Essex Bank Employee Reviews

Unsatisfying and Confusing Environment
FSA I (Former Employee) –  RichmondApril 17, 2019
This community bank is rising from customer orient to sales orient. A toxic environment that doesn't treat employees very well and causes a high amount of turnover.I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here. .
Pros
Off Sundays
Cons
Management, Advancement, Flexibility
Poor management and crazy working environment
FSA I (Former Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAMarch 14, 2019
Poor management at the branch and a favoritism type of environment. Forced to work through many lunches. Very much so “a clickish”environment. Would not recommend the tappahannock branch but others may be ok.
Good hours and job security
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 28, 2019
Hardest part of the job for me was learning everything since i was brand new to banking and having to deal with not receiving any real help from my co-workers
Frustrating work environment
Vice President, Small Business Lending (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDJanuary 21, 2019
Very little communication from management. No clear goals. Everyone left the bank at the same time out of frustration. The bank is run from Richmond Virginia with no local management. The bank did not recognize any business outside of it's home territory. management was no trustworthy and continuously changed policies without notice.
Great place and small work environment
Loan Document Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 14, 2018
I love working at Essex Bank, the people are great and everyone is always wiling to help out. The CEO knows everyone by name and the atmosphere is a great one to work in.
Undervalue employees and no advancement
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond AreaNovember 8, 2018
Not a great company to work for. They do not take care of their employees and they do not look from within to advance. They try to get away with paying as little as possible and do not compensate for going above and beyond. Many times we are required to work through lunches due to constantly being understaffed. It takes forever for them to hire new people so branches can be understaffed for months and the amount of hours that you end up working becomes ridiculous for the amount of pay. When you do end up with overtime managers yell at you for having the overtime. It is a toxic place and I would not recommend anybody getting a job there. FSA's are expected to go well and above the expectations of their job description without proper recognition.
Not a stressful work place, This bank is not about numbers!
FSA (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 13, 2018
So far the best Executives, regional manager and branch officer ive ever had. Essex bank takes care of all the employees without exception. Overall, the best Bank that everyone will wish to work with. Recognizes an excellent work from all the employee.
Pros
Free lunch from the Manager and a special reward for a job well done.
Essex Bank
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDAugust 18, 2018
Essex Bank is a great job for someone first starting the workforce, my experience in this company was ok. Had to face racism and discrimination from time to time and they are not very aware of the labor laws.
Stressful and unappreciative work environment
Financial Service Associate I (Current Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAMarch 27, 2018
Manipulative and passive aggressive managers, extremely stressful work environment and no employment appreciation. Forced to skip lunches and stay late.
I really like working at Essex
eBank Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 21, 2018
There just isn't any room for advancement and that is what really saddens me. The CEO is awesome, so friendly and down to earth. I enjoy going into work everyday.
Small, slow and not well integrated
Workout Officer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2018
Essex Bank was formed by the purchase of six community banks, all or most of which were losing money at the time of purchase. Integrating the systems, policies, procedures and people proved to be a task that was beyond the capabilities of management to execute successfully.
Tough working environment
Lending Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDAugust 8, 2017
Maryland market is tough because the corp office is in VA.
I have request advancements frequently but never offered any such advancement.
Senior management rarely makes appearances
Raises are very minimum
Health insurance is overly expensive
great learning expiriance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 9, 2017
Essex Bank is a place where you gain experience, knowledge, and skills to take with you in life. I walked away with great customer service training and time management. I would recommend that bank to any prospecting card holders.
Flexible work place; Great team Players
Deposit Operations/ eCommerce Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 11, 2017
Great place to be employed; schedule flexibility. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Could use better training skils to train new employees or existing employees with new systems and/or products
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Opportunites for advancement
Teller/Loan Specialist I/ Verifier
Teller/Loan Specialist/Verifier (Former Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAJune 28, 2016
I would come into my office or cubicle and sign on to my computer and then go into our vault and pick up a bundle of documents that needed to be verified for that day. I would monitor calls throughout the day and emails throughout our loan department and help loan officers with customer questions. I learned how to multi task and use Microsoft Office, Excel and Outlook. The hardest part of the job was the fast pace. The most enjoyable part was being around your bank family and everyone working as a team to get things done.
Nice easy going place to work
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 19, 2016
Essex bank is a nice place to work with a laid back work environment, a lot of friendly co workers, and knowledgeable supervisors.
Credit culture
Senior Vice President - Commercial Lending (Former Employee) –  Rosedale, MDJanuary 19, 2016
Essex Bank developed a good credit culture in the Baltimore market. We are able to compete with our peer banks as well as large regional banks as well.
Nice small community bank
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 18, 2016
In my year at Essex Bank; I've noticed its a nice small community bank without the pressure of hard sales. Essex has a more relaxed work environment than most large banks.
Pros
Easy going work environment, friendly co workers, good benefits
Cons
short breaks, lower pay, no space for career advancement
Loan Operation Specialist 1
Loan Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 12, 2015
I pull reports each morning, review and verify loans (new, modifications, etc.), help customers with various things, I enjoy working there but need something more challenging.
Decent bank to work at
Financial Service Associate / FSA Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDSeptember 8, 2015
It's a good back to work at. There isn't a lot of room for advancement in the company because it's based out of VA so that can be difficult. I have been able to go from a Teller to a Financial Service Associate and have learned a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essex Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight