Essex Property Trust, Inc. Employee Reviews

Poor work environment. ..manager is unethical.
leasing (Former Employee) –  SoCalJune 6, 2015
The residents are terrific!
The daily routine all the staff is unhappy but need the pay check.
If you are looking for a cohesive work environment. ..I suggest to look elsewhere.
Pros
Working some where else.
Cons
On site Management
Superb Company!
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 8, 2015
Great Company to work for in great locations. Loved the staff.
Strong Property Management Company
Account Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2015
With BRE Properties I did have the opportunity to move to different locations and eventually to the corporate office. The company as a whole was run conservatively and has since been purchased by Essex.
Great Place to Learn about a Toxic Work Environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2014
I am surprised at the great reviews for Essex. My experience has been on the opposite realm of "Great Place to Work." Let me first state that I was a previous BRE employee that was able to stay on board after the merger. This may be the cause of my troubles as they seem to discriminate against us BRE employees.

At my property, a new employee was hired about 5 months ago. The first Essex picked hire. A month or so after the hire, the onsite BRE property manager was transferred and replaced by an Essex property manager. Thus, the issues began. Within 3 weeks of the new manager, a BRE employee of approximately 6 years was fired and the Essex hire was making inexcusable mistakes that were being swept under the carpet. Now in the past 2 months, the rest of the BRE alum have all been written up for either insubordination, not completing tasks, and working overtime to complete said incomplete tasks. And guess who has yet to get a write up? Yup the Essex-approved hire. I received a write up for doing my half of the work and not the Essex hire's. When I was asked why only half of the job was done, I stated that the Essex hire (who has been working 5 months) hadn't finished their half of the work. Well, I was reprimanded for not "working as a team" and "helping out." The Essex hire got off scott free. So I continually work overtime to complete all these tasks and fix the Essex hire's mistakes only to then get dumped with more work and written up for not doing more of their work! You're kidding me! Every day the new manager comes up with something new to "talk" to me about. They even
  more... brought up something that happened 8 months ago under BRE control about how I fail at POP card (cold-calling)!!! Clearly BRE didn't see that as a worthy strike against me. Needless to say I resigned before that manager had the pleasure of firing me.

I enjoyed working for BRE, but in the past 5 months my health has plummeted thanks to the constant stress of walking into the office and wondering if today was the day the manager had finally reached the limit of write ups and could fire me as they were so looking forward too.

Before you think that maybe I was just not good at my job. I was named one of the top picks for Leasing Consultant based on customer reviews and was honorably mentioned at a conference for property management in Southern California. Then, the new onsite manager came.....

One last thing, I tried calling HR and they were slow on responding, and the worst thing, I was told I was overpaid on a pay period that I worked 6 days a week which upon that paycheck I was significantly underpaid. I contacted Accounting about the situation and they took their sweet time getting back to me....while also still taking the money out for what they believed they overpaid me for.
Pros
Meet some good people
Cons
Management, Anyone hired by Essex, customer is always right belief
Productive and fun worplace dealing with a wide range of different cultures
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 26, 2014
Enjoyed working for this company for three years. Met a lot of different people
Great work environment
Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 15, 2014
BRE is an exciting place to work with great people and a fun & enthusiastic atmosphere. Expectations are set when you sign on the dotted line so there is no grey area in your job description. Training and furthering education are some of BRE's main focuses for their employees.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great people
Cons
poor healthcare plan
Nice place to work.
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 25, 2013
Comfortable environment. It was an easy place to work without too many distractions and a personalized working space.
Pros
Fun working environment.
Cons
Lack of advancement.
best company to work at
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Great Company, I worked for 6 years with BRE. I have to tank BRE because it's where I became superintendent and I learned basically everything that I know regarding construction management
Pros
great salary, great bonus
Good Place to work
Administrative (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 31, 2012
Company is cutting edge and continually changing with trial and error.
Pros
good benefits and incentives
Cons
micro management
Get to meet new people everyday.
Property Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 24, 2011
Work for Essex for 3 years and found that some managers aren't poeple persons.
Pros
the corperate office is a dream.
Cons
onsite managers need more trianing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Essex Property Trust, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.