ESS Education
77Above average

ESS Education Employee Reviews

Work-life balanceIt’s what you make of itPay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at ESS Education are lower than averageJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at ESS Education, I think it’s pretty secure (unless the district decides to hire someone directly suddenly)ManagementIn general, managers at ESS Education were generally reachable unless you had a very complicated situationCultureCollaboration with my colleagues at ESS Education is minimalOverallMy experience working at ESS Education was ok
November 23, 2020
Thanks for sharing some notes about your experience with us. We’re sorry it was not as great as it should have been. We wish we had the opportunity to make things better for you, but good luck in your future endeavors!
I like working here because of the availability of assignments. The schools have a good atmosphere. I do not have a sense of belonging because I am a substitute.
Pros
Cons
No sense of belonging feel like an outsider
November 23, 2020
It’s wonderful to hear how you enjoy the school atmosphere and availability of assignments in your area! We’re sorry you don’t feel a sense of belonging, but please know how important your role is in helping students succeed. We recommend picking up assignments in the same schools (when possible) to build stronger relationships with the students and staff, and to gain that sense of community.
The flexibility of the job is one of the biggest perks. The minimum requirement per month is 8 jobs a month, but that is easy to cover if you are eager and take jobs as they come up. Sometimes the schools and classrooms are difficult to be in, but it's a challenging environment that makes you grow and adapt quickly if you are willing to grow and be adaptable.
Pros
Flexibility
November 23, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to give us your review! Substitute teaching can certainly be a challenge, but we admire your dedication and willingness to grow. Thanks for all that you do!
I believe this company is perfect for someone who wants to pick their own hours. There was multiple times where I did not want to go in so I just didn't pick a job that day. You also get to pick which schools you would like to go to. I stayed at elementary schools because I spent ONE day at a middle school and never again. Once you get comfortable, you are able to build relationships with teacher and fill up your schedule in classrooms you are familiar with. I picked more paraprofessional jobs because they pay more than the $70/day for subs with a bachelors. If you love kids, this is a match for you.
Pros
Work your own schedule
Cons
Pay could be more
November 23, 2020
We’re pleased to hear about your positive experience while employed with us! It’s fantastic that you were about to get comfortable working at certain schools and build relationships with the students and staff. We agree, anyone who enjoys working with kids would be a great match for this job. Best of luck in the future!
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Supervisors make it seem like they want to help you but you never get any responses from phone calls or emails. You're not guaranteed to work each day and they only pay you $67/day for a certified teacher. If I didn't need the resume experience is have kept working my retail job because at least I was promised working days. It's not a hard job but not being able to work everyday is hard financially. It's also bad when this agency works with three of the surrounding areas near me and I've been trying to reach out for two weeks to be put in the system to work in them also. Supervisors can't send you an email back about work related things but have no problem sending a thousand emails out about vacancies that haven't been picked up yet. They label you as part time in the system but then you end up working full time hours if you want to make this your main job.
Pros
Good resume experience for teaching
Cons
Unresponsive supervisors, low wages, some teachers don't give you the materials you need to sub.
November 23, 2020
We’re very sorry to hear that you’re not completely satisfied with your experience working with us and we want to make it better. Not being able to get in touch with a manager should never be the case, as we are here to support you! Please note that you can also reach out to your regional support team at HREast@ESS.com for guidance and solutions when needed. Regarding working every day, be sure to keep a close eye on assignments in Absence Management. Sometimes assignments will appear late the night before or the morning of due to last-minute callouts. We appreciate your input and will surely take it into consideration to better our company.
Listed as $18 an hour, promised $100 a day over the phone, found out I have to work 90 days to receive $100 a day. 80 first 30 days, then 90 until you reach 90 days. Sub jobs cancel a lot, and a lot of assignments want you to work longer even though you are not paid hourly. It's an ok job but it isn't respected as teaching experience, just good to try out for a week or so to get a feel for the students, classrooms, different grades so you know what subject you want to specialize in or if you even still want to be a teacher.
Pros
flexible
Cons
broken promises, low pay, constant badgering to work days you dont want to.
October 21, 2020
We’re terribly sorry that there was a misunderstanding about pay rates during the hiring process. It is certainly never our intention to be misleading in any way, and we will be sure to investigate and address this matter accordingly. Meanwhile, we encourage you to reach out to your regional support team at HRSouth@ESS.com to discuss ways that we can improve your employee experience. Thanks for your feedback.
Company is run by younger people @under 35 - most subs are over 50. Rarely leads to a full time teaching position. Little to no feedback. No mentoring. Almost no teaching - mostly films or activities on computer. No chance to advance at the school - you have to know someone in the board of education to get a real teaching job. Pay usually goes down every year - averages $85 a day, but few go to $100 a day. Work is on an as needed basis. Hours not guaranteed. At will employee. No pension. Schools use ESS so they can save on pay, benefits and pensions costs.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low quality healthcare, no vacation or sick days, no chance to advance
October 21, 2020
We’re very sorry to hear that you were not happy with ESS. We wish we had the opportunity to improve your experience while you were still employed with us, as we do offer a variety of training opportunities and many of our substitutes get hired for full-time positions in the districts they serve. Thanks for your review and best of luck in your future endeavors!
Overallgreat for beginners! Not a long term thing though. Pay is not good enough to truly live on and the benefits are ...Fine. Just fine. Its pretty unorganized and they switch your class and school at will. Like they'll email you the day before you switch and sometimes in the middle of the day if your switching in the same building. You never feel secure.
October 21, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to share your input with us! While last-minute changes are sometimes unavoidable, they should certainly not be the norm. We will take your feedback into consideration.
If you don’t enjoy working with children, this job isn’t for you. If you do, you’ll most likely enjoy it. During my time, I enjoyed working at different schools with different ages and getting a sense of what being a teacher in a classroom was like. The pay wasn’t near as much it should have been, especially for what substitutes go through. I was called demeaning names by middle and high school students and in one elementary school I got hit in the eye with a pencil, and another I got grabbed and spit on by a child. I would feel bad if I forgot to put in a “non work day” while I went to school because the people would call and text me asking to fill in and then would go to the remind app to say we need to put in a non work day, even if we had just forgotten to. I was told it was flexible/work when you want but then they would be upset when I didn’t fill in or accept assignments. Once this COVID stuff began, the schools shut down so I wasn’t working at the time. Once they said schools were opening up and the substitutes could work again, I was all of the sudden kicked from the system and haven’t been able to find any way to contact anyone to see why I was kicked from the system! I had a good rep as a substitute and I’m not sure why I was “fired” or kicked from the system and haven’t been able to find out why either. The pay isn’t worth what you go through but gave me a excellent opportunity to see what the classroom was like, it even encouraged me to change my major once I found out it wasn’t something I wanted to do for a living.
Pros
Working in the classroom, Part-Time, Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough pay, no clear communication, kicked from system for no reason
I love my job very much. The interview was awesome. The people are pretty great. My boss is super nice. The only opposing comment I can make is that I feel I don’t get paid enough for what I do. However, the people are great, the job is great, it’s all great.
Pros
Benefits, Wonderful people, Professional environment
Cons
Pay rate
It is a good part- time job.The classroom can be hectic at times.The pay is too low to sustain you.A good fit for someone needing teaching skills.
Pros
Flexible days
Cons
stress in classrooms
October 21, 2020
We’re sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your experience while employed with us. We’re constantly working to better our company, and we appreciate your feedback to help us accomplish that. We wish you success in your future career!
I am very displeased with the environment at the Environment. ESS management provides lack of support , lack of training to its employees, and is disorganized. ESS stands for Education Management and Staffing Solution which is an educational temp agency that employs those searching for a substitute, paraprofessional, aid, nursing, food service etc. work in various districts affiliated with its company across the nation. The description of assignments that ESS provides you with are convoluted and you go into an assignment without preparation or proper navigation of the tasks. The customer service representative who work there are incompetent and have bad attitudes. The Aesop frontline absent management portal has technical difficulties and is troublesome to utilize. The pay is low and not a good enough salary for the duties that its workers perform. I feel as if they do not care about you as an employee and undervalue your role in their workplace. If I was thinking prior to being hired by them, I would have attained employment solely with a district. The only benefit is that you get to contribute to the students' learning and give back to the community.
Pros
You get to chose what assignments you want to fufill, The students are a joy to work with and appreciate your assistance in their academics
Cons
Low Pay, Lack of Support, No Training, Lack of Guidance
Working with Ess is a great experience. You will enjoy the freedom make your own schedule. There are plenty of schools in the district to choose to substitute teach.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Minimum wage
October 21, 2020
It’s fantastic to hear how you’ve been enjoying your time and the flexibility to create your own schedule as an ESS employee! We’re glad you have a variety of schools to choose from in the district you serve. Working at different schools is a great opportunity to expand your horizons as a substitute teacher!
OverallMy experience working at ESS Education so far has been great. Granted I would like to be mainly in a certain school district. But as long as I am working 5 days a week I have no complaints. I’ve never had a “day” job (Hospitality management) and getting to work the same hours my kids go to school is even better. Yes, the pay could be better but I love it.
October 21, 2020
We’re thrilled to hear about your positive experience working with us and how you’re enjoying it! Thanks for the review – we’re happy to have you as a member of the ESS family!
Learned new skills. Worked with other great professional and students. Would recommend this position especially those interested in education and working with students one on one
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Pay too low
October 21, 2020
We’re happy to hear how you were able to learn new skills from working with great professionals and students throughout your experience! We agree, this job would be beneficial for anyone looking to get started in the education field. Thanks for sharing with us!
The flexibility of schedule is the best! I got to pick my own shifts and schools. There is a portal to let anyone schedule and cancel assignment on time.
October 21, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us! We’re pleased to hear how you’re enjoying the flexibility aspect of the job. Working in different schools can help you develop relationships and expand your experience as a substitute teacher!
It was good while it lasted but when getting a weeklyThe Only real problem I had was lack of clarity from the manager and when explain a concern it wasn't recognized
Pros
Cons
Meeting new staff bonding
October 21, 2020
We’re sorry you were not completely satisfied with your experience while employed with us. We are always working to make improvements to better our company whenever possible. Thanks for giving us your feedback!
Nice opportunity happy to work there been working there for a couple years now don’t plan on stopping happy to work at the school it’s nice being in a classroom all over again
October 21, 2020
It’s wonderful to hear how working in the classroom brings you joy! Thanks for your hard work as a dedicated ESS employee over the years. We’re lucky to have someone like you a part of our team!
ESS can be a 5 star company by holding quarterly meetings w staff to put face behind the name as we get to know each district, class and child learning teams.
Pros
What free lunch?
Cons
Healthcare and Pay Robot call issues
September 14, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and will take it into consideration to better our employee experience. We’re glad to hear that your experience with ESS was mostly a positive one!
Never work for an agency if you want to teach!!! Nobody who places you are teacher!S!! They say the districts will hire you, ultimately they don't!!! These are temp.Agencies!! The people they place are not certified and force the experienced teachers out!!
Pros
May work if you have no experince!!
Cons
Outsourcing never woks!!
This company is good it is the different schools and how they work that is hard. And children can be testing so if you have patience and love kids it is wonderful.
Pros
In charge of your schedule
Cons
Pay
  1. Employee Reviews