Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation

Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation Employee Reviews

United States61 reviews
You are dealing with students who have a history of violence. So expect bruising. Teachers,techs and SELs are great but management is a mess. Also you only advance when you know someone. But you stay because the kids become part of you. Nice team work as long as management stays away
Pros
Team environment/kids/coworkers
Cons
Management poor and only advance when you know people
Good insurance coverage. Opportunity for additional work. They provide the buses and maintenance. Very easy to get attached to the kids. Most of the teachers are supportive
I learned that communication is key to working for the EVSC. The hardest part of the job is lacking support in classrooms with a lot of students with special needs. The working hours are a benefit, and the benefits are great, however, a lot of employees have to work through their lunch breaks.
The drivers for Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation are like one big family. We all look out for one another and help each other if needed. The days are early but broken up for the different school runs. There are always opportunities to make extra money. The management team is available to help with any issues or problems with students or parents. The best part of the job is getting to know the students on your bus and seeing the positive impact you are making in their lives.
There are many kids needing services in the school system. This results in high caseload and having to take work home to complete. The work environment is good and management is helpful.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
This is the most bias company I ever worked, no room for growth, lacks cultural competence, lacks diversity, ridiculous pay, and does not care about employee feedback. I'm not sure how this organization helps the students, especially, for diverse cultures. They have been sued several times for not following Federal regulations. I definitely do not recommend working for this company.
I enjoy the people I work with. My department is pretty laid back, however there is no opportunities to advance or get any kind of raise...can be frustrating.
After being out of the classroom in a different educational role, I returned after several years. It quickly became apparent to me why there is such unhappiness in our corporation. Simple tasks are made complex through paperwork and meeting after meeting. Teachers are handed a "curriculum" without resources with which to teach it or without the training needed to use provided resources to their fullest extent. Teachers are expected to solved the problems of all students, whether academic or not, while there are few consequences for students who consistently misbehave and disrupt learning. Taking on grading, planning, extra-curriculars and clubs outside of the school day without any thought of extra pay is the norm. It is unfortunate that many of us do not receive the amount of respect that should be given based on the time, money, and energy we have put into our own education.
The employees are willing to help others any way possible to answer questions and offer direction. The environment is always happy and family-friendly.
North's marching band is a respected program that I enjoy working for. I've worked with the marching band since I graduated high school and I continue to look forward to the season.
I am a one on one Paraprofessional for a disabled student. I care for him and take him to assigned classes via wheel chair. Management is knowledgeable and supportive. Staff is cooperative and friendly. The work culture is diverse. One of the hardest parts of the job, is a few disrespectful and uncaring student, and frequently walking from one end of the building to the other. The most enjoyable part of the job is the the fruendly staff.
I work part time in the day care and I enjoy working there. I hope to maybe expand to full time if the opportunity arises. It is a good place to work.
I worked as a substitute teacher, therefore most of what you are asking does not apply to me. I enjoyed working for EVSC and if I were offered a full-time position I would consider it if I wasn't already working.
Helped prepare the food. Put food on trays and served to students. Cleaned tables where the students ate and work area. Put stock up in walk ins and rotated when needed.
I work as a School Bus Driver for EVSC, A Class B CDL/Bus & Passenger License required as well as required certifications.
EVSC offers great benefits, but, low pay for professional school bus drivers. Our job responsibility is to safely transport your children to and from school.

Can you imagine yourself trying to drive a 8' x 40' school bus?

Can you imagine having up to 72 kids onboard confined to that space; while driving, being alert to all traffiic and road conditions, keeping your eyes on the road, watching your mirrors, dealing with the kids getting on & off the bus safely, while the eyes in the back of your head are watching the others making sure they are all ok and behaving.

It's a very stressful job, you have to love kids, and yet be the responsible person; driving & setting a structured and disciplined controlled atmosphere for the safety of children. The winter months you endure the cold early mornings, weather & road conditions and in early months of school tolerate the heat of 90+ degree days without an air conditioned bus and irritable kids on board.

But, giving many of the pros and cons; most days are enjoyable, you become very attached to your bus kids, and, you love seeing their happy smiling faces!

We don't just drive for one school, it may be two or three and running routes inbetween the a.m. & p.m. routes, and, then there are the extra curricular after school routes driven.

EVSC, like many other school corporations, cannot get or keep School Bus Drivers due to the low pay and having to deal with many misbehaved children. Currently,
 - more...
Pros
Working School Calendar 180 Days a Year, Off on Holidays & Weekends, Benefits Offered at Part Time Hours, Great Working Staff In Transportation Office
Cons
Low Pay Up Early in the Mornings, Dealing With Unruly, Disrespectful, Misbehaved Children and Non Air Conditioned Buses.
The EVSC has an ok benefits package which includes clinics specifically for employees. I am unimpressed with the efforts made to protect students/staff in this current culture of school shootings. In addition, the students are continually uninterested in anything I want to teach them no matter how it's delivered.
Pros
Free clinics, time off
Cons
Students, safety, teacher grading
I enter the building to excited teachers enthusiastic to encourage students daily and encourage them to do their best. By 9 am daily, the teachers look like zombies that have been run over by a steam roller. The effort to joy is in misalignment and drains passion at an undue rate. Tasks that should be relatively simple are made more complex than it should be. The amount of effort and hours is more than double the time spent in the classroom teaching students.
Pros
Children's laughter
Cons
stress, unnecessary paperwork, and multiple hours outside of contract hours
Get into van go to different schools on various orders, provide help to the janitorial staff when various plumbing issues came up. Go back and forth to various supply houses to get materials needed to complete the job. Very routine.
The EVSC offers some good health care benefits, we really liked having the clinics to go to without having to schedule appointments weeks in advance and you have some flexibility to take care of your family business/sickness.
Early on in my career I loved my position with EVSC, but the culture of EVSC today is toxic. Teachers have very little autonomy and are supervised and micromanaged by those with much less experience and time in the classroom. Many schools have serious discipline problems and do not support the teachers in these matters. There are amazing students in every classroom that must be exposed to bizarre, inappropriate behavior by other students around them. The methods and philosophies adapted by EVSC involve blaming the classroom teacher instead of addressing and eliminating the real problems. In addition, the amount of paper work, planning protocol, required meetings and the tremendous amount of work teachers have to do, even for their own observations, far exceeds what I was paid for in my contract. Teachers stay for hours beyond the contracted day and work throughout the weekend. Experience and knowledge are not respected. I was told by one administrator that the teacher is no longer a source of knowledge, but a learning guide because children now have Google.
Pros
There are still some amazing students and families attending public schools.
Cons
The administration, starting with the superintendent, is anti-teacher.
I value my time at Evansville-Vanderburg School Corporation as a teacher and facilitator of extra-curricular activities. I was encouraged and allowed to utilize new techniques and methods in my teaching experiences.
Pros
School Principal support
Cons
Corporate administration
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation Reviews by Location