Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation Employee Reviews

Culture of Disrespect
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 19, 2018
Early on in my career I loved my position with EVSC, but the culture of EVSC today is toxic. Teachers have very little autonomy and are supervised and micromanaged by those with much less experience and time in the classroom. Many schools have serious discipline problems and do not support the teachers in these matters. There are amazing students in every classroom that must be exposed to bizarre, inappropriate behavior by other students around them. The methods and philosophies adapted by EVSC involve blaming the classroom teacher instead of addressing and eliminating the real problems. In addition, the amount of paper work, planning protocol, required meetings and the tremendous amount of work teachers have to do, even for their own observations, far exceeds what I was paid for in my contract. Teachers stay for hours beyond the contracted day and work throughout the weekend. Experience and knowledge are not respected. I was told by one administrator that the teacher is no longer a source of knowledge, but a learning guide because children now have Google.
Pros
There are still some amazing students and families attending public schools.
Cons
The administration, starting with the superintendent, is anti-teacher.
Good Start for Techs - No advancement opportunities/low pay
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 26, 2018
Pros - You're pretty autonomous. As long as you get your work done, people usually don't bug you. Some teachers are worse than others. Good experience for starting techs. They'll hire anyone with or without a degree.

Cons - Pay is really low for what you do. Very high user to tech ratio. No advancement opportunities internally unless someone quits or is terminated. No scaling pay scale. No guaranteed yearly increase.
Substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 20, 2018
Substitute taught all grades in the EVSC district. I followed what the teacher that I was substitute for ask me to do. For the most part I worked at Reitz, North, Central, Helfrich Park, good students and good support staff.
Great retirement gig.
Lead Mechanic - Controls (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 1, 2018
No complaints about the job. Left for more money. You are pretty much left alone to do your job which is nice. VERY good work/life balance. Its a union shop but you dont have to join.
Cons
Have to hear a lot of complaining and grumbling
A very nice work environment and staff
School Nurse RN (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 12, 2018
The work environment was relaxed. Great staff and teamwork. The management was caring and always available. The hardest part of the job was not enough hours to complete all the days work.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
low pay, limited hours
Great job looking for more growth
Daycare Aid and After School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 30, 2018
looking for greater roles in company and more responsibility, need full time employment to maintain living conditions in local area. Would pursue different roles within company if offered
Pros
Great people
Cons
low pay
Helfrich Park School was great to work at.
Long Term Sub./Special Needs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 27, 2018
I enjoyed my boss and felt that the Principal and Vice Principal at the time supported my boss when needed. Being in a Special Needs classroom the school was great to work at. I do feel that the district really should pay the Special Needs Assistants a little more than what is offered. However, the teachers that allow the Special Needs to interact in their classes should include a teaching plan for them.
Pros
Great staff including Miss Wriston and her staff.
Cons
Pay
Fast-paced environment
Physical Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 6, 2018
While in any school corporation should have a total focus on student achievement, some focus should be shifted to employee performance, gratitude towards employees and more.
Teacher's attitudes
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 4, 2018
I subbed for EVSC,. stopped doing so because of the teacher's attitudes. When teachers spoke to you, if they spoke to you, it was like you were 5 or trying to include yourself in their club. Not a friendly environment at all. Principle doesn't introduce theirself, if you ask a question, you get a dirty look like you're inconveniencing them.
Pros
When the 3 o'clock bell rang
Cons
Waiting for the 3 o'clock bell to ring.
Great group of people to work with and for.
Daycare Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 2, 2018
In the morning I put stuff in the computer from the day before. Take the daycare kids to breakfast at 7:30 in the cafeteria. Get a cart out of toys, coloring stuff, and games for them to play with. That most kids are more honest than adults are. I really like the management team that I work for, they are easy to talk to about anything concerning the or personal. I have a couple kids that are the Jehovah Witnesses which when any holiday comes around we have to take them into consideration. The hardest part of the job for me is making the calls and telling parents that the owe money and if they don't pay their child/children cannot return to daycare until the balance is paid in full. The best part about the job is just being with the kids and playing with them and just talking to them.
Pros
Having a break in the middle of the day to run errands, make Dr's appointments, or anything else that I need to get done. Also the free clinic.
Cons
Not getting paid for spring break. Not getting paid for winter break. Wish the hourly pay was more.
After School Child Care Assistant
After School Day Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 6, 2018
This was a wonderful job! Was rewarding, and really enjoyed it!! I enjoyed my first graders and my Kindergardeners! Loved the hours; afternoons. I worked at Hebron Elementary in Evansville; wonderful school!
Pros
Was rewarding
Cons
No healthcare coverage!
All-in-all, an enjoyable experience
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 11, 2018
Interesting and somewhat challenging place to work. Driving a bus, in and of itself, is enjoyable. Add the task of managing the passengers - especially the younger ones - makes it a bit stressful, but still tolerable. Often received mixed signals from management regarding dates, assignments, and expectations, but these were usually resolved as the events unfolded.
Pros
Part-time work, full-time benefits. Field trips often include free meals or other perks.
Cons
No guarantee of summer employment. Not enough managerial input for student discipline issues.
Productive and fun place to work
FOOD LINE SERVER (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IN 47713December 30, 2017
Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere but being able to stay busy, excellent teamwork, coworkers were easy to work with, understanding of family and emergency situations
Substitute Teaching isn't a bad job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 3, 2017
Substitute teaching for the EVSC allows for flexibility, especially if you have young children, and you get to choose the school assignments you want to take based on what is posted. Pay could be higher but its a pretty job job if you enjoyed school and enjoy helping students.
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 5, 2017
Friendly group to work with; My supervisor at the time was great. Any time you work with a large number of employees it can be stressful, but with the Department manager we had it was easy to be positive and handle the unpleasant conversations with employees.
Working with fifth graders
Teachers aid (Former Employee) –  Elementary schoolJuly 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed the teachers that I worked with. They are great!! So sad that the principal has everyone in that building so intimidated and so scared. The job I had only paid $7.91/hour. That pay isn't even on the EVSC pay scale.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Management and the lack of respect for the teachers that he oversees.
great enviroment
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 27, 2017
60 days out of total calendar year from ten years  Maintain classroom discipline, and daily activities  Follow assigned teacher plans and Indiana State Teacher Guideline rules and regulations
Pros
staff
Cons
Pay
Great Benefits
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 19, 2017
EVSC has been a great place to work with great benefits. The environment is wonderful if you enjoy working with students. The faculty and staff get along well.
Respected employer in the community
Teacher, Choral-General Music (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 13, 2017
I have not taught in the EVSC since 2001 so really have no idea what the current culture is. I will say that it is totally dependent on the school and principal so ask around.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Top down management
Political Agendas
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 8, 2017
I would not recommend working for this Corporation. I spent over 8 years trying to get a full time job to no avail. It is all based on who you know not how well you teach.