ESPN Employee Reviews

Not A Dream Come True
Content Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 19, 2018
Try to avoid the CAP program. They overwork and underpay and advancement is very difficult. Most people that get promoted don’t get it based off merit and hard work, it’s a popularity contest. If you’re good at your job, they penalize you for it which isn’t how it should be. Management is out of touch and don’t care about career growth, just the bottom line. ESPN as a whole has a lot to offer, how this program isn’t a good representation.
Solid company, great atmosphere
Assignment Editor- Studio Production (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 12, 2018
Help build strong and ever changing company. Great people and benefits. Competitive environment, 5 start cafeteria, gym and camus lifestyle. 24/7 environment
Pros
people, campus, compensation and benefits
Cons
work life balance, nights and weekends depending on department
Fun place to work
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 11, 2018
Fun work environment with great people, team building and networking events, educational opportunities, and sporting events to attend with the family.
Pros
Casual Work Environment
Cons
Tough Work Schedules
Great name for the resume, little pay in the end
Digital Audio Producer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 8, 2018
Like most corporations, they will bleed you dry and leave you to side when you are done. They don't believe in work life/balance (as much as they preach it) and the pay is pathetically low. The move up the corporate ladder is difficult, if not impossible depending on the criteria of the day. Not a place I recommend to create a career.
Great experience
Brand Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
Great job experience! Its a fun work environment and great for networking and meeting other people. Great team and management, very flexible with your schedule.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
pay
Amazing place to work
Field Reporter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 2, 2018
ESPN offers amazing opportunities for reporters looking to secure a stable job or even break into the market. They provide you with any and all info you need to be successful and give you a clear understanding of the outcome they expect.
Diversity and Inclusion
Security Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 17, 2018
ESPN
This company is here for you for whatever your needs are in life. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people. Work life balance is extraordinary,
Pros
Life balance
Awesome Experience
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 13, 2018
I was brought in by ESPN as a production assistant while their television shows were broadcasting from Philadelphia during the NFL Draft.

It was a wonderful experience being a part of the 'team' and watching the shows being produced first hand.
Pros
Free lunch and coffee!
Cons
Ended too quickly!
Sports is Life and Life is Sports
Statistics Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 10, 2018
ESPN is a great place to work as long as you understand the world of sports.

There will be abnormal hours and long-days, there is work on holidays for a lot of people, because that is when sporting events take place. If you're okay with that, then this is a great place to work. Lots of fun being in the office. We focus on sports, so the office always felt like one big team, big celebrations for success and lots of helpful people to help you practice if you need to improve.

Starting out as a PTE can be tough, as the amount of hours can vary pretty greatly once you get into the slower months for the sports industry. However, ESPN does like to promote from within and would much rather help current employees move up within their systems.

Overall, I had a great experience working here and only left to relocate with my SO for an opportunity they couldn't pass up. If I am ever back in CT, I would love to be a part of this company again.
Pros
On-site Cafeteria, On-site Gym, Good Starting pay, Center of the Sports Universe
Cons
Hours scheduled around sporting events can be abnormal
Secure place to work
Coordinating Editor, Production Operations (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJuly 9, 2018
Overall secure place to work. Work life balance is always a battle because of the nature of television if you choose to work in the industry. People I work with directly is the best part of the job. Always on the cutting edge of technology.
Pros
Medical Coverage, Perks
Cons
work life balance at times
Assistant Site Director (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FL 34747July 5, 2018
It's a fun environment to work in, where people truly care about you and your success. I learned a lot and believe the experience I gained is substantial to my future success.
Travel and see the world
Remote Operations Coordinator - Live Broadcast (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 27, 2018
Fast paced environment that is fun to work in and provides many challenges to overcome and problem solve. Must be a self starter and anticipate the needs of others.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
fast paced
Statistician (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLJune 26, 2018
I love the work environment. Everyone is focused on getting the job done, and working hard. I was responsible for gameday stats, so I didn't really have room for error without it being public displayed.
Media Intern
Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 20, 2018
I worked a few events under one of ESPN PR. I was able to experience behind the scenes of different events hosted by ESPN in the Atlanta area. Overall amazing experience!
Great culture, poorly managed
Content Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 18, 2018
On a day to day basis, working at ESPN was very fulfilling. The people there are passionate about putting together a great product and employees are generally given the tools they need to succeed. However, evaluating talent and rewarding that work was always a struggle. Every year it seemed there was some new performance evaluation method, and even after scoring high marks, moving up and getting promoted seemed like management was drawing names from a hat. A lot of this was due to management not having a plan for people shifting away from cable, so promotions came less frequently and created a log jam. Production assistants and content associates are put on a clock that is ticking where they will be exited for not moving up quickly enough, regardless of the reasons why. The facilities and experience are first class, but management give incentive for people to leave.
ESPN is more than sports!
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 18, 2018
ESPN was one of the best companies that I ever worked for. Being behind the scenes in the ultimate reality show of live sports is exciting, challenging and thrilling. I learned more from this company as an executive than any other entertainment company.
Pros
Working with extremely talented people (both employees and celebrities).
Cons
Watching so many people laid off...including myself.
Being a Production Assistant has the best perks
Production Assistant (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2018
So long as you put in good work, working for a company as big as ESPN has its benefits. The name carries a lot of weight in the sports world, being the worldwide leader in sports media. Working even one day allows you a behind the scenes take on how the sports media industry operates.
Typical Day of Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 12, 2018
Everyone had great communication and teamwork. The crew really knew how to balance when to be serious and get to work, but also take time to get to know their co workers. The best part was that asking questions was not only welcomed, but appreciated by everyone on the crew. Nobody will ever get mad at you for asking a question even if you think it is a dumb question. It is much better to ask a dumb question then mess something up in a broadcast.
Too much idle time. All nights and weekends
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJune 3, 2018
I was there when it was 3 buildings and a dozen satellite dishes.
Not challenging enough. Worked almost exclusively 4-midnight,
Mon-Fri... Just married, so no home life. Left when they were going to add Saturday nights, so no weekend life either.

People very nice. However, other maintenance techs looked down on me because I was too eager, and trying to fix things left for dead.

Hardest part: Hours

Best part: Working with satellite technology.. Great pay and benefits
Pros
Very nice people, aside from my peers
Cons
Stress from boredom. Bad hours... Two employees after my hire worked days, while I worked all evenings and weekends
Fun workplace
EVENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 30, 2018
I learned a lot about marketing and through my internship and eventually my part time position I gained much needed experience.
The many different facets of the company helped me learn how businesses run

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESPN. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight