ESF Camps Employee Reviews

Former employee (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsDecember 4, 2018
I enjoyed caring for the kids, interacting with the staff and directors and having fun! They also have a foundation camp for inner city kids who get to experience actually attending camps that otherwise they are unable to afford. They’ve had the opportunity to learn Violin, different dance styles, photography, various sports, and even attend science and reading classes, etc. That speaks louder than anything else.
Pros
Very good/ free and healthy lunch
Cons
That some families may not know about the camp
Extremely understaffed, camp culture is strange
Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Multiple schoolsOctober 14, 2018
They never had enough instructors for the courses they offered and the training was extremely inadequate. Tech camps were often lacking supplies needed each week. There were so many weird rules and management made it very difficult to adjust schedules when things changed. Often had to travel to different sites since many camps were understaffed and reimbursement for travel often took months to receive.
Pros
Kids with great personalities
Cons
Toxic work environment
Overworked, underpaid, underappreciated
Everything (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 18, 2018
Esf summer camps is like that friend that doesn't appreciate you even though you put in 110% and always have problems with but still try to stay friendly towards so you sit down to talk about your problems and tell them what's wrong and it goes in one ear and out the other so nothing changes so the only true way for you to be happy is if you leave and cut ties but then they question why you’re so mad and are leaving them.
Strict
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTJanuary 8, 2019
ESF had relatively poor management. The executives did not follow their own strict rules of the company. Under pays employees. In Greenwich CT and is very expensive for kids to attend, and the workers barely got minimum wage. Don't work here.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Strict and unreasonable management
Fast-pace, demanding position
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTAugust 11, 2018
I have enjoyed working for ESF for multiple summers. It is a great place to meet people who are passionate about working with children. It is a fast paced environment in the sense that as a counselor and activity specialist you must follow a schedule that maximizes the campers' experience. It is a demanding job in the sense that you must be someone responsible and dependable, with common sense and good judgement in order to fully enjoy working at this summer camps.
Fun but not a permanent job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Haverford, PADecember 18, 2018
Very laid back and enjoyable job. Many of my fellow colleagues were frustrated about the pay from being a camp counselor. I would say the job fun but is not very sustainable.
Pros
wonderful students
Cons
No benefits
High expectations for low pay
Coach (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 31, 2018
When your paying your highly qualified staff minimum wage for working 8+ hours a day with no break there is bound to be dissatisfaction. When one camper makes pays more to attend the camp then the coaches make in a week you have to wonder where the money is actually going
Pros
Dedicated staff
Cons
No breaks
Fantastic learning atmosphere
Director (Current Employee) –  Haverford, PAJune 17, 2018
Anyone pursuing a coaching or education degree or certificate should be working for ESF during the summer. The level of skill, tools, and expertise shared enthusiastically by the 'vet' teachers and directors is more than I've seen learned in any student teaching environment.
Pros
excellent networking
Cons
pay rate isn't as high for specialists as other niche camps
Dream Camp in Hartford was phenomenal
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 31, 2018
I worked as a swim instructor and lifeguard at ESF Dream Camp at Trinity College located in Hartford, CT. The entire staff was amazing to work with and there was a great camp wide energy. I was trained more than adequately before camp started and most of the staff had been there before, so you could always ask questions. It was a really fun experience and if I was able I would go back. The hourly rate for lifeguards at ESF was similar to other area lifeguard jobs.
Pros
Free lunch and snack
Great work environment, little development of employees
Sports Coach/ Counselor (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, NYMay 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time as a counselor, but feel that I was unfairly let go. Other than the lack of communication between myself and my supervisor, the experience was enjoyable.
Pros
Great collaboration between counselors
Cons
Pay for lunch, poor communication by supervisors (personal experience only), harsh cell phone policy, harsh weather conditions (heat)
Standard, somewhat chaotic summer camp environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJApril 18, 2018
Counselors were expected to supervise campers during the day and adhere to a set schedule of events, weekly meetings regarding specific subjects and distributing awards of excellence. Management was rarely in-contact with counselor body, but expectations were clearly stated and enforced.
Pros
High energy environment
Love this Camp
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, PAMarch 19, 2018
I had a wonderful experience with ESF. Working as an activity specialist I was able to learn more and had so much fun with the kids. The staff and my Director were great and very collaborative to work with. The discount for my children to attend camp was incredible and they loved every minute of it. If I hadn’t gotten a new full-time job I would love to still be with ESF.
Pros
Great programs and fun environment.
Cons
Not a full-time job
Fun Summer Job
Director (Current Employee) –  Chester Springs, PAMarch 14, 2018
I have always had a blast working here. The camp is fun with tons of really good energy and my co-workers are really great to work with. The programs are great and getting a chance to see the kids enjoy what we do is one of the reasons I keep coming back. I have worked at other summer camps and this is by far the most organized and best run one I have seen.
Pros
Great co-workers
Love my coworkers hated Management and the Head of ESF
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 9, 2018
ESF was a great place to work only thankful to your fellow peers. Management was never around to help. The kids were the best thing to happen me but the pay absolutely horrible... working in the office located in Bryn Mawr was even worse. For the amount of money they charge for camp they should be treating us a lot better. Take care of your employees we are the reason the kids have the best summer ever.
Pros
Working with awesome kids
Cons
No lunch break must eat with kids no break what so ever and low pay
Super Fun Environment Great for Educators
Assistant Aquatics Director (Current Employee) –  Chester Springs, PAMarch 6, 2018
I am a camp person at heart, so I absolutely love everything about ESF. I worked last summer with the camp and they have a wonderful background of traditions and values. I had great feedback from my supervisors that really helped me improve professionally.
Pros
Outside
Cons
Uniform
Fun workplace
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 27, 2018
Everyone is friendly and always ready to help when in need. I like that we're paired up with a co counselor so it's less stress on one individual. Management can be way better tho and more diversity.
Caring company with an AMAZING team
Talent Director (Current Employee) –  Bryn Mawr, PANovember 28, 2018
ESF is more than a job, it is a privilege to be a a part of something greater - a rare opportunity to be an integral part of a high-performing, dedicated team. There is a certain DNA for someone to be successful and happy at ESF - it is having a "do what it takes" attitude and approach to work. Everyone you work with is "all-in" and incredibly committed to creating the best possible memories and camp experiences for children. Everyone will stop what they are doing to help you when you need it, even if they have a full plate of their own. I drink the Kool-Aid, I admit it... after 6 years full-time (and 10 summers total) I still tear up at every ESF video and testimonial, seeing the joy we bring to campers. ESF moves fast... it is a dynamic environment that is always seeking to stay ahead of what is relevant for our campers. Being a smaller company year-round, any and every team member has the chance to significantly influence key programming and other major decisions that are brought to life the next summer. You can actually stand back at the end of the summer and say, "I played a part in making that happen." The "F" in ESF stands for FUN - and we work hard to make that a part of our company culture. We actually have a FUN SQUAD at work comprised of team members who volunteer their time to infuse fun, camp-like activities into our weekly workspace during the year. ESF also is heavily invested in professional development and offers leading experts to come speak with our year-round and summer team. For year-round employees, ESF offers very generous benefits and time-off.
Fantastic Summer Camp
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 26, 2017
Loved the staff and kids at camp. Days were busy, yet not stressful. Several structured activities per day involving exercise, art, and learning opportunities. I only wish there were field trips and the pay was better.
Pros
Staff, low stress, fun, organized, respectful
Cons
Low pay
A great experience
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haverford, PAJune 10, 2017
It was a great experience to be a camp counselor at ESF. This camp is not like any other in my opinion. It is very structured and there are set times for the children to do every activity. You are expected to participate in each activity with the children unless you were doing paperwork. The hardest part of the job would have to be keeping your cool after a long draining day in the sun. The children maintain their energy throughout the day while yours is depleting but managing to keep a smile on your face through it all was the only challenge. Still a really great job and it's great as an introduction into childcare opportunities.
Positive and Great Management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 31, 2017
ESF Dream Camp at Trinity College (Hartford, CT) has been a great and rewarding experience. The leadership team has all been there for many years, so there is consistency and you know that it is a positive place to work if they keep coming back. It is not the easiest summer job, but if you enjoy kids and a camp environment, then there is nothing better!
Pros
free lunch, opportunity to work before and after camp
Cons
Only 5 weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESF Camps. Our community is ready to answer.