ESPN
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

ESPN Employee Reviews for Production Assistant

ESPN insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

It a great place to work if you love sports and TV.

Espn is the perfect place to work if your a fan of sports and TV. Is a high pace environment but also a very rewarding one. It was an amazing experience work there and I hope I get to work there some time in the future.

Tough place

Tough place to work, especially for minorities. Its a good ole boy network & its hard to exist if you don't make others feel good about themselves. The pay is below industry standard.

Great place to start your TV career

I left ESPN close to 10 years ago, and sometimes I regret my decision to leave. It was such a great place to work when it comes to good people and learning about the industry. As a production assistant, I was able to edit, produce, work on graphics and do so many jobs. Each day brought a new challenge, but most nights you walked out feeling proud of your work. Why I wouldn't give ESPN 5 stars is because they let go all of my mentors who basically built the company, so I question loyalty. Also, you have no life. I always used to say, "Only the strong survive." You have to LOVE not only sports, but television production to stay afloat. During my final months there, I pulled all nighters every week. I'd go in at 3 pm Tuesday, go home to take a shower at 5 am Wednesday morning, come back and then stay til Thursday morning at 2 am. I was then asked, "What more can you do for us?" It's demanding and you get burnt out. But, you need to make overtime to get a decent pay, so I was accepting of the work. This being said, I have nothing but fond memories, and they are truly the best at what they do. You may not want to last many years in Bristol, but they will give you all the tools you need to survive in this business.

Dream job but your personal life will suffer

There is never a dull moment at ESPN. If you're a sports fan or you love creating fun video elements, there is no better place to work. However, there is no flexibility in your schedule. You will be expected to work nights, weekends and holidays. It takes a toll on your personal life. Colleagues are some of the best people I've ever met. The employee benefits are unrivaled.

Very fun place to work

ESPN was a great place to work I really got along and enjoyed the people I worked with and my supervisor all ways put me in a position to succeed. I am going to miss working there.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Freelance work

-on-site live production at sporting events. -learned all aspects of production in a fast paced environment. -takes often more than a month to get paid. -great people to work with -extremely long days

Very friendly crew and an amazing place to work at.

Typical day at work was ideal. Everyone was very friendly from beginning to the end of the day. Management was superb and all of the employees were sociable and professional.

Great experience

Working on the studio set was an eye opening experience. Meeting persons from different countries and the level of professionalism was brilliant. The level of organizing - ensuring the equipment is functioning correctly, scheduled time checks are accurate.

Pros

New cultural experience, timely lunch.

Nice

I like working here. I only got to work here for a short period of time because I was under a contract. I worked here for 8 months. I want to stay longer but they can't keep very many people.

Part-time Periodic with ESPN and other Networks

My work with ESPN and other Networks is in addition to my daily profession as a real estate closing assistant. I have assisted with several networks, and athletic departments through the years. ESPN is not necessarily the main or only one. One of the primary responsibilities I have had is as the TV Timeout Coordinator. The duties include controlling game play and keeping an organized time schedule. While working games I will have a headset with a producer and director talking to me directly, while coordinating with the school stats crew and team coaches on game time and clock management, and also communicating with the game officials.You have to remain calm and be able to communicate clearly with all at the same time. It is exciting to be able to feel like you are a part of the game and all the action.

Pros

Working with various TV Networks and Athletic Departments

Cons

Is not full-time

It's definitely a cool job

Honestly, it's a great place to work. The problem is that there is a lack of career advancement, and with that comes an inability to make enough money.

Pros

People, Facilities

Cons

Lack of advancement

Wanted to move up but no

Most of my managers was great the last one was terrible. I wanted to move from a temp position to a full-time position but no one was interested in helping.

Pros

Food

fun and ability to learn more

working close with like minded people. if you love sports and love the radio world then this is the place for you. you can learn and develop your skills with great training.

Awesome Experience

I was brought in by ESPN as a production assistant while their television shows were broadcasting from Philadelphia during the NFL Draft. It was a wonderful experience being a part of the 'team' and watching the shows being produced first hand.

Pros

Free lunch and coffee!

Cons

Ended too quickly!

Being a Production Assistant has the best perks

So long as you put in good work, working for a company as big as ESPN has its benefits. The name carries a lot of weight in the sports world, being the worldwide leader in sports media. Working even one day allows you a behind the scenes take on how the sports media industry operates.

Very Good Job

My experience at ESPN was awesome I never would have thought that I would be up close and personal with the UT football events and being apart of it all

Pros

Being part of UT history

Cons

weather!

not for me

after 8 years - 2yrs temp position, 6yrs full time I would never work for ESPN again. No room for advancement and not a single promotion. Worked nights, weekends, holidays for 7yrs and my social life disappeared. work/life balance was non-existent.

benefits

Cons

no advancement

Not bad for a first job

If you are not from CT, good luck. Terrible work hours, no weekends unless you got an office job. Nothing to do around the area. The job is not bad if you can handle not having a life or any fun unless you drive 2 hrs+.

Sports lovers excel in fast paced entertainment/dining location.

Make money working in the restaurant/bar side of the house, but get valuable live show production experience working on the entertainment side. Top flight athletes are always nearby.

Pros

Met many pro athletes and sports broadcasters.

Cons

Late hours

Fun, creative work place

A typical day was to arrive on time and report to the producer. I would have to be available as a production assistant to tend to the needs of production and talent.

Pros

Free lunch/ fun, creative

Cons

unstable work

Quick-paced

I work as a local runner/utility worker when they are in town, but I have a fun time working every game. It's a fast-paced environment and you have to be aware of whats going on, especially during game time!

Pros

Your working for ESPN

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESPN. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

20%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

20%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss