ESP Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

Top Notch
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 15, 2019
Over 5 years with the company as a CEI. Everyone has been amazing. Work more with DOT than actual employees but the staff has always gone above and beyond. I would recommend to anyone.
Fun and challenging place to work
Lead UAV Pilot (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJune 20, 2019
Through my experience at ESP Associates, I have seen people come and go. It is a exciting and challenging place to work, because you never know what’s around the corner.
Travelling is Mandatory
Land Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 2, 2019
As a technician, travelling is obligated and you are expected to have a flexible schedule for out of town jobs. Out of town jobs typically range from 2 weeks to 2 months.
Pros
Work trucks are provided.
Cons
Two person field crews.
Productive but stressful and quick paced
Geospatial Technician I (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCSeptember 5, 2018
The managers picked up a project they weren't ready to do, they had to hire a full second shift and a third shift. They strongly encouraged overtime for the majority of the year I was there, which is good for pay. Each day was about the same, same work. You are not given breaks.
Pros
Nice Office, Approachable Managers, Friendly CEO
Cons
No specific breaks, long hours, Night shift, reclusive coworkers
Set up to Fail
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCApril 12, 2018
They don't set you up to succeed, but rather to fail.

A specific example: I was told prior to hire that the company would train me on the software that I had no experience in. Instead, they showed me a few basic commands and didn't tell me any of the company's 'lessons learned'. I worked on several projects using techniques and procedures from my CAD/ GIS background. Once someone finally checked my work, it was 'wrong' and set all three projects back. I got blamed for the set-back. (In CAD/ GIS, you always want to join and connect lines together. Apparently, in this software that was the wrong thing to do.)

Also, they would constantly provide conflicting instructions.
Productive work Place
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCOctober 4, 2017
A Typical work day consisted of arriving at an assigned job site to assist with the compliance and adherence to local, state, Federal, and site specification
Pros
Minimuim Supervision
Cons
Inclimate Weather assignments
It can be a great place to work, depending on your assigned department.
AUTOCAD TECH III/CREW CHIEF (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJuly 13, 2017
Esp continues to stay on the cutting edge of technology. Which gives you and opportunity to utilize some fascinating equipment and software. The company is growing fast and expanding into new markets which often creates new positions. But as with most bigger companies its easy to get lost in the shuffle, especially if you've been there for a long period of time. I learn a lot and had the opportunity to work with a lot of the latest technology, but I also felt like I could have done so much more if given the opportunity.
Pros
Esp continues to utilize great technology like; Mobile scanning, UV technology, and Point clouds.
Cons
Big company atmosphere and lack of training opportunities for the new technology.
Clean, caring, and inviting environment
Survey Technician II (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCMarch 3, 2017
I would spend the day doing property research either on the internet or at the county courthouse. I would use microstation to layout surveyed land. It was a very business like culture, but they also took the time to help the community, for example, they were a member of the adopt-a-stream program. The hardest part of the job was making sure all of the survey crew had downloaded their survey points each day, so they could be updated. The best part of the job was having the responsibility and trust to manage my own time.
Pros
Given a lot of lead way and encouragement
Cons
This company had a high turnover rate.
Raleigh, NC.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 24, 2017
Company micromanages your money / hours. Fast jobs with small budgets. Very little overtime. When you don't get 20 a week, company expects you to file unemployment instead of trying to find you work!!!
Pros
not much
Cons
Not enough work, lots of favortism!!
Good company to start.
Project Manager I (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCDecember 14, 2015
Good learning experience with the rest of the technicians, extensive field work, good pay and benefits, scheduling is somewhat not organized.
My Worst Nightmare of a job
Proposal Designer/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCAugust 17, 2015
I took this job during the recession and stayed there 9 months in this role. This is the only company I've ever worked for that I dragged my feet to work and literally wanted to shoot myself by the time the day was over. There's a reason they have the same proposal job posted every year.

The job posting doesn't tell you what it really is. They want an admin but labeled as a proposal support role. I'm a hugely hard worker but I draw the line when the CEO/President gripes about the way his papers are stapled (horizontal instead of slant so the pages turn out and not up - :/). They micromanage like no one's business and have unrealistic expectations for everyone. Pay is average. Definitely not worth what they want you to do. and Let's be honest it's the Old Boys Club from the way they talk in the halls to the way your performance is evaluated. This is a not a career company. Use it as a stepping stone and get out. Or better yet, just avoid it. I wouldn't refer my worst enemy to work here.
A good place to work
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2015
While advancement was limited without an Engineering degree, the company did very well at investing in those who invested in their work. We were expected to work hard and work smart, and we were rightfully compensated and rewarded when we did. Those who did not generally did not fit in and weeded themselves out.
Pros
independence, company trust
Disorganized
N/A (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCMay 9, 2015
ESP is the classic example of a small mom & pop shop that has grown to big for its own britches and is now a disheveled mess. Management is disorganized and chaotic. No-one outside of owners and leading project managers has any idea what is going on at the company level. No communication whatsoever with staff regarding future projects, work projections, long term plans, satellite offices, profits, opportunities for advancment, etc. Everything is top top secret.

Company owners and HR staff are loud and intrusive asking odd personal questions of the staff that are border line harassment. Very very odd work culture. Feels as if everyone is walking on egg shells at this place.

Department heads talk the talk about wonderful opportunities for advancement and flash goodies (mediocre salary increases) during reviews, but advancement opportunities never materialize. Project managers are mostly incapable of delegating. Awful work life balance as a result. PM's do not listen to production staff and place unreasonable work deadlines on staff. They constantly tell individual staff members how lucky we are to have jobs and how bad working conditions are at other companies.
Pros
Okay benefits; company is growing having opened new locations recently; nice office in Fort Mill.
Cons
overtime, poor communication, disorganized, stress level
Great Place to Work that Values Employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 14, 2015
ESP is a great place to work that balances work and life. Employees that work hard and want to succeed do succeed. Management respects the employees and elevates those that want to advance. The employees are like family and we cut up a little bit, but know when to buckledown and get it done!
Pros
Advancement, diversity, cross training, great benefits, Pto, paid holidays
Cons
Overtime
Toxic Work Environment, Bad Management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCOctober 6, 2014
Negative, toxic work environment. Benefits are so-so. Not supportive of work/life balance. Fearful of keeping job because of scare tactics used by management.
Pros
Benefits are so-so (average), nice building, decent pay
Cons
No vision insurance, lack of job security, unethical behavior among management, odd culture
Toxic Work Environment
Proposal Designer (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCOctober 5, 2014
Inapt management staff unable to successfully delegate work. No team collaboration or clear plan/goal.
Productive, a great place to work, very flexible environment
Branch Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 12, 2014
Great people to work with from all walks of life. Everyone worked towards the same goal. Management was down to earth, realistic and savvy. Co-workers were fun, love to come together and celebrate life. A lot of work, work overtime just to keep up. Great people.
Pros
Celebrate each other's accomplishments. Respected and cared about each other.
Great Place to Work
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCApril 22, 2014
Encourages Self-Growth, and great opportunity to climb to ladder if you are willing to put in the effort.
typical 3rd party company
Certified Welding Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill scOctober 17, 2013
Hired in as metals tech, not so true. Most of my time was spend testing soils.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESP Associates, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.