Essex Property Trust, Inc. Employee Reviews

new company takeover
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 7, 2018
Essex was firing everyone from BRE who they took over who ever worked for them before. They were not willing to help or relocate persons with time off or help them to find equal employment or qualifications elsewhere nearby.
Pros
Cons
bias
Unfriendly, Overbearing Residents
Resident Relations (Current Employee) –  Playa Vista, CAFebruary 12, 2018
My position is sedentary, and most of my responsibilities are clerical (answering phones, communicating via email, maintaining organized resident files, scheduling and confirming appointments, inputing and prioritizing maintenance request, assisting residents with common area reservations request, accepting and maintaining log of all incoming resident parcels, frequent use of the copy machine). Hardest part of the job is having to act with empathy towards the residents who are extremely rude, impatient, and seem to lack basic communication, understanding and compassion skills. They yell, curse, throw things , etc. and you just have to take it with a smile.
Poor management, poor mentor-ship, on call abuse
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJanuary 23, 2018
They worked me on call every day for months without relief even though we had meetings saying it was illegal and help was on the way. Managers lied about duties and expectations. Left alone much of the time with no backup or help or support.
benefits
Cons
24 hour a day 7 days a week 4-5 months in a row of on call.
Professional company
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2018
I had the pleasure of working with a national company that provided excellent training, supervision, professionalism, compensation and culture. I enjoyed working with a quality staff, management and was provided with excellent training in the industry.
Great job, great benefits
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Most days are spent answering phones and emails. Giving information about property and scheduling tour dates and times. Receiving work order requests and relaying them to maintenance team. Spend a lot of time making Craigslist ads and calling/emailing prospects trying to set up tours. Frequently touring the community with scheduled appointments and walk ins.

The hardest part about this job is time management, making sure you plan out your day accordingly in order to get everything done.

Most enjoyable thing about this job is meeting new people and showing them what we have to offer.
Pros
Discounted rent
Cons
Working weekends
Fun Company!
Leasing Specialist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tiburon, CASeptember 25, 2017
They really put the time into training there leasing consultants. They take chances hiring you without any experience. I loved the managers and regional managers too! Overall a fun place to work!
Pros
Well organized upper management!
Cons
Worked there for long time, Overall good
Property mgt position (Former Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 2, 2017
Benefits were outstanding!
Hourly wage lower end
Commissions okay
Some experiences with management were intimidating or left work place uncomfortable because when you work for a Large company, you don't have a voice. Human resources and approachable management could improve. But I would still recommend it to anyone. Benefits worth it
Benefits
Cons
You're a needle in a haystack
Can be fun
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 28, 2017
Essex is a good company to work but depends who you working with. If you have good employees working with you, it can be a fun and enjoyable environment. Management sometimes get stress and they can stress you a lot but I just recommend do your job and follow instructions and your job can be easy and you can enjoy it.
Pros
Free lunches, Christmas parties
Cons
some managers don't train well
Great place
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mukilteo, WAJune 2, 2017
This was a pretty decent place to work, they had nice benefits with pretty good employee appreciation. They showed innterest in taking care of their employees.
good company
Service manager (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMarch 26, 2017
Good company with a big portfolio. lots of room for growth if you are willing to relocate to areas that company has investments in. had a great time working for this company.
Helping others find their home
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Making packets
Set up for the day
Breakdown for the night
Pros
Cons
Slow pace at times
Warning
Associate (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 5, 2016
Essex is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! They will ruin your life.. Literally! I chose to leave my job that I once loved when I was a former BRE employee. I had never been so stressed out in my entire life. Stay away from this company! The property manager is a manipulating
habitual liar to employees as well as residents.
Nice people
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 29, 2015
I helped support the Irvine office. Everybody there were really nice. My manager was in San Francisco and he was pretty good. I was the only IT person in the office. I enjoyed working there but there was no advancement and the pay was not very good.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low pay. No growth.
An amazing company with great opportunity.
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CASeptember 29, 2015
A great environment that always provided what you needed and extra things to make your job a lot easier. The staff that I worked with was incredible and made it very easy to succeed in my position. Hardest part was trying to do too much all at once but I learned to prioritize and I am thankful for that. I loved helping people out and making their lives a lot easier.
Poor work environment. ..manager is unethical.
leasing (Former Employee) –  SoCalJune 6, 2015
The residents are terrific!
The daily routine all the staff is unhappy but need the pay check.
If you are looking for a cohesive work environment. ..I suggest to look elsewhere.
Pros
Working some where else.
Cons
On site Management
Superb Company!
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 8, 2015
Great Company to work for in great locations. Loved the staff.
Strong Property Management Company
Account Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2015
With BRE Properties I did have the opportunity to move to different locations and eventually to the corporate office. The company as a whole was run conservatively and has since been purchased by Essex.
Great Place to Learn about a Toxic Work Environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2014
I am surprised at the great reviews for Essex. My experience has been on the opposite realm of "Great Place to Work." Let me first state that I was a previous BRE employee that was able to stay on board after the merger. This may be the cause of my troubles as they seem to discriminate against us BRE employees.

At my property, a new employee was hired about 5 months ago. The first Essex picked hire. A month or so after the hire, the onsite BRE property manager was transferred and replaced by an Essex property manager. Thus, the issues began. Within 3 weeks of the new manager, a BRE employee of approximately 6 years was fired and the Essex hire was making inexcusable mistakes that were being swept under the carpet. Now in the past 2 months, the rest of the BRE alum have all been written up for either insubordination, not completing tasks, and working overtime to complete said incomplete tasks. And guess who has yet to get a write up? Yup the Essex-approved hire. I received a write up for doing my half of the work and not the Essex hire's. When I was asked why only half of the job was done, I stated that the Essex hire (who has been working 5 months) hadn't finished their half of the work. Well, I was reprimanded for not "working as a team" and "helping out." The Essex hire got off scott free. So I continually work overtime to complete all these tasks and fix the Essex hire's mistakes only to then get dumped with more work and written up for not doing more of their work! You're kidding me! Every day the new manager comes up with something new to "talk" to me about. They even
  more... brought up something that happened 8 months ago under BRE control about how I fail at POP card (cold-calling)!!! Clearly BRE didn't see that as a worthy strike against me. Needless to say I resigned before that manager had the pleasure of firing me.

I enjoyed working for BRE, but in the past 5 months my health has plummeted thanks to the constant stress of walking into the office and wondering if today was the day the manager had finally reached the limit of write ups and could fire me as they were so looking forward too.

Before you think that maybe I was just not good at my job. I was named one of the top picks for Leasing Consultant based on customer reviews and was honorably mentioned at a conference for property management in Southern California. Then, the new onsite manager came.....

One last thing, I tried calling HR and they were slow on responding, and the worst thing, I was told I was overpaid on a pay period that I worked 6 days a week which upon that paycheck I was significantly underpaid. I contacted Accounting about the situation and they took their sweet time getting back to me....while also still taking the money out for what they believed they overpaid me for.
Pros
Meet some good people
Cons
Management, Anyone hired by Essex, customer is always right belief
Productive and fun worplace dealing with a wide range of different cultures
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 26, 2014
Enjoyed working for this company for three years. Met a lot of different people
Great work environment
Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 15, 2014
BRE is an exciting place to work with great people and a fun & enthusiastic atmosphere. Expectations are set when you sign on the dotted line so there is no grey area in your job description. Training and furthering education are some of BRE's main focuses for their employees.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great people
Cons
poor healthcare plan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essex Property Trust, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Essex Property Trust, Inc. Reviews by Location