EVANSVILLE COURIER & PRESS Employee Reviews

Educational and a fun work environment.
District manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 29, 2018
The job I had educated me more on responsibility and communication skills.. It was a great job, except for the hours.The most enjoyable part of working for the Courier and Press was that I was on my own driving with no boss standing over me. I learned that you had to be very responsible since you did not have a boss that was around everyday.
Pros
Driving on your own, being one of two managers in the distribution center.
Cons
The hours were 2 am to 11 am.
Ability to adapt is a must have
Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 4, 2018
I've had the opportunity to learn, grow and develop over the years with this company. We've experienced a lot of change through the years with less people doing more. The employees work hard to put out a quality product for the public. Company focus is continually changing and people are adapting to fit the business model.
Pros
Good benefits
Don't try to be a contractor
Private Contractor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYOctober 10, 2017
When your a private contractor you deliver papers 7 days a week, even holidays. The management dealing with the paper delivery at the Gleaner is horrible.They will talk about you and make fake complaints against you and you will be charged for those complaints. The papers will never arrive at the time they tell you. They will lie to your customers and put all blame on you. They will fire you for anything. High turn over rate.
The best part of it is the customers. Most customers will make you feel like family.
Pros
Customers like family.
Cons
No days off. Have to work on Holidays. Deal with mean managers. Fake complaints against you.
I loved working there.
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 5, 2017
I haven't worked there in 10 years. As much as I enjoyed working there, the environment was an entirely different situation. I was gone even before the 1st lay off, so I don't know that my review can really give much insight. The employees were WONDERFUL! I still miss them. The newspaper even has new owners now, so my viewpoint is lacking current information.
Pros
People, I just loved it. I'd have never left.
Cons
My boss played favorites. He never listened.
friendly co-workers
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 21, 2017
I had fun working at the ECP. The way the paper is processed is amazing . Just to see how it goes from a blank roll of paper to the ink on the paper with the stories and articals printed and the folding of the paper when it gets to the ending of the line to be shipped out in the trucks to the final destination
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
the food in the vending machines priced to high, most of the time short of workers, communication is poor, fork lifts are never put on charge after each shift
Self employed
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jasper, INFebruary 23, 2017
It's a very time consuming job, as you deliver 7 days a week the Press takes no Holidays. You must be very meticulous in keeping your route sheets updated. Or you can be fined. The job takes no time Mon thru Sat, Sundays are your longest day. You do meet some good people
Pros
The hours
Cons
7 days a week
Good place to work for
Credit/Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 23, 2016
Advertising credit department approving customers for billing. Handle all advertising invoices. Handled all credit card charges and refunds. Handled customer inquiries regarding their account, Had a great great bunch of ladies to work with.
Pros
Prepaid advertising
Cons
correcting charges for errors on account
Decent Place to work
Mailer Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 14, 2016
In my department most people get along and help each other out. Most people are hired in part time and the pay ok. Overall the people on day shift are easy to get along with.
Pros
7 hour shifts, foreman can be easy to get along with
Cons
pay raise freeze, foreman can get onto you for minor things for no reason
Great
Metro Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 12, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the Evansville Courier & Press for my internship last year. The staff was helpful and I learned a lot within a short period of time.
Great paper
Intern Reporter (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 16, 2016
Great paper, wrote a lot of features and articles, the editor encouraged me to come up with my own ideas. Oh my gosh, shut up, Indeed.
Great paper
Intern and Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 19, 2015
It was a nice paper. Lots of good people, and my editor really encouraged me to give input to the paper. I learned a lot about journalism from my internship here.
Pros
Work-out room
Cons
Uninspiring interior
Very productive and unsupervised.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 14, 2015
Nice place to work with supportive management. Several deadlines as one can imagine helps to keep me learn and grow. Lots of D.M.'s with great personalities to drop work on my desk every day.
Pros
Free papers, Insurance
Cons
No breaks, just lunch.
Courier & Press Evansville
Contractor, (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 16, 2014
Maintain daily records of inventory
Review and improve weekly logistics
Confirm product delivery for retention management
hostile work enviorment
Mailroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 11, 2013
union based work environment, employees that have been there for a few years wont show the new employees what to do and then scold them for not being involved in work activities
Pros
i have the scheduale i desire
Cons
not enough communicaton between co workers on finishbing the job-task
I liked it.
Advertising Copy input (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 7, 2013
I found many nice people worked there and I enjoyed the work.
liked being my own boss
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Evansville,InApril 30, 2012
Wasn't a bad job. Delivered newspapers on a daily basis. Hardest part of the job was delivering in bad weather.
Pros
being own boss
Cons
working 7 days a week...no days off
Boring workplace, bad hours.
Circulation Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 5, 2012
This job kept me just below full time to avoid giving me benefits (healthcare, vacation, time off, sick time, personal time, etc...) It was incredibly boring, but you did get to wear pajamas when you had to come in at 3 am on Sunday.
Pros
pajamas on super early shift
Cons
no actual breaks or lunch, no benefits for part time, worked pts up to 1/2hr below ft to avoid benefits.