Play YouTube video button

Featured review
Estes Express Lines selected this as a representative review
Estes is a successful Less than Truck Load company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNJanuary 29, 2019
A typical day at work would involve coming to work, finding truck, preforming a pretrip inspection and picking up paper work from dispatch, verifying trailers, hooking up and preceding to my destination. Drop trailers, pick up another set and return home.
Pros
Good pay, dedicated route
Cons
Odd hours
Below average company to work for
Hub Driver (Current Employee) –  MidwestMarch 23, 2019
This company tries to make it sound like you will make good money, but you spend more time at work not getting paid. Waiting on terminal to dispatch you. You can sit for hours not getting paid. If you get a good run, it can be ok. But that can change at rebid. Hub drivers are treated like second class citizens. For some reason your base pay is what they pay you on the dock, which is a lot less than driver pay. All benefits are based on this. Vacation. Disability. Workmen’s comp. they do whatever they can to pay you less. DONT TRUST MANAGEMENT
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
They are scam artists No maintained equipment. They are very cheap to spend money
I wouldn't go back there.
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 23, 2019
There was a lot of tension at work. The manager had a favorite worker whom everybody knew about. The favorite worker was the only one taken out to lunch with the manager. She didn't have to answer the phone, and she never got into trouble. It was very tense most of the time. There were only 3 people to answer the phones. We needed more people on phones, but men don't answer the phone.
Pros
insurance
Cons
stressful work environment
Fast-paced and hard working
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  West Middlesex, PAMarch 22, 2019
I learned how to operate a forklift and how to efficiently load and unload trailers. The hardest part of the job, I believe, is getting used to the controls of the forklifts. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the people that you are constantly working with
Pros
Paid lunch break
Place always kept busy.
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Emigsville, PAMarch 22, 2019
Starting there was delightful, my trainer was helpful in showing the ropes. The first few days people were generally helpful. After training they stopped helping, and wouldn't answer any questions I had.
Pros
Working there I got dental, and eye benifits.
Cons
11 to 13 hour shifts 6 days a week.
work atmoshere and attitude
Driver (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHMarch 21, 2019
Out of 50 people, 8 would work together. The MOST selfish, self-centered company I've ever worked for. Overall attitude was NOT to work 45 seconds more than someone else. The mindset was not teamwork, it was "us against them". The secret was to tell management "how awesome they were" and you were just blessed to be in their presence.
Not bad place to work if you just go and do your route go home
P/D Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2019
My fellow drivers and dock guys where awesome but mangers has no Clue what they where doing never did either job but try and tell how I should do yours no common sense
Pros
Good pay for them but not towards other companies good people I worked with
Cons
Medical was over priced mangers are dumb sh!ts
Very fast pace place to work for
Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 19, 2019
The LTL industry at ESTES is a never ending job... it's NOT an 8-5 job. Once in there as an Outbound Supervisor there is a lot of pre-planning to do for the night. It takes a lot of communication with Dispatch & Drivers to prep up for the night.

I learned to be a Team Player... there is NO "I" in Team. There is a lot of turn over in management. Therefore a lot of constant changes in how to do ones job. The workplace culture depended a lot on the "Terminal Manager" at that time. Sometimes "Good" sometimes "Bad". The hardest part of my job was the hours... it was never just 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of my job was the "Weekends" OFF!
Ltl
Yard Jockey/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  FultonMarch 18, 2019
Not a bad company to work for when comparing other LTL companies. Decent schedules with good pay. Management wasn't quite there, but we managed well. Would recommend
Stay Away
Class A CDL Driver-flatbed (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 12, 2019
Worked Flatbed account. 2-1/2 months in had me train a new guy in flatbed. Then cut my hours. Accuse me of wrongdoings,damaging customers property,then started giving 1 or 2 loads or no loads. Wanted me to break all the rules but threaten to write me up. Guy I trained was good friends with manager. Managers do not care. Tell you the rules but then they continuously to break them. Stay away from this dump. They will STRESS you OUT. Play favoritismPlanning your route for the day is horrible. Zig zagging. All they care about is truck tires rolling to make there pockets fuller. Your the operator of the slow rig but you will be controlled. No overtime until you reach 55 hours. Pays low hourly n by load. BEWARE- You have been warned.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Heartless
Lack of leadership
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 11, 2019
Management is definitely the worse, terminal manager lies all the time, no organization what so ever, no communication between management and the employees unless you did something wrong.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, culture, equipment
hot, dirty, fast pace job
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 11, 2019
First you start your shift by fighting over a forklift, if you're lucky enough to get one. Then you break freight from a trailer that is all jacked up because no one knows how to load properly. You're constantly getting yelled at and being told what you're doing wrong, never what a good job you're doing. In the summer its 120+ degrees in the trailers, no AC, no fans or misters. Nothing works here and everything is filthy and run down. You have multiple meetings a day just to hear the same thing over and over. Everything is always our fault and the management wont take any responsibility. No overtime till after 48 hours. There's no communication between the management and the supervisors. It's a 3 billion dollar corporation and the can barely provide us with the necessities.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
hot, dirty, no overtime till after 48 hours, poor management
Horrible and stressful place to work.
Driver (Current Employee) –  NJMarch 7, 2019
Dispatchers treat their drivers like slaves. Very rude and disrespectful. Rushing and hassle all the time, which risky for a driver who operates a tractor trailer.
Poor management. Can't wait to leave.
basic job
P&D Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 7, 2019
not much room for advancement, management is poorly trained, terminal manager does not believe in open door policy or allow time to talk to employees.
Pros
job stability
Cons
pay
relaxed and laided back
Dock Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 6, 2019
Worked at night,small crew,open doors on docks made it cold at night.Culture was good,hardest part was when someone was out,enjoyed that we could tailgate for gamecocks games when we were off because it is so close to Williams brice stadium.
Pros
relaxed atmoshere
Cons
very little breaks, hot and cold temperatures
Poor Managment at the Riverside terminal
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMarch 6, 2019
I worked there for almost two years. When I initially started there was an appreciative atmosphere where everyone seemed to love their jobs. We worked together and got what needed to be done, done. Fast forward a few months and management changes. Work piles up and daily there were meetings about mandatory OT and mandatory 6 days. During these meetings management would berate every employee for any millisecond of idle time and threaten to terminate anyone for even having their phone in their pockets.

Despite this negative culture at the riverside terminal, I endured and got paid. They pay very well. However one manager in particular would always find a way to write me up, despite it not being his department. He would go out of his way to find something and write me up for things previous supervisors and managers didn't write me up for. Then one day while asleep for work, the ATM called me and suspended me without giving me a reason. I called back and pleaded for an explanation and received nothing until I was called and terminated without an explanation.

To make a long story short. You will work, and you will hustle and you will get paid but they seemingly decide to clean house on the regular. I've seen it happen multiple times before it happened to me. The least they could have done is talked to me about why I was terminated. I gave a lot of my time and energy to this company and all for an abrupt termination over the phone and with no explanation whatsoever.
Pros
Good pay, great coworkers
Cons
favoritism, excessive OT, destructive attitudes from managament
produyctive place to work. no lay offs
city driver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 2, 2019
I Prayed for this job and it was GREAT! at first. Then the write up's
came. even during my off duty time I rated a company with a 1 star
rating, and they suspended me for giving that company (not Estes) a poor rating. Go figure
Pros
great pay and benifits, good equiptment
Cons
very poor managment
Good employer
Line Haul Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NC 27405February 25, 2019
Good employer.
Very predictable assignments, good team work environment.
Limited income scales for occupation.
Provides on the job training for those who are interested in driving career.
Stressfull
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 23, 2019
Management is very discriminatory they talk bad about people when they're not there. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do or how hard you work if your not part of their click you dont get work or appreciated they suck
Pros
Local
Cons
Unfair and ignorant
typical
Dock Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Hard work.

No room for advancement. When you hit the right position you kept there.

You'll hear the complaints but rarely hear the praise.

Strict "by the book" management style with rules that aren't applied to everyone equally.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
kiss your holidays good by
Great company
Local PUD dispatch - Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAFebruary 19, 2019
Real team atmosphere. The Estes family really takes care of their employees. The update the tractors every few years. Great pay and benefits. The upper management is truly professional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Estes Express Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight