Essex Property Trust, Inc. Management reviews

Poor management
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 1, 2018
Poor management at the property I worked at. The l property manager constantly demanded things that weren’t possible because she didn’t understand the process and responsibilities of a maintenance tech.
Great Company to Work For!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 29, 2018
Worked in property management for some time. Essex is definitely better than other companies in my option. I liked my last company and enjoyed working for them but Essex is by far better, they really treat their residents and employees well.

I haven't really had any issues with other people in the company. Everyone seems really nice so far. I read some of the other reviews saying managers are not nice. That will happen every now and then where people just don't get along. I don't really think that's Essex fault. Even upper level management (ie. Area Managers and Regional Managers) have been amazing so far. All the managers seem to take interest in you. Essex wants their employees to move up within the company.

I guess there are more reports than other property management companies but they're not hard at all.

I do wish there were more properties. One reason I would leave the company would be if there were no opportunities for advancement within my area, which can happen in this industry. Otherwise, I'd like to say with Essex for a long time.
Pros
Company has great culture.
Cons
Wish they had more properties and working weekends thats it really.
Professional company
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2018
I had the pleasure of working with a national company that provided excellent training, supervision, professionalism, compensation and culture. I enjoyed working with a quality staff, management and was provided with excellent training in the industry.
Great job, great benefits
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Most days are spent answering phones and emails. Giving information about property and scheduling tour dates and times. Receiving work order requests and relaying them to maintenance team. Spend a lot of time making Craigslist ads and calling/emailing prospects trying to set up tours. Frequently touring the community with scheduled appointments and walk ins.

The hardest part about this job is time management, making sure you plan out your day accordingly in order to get everything done.

Most enjoyable thing about this job is meeting new people and showing them what we have to offer.
Pros
Discounted rent
Cons
Working weekends
Fun Company!
Leasing Specialist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tiburon, CASeptember 25, 2017
They really put the time into training there leasing consultants. They take chances hiring you without any experience. I loved the managers and regional managers too! Overall a fun place to work!
Pros
Well organized upper management!
Cons
Worked there for long time, Overall good
Property mgt position (Former Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 2, 2017
Benefits were outstanding!
Hourly wage lower end
Commissions okay
Some experiences with management were intimidating or left work place uncomfortable because when you work for a Large company, you don't have a voice. Human resources and approachable management could improve. But I would still recommend it to anyone. Benefits worth it
Benefits
Cons
You're a needle in a haystack
Can be fun
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 28, 2017
Essex is a good company to work but depends who you working with. If you have good employees working with you, it can be a fun and enjoyable environment. Management sometimes get stress and they can stress you a lot but I just recommend do your job and follow instructions and your job can be easy and you can enjoy it.
Pros
Free lunches, Christmas parties
Cons
some managers don't train well
Warning
Associate (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 5, 2016
Essex is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! They will ruin your life.. Literally! I chose to leave my job that I once loved when I was a former BRE employee. I had never been so stressed out in my entire life. Stay away from this company! The property manager is a manipulating
habitual liar to employees as well as residents.
Poor work environment. ..manager is unethical.
leasing (Former Employee) –  SoCalJune 6, 2015
The residents are terrific!
The daily routine all the staff is unhappy but need the pay check.
If you are looking for a cohesive work environment. ..I suggest to look elsewhere.
Pros
Working some where else.
Cons
On site Management
Great Place to Learn about a Toxic Work Environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2014
I am surprised at the great reviews for Essex. My experience has been on the opposite realm of "Great Place to Work." Let me first state that I was a previous BRE employee that was able to stay on board after the merger. This may be the cause of my troubles as they seem to discriminate against us BRE employees.

At my property, a new employee was hired about 5 months ago. The first Essex picked hire. A month or so after the hire, the onsite BRE property manager was transferred and replaced by an Essex property manager. Thus, the issues began. Within 3 weeks of the new manager, a BRE employee of approximately 6 years was fired and the Essex hire was making inexcusable mistakes that were being swept under the carpet. Now in the past 2 months, the rest of the BRE alum have all been written up for either insubordination, not completing tasks, and working overtime to complete said incomplete tasks. And guess who has yet to get a write up? Yup the Essex-approved hire. I received a write up for doing my half of the work and not the Essex hire's. When I was asked why only half of the job was done, I stated that the Essex hire (who has been working 5 months) hadn't finished their half of the work. Well, I was reprimanded for not "working as a team" and "helping out." The Essex hire got off scott free. So I continually work overtime to complete all these tasks and fix the Essex hire's mistakes only to then get dumped with more work and written up for not doing more of their work! You're kidding me! Every day the new manager comes up with something new to "talk" to me about. They even
  more... brought up something that happened 8 months ago under BRE control about how I fail at POP card (cold-calling)!!! Clearly BRE didn't see that as a worthy strike against me. Needless to say I resigned before that manager had the pleasure of firing me.

I enjoyed working for BRE, but in the past 5 months my health has plummeted thanks to the constant stress of walking into the office and wondering if today was the day the manager had finally reached the limit of write ups and could fire me as they were so looking forward too.

Before you think that maybe I was just not good at my job. I was named one of the top picks for Leasing Consultant based on customer reviews and was honorably mentioned at a conference for property management in Southern California. Then, the new onsite manager came.....

One last thing, I tried calling HR and they were slow on responding, and the worst thing, I was told I was overpaid on a pay period that I worked 6 days a week which upon that paycheck I was significantly underpaid. I contacted Accounting about the situation and they took their sweet time getting back to me....while also still taking the money out for what they believed they overpaid me for.
Pros
Meet some good people
Cons
Management, Anyone hired by Essex, customer is always right belief
best company to work at
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Great Company, I worked for 6 years with BRE. I have to tank BRE because it's where I became superintendent and I learned basically everything that I know regarding construction management
Pros
great salary, great bonus
Good Place to work
Administrative (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 31, 2012
Company is cutting edge and continually changing with trial and error.
Pros
good benefits and incentives
Cons
micro management