Essentia Health
Happiness rating is 55 out of 100

Essentia Health Employee Reviews

United States532 reviews

patientduluthhealthhospitalclinicnursenursingdepartment

Great training and team support

An entire team that is just a message away to help us with complex calls. Rewarding work helping patients with their billing and insurance questions.

Watch for Bait and Switch

The worst training I have ever seen. The management disappears and leaves you without training so they set you up for failure. The work culture is very poor and morale is low since the management is so poor. Pay is very low in this town as well. They do not even offer their disabled employees appropriate parking.

Pros

Close to where I lived

Cons

Poor management and HR

Essentia Health insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Overwhelming workload

Employer literally puts profits before patients and employees. Forethought for workers safety is almost non-existent, they care more about their image than the quality of patient care.

What is the best part of working at the company?Most of the staff I worked w/ very kind & friendly.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Being under staffed & under paidWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?The culture was good I felt, the environment could be toxic at times but this due again being under staffed & under paidWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?1st one there & last one to leave.

Toxic and hostile work environment

Awful physicians. Inexperienced nurses. CMO is a Podiatrist who has no business being the chief. Poor leadership who is out of touch with reality. Profits before patients

What is the best part of working at the company?Easy going as long as your getting your work done.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There is no stress. That's a big reason why I like the job.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?You half to be able to adapt around sick people as well besides just cleaning.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Same routine, maybe a few odds and ends that are out of the ordinary depending on what area your working in.

What is the best part of working at the company?The coworkers I had were amazing. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?I’m a dedicated worker and expect to work hard for my paycheck. However—the expectations of productivity—with the resources vs demand was not reasonable. What looks good on paper does not equate to the reality staff face every day. Decisions made by leadership teams that have no sincere idea (which is very different than a theoretical idea) how the work is completed and what obstacles are faced daily was a significant challenge. Please walk the walk. There are GOOD people here doing great things. However, the unreasonable productivity expectations cause many employees to leave, which is unfortunate. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?I believe it depends on the department you work in. It seems very variable.

Middle of the road. Nothing special

Coworkers are supportive and always helpful. Dept management works with the staff very well. Overall hospital philosophy lacks what I am looking for in an employer.

Pros

Good team to work with

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunity

Patients and coworkers were great, upper management not so much

Upper leadership took over the department that I worked at. Unfeasible requests and changes made that had an impact on patient care. It was awful to tell patients they couldn't get their supplies or equipment.

Pay is good, until you realize that you're just a number...

I'm really not trying to sound biased here, but aside from the wages we recieve (compared to the same department at other hospitals) and a couple higher-level managers that have their own stressors while trying to help us succeed, we have the perfect breeding ground for a toxic work environment.We've had people in our department fall asleep at their post (multiple times) and still not get terminated, all while the rest of us get chastized for wearing the wrong color undershirt beneath our uniform. Our wages are good (when compared to the same position at other hospitals) but the extra effort you put in will not change your pay-grade; no matter how hard you work, and no matter what certifications you voluntarily get (including instructor certifications), you will still recieve the same wage increase percentage as the employee who shows up late, leaves early, and does the bare minimum while at work. I truly wish I was making this up, but I'm not, and it is truly disheartening.We've had upper-level management attempt to address these issues, but it also seems like their hands are tied. We've also learned many things through trial-and-error that honestly should've been taught to us on day-one - including safety precautions and protocols. To be honest, it baffles me how certain departments can be run with such incompetence, especially in a medical setting.

Pros

Good higher-level management (for my department), wage (when compared to same department in other hospitals)

Cons

Lackluster training, no supervision, no discipline or organisation, no incentive to provide good work ethic

No support from upper management

EMS has always been put on the back burner. Raises were halted due to money needed to go to building the main location in Duluth. Problems are not addressed with staff when there is an issue.

Great place to work with great people! Great at collaborating across different disciplines. Can be challenging at times but had great support during my time there.

What is the best part of working at the company?Remote workingWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Unmanageable workloadWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Toxic environment What is a typical day like for you at the company?Really hard

Management is awful, if you don’t fit into the cliques you’re nothing to them and they will make things up to get rid of you

If I could go back in time and offer myself any advice about taking this position I would say save yourself the irritation, frustration and heartache and just don’t do it. These people have gotten too big for their corporate britches and no longer care about their employees if they ever did.

Pros

Cons

Short or no breaks, no flexibility, rigid management with no understanding or compassion for their staff

Avoid this place

Terrible everything here,if u r in the union the raises are Terrible, you get retaliated against..Terrible mgmt. Desperate for a job, go here. Worst employer i have ever worked for

Understaffed

I enjoyed working there. They are very good about being sure we have what we need to do a good, effective job. We were always understaffed with a high turnover rate, so we were always hiring and training new staff. I felt burnt out after a few years.

Eh?

It’s a hospital so it’s not great. Med surg ratio is 4:1, acuity is high, good teamwork depending on your unit. Upper management is toxic, and doesn’t understand what it is to actually work on the floor

Great place to work!

I love working at Essentia in D.L.! They treat their staff really well. They pay well. The nurse to patient ratio is 3-4 on Med/Surg. The teamwork is great! Able to give great care! Patient often comment how great experience they have when being cared for at our hospital.

my dept is a disaster

same job everyday. working conditiobs are horrible. terrible raises if you are in the union and not a nurse. avoid this company if you are certified in something.

Liked the job

I really liked the job. Only reason I left was due to health reasons. I plan to return. Typical day was making sure all nurse's assignments were in Epic per charge and processing all HUC tasks

Fast paced environment, horrible company to work for

There were definite favorites in our small department, a couple of us went above and beyond our ‘job description’ with no notice or appreciation (financial and/or verbal) from super/manager. Since we were a hospital our department had other duties we were told to preform as part of our job, those duties were not in the ‘job description’ and compensation was the same as a clinic only setting. A new supervisor was added to the department whom had never worked in a hospital setting before, only clinic, and never made any attempts to come to campus so we could show her. I will say I loved working at the hospital and coworkers were so nice and pleasant, just wished for different department.

Pros

Paid holidays

Cons

Short or no breaks/lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essentia Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Essentia Health with

• Essentia Health
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?