Ethos Veterinary Health

Ethos Veterinary Health Employee Reviews

United States39 reviews
Interesting work place
There could be some improvements with management and the way issues are handled between staff and vets and/or management. It is very cliquey and can wear at you. The work place culture does need an overhaul.
Pros
Benefits, Pto
Cons
Short breaks, No support with inter hospital issues, pay
One of the worst places I could have chosen to work.
I was so excited when I finally got this job due to my love of animals and background in customer service. Everything in the beginning sounded and looked great, everything appeared to be exactly what I wanted and was looking for in a workplace. I was thrilled to work for a seemingly well established veterinary hospital!

Upon being hired, I was greeted with the most disorganized training I've ever had. No one knew what was going on, I kept getting thrown into queues I was not trained on and left to figure it out alone. Supervisors are the least helpful people in the building, and quite frankly are not fit to be supervisors. Compared to any place I've worked before, I've never seen such poor management. They wonder why people continue to leave, or interview and never come back.

There is no job security - people have disappeared left and right, either fired or they quit. I feel anxiety about my job security daily.

Metrics don't make sense; supervisors can't tell you what one or the other mean or how it breaks down, only that you need to work on it.

Breaks are incredibly short and randomly spaced out. I can go for four hours with one ten minute break, which is quite frankly not even long enough to clear your mind.

Your coworkers will rarely speak to you, you will feel like you're alone through most of this.

It's a busy work environment, which I thrive in, but lack of management and zero rewards for the hard work you do makes this job feel lacking in all aspects. If you like animals and customer service, there are much better options out there. I feel as if I
 - more...
Well Managed & Room for Growth
Veterinary Specialty Hospital in San Marcos was a great hospital to work at. The hospital was well managed, and I felt like they chose their team leads really well. I was always surrounded by coworkers that inspired me to be better, and encouraged growth. I have to say that at a place like this, you get out of it what you put into it. I wish I didn’t have to move away. I’d go back in heartbeat if I lived there.
Keep your eyes open
Benefits keep getten taken away but they want you to put in 150%. Loved the coworkers but management needs some work. My advice:Take care of your employees and they will stay.
Worst place I have ever worked.
It’s unorganized, the “leadership” team yells profanity constantly, the policy’s and procedures literally change weekly.

If you want to be proud of your job avoid this lab.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Walk away
Many better choices,. Disorganized, cold and uncaring,stressful, ruthless. it all sounds lovely in the beginning, but it's not, unfortunately. The job itself is delightful, but nobody can work under the way the run the place. I heard it's gotten even worse, which is almost unimaginable. Glad I left when I did. Flipping burgers beats that place
Very busy environment
Every day is very busy with no down time. The hardest part of the job is hearing of a very sick or deceased pet. There is not a lot of positive reinforcement.
A Great Environment to Learn and Grow
I have been at Mass Vet Referral Hospital for over five years. During this time I have met and worked with so many intelligent, driven people who truly care about each other and our patients. The mentorship and growth opportunities are above and beyond what I have experienced at any other business before. I've always felt supported and have learned so much in the past five years. There is never a dull moment, so if you enjoy a fast-paced, busy work environment you will feel right at home!
Pros
Great coworkers and leaders
Wonderful place to work
Love this place. Everyone here is motivated to give amazing care and help clients and patients the best they can. Definitely is tougher, given the nature of it being an ER hospital but worth it if you're up to it.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
tough cases
Very Poor Management
Threatening and inappropriate communication by management. Unfounded accusations made. Terrible at training, but claim that they train. No standard operating procedures available.
Pros
Some paid holidays. Some friendly staff other than management. Hope you help an animal.
Cons
The cons are endless.
Encourages personal and professional goals.
I have been with the company for over 10 years. My roles have changed with my personal and professional goals. Not only has that been allowed, but also encouraged. I recently transferred from one of the smaller hospitals to one of the larger hospitals to expose myself to a larger volume of cases in the hopes of obtaining a VTS in anesthesia and analgesia. I have been supported and encouraged all along the way. I am truly grateful to the company for the opportunities they have provided to me.
Great Medicine, Great People
Overall a great place for advanced medicine. If you want to do more as a tech this is the place to be for it. Doctors rely on the techs to use their skills, other techs teach you, they have opportunities to advance. It is emergency/specialty so sometimes it gets busy but at least you know busy is job security! Supervisors/Managers know it gets busy and it's tough work so they do fun stuff to help lighten the mood when they can. Tech week in October is always celebrated with food and games and each month they pick someone to appreciate for their hard work. It may be little stuff but it helps make you feel valued. I think the hosp gets a bad rap sometimes because people get burned out in vet med and get frustrated. Because of that the Woburn location I work at added social worker who can help you with tough cases or tough clients which is a HUGE plus you don't find often in vet med.
If you are looking for a job, go elsewhere
Terrible place to work. People are rude and judgemental, not to mention the lack of supervisory experience. The supervisors do not care. Middle and upper management take situations, turn them around and blame you for things that you have no control over. Your work hours get changed constantly. Not to mention that the techs and vets are rude as well.
Benefits
Cons
Capital district veterinary referral hospital
Let me just say this. It’s been a few years since I worked there, but the experience as a whole is still incredibly haunting.

From the get go things seemed a bit sketchy. I was hired almost on the spot. I had some experience from a family run practice, so it wasn’t like I was going in with nothing. I was also doing an online vet tech program. I did everything I could to try and succeed while I was there. However, it felt as though I was the only one trying. I was constantly being given different directions. They state in their job as they’re eager to train, but that was a joke. I was barely trained- they showed me how to clock in and out, nothing else. When I had a question, I was made to feel stupid for asking. I gave up holidays, weekends, and time with my child I was promised from the interview I could have. The trip to wolburn was exciting and interesting; but that’s about it. Literally on my 90 day they let me go, and it was one of the most awkward and horrible mornings I’ve ever had. When I came in the office that morning everyone was silent and didn’t say hello or good morning. Which in hindsight; they KNEW. The fact that other staff members KNEW I was being let go before I did. As if it was office gossip. I felt so hollow and uncomfortable. It was three weeks before Christmas. The conversation was basically “you’re an at will employee and we can no longer put in the time to train you”... ok? When did you bother training me In the first place? I was so distraught. The clinical manager reached over to me and said “well... at least you’ll have one check for Christmas!”
 - more...
Great place to work and advance your career
Ethos is a great place to work. My favorite part of my job is the people I work with on a daily basis. They are a very collaborative environment and I always felt heard by my manager and my team. The leadership is still working on their communication throughout all the locations, but they do this great monthly call where the leaders share a 1 minute update on their hospital or department so you get a quick understanding of what's happening across the organization. It made me feel a little more connected to the rest of the company.

The only thing I would recommend to people considering a career is that you need to advocate for yourself. Managers are very willing to listen as long you tell them what you need.
Veterinary Emergency and Referral Center by Ethos is awful
I highly recommend that you look elsewhere for employment.
My experience was as follows:

1. Management was indifferent and apathetic to the struggles of the staff. Some examples are: Shortage of staff, Toxic work culture, Exhaustion and burn out, etc.

2. Favoritism is a thing at this clinic. Rules are enforced for some, but not others.

3. The stress level at this clinic is unnecessarily high. We were often expected to “make due” with what we had with little to no accountability on the part of management for shortcomings.
Do not think about working here if you're support staff!
Work environment is horrible. Stressful, understaffed, micromanaged and management is full of bullies and snakes. Work life balance is a zero, you could have lost your leg or been in an accident and they'll ask you if you can still cover your shift. Believe me, you can do better! Cannot comment on what work environment for medical team is like. The plus side is good colleagues and reduced price veterinary care.
Cons
Assigned breaks, micromanagement
Don't believe anything they tell you
This place is super cliquey. If you aren't one of the picks you might as well forget it. They pretend to be flexible and then refuse flexibility. If you are being harassed don't bother telling management. They will look for a way to make it about you.

You will be working holidays and all weekends. You will be working by yourself after everyone leaves for the night. I was told in the interview they would try to have two techs on. They will tell you that no one is applying. The truth is they only hire people they like. Which means you won't be getting any help. I regret having taken a job here.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, favoritism, picky, petty, dishonest, unsupportive
A progressive place for specialty medicine
I have felt very supported as a doctor with Ethos. Very supportive culture and progressive medicine. The company is very focused on employee growth and learning and development. There are ample opportunities for advancements
Compassionate Employees
People who work for Ethos - doctors, technicians and client care - absolutely care about the patients and clients. They do their best to treat every patient with compassion.
Pros
Great colleagues and intention.
Cons
Difficult upper management.
Stressful
It's not a terrible place to work, but I wouldn't recommend it. A lot of arrogant Veterinarian's and Vet Tech's and sadly you have to contact them and their departments regularly. My father is an Orthopedic Surgeon so I grew up knowing a lot about the medical field pertaining to human health. But I was shocked at the arrogance in the animal field of medicine. You will be spoken to like you are dirt beneath their feet for just doing your job. Only a few departments you contact to transfer calls to will treat you respectfully, all the other's are very rude. The clients that call in are not that bad honestly, most are very nice. It's your co-workers in the multiple departments that will make you regret taking this job. They will consider you beneath them cause you aren't a Vet or Vet Tech and speak very rudely to you. Do yourself a favor and go work at a hospital that values ALL employees instead.
Pros
401k, Four day work week, Pto
Cons
One 30 minute break and the arrogance of some co-workers
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ethos Veterinary Health. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
4.2Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight