Essendant Employee Reviews

I was with Essendant for 22 years , a wonderful company to have been with.
In-House Photographer (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILOctober 11, 2018
I was offered many exciting opportunities through out my career with Essendant/ formerly United Stationers . I began in telesales for Baltimore region which involved government contracts. A restructuring change offered learning experience in sales reporting for National accounts which lead to other reporting with inventory then pricing.
My most exciting opportunity was to develop a photography studio and workflow program.
I maintain the photography for 12 years until I was offered a retirement package.
Then began my own Photography Business November 15, 2015.
Pros
Be open to new opportunities and change
Cons
Change is most offered to younger
Corporate Management
Operation Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 5, 2018
In my review of this company, they say that they have a culture for the associates but you find that the culture is against certain tones of people and they are treated differently.
Pros
General Operation Manager was a fair and honest person
Cons
Corporate management is cut throat.
Nothing fun at essendant
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco CaliforniaSeptember 29, 2018
Low paying job and bad management.
I was not able to take my lunch on time.
I am by myself on outbound department loading and unloading pallets by myself.
Pros
Free stuff every 3 months
Cons
Low paying job, hard labor.
Very odd managers
Sr. EDI Analyst (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILSeptember 24, 2018
They were too busy for the first two months to get me trained and introduced to their systems.

Then, when it finally occurred, it was rushed.

The person who trained covered the minimum & promised to help me through any difficulties I might have with the hodge-podge of their patch work systems. She became too busy after that initial training & her availability was always limited & rushed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Spotty management
One of the best companies to work for.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, IL 60015September 24, 2018
The company was major factor in my families life. It provided me skills and classes for my health. It was a great work culture and management was on top of everything.I enjoyed every moment of it.
Pros
A great company to work for.
Cons
No Cons
Watch your back
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  OAKS, PASeptember 19, 2018
Worst place I ever worked. Lowest pay long hours managers stab you in the back hr never does there job they worry about safety but the place is a walking disaster employees run the place worst training ever employees hit objects with equipment thousand of dollars in damage nothing happens bunch of back stabbers people come and go employees steal other people stuff like there lunches or winter jackets and again nothing happens to them but if u take companys belongings your fired dont care if you got hurt they do nothing keep your mouth shut and kiss there butts
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Managers policy pay
Uncertain Future with a dying business model
worker (Current Employee) –  illinoisSeptember 18, 2018
Overall, this has been a great place to work but due to a possible acquisition by Staples, the future there is very uncertain. Good associates who are engaged in what it going on. Recent changes in upper management have been positive overall but they haven't been in their positions long enough to have an impact.
Getting business done
Packer (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILSeptember 15, 2018
Getting items and putting them in boxes , i learned how to control my emotions , hard part was helping other people and still trying to maintain my work , the only thing that had me going was my friend pushing me to keep going far as life .
Productive and competitive
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I pull orders and pull them efficiently and accurately. I also help with all other duties as a signed. I am also on the dock to help load and unload trucks.
Great place to work!
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILSeptember 10, 2018
Essendant is a great company to work for. The job and the work is good. The biggest problem is that they use a lot of homemade applications that are like going back to the 1980s. Middle management is not always very open to new ideas.
Pros
great pay
Cons
Lots of homemade glitchy apps; IT is like going back to the 80s
Productive workplace
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, ILSeptember 3, 2018
Productive workplace with a big breakroom. Employees get along with each other. Treated fairly with great benifits. Can be fast paced work depending on the time of the year.
A place to work with benefits:
Shelf Order-Filler (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJAugust 28, 2018
On a typical workday the company has a deadline for scheduled shipments. I have learned that you have to manage your time in order to avoid late shipments. I personally enjoyed management because I had opportunities at see them out side work place during company functions. They try to treat everyone equally. The hardest part of the job was working with people who didn't want to do a task but would get upset if you did it and received good recognition for it. For example, if overtime offered at the beginning of your shift and I came in early working 12 hours, some will be upset if they were mandated on the end of the shift or I worked more than the 12. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I served on the jobs Activity Committee, Safety Committee, and Diverse Committee. I felt that my opinion was not unnoticed. Plus the company provided picnics for employees and family, Christmas parties annually and celebrated other holidays as well.
Pros
Good pay great benefits:
productive work place
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILAugust 27, 2018
Essendant accommodate the employees with massage chairs for stress filled days and entertainment as far as television and video games. They also sell food in case you forget your lunch. Essendant gives you a water bottle to keep your self hydrated on intense hot days.
Pros
paid lunches, well being of employee physical condition
Cons
short lunch
Basic
CUSTOMER CARE (Former Employee) –  Greenville, ILAugust 22, 2018
I really enjoyed the people I meet and worked with. The travel distance was very nice. The pay was decent for the area I lived in and the travel time. I do wish they paid more I would consider going back. The enviroment was very friendly.
Pros
cost of living
Cons
the pay
good job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILAugust 22, 2018
nice place to work.. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a job to have job security, great work environment and a great group of guys to help you.
fair company to work for essendant
Local Driver (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 20, 2018
i don't remember too much about this company except the contract ended and all the drivers had to find another job and that was very stressful to find another job so soon I really would like to forget about these thing kin a company but i came to realize it was just business and that is how the business is operated all over the world.
Pros
great benefits, nice equipment to use, uniforms provided and cleaned
Cons
p, ay, no window for advancements, no pay raises, they do not back the drivers when coplaints are made.
Fast paced with a good work environment
Assistant Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Deerfield, ILAugust 15, 2018
I found my time at Essendant to be mostly positive. I do like the work environment. I believe the managing staff does well in their roles. The workplace culture is generally good, the staff seems to get a long with each other well. Essendant does have work from home days which helps when emergencies spring up. It's a fast paced environment where you are not always given the best direction. Although, the people there are willing to help and guide.
Pros
Work from home days and full benefits.
Cons
No real help with career advancement.
Great environment with fun and easy going coworkers
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 13, 2018
Great work and experience. forklift experience training. Great benefits with paid time off and vacation pay.Learned how to receive merchandise, stock the merchandise, as well as pulling and palatalizing for shipping.
Pros
Provides a workout while working
Cons
Small lunchroom
Productive fun and positive work environment
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Antelope, CAAugust 10, 2018
Great company to get hired on permanent with great pay over time and other Beni fits overall great co workers and management busy work to make time go by
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Temporary position
its fast paced and everything you do its timed
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 9, 2018
I worked here for over 5 years, while I did learn a lot for this job that's about all I liked.

the job is fast paced and everything is timed by a computer headset you ware. every year they will aim for you to be faster and faster.
me another coworker worked very fast, when we left they had to lower the bar because others weren't as fast.
Pros
you can learn alot about warehouse operations
Cons
very fast paced and under paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essendant. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss