Esri Employee Reviews

Fun work environment and great to learn new skills
Support Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAApril 22, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Esri. I got to learn many new GIS skills that I would not have anywhere else. The people are great to work with and will always help you.
Do not recommend Esri
Community Content Manager (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 1, 2019
My experience at Esri was very negative. I often had very little work during the week to do and when I brought this to the attention of my supervisor, he retaliated. When I took a medical leave of absence, he tanked my review and took away my work. When I returned after months of working with HR to resolve the differences between myself and my supervisor, I was asked to resign. When I refused to resign, they came back with a very small severance package to entice me to walk away amicably.
Pros
Opportunity to travel and learn GIS software
Cons
Poor management and HR practices.
Fun workplace and unique work
Icon Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CADecember 18, 2018
At the icon and design division, we were given unique projects to design for different clients within Esri and also develop products to better the company in general. I learned how to utilize Illustrator to its full potential and tested my limits in problem-solving while learning it. The culture is overall welcoming and encouraging, getting help and critique from other departments and creators are encouraged, which was the most enjoyable aspect of the internship. The most difficult part was working without tools that full-time employees had access to, but in the end, the challenge helped me learn even more.

The schedule is very customizable to work with commuting and other events later or earlier in the day. Throughout a work day, I'd work on my assigned project and do check-ins regularly with my project leaders to make sure my designs were on schedule and within the guidelines.
Pros
Coworkers, projects, scheduling
Cons
Frequent project changes
Team work atmosphere
Disaster recovery specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 19, 2018
One of the hardest most demanding projects that i have worked but the experience was priceless. During a flood like harvey caused the entire region was in chaos and the people treated us like heroes
Pros
Paid for food and lodging
Cons
Some workers and staff were in experienced
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2018
A typical day involves fielding telephone calls, producing quotes, and providing information to clients about business-to-business software. Workplace culture is relaxed and the management hierarchy is perceived to be flat (no org charts). The company hires former government employees to build their sales contacts and offers no compensation for increased software sales.
Esri Experience
COMMUNITY CONTENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 29, 2018
Overall Esri is a great company to work for that encourages all employees to learn and use their products to better serve their customer base and find innovative solutions.
Pros
Travel reimbursement, banked hours, great benefits
Great company with a horrible sales channel
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 10, 2018
Great company with a solid mission to be a source for good in the world. However the internal conflicts between product leaders, and a long history or bad marketing left them struggling to be accessible to a larger audience. The company has much much much smaller footprint than they deserve.
Pros
Great mission, Great people
Cons
too self-centered, lateral moves almost impossible
Avoid this Company
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 18, 2018
Very negative experience with this company. Non-exempt staff are treated poorly and work/life balance is only for exempt employees. Two classes of employees here. Management do not trust staff and over-control minutia. They are out-of-touch with modern work practices and make it difficult to get simple things done. Dead-end company.
Pros
Free coffee
Geodesign Intern (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 15, 2018
I really enjoy my work here at Esri. There is a lot that the employees do to create a wonderful culture in and out of the office. The campus is beautiful and makes coming to work in the morning that much more enjoyable.
Exellent workplace with challenging projects
Full Stack Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 23, 2018
Open workspace
Plenty of meeting spaces
Top of the line equipment
Multiple monitors
Management cares about personal development
Paid hourly
Generous Vacation time
Bank Hours
Pros
Awesome collegues, challenging projects, dev growth
Cons
Cant think of any
Good Benefits & Job Security
Executive Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2018
Low advancement opportunity and poor overall management by senior staff (some nepotism). Support team is OK but benefits are good especially healthcare.
Poor Mgmt, Low Pay, Great Colleagues
GIS Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJune 20, 2017
I enjoyed most of my time at Esri. It was my first job out of tech school and I couldn't have been more excited to be working for the industry leader in GIS. In support, there a couple of different shifts to choose from, which meant I could opt to work from 7, so I could leave earlier in the afternoon.

I learned way more in my 2 years as a support analyst there than I would have with any other organization. Dealing with clients in all states of mind was fantastic, I learned soft skills, like patience and compassion, which I have been able to take with me and use throughout my career. Technically, I became very resourceful and technically savvy, learning to think and talk on my feet, digging up answers without losing the client's confidence.

The biggest issue I had was the way the advancement worked. In order to apply for an internal position, be it within your current department or in another department, you need to have your managers permission. This leaves a lot up to subjectivity - if you are great at your job, they might want to impede your professional progress, so as not to lose you, if they like someone else better, they might sign off on their application, and not yours. These types of things happened often and made the environment less than pleasant for those affected. Managers were often promoted by way cronyism or nepotism, and not always leadership qualities and skills.

As an entry level position, the pay was OK, but not really good. Increases are based on "merit," which is determined by your manager. Sick, Bereavement and Vacation time available
  more... were bare minimum, health and dental coverage was excellent. Coming from another country, the recruiting staff were incredibly helpful with the immigration paper work and worked tirelessly to get me over some major hurdles and into my position there.  less
Pros
On-site cafe, benefits, great entry-level position
Cons
Poor advancement structure, compensation packages not great, Management not properly trained
Good benefits, good compensation but stressful environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMay 25, 2017
Benefits to working at Esri, on site cafeteria with great daily selections and specials. No cost health insurance for not only employee but dependents as well. On site workout facilities and casual dress work environment.

Cons, no direction from management, extremely stressful work environment.
Laid back workplace
PRODUCT MANAGER / SENIOR CARTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 27, 2017
Great company to work if you are interested in making money, but don't care much about moving up in the organization.
No discernible way that decisions are made, so you can't have an impact on what you are going to do next.
Extremely inefficient internal communication between functional groups, no career growth-paths, but you can learn on your own a lot.
Pros
flexible work hours, benefits
Cons
boring and repetitive work
Benefits good, poor management
Contracts (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 20, 2017
Esri is a small company that is suffering from growing pains. It wants to be large, but does not have sufficient infrastructure to move to the next level. Technology and market leadership are important, but they do not invest in their people or promotion opportunities. Plan to stay in the SAME role even if you are ready for more challenges.
Pros
free coffee, flexible schedule, some working from home
Cons
No advancement, Good old boy mentality, nepotism
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 7, 2017
I've learned to build on my communication and collaboration skills in a world class company. A typical day in my position is high volume of customer requests via phone, chat and email for many departments in the company, including but not limited to corporate reception, customer service, and technical support services. Esri Reception receives tens of thousands of calls per month and has been recognized for ensuring customer satisfaction, speed and accuracy in the routing of technical support calls.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
highly competitive cororate culture
Friendly and productive environment, encourages learning new things.
Software Products Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 7, 2017
Got to learn a lot about Coded UI and MVVM automated tests, and about different standards or procedures followed during a SDLC.
A typical day at work would start off with a scrum meeting where each member discusses what his/her plan of action for the day is or if they are having any roadblocks other teammates would suggest possible solutions.
It is a great place to work at. Everyone is passionate about their work and is always ready to help. The overall environment is one that nurtures learning.
Excellent Company, fun work environment, great opportunity to make a difference
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 2, 2017
I interned at Esri and one thing I can say for certain, you will fall in love with the work they do and how they do it. I got the chance to work on my own ideas during my internships and mentor/managers will go a step further to help/teach you.
Cons
I can't think of any cons
Overall great place
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2017
The best place for a geographer to work! Sometimes a little workload heavy, but that is to be expected with any company. Everyone loves coming to work. They treat employees wonderfully.
Productive, yet laid-back workplace
Enterprise Integrations Intern (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CANovember 30, 2016
Esri is a tight-knit company, known the world over for its geographic information system (GIS) development and applications. The CEO is very active at Esri's Redlands HQ, and is very involved with the staff.

The atmosphere is "professional casual", at least in the information technology building where I worked. Break and lunch times were fairly lax, and a typical day would usually involve mixing meetings, busywork alone, and breaks. Despite the laid-back atmosphere, tasks and projects are still generally completed on time and according to specifications.

Management was particularly excellent at Esri. Since it's a relatively small company, managers know each other very well even between departments on different sides of the campus. Generally, everyone will make time to accommodate you if there are any questions you need answered. Management in my group was excellent, and made very good progress on scheduling between team members and allocating enough workforce to complete projects.

However, there is still overtime expected of staff here, which I believe is a fair trade for the relaxed atmosphere this workplace gives. If you are looking just to reduce your work hours, this company may not be for you.

Redlands is only accessible using the I-10 freeway, which means that it shares a lot of commute space with people going to and from Los Angeles. Because of this, the commute tends to be pretty bad.
Pros
Cafe on campus, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Bad commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esri. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss