Evergreen State College Employee Reviews in Olympia, WA

Relaxed environment
Media Aid (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 18, 2018
Relaxed environment with a sense of busyness at the time to time form the heavy rush of students coming in. Management is a little controlling. The Managment seemed a little tight due to the nature of being at Evergreens very left-sided views sometimes I just want to be me and relax but I felt I could not.
Cross Between Animal Farm/Stepford Wives Mentality
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 10, 2018
This hierarchy is in need of a major overhaul, but not with its existing leadership. Classic example of an organized group gone bad. On the surface it seems captivating; however, just beneath lies the truth giving way to the many campus disruptions over the years.
Pros
Good place for those who embrace bigotry
Cons
Highly dysfunctional workplace
Excellent student worker program!
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 27, 2018
I learned so many incredible skills while attending school with a flexible work schedule. Now I can use the experience to apply for higher paying jobs in residential and commercial maintenance jobs.
good workplace
Computer Help Desk Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 21, 2018
I appreciate the school. It is a very welcoming place. It workls for me as I am obtaining my Bachelors degre with an ephasis on media production. Learning and working in this environment is positive
Pros
Great staff
Hard Life
Parking Services Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 20, 2018
This was a very stressful place to work with all the gun threats on campus. Although the staff are amazing. The campus is beautiful but the booth has no restroom and is a very unsafe building to work alone in.
Productive and fun workplace
Webmaster / Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 30, 2018
A typical day at work would be coming in and answering a multi-line, typing up forms and taking care of the mail. The management was really good and very helpful.
tesc student worker
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 25, 2018
good options for student work. great research opportunities. wonderful staff. lots of flexibility for students who commit themselves to learning and working hard.
Photoland work Study
Photo Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 27, 2017
The job required mandatory trainings within the year for every employee and it was under the amount of Work Study we received before our year would start.

Gave students the opportunity to know what to do in studios, photo editing, and film processing rooms for future Photo Lab assistants.

Give Internship opportunities with extensive projects such as critiquing, working full-time, handling dangerous chemicals in color mashings and color processing, teaching proficiencies for others, and updating softwares and printers.
Pros
lunch breaks, work with others who have similar interests, and asking help when needed, learning the ropes in each sections.
Cons
not enough diversity of knowledge when it comes to certain Adobe softwares
Well balanced simple
Athletic Trainer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 15, 2017
Evergreen is a wonderful place for student employment. I was trained well, given many opportunities to learn. I enjoyed my manager, who was flexible and attended to my needs.
Good on campus job
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 30, 2017
I learned a lot about being a office assistant and and a lot Evergreen State College. A usual day included answering questions from current/prospecting students as well as parents of the afore mentioned groups, updating spreadsheets, and helping ensure housing ran smoothly. I enjoyed my coworkers and often times the office environment as well as helping students and their parents. The hard part was due to Federal regulations I couldn't work more than 20 hours/week and the pay was minimum wage. Management was overall good to work with.
Pros
Worked great with my class schedule, good co-workers, enjoyed task given to me
Cons
Limited hours, duties assigned that weren't advertised without additional compensation
It was an overall great expierence
secretary assistant/ part time/ seasonal (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 25, 2017
The management was fair, and respectful. I did much enjoy working here, and wished that I never left. If there's one thing I could change it would be the ability to work full time.
Office Assistace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 3, 2017
As an office assistance my routine and daily duties were: Carrying administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning etc. Organizing travel arrangements for senior managers. Writing letters and emails on behalf of other office staff.
Pros
Professional Environment
Cons
Great place for college student to gain experience
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 3, 2016
I gained real life experience working for this employer. The job was very flexible and laid back. I learned to communicated better within a office setting. My Co-workers worked really hard and were very experienced in their positions.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Tesc
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 6, 2016
Working for The Evergreen State College was typically disorganized and always had a lack of communication in every sector of the college I worked in. The tasks given to the employees were fair and for the most part, not too challenging. In my experience, everyone was very patient and willing to teach new skills such as Microsoft Access and the like, which made advancing to higher and more difficult positions easily attainable.
very enlightening
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJune 2, 2016
Helping out the students and campus with maintenance problems. I learned how to fix heaters, household appliances, and furniture.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
long days, short breaks
Great place to learn and work
Student Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 25, 2016
I love the philosophy and the people at evergreen.I learned how to install and re-image computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students with their technical problems.
Pros
independent learning
Cons
small school
Good overall
Guest Services Lead (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 27, 2015
Planned events for clients. Learned many skills related to clerical/administrative employment. My boss was great, but other departments were not so lucky. Co-workers were fine generally. Hardest part of the job was trying to get other departments to cooperate with me so I could do my job. Best part of the job was working with interesting people, and the opportunity to learn new skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Super progressive place where people go out of their way to get offended.
Great Co-workers and Management
Art instructor- Upward Bound (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 4, 2014
Everyday was a true artistic experience. As the students took on the ability to channel their inner artist we created great works of art! I realized the best way to find success in the class was to guide the students, but stay hands off! My teaching assistant was great with coming up with new ideas and ice breakers to get class going. By the end of our program our self portraits were amazing! we also developed a great shirt.
Pros
Class cohesion, support, artistic ability
Cons
transitions
loved the campus people
Custodian (Former Employee) –  olympiaJuly 7, 2014
able to attend classes no tuition. Enjoyed having very updated custodial machines to clean. very safety oriented
Business partner and product evaluation
Internship and Individual Learning Contract (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJanuary 25, 2014
A typical day at work include; reviewing and evaluating online suppliers, contacting the potential business partners, and negotiating terms and policies.
My learning experiences include; online marketing tools and strategy, reviewing and signing legal documents.
I worked closely with the manager and the CEO of the company, in organizing a marketing strategy, evaluating products based on price and consumer demands.
There were no other coworkers, beside the company’s CEO.
The hardest part of my job was the evaluation of suppliers and potential business partners.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the learning experience.