Play YouTube video button
63Average

Esri Employee Reviews

United States76 reviews
Featured review
Esri selected this as a representative review
Esri provides many opportunities for personal and professional growth. You are given ample training opportunities to define your own direction and contribution to the the team / organization.
My experience here was unfortunately bad and felt obligated to share my experience as it is all too common. During my time at ESRI, I had no support from management as my supervisor intimidated and belittled me everyday. I was told I disposable daily, it got so bad I didn't know if Id get paid for a full day work. I was told from HR & management to either take it or leave. Management doesn't care about your career aspirations and there is little to any movement/promotions. There is high turn over, don't expect to work here and for things to be fair. Interns are paid more than those with more experience. Non-exempt employees are treated as second class. Working hard isn't good enough here to make it. The company has a reputation for "spitting out" those who don't quite fit. I've spoken to many people around the community who have had similar negative experiences. Most people do not end up making it long term, so don't be fooled by the fact that people have worked there for years. If you end up working here know that you are taking a risk, it could possibly and will most likely NOT work. I would consider this company to be more of a bridge job rather than a career. The job itself was easy but the culture was one of complaints, gossip, and unfriendly colleagues. It sucked the life out of many people and it affected their performance/moral. Inconsistent and malicious management/supervisors doesn't allow you to focus on your craft. Leaving this company was the best decision I could of made. Avoid this company due to the fact that it has HIGH turnover, malicious management, low pay, - more...
Worked in one of "Support Centres". Had to leave it much earlier.

Key points:

1. All management is mostly of one race and mentality, there is no diversity whatsoever

2. Roads are not open to smart, but to loyal people with no backbone

3. So called "leads" are in fact mini-directors, they lead nothing apart from tucking people back in the line

4. Caste society. Double-speaking, double and triple-dealing mass, which covers up for one another and never progresses because of that. Very narrow-minded people.

5. Rude and often incompetent "leaders", "trainers".

6. Misleading and even threatening management which has no idea what GIS is.

7. Terrible treatment in overall. Place is soaked in lies, manipulations and gossips. Tons of politics. Everyone who is upper is never accountable.

8. Management does not care about anything as long as workers are loyal and useful. One can drink beer and play Fortnite at work, second would be fired in 24 hours if dares to ask for days off to take care of their child.

9. Meaningless to say, but all the rules are applied selectively. It depends on how much one can lick.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management
I would not recommend this company other than to use it as a jump start to somewhere better. Believe, there are way better places to forward your career. Everyone thinks that Jack Dangermonds company is the best. In the 1980's and 90's it was a great place to work. But as soon as they had TWO HR departments monitoring your email calling you in to HR because it too more than 15 minutes to respond while you were at lunch or in the bathroom. That is when I left after 24 years. I Have my own business now and love it. I have to say it has been very tough since March 2020. But we are all suffering from the same thing.
Pros
Cons
not really
Productive and efficient work environment. A typical day at work was repetitive and balanced. The workplace culture was sufficient. The hardest part of the job was finding coverage for the front desk.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The hardest part of the job was simply settling into the environment and learning the new tools. After that, I was set to work. I would experience problems and difficulties with the projects, but I always had someone else's expertise to rely on. After a while, others would even come to me for help on their project. I was always learning new things (even an entirely new programming language on the spot), so there wasn't any shortage of challenge, but even during my rougher patches where I struggled more than I'd liked, I still felt like an appreciated part of the team.

The only complaint about the job was the commute time (40 mins there, 50 mins back), but that was primarily a personal problem.
Pros
Good culture, wide variety of challenges
Cons
Commute time
Esri is a leader in the industry not only because it started so long ago, but because as a privately owned company, it reinvests profits back into it's people, products and services. There is always a clear mission to help people understand their world with the technology.
Worked at Esri ~3 years. A typical day is really dependent on you. I spend a lot of time researching and learning in addition to normal job responsibilities. Management is very hands off. Very open culture.

Most frustrating part are difficult employees who have been here forever and are just coasting.
A typical day at Esri would be exciting as i got the chance to make my day whatever it needed to be above and beyond my normal work duties. Be it a candy bar station, fresh flowers or a birthday celebration it was always something to bring a lighter part of these heavy hitters day.
Management was great towards these activities, but unfortunately, not towards promoting us. Management was like our friend but was not secure enough in their position to make things happen for their staff. This would be the hardest part of the job. As I watched so many educated and skilled young people stay on the same level for so long.

