Essendant Employee Reviews

Good culture / great local leadership
Manager, Contact Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 7, 2018
This is a big company with many moving parts but the Georgia location is a great place to work. Team atmosphere and very good local leadership. A lot of very good motivated people that make the culture fun and productive.
Great training ground
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MADecember 7, 2018
I managed a territory and was very well supported. The organizational structure was very effective. We all worked very hard, met our goals and learned from each other.
not bad but not great
Order Filler (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILDecember 5, 2018
Company seems to be on decline as shown in lower hours worked. Management could use some work when dealing with associates that are not contributing. Has OK benefits
Pros
decent pay
Cons
short breaks
Essendant
DISTRIBUTOR WORKER II (Current Employee) –  Medley, FLDecember 1, 2018
Essendant is a great place to work to learn and to grow in the company has a very flexible schedule. Skills qualification is high school diploma experience with warehouse work and much more good place to start a career.
Challenge, growth, and encouragement
Treasury (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILNovember 5, 2018
Essendant has provided me with ample opportunities to stretch my existing skill set with continuous learning. I feel fortunate to work with my team members and to have found multiple leaders I consider mentors.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements, lots of coaching and development opportunities
Cons
Health insurance is not the best.
Welcome to a communist company. You have no rights at all.
Inbound (Former Employee) –  Shafter CaNovember 4, 2018
I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy. 10-14 hr days monday through saturday. They have no emergency contact number yet we cant have our phones on us or else its a write up. To get a day off they need 2 weeks in advance notice or you wont get it off. If you leave after your 8 hours because of an emergency, you still get a write up for not doing overtime. You only get get 4 points then youre fired. They dont care if you are sick and throwing up, if you leave early, its a point. People work with fevers and colds and throwing up but are afraid to go home because of the point they will get. I seen one guy was having a hear stroke and didnt go home ,just sat down in the break room because he didnt want a point. Management is there physically but not mentally. Its like working at a prison camp. You have no say so ,if you speak up, they harrass you and give you a point. People get fired daily. One guy got a point because he called in late to work because his Dad died. They told him he should have called before work started. DON NOT APPLY OR CONSIDER WORKING HERE. THEY WILL OWN YOU UNTIL YOU QUIT OR THEY FIRE YOU.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Working there is a con, period
Great group of people
Customer Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Manfied MAOctober 31, 2018
As a 3pl provider I am an outsider to Essendant. However they have welcomed me and my family into theirs. I could not ask for a better group of people to work with.
I really enjoy my experience with Essendant.
Windows System Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 24, 2018
Essendant really pushed me to become overall more knowledgeable as a System admin. At times Essendant can have a fast pace work environment, every year we are challenged with finding new ways to be more efficient.
I was with Essendant for 22 years , a wonderful company to have been with.
In-House Photographer (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 11, 2018
I was offered many exciting opportunities through out my career with Essendant/ formerly United Stationers . I began in telesales for Baltimore region which involved government contracts. A restructuring change offered learning experience in sales reporting for National accounts which lead to other reporting with inventory then pricing.
My most exciting opportunity was to develop a photography studio and workflow program.
I maintain the photography for 12 years until I was offered a retirement package.
Then began my own Photography Business November 15, 2015.
Pros
Be open to new opportunities and change
Cons
Change is most offered to younger
Corporate Management
Operation Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 5, 2018
In my review of this company, they say that they have a culture for the associates but you find that the culture is against certain tones of people and they are treated differently.
Pros
General Operation Manager was a fair and honest person
Cons
Corporate management is cut throat.
Nothing fun at essendant
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco CaliforniaSeptember 29, 2018
Low paying job and bad management.
I was not able to take my lunch on time.
I am by myself on outbound department loading and unloading pallets by myself.
Pros
Free stuff every 3 months
Cons
Low paying job, hard labor.
Productive and fun time
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Union City, CASeptember 24, 2018
While employed, I enjoyed the work environment, The management team was good. The hardest part of the job was shipping. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with during my employment.
Very odd managers
Sr. EDI Analyst (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILSeptember 24, 2018
They were too busy for the first two months to get me trained and introduced to their systems.

Then, when it finally occurred, it was rushed.

The person who trained covered the minimum & promised to help me through any difficulties I might have with the hodge-podge of their patch work systems. She became too busy after that initial training & her availability was always limited & rushed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Spotty management
One of the best companies to work for.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, IL 60015September 24, 2018
The company was major factor in my families life. It provided me skills and classes for my health. It was a great work culture and management was on top of everything.I enjoyed every moment of it.
Pros
A great company to work for.
Cons
No Cons
Watch your back
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  OAKS, PASeptember 19, 2018
Worst place I ever worked. Lowest pay long hours managers stab you in the back hr never does there job they worry about safety but the place is a walking disaster employees run the place worst training ever employees hit objects with equipment thousand of dollars in damage nothing happens bunch of back stabbers people come and go employees steal other people stuff like there lunches or winter jackets and again nothing happens to them but if u take companys belongings your fired dont care if you got hurt they do nothing keep your mouth shut and kiss there butts
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Managers policy pay
Uncertain Future with a dying business model
worker (Current Employee) –  illinoisSeptember 18, 2018
Overall, this has been a great place to work but due to a possible acquisition by Staples, the future there is very uncertain. Good associates who are engaged in what it going on. Recent changes in upper management have been positive overall but they haven't been in their positions long enough to have an impact.
Getting business done
Packer (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILSeptember 15, 2018
Getting items and putting them in boxes , i learned how to control my emotions , hard part was helping other people and still trying to maintain my work , the only thing that had me going was my friend pushing me to keep going far as life .
Productive and competitive
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I pull orders and pull them efficiently and accurately. I also help with all other duties as a signed. I am also on the dock to help load and unload trucks.
Great place to work!
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Essendant is a great company to work for. The job and the work is good. The biggest problem is that they use a lot of homemade applications that are like going back to the 1980s. Middle management is not always very open to new ideas.
Pros
great pay
Cons
Lots of homemade glitchy apps; IT is like going back to the 80s
Productive workplace
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Productive workplace with a big breakroom. Employees get along with each other. Treated fairly with great benifits. Can be fast paced work depending on the time of the year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essendant. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight