Estrella Mountain Community College Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Great
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJune 12, 2018
Great lots of connections. Wish I could continue, but district made changes to teaching requirements. Lots of good teachers were let go because of these requirements. Experiences and training just in the specific arena are needed.
Pretty good all and all
Peer Mentor Intern (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJune 5, 2018
Pretty slow paced except for 2 days out of the week. A lot of times it's just helping lost students, making spreadsheets, and reminding your higher ups how to do their jobs.
Pros
A lot of employee appreciation
Cons
Hard to find full time work
Very Flexible Job
Welcome Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZMay 21, 2018
I was working at Estrella Mountain Community College as a student. I was given the freedom to change my schedule around to my classes to best benefit me. I was the front receptionist for the welcome center so I was able to assist students with any questions they had. I filed students paperwork and documented any files needed.
Great place to be
Assistant Director/Director (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZMay 5, 2018
I had a great job and great experience till the Dean decided to not communicate about his issue and concerns within the depart Campus President and Campus Director was great after a changes was made by the Dean it was NOT the same ..
Pros
great job and great President
Cons
Dean
Summary
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZApril 16, 2018
Great foot-in-the-door to community college teaching, but literally zero support or guidance. Managed to wing it for a year and did my best. .
Administrative secretary part time
Peer Mentor Intern (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZApril 12, 2018
It is pretty slow paced around here, but it can pick up. There is a lot of different personalities around. So it is best to just mind your business and work on your work.
Adjunct Instructors are liked, not loved.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZApril 6, 2018
I like working here. It is in my major, so all those years and tears of college are being put to good use.
If I could get a full-time slot, I'd really like it.
Pros
Most of the students are serious about their success.
Cons
I haven't been able to get in full-time yet.
Lots of discrimination
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZApril 3, 2018
The management discriminates against women, Caucasians, employees with disabilities. They ignored staff and students needs, they worried only about possibilities of lawsuits and never put students' needs 1st.
Fun place to work
Student worker /lab tech (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZDecember 7, 2017
This is a fun job for students very well balanced benefit are great for full time people. Management is very helpful. The job culture is diverse. Job security is great for students workers.
Productive, great work environment, and fexible hours
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZOctober 18, 2017
I've how to help other people on the spot and had to use a lot of critical and creative thinking. The hardest part is having to deal with other people's stress and concerns.
Good Starting Job
Fitness Ambassafor (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 22, 2017
My position was dependent on work study so I can't say much about the UPPER levels of administration but as far as the people I worked under they cared about us and did a lot for us that they didn't have to, I'll always appreciate that. However, they were also busy a good majority of the time. We had to learn to deal with problems ourselves.

This is especially true for Fitness Ambassador as our supervisor was a VERY VERY busy person. If he wasn't teaching a class, he was in a meeting. I learned to choose my questions carefully on the rare moments I could catch him so I could continue doing my job.

Our environment was constantly changing since the union was open to ALL students. Sometimes it would be SUPER NOISY other times it would be so quiet you'd forget people were in the building besides you. Students are mostly polite to us, I have no idea if thats because we have authority, if because we are students like them, or because they don't know whats going on half the time.

There's a bit of a disconnect between student ambassadors and fitness ambassadors. Student ambassadors usually have tougher jobs than fitness since they are expected to be representatives on a larger scale throughout the college. Despite all that we are told from the beginning that we need to be able to do each others jobs in the union since it's a joint effort. Regardless, Student ambassadors rarely seemed to know how to handle fitness tasks at all. I don't know if that is because of my coworkers specifically or if there's just a harder tension on student ambassadors in general so they don't feel
  more... fitness tasks are important. Either way, my time working there was spent feeling like I was on my own when there wasn't another fitness ambassador working with me.

What I enjoyed the most about the job was the interactions with people. Being in the student union meant you had to deal with students a lot. I got to meet interesting people. I even met someone who was combining quantum physics into their art. Absolutely fascinating! As I said before they were usually polite and I would love talking with them in my down time between tasks.People really appreciate what the ambassadors do in the student union. It always made me happy when I could help a student on a problem.

Overall, as a job, it was fun and a good way to get my feet wet as I hadn't had a paying job before in my life so I lacked experience.
Communication between coworkers wasnt awful but it felt like I had to solve most of my problems on my own when involving anyone other than another fitness ambassador.
It's a good position for someone who needs customer service experience but I'd honestly just say it's good as a starting job. Doesn't demand too much from you but always keeps you busy enough with a large variety of tasks.

Just a reminder: It's still a work study job
Pros
discounts, active environment, lots of socializing, variety of tasks
Cons
slow periods, busy management
Great environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 20, 2017
The support from your supervisors when it comes to doing the job and learning your job correctly is beyond on par. There was a lot of great communication and comradery. Such a great place to work.
The hardest part of the job was when it was slow. Then you have a bit of time on your hands and not a lot to do. But when it's busy, it's busy! Still a great place.
Pros
lots of free lunches or potlucks
Cons
some days are slow
Nice place to work
Adjunct Teacher (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 8, 2017
I was a part time Adjunct teacher paid on contract per credit hour. The hours that one could teach each semester depended on several things including State Budgets. The curriculum, books, and software were constantly changing which made advance planning more difficult. The people that work there are generally very nice.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Never knew what classes you would get from one semester to the next.
Productive, informative, helpful and efficient place to work.
EXCEL Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZAugust 2, 2017
Working here in different capacities has taught me a lot and is very beneficial not only in the typical ways such as salary and schedule but also in the extraneous information that I have learned.
Great Campus
Associate Director of Christian Challenge (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZMay 11, 2017
EMCC is an excellent campus! I would often visit here with my job at Christian Challenge. The environment and the people are incredible!
It is at a nice locations where there's tons of places around!
The EMCC environment is engaging and inspiring
Adjunct Faculty, Business Institute (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZMarch 21, 2017
Working at Estrella Mountain Community College (EMCC) is an engaging and uplifting experience. My colleagues are warm, friendly and supportive. The students are dynamic and show a willingness to learn. Many are first generational relative to higher education and almost all work while attending school.
yay!
STUDENT SERVICES SUPPORT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZMarch 15, 2017
This is a wonderful place to grow as a professional. The opportunity in this organization is phenomenal. I highly recommend expanding your career with this organization!
Great job for student workers
Business Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZ 85392November 25, 2016
The staff at Estrella Mountain Community College go out of their way to accommodate student schedules. They understand life happens and are flexible with sudden schedule changes.
Pros
Flexibility and great with school schedule
Cons
Limited hours (for student workers) minimal pay
open to all
Adjunct Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 5, 2016
I do enjoy working at EMCC, they are always improving a new ideas and education for staffs and students.

I work there two time a weeks teaching two classes, I only wish it was a full time job and benefit provided as well
Fun and great place to work
Police aide (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZDecember 7, 2015
The kids were great to coach. the staff made my job fun and easy every day that I was there. I loved going to work everyday. I would recommend anyone to work there if they were able to.