But what I will remember most of Esri is the awesome support I received from Everyone when my husband got sick and during his last 2 1/2 years of life Esri was there for me like no other. I never was made to feel bad about time off and my team did everything they would to ensure my work continued in my absence. I will never forget...
The ESRI culture is a strong one of individual accountability and success. One big thing to note for sales positions is that this is a non-commission sales organization. They pay fairly, but the big upside swings are not available.
Lot of old school programmers who bog down the company. They keep hearkening back to past and show little respect for new employees. I see a lot of toxic shouting matches and hazing which new employees have to endure. Also a lot of rules such as vacation hours and remote work are applied selectively. Old employees are on vacation but dont use their hours, because selective bias+magic. Being an industry leader does not guarantee the same forever. Drive long time toxic employees out.
Esri software is by far the best GIS software on the market unfortunately it is a very difficult culture to work in. The organization is flat and advancement is only provided to a select few of inner circle of managers. Partnering with Esri is also very difficult. The Partners often complain about the length of time it takes to achieve closure on issues and opportunities due to the bureaucracy at the corporate level
Beatiful working environments and lots of independent office cells. Employees can trade extra working time for vacations. I guess that’s why the salary is not that high.
I didn't feel respected, or valued after working there for a long time. Career advancement was impossible, no help by managers or HR. I could never trust my direct managers. Esri has this, "need to have a degree to work here" mentality so this place is filled with, new grads, or old experienced professionals. Because of that, you have a whole lot of spoon fed arrogant people with no creativity, lack of social skills, vision, life experience, passion or care about what they really want to do with their lives. If you are creative, fun, have true passion for what you do, got your degree by really working for it, go somewhere fun like NBC Universal, Disney, Google, places like that. Fair warned.
I would rather not comment on my time there but to be honest I think the company is growing every day and it's still being run with a small business mentality. That can be good socially, but also make's it very hard to grow professionally.
As a Jr. Systems admin, I got to learn a lot of new things from my Colleagues. I also learned some better ways of performing tasks that I had existing knowledge of in a much quicker way
Average pay, terrific benefits package. Sales organization can be stressful despite non-commissioned sales force; experiences vary considerably by manager. Markedly different experiences and work-life balance across divisions. Little to no promotional opportunities in the remote offices. Management bottlenecks make it hard to get business done. Work is underway to modernize much of Esri in IT and Bus Dev for example, more needs to be done as other Bus units seem stuck decades behind. Company culture shifting with growth; businesslike climate is being replaced with a more social atmosphere - can be frustrating to observe some enjoy the levity while seasoned staff carry the load.
Esri cares about its employees and its customers. Everyone is passionate and mission focused. The CEO and founder has integrity and is a good organizational leader.
Great people, amazing support team in place and the benefits that are provided are so amazing. The work environment is very team oriented...great place to work.
Great place to work hours are not bad, the pay is okay, and benefits are great, however (I can't speak entirely for Esri) I guess I just got unlucky to be placed in a really strict management and work environment. Some people you may run across are a tad bit passive but that just how they are. They are definitely experiencing a HUGE age gap (not a lot of young folks) and I just feel like it's because of management. They are really stuck in the past and things like "warming the seat" are somethings you have to get use to. Although it's a tech company just beware of how traditional management is.
I have spent many hours learning new skills, made myself clear to management and HR about what my passions are, and what I want to do in the future. I certified myself in the new skill, and continued educating myself by attending school and made sure I was learning skills to help my current department and future position.

This all went nowhere. I felt management and HR turned the other way, never encouraged and applauded my non-stop drive to learn and advance. I felt esri would rather hire peon interns and outsiders instead of focusing on the people that have dedicated themselves long term.

I WAS happy go lucky, excited to advance and impress my colleagues, and be awesome for esri. Instead, with the constant cold shoulders of my leaders that enjoys the focus on minute failings, my goals were to learn what I need to learn, educate myself, and hash out of esri and never turn back. I am very keen, educated, fun, and drive to succeed. The company that knows how to recognize this will be extremely, and pleasantly happy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Esri. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Esri.