Essex Property Trust, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company to Work For!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 29, 2018
Worked in property management for some time. Essex is definitely better than other companies in my option. I liked my last company and enjoyed working for them but Essex is by far better, they really treat their residents and employees well.

I haven't really had any issues with other people in the company. Everyone seems really nice so far. I read some of the other reviews saying managers are not nice. That will happen every now and then where people just don't get along. I don't really think that's Essex fault. Even upper level management (ie. Area Managers and Regional Managers) have been amazing so far. All the managers seem to take interest in you. Essex wants their employees to move up within the company.

I guess there are more reports than other property management companies but they're not hard at all.

I do wish there were more properties. One reason I would leave the company would be if there were no opportunities for advancement within my area, which can happen in this industry. Otherwise, I'd like to say with Essex for a long time.
Pros
Company has great culture.
Cons
Wish they had more properties and working weekends thats it really.
fun and exciting
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 10, 2018
I have been with essex for over 3 years and it has been good to work for them but just wanting to see what other opprutunities or available
I have been working at a community that has one 400 units for almost two years and want to move up in the company
They do provide you with the tools to do your job to some extent except when it comes to advancement
I believe they should provide you extra classes to advance your career
new company takeover
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 7, 2018
Essex was firing everyone from BRE who they took over who ever worked for them before. They were not willing to help or relocate persons with time off or help them to find equal employment or qualifications elsewhere nearby.
Pros
Cons
bias
Over all enjoyed working for Essex
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Tons of properties , always were able to make extra money , as you can imagine In this line of business there's months when it's really busy and than not as much but I really love the my co-workers and meeting new people and obviously making money with Essex I would have all of this
Pros
Money, commission
Cons
Had to work weekends
Unfriendly, Overbearing Residents
Resident Relations (Current Employee) –  Playa Vista, CAFebruary 12, 2018
My position is sedentary, and most of my responsibilities are clerical (answering phones, communicating via email, maintaining organized resident files, scheduling and confirming appointments, inputing and prioritizing maintenance request, assisting residents with common area reservations request, accepting and maintaining log of all incoming resident parcels, frequent use of the copy machine). Hardest part of the job is having to act with empathy towards the residents who are extremely rude, impatient, and seem to lack basic communication, understanding and compassion skills. They yell, curse, throw things , etc. and you just have to take it with a smile.
Poor management, poor mentor-ship, on call abuse
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAJanuary 23, 2018
They worked me on call every day for months without relief even though we had meetings saying it was illegal and help was on the way. Managers lied about duties and expectations. Left alone much of the time with no backup or help or support.
benefits
Cons
24 hour a day 7 days a week 4-5 months in a row of on call.
Professional company
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2018
I had the pleasure of working with a national company that provided excellent training, supervision, professionalism, compensation and culture. I enjoyed working with a quality staff, management and was provided with excellent training in the industry.
Great job, great benefits
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Most days are spent answering phones and emails. Giving information about property and scheduling tour dates and times. Receiving work order requests and relaying them to maintenance team. Spend a lot of time making Craigslist ads and calling/emailing prospects trying to set up tours. Frequently touring the community with scheduled appointments and walk ins.

The hardest part about this job is time management, making sure you plan out your day accordingly in order to get everything done.

Most enjoyable thing about this job is meeting new people and showing them what we have to offer.
Pros
Discounted rent
Cons
Working weekends
Fun Company!
Leasing Specialist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tiburon, CASeptember 25, 2017
They really put the time into training there leasing consultants. They take chances hiring you without any experience. I loved the managers and regional managers too! Overall a fun place to work!
Pros
Well organized upper management!
Cons
Worked there for long time, Overall good
Property mgt position (Former Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 2, 2017
Benefits were outstanding!
Hourly wage lower end
Commissions okay
Some experiences with management were intimidating or left work place uncomfortable because when you work for a Large company, you don't have a voice. Human resources and approachable management could improve. But I would still recommend it to anyone. Benefits worth it
Benefits
Cons
You're a needle in a haystack
Can be fun
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 28, 2017
Essex is a good company to work but depends who you working with. If you have good employees working with you, it can be a fun and enjoyable environment. Management sometimes get stress and they can stress you a lot but I just recommend do your job and follow instructions and your job can be easy and you can enjoy it.
Pros
Free lunches, Christmas parties
Cons
some managers don't train well
Great place
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mukilteo, WAJune 2, 2017
This was a pretty decent place to work, they had nice benefits with pretty good employee appreciation. They showed innterest in taking care of their employees.
good company
Service manager (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMarch 26, 2017
Good company with a big portfolio. lots of room for growth if you are willing to relocate to areas that company has investments in. had a great time working for this company.
Helping others find their home
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Making packets
Set up for the day
Breakdown for the night
Pros
Cons
Slow pace at times
Warning
Associate (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 5, 2016
Essex is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! They will ruin your life.. Literally! I chose to leave my job that I once loved when I was a former BRE employee. I had never been so stressed out in my entire life. Stay away from this company! The property manager is a manipulating
habitual liar to employees as well as residents.
Nice people
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 29, 2015
I helped support the Irvine office. Everybody there were really nice. My manager was in San Francisco and he was pretty good. I was the only IT person in the office. I enjoyed working there but there was no advancement and the pay was not very good.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low pay. No growth.
An amazing company with great opportunity.
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CASeptember 29, 2015
A great environment that always provided what you needed and extra things to make your job a lot easier. The staff that I worked with was incredible and made it very easy to succeed in my position. Hardest part was trying to do too much all at once but I learned to prioritize and I am thankful for that. I loved helping people out and making their lives a lot easier.
Poor work environment. ..manager is unethical.
leasing (Former Employee) –  SoCalJune 6, 2015
The residents are terrific!
The daily routine all the staff is unhappy but need the pay check.
If you are looking for a cohesive work environment. ..I suggest to look elsewhere.
Pros
Working some where else.
Cons
On site Management
Superb Company!
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 8, 2015
Great Company to work for in great locations. Loved the staff.
Strong Property Management Company
Account Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2015
With BRE Properties I did have the opportunity to move to different locations and eventually to the corporate office. The company as a whole was run conservatively and has since been purchased by Essex.