ESS Employee Reviews

Great place, but hard work
COOK/ HEAD BAKER (Former Employee) –  Lake Chelan, WAJuly 18, 2018
People are friendly for the most part but long hours and its usually in remote places for weeks at a time. Food and housing is covered while there so that's great! its usually 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off so if you are single its great place to work and travel!
Pros
good pay and ability to travel alot
Cons
long work days/weeks and usually in remote places
Challenging work environment
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJuly 17, 2018
Feeling satisfied after a days' work, as though I made a difference in someone's life. Making detailed notes on cases and helping clients with their needs, comments, questions, and concerns.
Sometimes You Forget You're a Substitute
Substitute Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  New Milford, CTJuly 17, 2018
I could not be happier with this job. It may not pay that well, but it is rewarding in other ways. Some people may be uncomfortable with this, but you typically don't know what you'll be doing until you report for duty. However, once you get your assignment everything is crystal clear. Even if that is not the case, the staff at the school is VERY helpful!
The staff at the schools are so welcoming that it's often difficult to remember you're merely a substitute and not a full-time employee.
Pros
It's rewarding to work with students
Cons
It doesn't pay that well
Good and fair
Instruction Aide (Former Employee) –  Chinle, AZJuly 13, 2018
Cooperative team and management. We worked together and were kept safe. All the staff of the school helped each other in each building to ensure that each other know what needed to be done.
Pros
Good ideas shared.
Cons
More training on organizing information.
Challenging!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 13, 2018
I love children so it's a treat and privilege to work at Elementary Schools where the children are innocent and are eager to learn. Managing a classroom of 22 six-year-olds in a strict daily schedule of classes and activities is an ongoing, satisfying challenge and the most enjoyable part of the job. I've even learned how to do the new math! Being in a school culture is very positive!
Great Job!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARJuly 11, 2018
If you love education and teaching kids, this is the job for you! Working with kids is the best when they are excited about all the new and wonderful things you teach them.
Depends on the school
Substitute Teacher Grades K-12 (Current Employee) –  Monmouth County, NJJuly 11, 2018
ESS is a decent employer and establish the connection to many schools in order to substitute. Its fairly easy to use the website, otherwise there is very little interaction with the company itself. You mainly deal with whatever school you're substituting in.
adjustable schedule
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paragould, ARJuly 11, 2018
Substitute teaching is great for people that need a lot of days off without it affecting the job. I was taking care of ill parents so it was a perfect fit. Now they have passed, I need to work full time. This would also be a great job for a parent with kids in school.
Pros
Able to not work as needed
Cons
not enough work for full time
Not paid correctly
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 7, 2018
Never paid correctly. Always had a problem with my pay. Hours were clocked and company always had excuse on not paying the hours worked, then had me wait to get paid for the hours worked..
Cons
Company paid the hours they wanted to pay not the hours worked.
Official response from ESS
July 10, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and apologize that you experienced issues with your pay. We have a web-based timekeeping system installed in our partnering school districts to ensure accurate payment for our employees’ hard work. We encourage you to contact us at HumanResources@ESS.com so that we can look into this issue for you and make sure it’s resolved.

SubTeach - USA
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARJuly 2, 2018
I really enjoyed working at SubTeach - USA. The only reason that I left is because I was hired by Texarkana Arkansas School District. This was a good starting point into Texarkana Arkansas School District.
Review
Spanish Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 1, 2018
Excellent and reliable work opportunity for dependable and professionals in the field of education. The workflow depends upon credentials and procedures set for effectiveness and compliance with standards.
Pros
per diem
Cons
short term mostly
ESS rep (Former Employee) –  El doraradoJune 26, 2018
It was a supportive positive work environment the team was great to work for I also enjoyed the educational resources the license that have to be retained to federal and state agencies and working with Federal and local government for applying a to Consumers
Pros
Educational
Cons
lack of work
Teachers don't get paid enough
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 21, 2018
The company itself isn't and issue at all. The students are difficult to deal with and make it hard. Teachers deserve more pay and subs could use a little increase too.
Pros
Students
Cons
Students
So far so good
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mena, ARJune 20, 2018
I have only been working for ESS for a month, it is now summer so no jobs at the moment. Before School was let out I had only worked 2 days the whole month, but from what I did work was good. Everyone was helpful to someone who didn't know what to expect.
Working with Children
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 12, 2018
If you enjoy working with children, this job is for you. It allows you to help children with their education.

While working with students within a class room setting, there are times that a teacher has to work with parents as well for the benefit of the child.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low pay
Great way to enter the board of education
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJJune 6, 2018
This is an amazing program offered by the school I graduated from where I am offered an easy access to perform professionally and receive open doors to my career.
Pros
You create your own hours
Cons
No stable income
i Love it
Sustitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ludowici, GAJune 5, 2018
I enjoy working with the staff at the schools as well as working with the students. I will hopefully be able to pick up a longterm position this coming school term.
Good Company to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 4, 2018
Great Part-Time job. It allows individuals to gain a wealth of experience that is necessary for the teaching profession.

Daily assignments are always available. The management staff is very helpful.
Flexable
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paragould, ARMay 31, 2018
I enjoy my time working as a substitute teacher. Flexible schedule so that it corresponds with my mom duties. Allowing me to be off when there were things I wanted to do with her school.
Pros
scheduling
Cons
short notice for jobs
Excellent Part-Time
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paragould, ARMay 30, 2018
The schedule was never the same. Some days I worked, others I didn't. I'd go where I was needed if it was feasible. The hours were extremely flexible, and some locations had good pay. It was nice experiencing something different everyday.
Pros
flexible, different everyday
Cons
unpredictable schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESS. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight