Ernst Concrete Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Love Ernst!!
Payroll/ HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 24, 2018
I left my job of 12 years to come to Ernst and everyday I am so glad I made the change. It makes a huge difference when you love your job and the company you work for. It's not too often people who have 20-30+ years of service and can still rave and speak so highly of the owners and company they work for. I have heard so many people here- from all different positions & backgrounds- rave about what a great company Ernst is and it speaks volumes to me that after all their years of service they still love Ernst and are loyal to the Ernst family. Ernst is a very generous company, and they genuinely care about their employees and customers. They expect you to work hard and to do your best everyday. Benefits, 401k, and profit sharing are excellent here.

It doesn't get any better than John Ernst & the Ernst family!!!!
Demanding industry
Mixer driver (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHAugust 15, 2018
After 21 years I can honestly say hiring into Ernst Concrete as a mixer driver was the best career choice I could have made. The industry is very demanding and life sacrifices will be made but you’ll find everyone making the same sacrifices from the top seat to the bottom. The industry requires long seasonal hours minimal breaks and a competitive environment. It’s stressful, dirty, demanding work but I found a peace and self satisfaction of a job well done. The company has the best equipment pay and benefits of any ready mix company that I saw come and go in the past 21 years. Do they demand a lot from an employee? Sure, but they’re just trying to remain competitive in a cut throat industry and don’t mind sharing the profits with employees in one form or another. If your hardworking honest cooperative diplomatic and flexible mentally physically and emotionally this is the job and company for you. There are opportunities for advancement into multi level management positions. Thank you Ernst for the memories.
Pros
Pay benefits equipment advancement
Cons
Demanding industry
ernst concrete is like a big family
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, GAJuly 13, 2018
I loved working here they really show there employees how much they care for them and appreciate them. This is a great place to work for especially if you live in the area or don't mind to travel and have your cdl
All in all great place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 8, 2018
So I've been at the company for a 1yr. Managment does have a bad habit of micromanaging but all in all their good people who listen and actually care. I'm an entry level mechanic that has received a bunch of training from my shop. I love my job and the people the only change I would suggest is train the drivers how to clean there 250k dollar billboards. All the Ernst family is great mark the Vp treats us all as a valued asset
Pros
Cons
No ac in the garage
Great pay terrible hours
Title- Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAFebruary 28, 2018
I like the work just not the way your schedule works. I really love to make customers happy. I am very detailed oriented and this job is great for that.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
Horrible Job Culture
Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 27, 2018
They are all about the money even if it means a horrible work environment. Top few people in the company treat the rest horribly! Pay is not as good as it should be for what you have to deal with. Protect your family life and pass this one by and move on to the next. Sad because it used to be a great company to work for.
Pros
They have a lot of nice equipment but the job culture is DECLINING...
Cons
Hours and the lack of pay for them.
January 29, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry you are having bad feelings about your job and the company. I can assure you that we are doing and do everything in our power to make Ernst a great place to work and make sure our employees are treated well. Our medical benefits are top notch, we have an excellent 401k program along with profit sharing and we make sure that our drivers have the best equipment, which you mentioned. Please feel free to reach out to Derek in HR to discuss any concerns or areas that we can help make Ernst a better place for you to work. Thanks again for your feedback.

Family owned and operated. Very professional and caring owners...
Mixer Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2018
Very good place to work with very proud owners. Family owned and operated. Very good benefits and top of the industry in pay and benefits. I would highly recommend Ernst as a great place to work.
Best company out there to work for.
Paint Shop Manager/painter (Current Employee) –  Troy, OHJanuary 8, 2018
Couldn't say there is a better company to work for. John Ernst and his family care about there employes and take good care of them. Good pay. Always get t shirts an jackets every year and good bonuses. One of best company's out there to work for.!!
Pros
Bonuses. Work wear. Lunches
Great place to work for
Driver/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 8, 2018
Very family oriented company to work for. You do work a lot of hours in the summer, but the pay and benefits are the best in the concrete industry. They keep you in new equipment, get paid holidays and vacations.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Some days are pretty long
Amazing place to work.
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 5, 2018
Ernst is really a great place to come work and grow. You get good benefits, good pay along with company that really cares about their employees. The owners take pride in knowing there employees and treats you like family. I could not ask for a better company to work for.
produtive
rear load driver (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYNovember 18, 2017
great place but they is no room to move up yo manager ect you get no paid vacation days off there is no room for advancement in the company for seniority
Pros
non
Cons
healthcare
laid back but still very driven atmosphere
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 16, 2017
Everyone there was very relaxed in the sense that they didn't hound you about what you were working on because everyone was very self motivated. It was an environment where you accomplished a lot because you worked a lot of hours so it didn't seem like an insane work load because you had enough time to finish all the side work you needed to get done between the stuff you had to be there for.
Pros
free lunches occasionally, very competitive pay, opportunities for advancement, very laid back environment
Cons
long hours, long drive to work, sometimes stressful, occasional outside working conditions in adverse weather
Good money. Bad home life. Management is garbage.
Driver (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 24, 2017
If you wanna be at a place that will run you like a dog then tell you that you can run 16 hours then be off 10 then this place is for you. No home life. Contractors are rude and want to put you in dangerous spots. Managers put hands on employees then fire an employee who stands up to them. The hourly pay is good and good benifits. I just wonder if the owners know that this company is falling apart and doesn't have morals anymore. If you are looking for a place to enjoy your work run away
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, lack of sympathy for drivers
A company with no morals.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 21, 2017
This would be a good job if it wasn't for the amount of hours they expect you to work. You basically work dark to dark everyday, with no breaks. They regularly force drivers to go over on hours, and force them to work without there required 10 hours off between shifts. When they're slow they'll just leave you at home without pay. Now for the good, they do offer great pay and benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k matching with profit sharing. If they let you see your family every now and then all those benefits might mean something. I'm currently just sticking around until I find something else.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Extremely poor work life balance.
Great place to work and grow!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 19, 2017
Ernst is really a great place to come work and grow. It is hard work at times and sometimes long hours, but if you have done this before you already understand that. If you haven't done it before, they have a great training program that they really put the time and effort into making you successful on the job. If you enjoy hard work and great pay, you should check into an opportunity with Ernst.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and company that really cares about their employees
Cons
Sometimes there are long hours involved during different parts of the season
Horrible place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 15, 2017
This company has absolutely no care for there employees health or family needs. The employees are not permitted to take lunch breaks at all and are sometimes working 15+ hours a day. The managers are all horrible and there are entirely too many people with Authority one manager tells you to do something and then you get in trouble for doing that by another manager. I have had managers curse and scream at me for absolutely no reason and be completely unprofessional. They are always rushing you while your driving which in return could cause an accident in which you would be fired for. The company used to be great and very family oriented but things have changed since Ernst bought out another company and expanded. If you have a family or enjoy your personal time such as nights and weekends I would not recommend working here. I am so glad I no longer work here this used to be one of the top companies in Cincinnati to work for but that has definitely changed for the worst. I have been hauling concrete all my life and it's all I know and it's what I love to do but I can honestly say working here changed that.
Pros
Cons
No lunch breaks, bad management, forced to use vacation against will
February 19, 2017

Thank you for feedback. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with Ernst Concrete. We take all feedback very seriously, both positive and negative. Our goal is to continuously improve all of our processes at Ernst Concrete making it one of the best places to work. We wish you the best of luck with all your future endeavors.

typical day at work
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 1, 2017
you clock in and get towork you have to be able to balance drivers needingfixedwith doing PM daily. you have to ahve people skills and be able to talk to people.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not so truthful
February 19, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate all feedback we receive and do our best to make any needed improvements. We are glad you enjoyed the pay while working for us. We want all of our employees to know that we value them by offering great pay and benefits. We hope that you will continue working with us and know we really do appreciate your hard work.

Good place to work fun people to be around
Cement Mixer Driver (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 28, 2016
This is an good company to work for great competitive pay and well as good training. The trucks were state of the art as well as good management generally a good place to work
Pros
good equipment, off days, okay home time
Cons
seasonal job, inconsistent arrival to work time, as well as a weather job where you do not work when it rains
like to work out at gym and love animals
SALES & DISPATCHER & LOADER (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHMay 16, 2016
I have worked long hours & any time needed. I have managed people at work. Doing the best job the company needs. I ran a front end loader & forklift.
Much team effort. and good equipment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cols. OhioFebruary 1, 2016
I'm a former Ernst driver, hoping to get back on this spring, in the Columbus, Ohio division. A typical day at work is what I have been doing for over 30 yrs., hauling crete. The hard part of the job was being on call sometimes, but never during the busy season, except for rainy days. I have been on the other end of the chute enough to have a feel for how how hard the work can be. The best part of the job is when I help steer new customers to the Co. or help younger drivers learn more about the job.
Pros
A variety of customers, and good pay.
Cons
being on call during the winter mos.