel and have your cdl
All in all great place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 8, 2018
So I've been at the company for a 1yr. Managment does have a bad habit of micromanaging but all in all their good people who listen and actually care. I'm an entry level mechanic that has received a bunch of training from my shop. I love my job and the people the only change I would suggest is train the drivers how to clean there 250k dollar billboards. All the Ernst family is great mark the Vp treats us all as a valued asset
Pros
Cons
No ac in the garage
Great pay terrible hours
Title- Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAFebruary 28, 2018
I like the work just not the way your schedule works. I really love to make customers happy. I am very detailed oriented and this job is great for that.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
Horrible Job Culture
Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 27, 2018
They are all about the money even if it means a horrible work environment. Top few people in the company treat the rest horribly! Pay is not as good as it should be for what you have to deal with. Protect your family life and pass this one by and move on to the next. Sad because it used to be a great company to work for.
Pros
They have a lot of nice equipment but the job culture is DECLINING...
Cons
Hours and the lack of pay for them.
January 29, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry you are having bad feelings about your job and the company. I can assure you that we are doing and do everything in our power to make Ernst a great place to work and make sure our employees are treated well. Our medical benefits are top notch, we have an excellent 401k program along with profit sharing and we make sure that our drivers have the best equipment, which you mentioned. Please feel free to reach out to Derek in HR to discuss any concerns or areas that we can help make Ernst a better place for you to work. Thanks again for your feedback.

Family owned and operated. Very professional and caring owners...
Mixer Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2018
Very good place to work with very proud owners. Family owned and operated. Very good benefits and top of the industry in pay and benefits. I would highly recommend Ernst as a great place to work.
Best company out there to work for.
Paint Shop Manager/painter (Current Employee) –  Troy, OHJanuary 8, 2018
Couldn't say there is a better company to work for. John Ernst and his family care about there employes and take good care of them. Good pay. Always get t shirts an jackets every year and good bonuses. One of best company's out there to work for.!!
Pros
Bonuses. Work wear. Lunches
Great place to work for
Driver/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 8, 2018
Very family oriented company to work for. You do work a lot of hours in the summer, but the pay and benefits are the best in the concrete industry. They keep you in new equipment, get paid holidays and vacations.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Some days are pretty long
Amazing place to work.
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 5, 2018
Ernst is really a great place to come work and grow. You get good benefits, good pay along with company that really cares about their employees. The owners take pride in knowing there employees and treats you like family. I could not ask for a better company to work for.
produtive
rear load driver (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYNovember 18, 2017
great place but they is no room to move up yo manager ect you get no paid vacation days off there is no room for advancement in the company for seniority
Pros
non
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ernst Concrete. Our community is ready to answer.