Ethos Laboratories Employee Reviews

Helping More Patients
Operations (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYFebruary 10, 2019
The company goal at Ethos is to help more patients. One of the best parts about working at Ethos is that EVERY person in EVERY position contributes to that goal. We are a part of something that no other lab in the country is doing by looking at functional biomarkers of pain, finding abnormalities that could be causing or worsening a patient's pain, and identifying non-opioid solutions. In addition to that, the benefits are great! PTO plus Sick Time, 401k 6% company match, competitive salary, performance-based bonus, great med/dental/vision plans, monthly birthday celebrations, annual Cincinnati Reds game outings, access to Cincinnati Cyclones tickets, and an employee engagement committee that puts together awesome events, such as the Chili Cook-Off, Lab Week, Cupcake Wars, holiday cook-outs or carry-ins, Halloween decorating and costume contests, volunteering opportunities, Pet Adoption events, and so much more! Most supervisors/managers have an open-door policy and are eager to listen to your ideas when you bring them forward. Sometimes there is a lot of work that has to be done in a short amount of time. This can be stressful, but with the collaboration between our awesome teams, we get through it.
Pros
Company Mission, Collaboration, Core Values, Pay/Bonus, PTO/Sick Time, 401k, medical/dental/vision plans, events
Cons
Sometimes very busy, not a good fit for those who can't handle being busy sometimes
Lots of changes recently
Employee (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYOctober 8, 2018
Overall, historically a good organization.

For the most part, the content of the other reviews for Ethos are accurate. However, there have been many changes recently and none of them have been positive.

For example, there has been a sharp decline in the benefits offered and a general discontent about the pay this year.

There is an active and prevalent clique within the organization, but that's not uncommon when employees are left to their own devices.

There's a model that testing laboratories must follow in order to be successful. Ethos doesn't follow that model, so I always wondered how they did it. Turns out, they are quickly making changes in order to get to a profitable path and that is difficult for current employees.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Employees feel devalued
Leadership Fails in this Company!
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYSeptember 10, 2018
Owners and most leadership don’t work together, and don’t even seem to like or respect each other. Core values which they stress mean nothing at the top. Employees don’t know what’s going on most the time or know who makes decisions. Not sure my manager runs my department, or a female member of management does and the company. Confusing! You can turn around any given day and find at least a half dozen looking for jobs or find out they got rid of another person who cared about their job and was great at it. I think pay is on the low end and benefits have gotten worse over time. Heard stories of what’s coming. I don’t want to work so hard, sometimes weekends to get the same or less. Not the job or the company I signed up for.
Pros
Some caring people. Too bad really. Make attempts at doing things for employees like free lunches.
Cons
Little leadership, people in general not appreciated or respected, very clicky including management, a lot of angry and unhappy people .
Great pay and people
PRN Medical Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Brazil, INJuly 12, 2018
I enjoyed working here tremendously. They are caring people. Pay and hours are excellent! Supervisors are always available and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend this job!
Not for me
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYJuly 2, 2018
This place just wasn't for me. Managers seemed to be very judgmental and closed off. I think the company has grown too fast too soon and will face some difficult challenges ahead. Stress levels were high across the board. Not the kind of place I want to work at.
Pros
location
Cons
divisiveness between departments, long hours, one mistake and you're fired
Going above and beyond for employees
Lab Assistant/specimen collector (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYJune 25, 2018
Great understanding and trying to help Employees. Very hands on with employees. Upper management always responds to e-mails and or phone calls. Respectful to employees.
Pros
The whole company
Cons
Far from Louisville offices
Great Coworkers, Horrendous Management
Billing Department (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYJune 12, 2018
In the billing department at least, the manager is nearly nonexistent. When she does appear it's never with a smile or any good news. If you go to her with a personal complaint expect a multitude of promises that will never be fulfilled. Most of the people in the department as a whole are amazing, but the manager makes it difficult to bear working here. The department being a "revolving door" is a running joke for anyone working here over 6 months, because so few last that long. HR is split, with some being helpful and caring and others who just use humor to hide the fact that they couldn't care less about you. Overall the company is great if you need something short term but beyond that... Avoid it.
Pros
Decent benefits, birthday lunch
Cons
Inept, worthless management
Decent Lab
Extraction Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYMay 29, 2018
Ethos is a decent place to work and the environment is good. HR generally listens to your complaints but it's the managers that shine, provided you get lucky enough to have one that started low and worked up.
Producttive and fun place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2018
Good company to work for although it was a contract company it didn't offer long term assignments to allow for job stability. Staff friendly/helpful.
Growing Pains
HR ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYFebruary 1, 2018
This is a lab production environment, with a very young workforce and Leadership Team. They are going through some growing pains, as they have grown very rapidly in their very short time (6 years). With a more experienced leadership team, this company could do very well.
Pros
Paid benefits, generous 401K match
Cons
Poor leadership
Growing Pains isn't a catchall excuse...
Certifying Scientist (Toxicology) (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYDecember 9, 2017
Ethos Laboratories is a company with great values. However, these ideals are not practiced. If you're salaried, expect to work 45-50 hours a week. This however is offset by having a nice benefits package.

The management is almost non-existent, it seems they get cycled out or burn out every few years. If you have personal issues, expect them to be waived indefinitely.

Overall, this is a good starting job company. If you're wanting to progress further in the field of Toxicology this is a good company to start at. However, do not expect to work your way up here, there's a few "lifers" at the company who will squash those ambitions. Work here, grab some references, and then move on.
Pros
Good Benefits
Fun and rewarding place to work.
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYSeptember 20, 2017
I really thought the Doctor's office I worked in was a family like environment. The doctor was a man that wanted to help drug addicts to get off drugs and I enjoyed working in that office .I even traveled to get into that office.. It was an hour away to commute both ways, but because of the people I worked with I didn't mind traveling to work . I even went in very bad weather.... The office was a great place to work. It was one doctor , one Nurse Practitioner, 3 medical assistants and me the phlebotomist/urine collector for those who are detoxing off heroin. That was a great job. I left because of relocating to Chicago.
Pros
all pharmacy reps paid for lunch
Cons
sometimes no break at all. constantly on my feet.
Job security is not promised
billing specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYAugust 8, 2017
Paid hour lunches, very relaxed environment, welcoming people, do a lot for their employees, but you have no job security leaving you on constant edge.
na
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Orange, OHJuly 31, 2017
Maintained confidentially of all client info in accordance with HIPPAA guidelines.
Customer service and detailed oriented
professional environment dependable
Not a place to stay for long, good experience to get but move on
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYMay 20, 2017
I loved Ethos for a year and a half. Changes were made and management was changed in my department. A new lead was put into position and She worked very hard to discourage and get rid of people with more time with the company. She was rude and spent time gossiping about other co-workers when someone was hired that she liked. I would not recommend working there. Management as a whole cannot be trusted. HR was strictly management and did not care or understand what was going on. The owners are blind and stupid when they think The sun rises and sets in certain employees.
Pros
paid lunch breaks
Cons
management
A company where I feel valued
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYJuly 10, 2016
I worked in the same department as some people on here who complained about this company. They were probably not showing up for work and putting alot or work on others or was one who was loud and distracting and then walked out and left work for others. If you show up for work and do your job and treat others with respect Ethos treats you fair and decent. It can be clicky and departments don't always work together but all in all the company has been good to me and I am happy to work here. I look forward to going to work. One thing I wished they change is how long they expect employees to put up with others who don't do their share!!
Pros
Pay all my benefits, Good pay, Lots of celebrations for employees.
Cons
Need more teamwork, Managers don't know what's going on in the company sometimes or they don't tell us
Unhealthy work environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYJune 16, 2016
This company is an awful place to work. For starters, if they dislike someone, they will look for ways to get rid of that person. Management are extremely unprofessional. The company is so small so there is tons of gossip. The only good thing about this place are the benefits and they aren't even worth it for what you have to put up with working with these people. There are plenty of great companies in the area, stay clear of this place and look elsewhere!
Pros
Benefits/pay
Cons
People
Great Company to work for
Phlebotomist/ Colletions technician (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 31, 2016
I loved working for Ethos laboratories. Both my territory manager and my division manager were wonderful to work for, they made the job worth it. I enjoyed getting to know patients in the facility I was placed.
Pros
Great compensation/benefits
Cons
Job security is not promisede
Assistant
Lab assistant / data entry (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYJanuary 22, 2016
Very small company and very clicky..if you don't fit in with the click you feel the dislike in the air..the owner is fantastic! If he would fire everyone below him and start over with the staff the company would be good to work for.
Pros
Incenatives are amazing
Cons
Co-workers & lack of work
Very good working environment and people
IT Liason (Former Employee) –  Newport KentuckyOctober 19, 2015
Very good working environment and people, complex systems and a challenging place to work. There is a very large opportunity to learn and to grow there.