ESS Education Employee Reviews

Enjoyed this job
Sales Secretary (Former Employee) –  Ellwood City PAMarch 5, 2019
I was the sales receptionist. I was taught sales quoting of steel. and done minutes for meetings and kept all steel certifications to send to clients and all other secretarial duties as required.
Pros
great learning experience and company
Cons
sorry that I had to leave
Substitute teaching
Certified Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 3, 2019
Substitute teaching and teaching assistant. Making sure the teaching sub plans are followed. Following the schedule of the school and following the rules of the district.
Productive strict educational work place
One on One Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 20, 2019
Working with one student to make sure that he or she stays on track. Redirect when student when upset, nervous, anxious and etc. My boss great when needed has your back and 100 percent understanding.
Fun
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Booneville, ARFebruary 15, 2019
Fun
Out going
Friendly
Outgoing
Careing
They always make sure we are taken care of and that we know where to go when we arrive and let us know where to go!!!
A way to get into education.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  South JerseyFebruary 14, 2019
Awesome job if you have s teaching degree. If not lower wages and no long term gigs. No benefits or pay days off. Your the CEO of the company of you.
Pros
Working with kids, work when u want.
Cons
No benefits or paid days off.
Wonderful Workplace.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARFebruary 12, 2019
I loved working with all of the students. Although some of them would test my patience it was worth the experience. I honestly wouldn't change anything i learned from working with the children.
Good place to work just don’t have another job when finished with the tie in
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAFebruary 12, 2019
The spreadboss is a pipeline knowledgeable person the foreman that I worked with on various different crews where good to work with the welders easy going and laid back ( usually in the truck as most welders I have seen). The crew I was with and the operator with me was responsible for digging tie in bell holes setting in trench boxes and removal. We placed timber mats and built air bridges in wet land and creek crossing for a lane of travel for equipment as well as trucks, (company,personal,dump trucks,and water trucks). Dug receiving pit for the drillers dug our hot lines to spot the boring head as it passed under the line. Trenched and set pipe in clamps an adjusted for welders to weld. Overall ESS was a good company to work for they just didn’t have enough work not known to me at the time I hired in.
Pros
Equipment, employees, safety, management.
Cons
No work, operators, communication.
Great
Substitute Teacher in Multiple Districts (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 4, 2019
Ess provides many school districts to sub in.Working in multiple districts can lead to more full time job opportunities. Ess is very supportive of their teachers.
Good place to work as a paraprofessional
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJFebruary 3, 2019
ESS is a temp agency for substitute teachers and paraprofessionals. Two options are available: permanent and make your own schedule. I worked as a permanent paraprofessional in the special education department. It can be a rewarding job but the low pay and lack of advancement can be a hinderance.
Pros
rewarding, good people
Cons
low pay, lack of advancement
Poor Pay/Poor Management
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington County, UTFebruary 1, 2019
I love substitute teaching and intend to advance into a full time teaching position. However, ESS pays $75.00/Day, which means, i can hardly afford anything. Thank goodness my wife also works so were not homeless. It's pretty insulting to pay a hard working American who has a bachelors degree, veteran, etc. this low of a salary. In this job you are required to take all the initiative if you want to work and they pay you $75.00. What i'm saying is that you do all the work and ESS does nothing. The boss out here will call you if you have a day off and try to get you to take jobs anywhere without telling you the actual job. You have to pull it out of him. He sends out group emails basically threatening his subs to work in a condescending tone. When we had our initial training he told us via email that it would be 2 hrs long, and then, when we were about to leave the training he told us that we were required to be at an 8 hr training the next day without pay or even a lunch. It's a joke and the boss is useless. Like I said, you do all the work. I get almost 40 hrs a wk bc i have a couple of schools who like my work ethic. ESS does nothing. Pay us more.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Pay
I love working with elementary school and having job security.
Elementary School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Willingboro, NJJanuary 23, 2019
I have learned alot from the staff members at the school I currently work at. ESS made it possible for me to obtain a year long position. Guarantee work is available if that's what you desire. Picking where and when I want to work is also a choice . Choosing the assignments through the job portal is very easy and they also call or text in the mornings. Each school runs differently but overall I have never had a bad experience. Staff is very professional at ESS. Every call and email is answered in a professional manner.
Pros
Guaranteed work
Cons
Salary
Great employer
Excavator operator (Current Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAJanuary 15, 2019
I worked hard and the manager was very hands on with the employees. And was more than willing to promote the people that work hard and show innitative. Was always excited to go to work.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Short home life
Decent if you're a certified teacher, sucks if you're a PCA.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2019
Overall, it's a decent place to work and the pay is good if you have a teaching degree and are in a good school with supportive administration, like I am. That said, the health benefits are AWFUL and I have yet to find a doctor near my home who will take my obscure, unknown health insurance (I live in UPMC vs. Highmark land), so if you can, get on your spouse's or partner's insurance. In some schools, you do have the inside information on potential contract jobs within the unit or district.

On a side note PCAs are EXTREMELY underpaid for what they have to put up with (student behaviors, changing student's soiled diapers, etc.) and their turnover rate is ridiculous. If they paid their PCAs better, they would probably have higher quality employees with less turnover.

ESS management is not typically on location at the schools, so you have to email or call them to get any questions or concerns addressed. It's always a gamble whether or not they will actually respond to you.

Additionally, they pay per diem at the school level with no sick, PTO, or vacation time, so if you don't work due to being sick, for personal reasons, or because of a holiday, you don't get paid. However, you do qualify for unemployment during longer periods of time off such as summer break (at least in PA you do). There is also no room for advancement or promotion when employed at the school level. The plus side is that you do have the inside track on job openings in the district / unit. If a job opens up, you are often given the priority in the application process (behind the actual contracted
  more... teachers).

This is basically a job that gets you a paycheck and experience until you get a contract with a district or a better job. It's not a long-term place to work when you're at the school level.
Pros
Good work/ life balance, pay great if you're a certified teacher, summer unemployment benefits
Cons
Pay is awful if you're a PCA, no PTO or sick days, terrible health insurance
God Forbid If You’re Not A Cartified Teacher!
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 12, 2019
I had enjoyed working in Red Clay schools as a Substitute Paraprofessional, but ESS will cancel assignments without notice. You have to call them, they don’t call you.
Pros
Pay is okay, you can work 5 days a week 1/2 or full day assignments.
Cons
You have to pay for benefits, no pay when schools closed.
Substitute Teacher is amazing
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hattieville, ARJanuary 10, 2019
I love being a sub! I worked more with the local
School then the actual ESS staff. Hours, days all depend on me and my availability. Very rewarding job!
Pros
Working with kids!
Cons
No benefits or job advancement
Current Employer
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 6, 2019
I am currently employed with ESS as a substitute teacher. This questions doesn't apply to my situation. I will not evaluate a current employer. They are the only public substitute teacher agency in the area.
Ess/s4t/blast
Per Diem Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJanuary 4, 2019
Joined ESS/S4T just over two years ago having left local districts in their substitute pools. Pay reflected regional average for daily substitute per diem (11/hr).
Placement on daily basis is individual choice, NOT according to any level of certification, professional background or grade level. There are NO performance reviews by qualified supervisors or certified educators. Reviews are completed on hearsay, not education formal observation nor walk-through.
Company is after $$$ only, having no real concern for educational advancement. Districts accordingly are seeking quick simple means to place an individual in classroom setting.
Pros
almost daily per diem availability
Cons
no advancement, poor management, all about $$$
Self-Reliant workspace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARDecember 26, 2018
I enjoy the independence and being able to create my own schedule. I feel it is good experience for when I get into my career. However, I don't feel that this job pays enough.
Great place to work for up and coming or retired teachers
Title One Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camden County, NJDecember 26, 2018
I enjoy working with children and ESS gives me the flexibility to work or have time off when I need it without penalty. There is a variety of locations in which to work. This gives you an opportunity to see how different districts are ran, if you are seeking permanent employment.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No paid time off
They do not give their employees job references
Substitute Teacher/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJDecember 25, 2018
ESS does not do employees references. If you apply for a job you cannot use ESS as a reference. they tell you to give the school as a reference. That does not make any sense if i'm only subbing there for the day, the principal and secretary does not know me well enough to give me a reference to give to a prospective employee. Other than the beautiful children i love being around, Its a waste of time working for ESS.
Pros
the children are fun to be around
Cons
no vacation, no paid sick time, no raises, no references

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESS Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight