Everything But The House (EBTH) Employee Reviews

Avoid
Cataloguer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 10, 2019
My advice is to avoid applying here. From experience the company is poorly managed, systems and procedures change often, leaving staff confused. A company-wide policy attendance is about to be launched that will further create an insecure work environment; so many strikes your out etc.
2018 saw multiple lay-offs and city closures. The company terminated many excellent employees that had a long tenure with the company.
The company culture is long gone and what is left is dismal and depressing. The people left are simply waiting for their walk into the office to be told they are no longer needed and then they are free to apply for unemployment.
The auction site that once blazed the trail in the selling of used goods is now failing, minimal descriptions and poor quality is now the norm.
Many are leaving the sinking ship, another indicator that it should be avoided.
It is so sad at what this vibrant company has now become. Shame on the leaders and managers that helped its demise. If you haven't go experience in management you shouldn't be there.
Pros
health care
Cons
Job insecruity
Job Security Non-existent
Cataloger (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 31, 2019
I loved my job, but the disconnect between upper management and every day workers is ridiculous. Lay offs are constant. If you're hired, you will be laid off. Don't drink the Kool-aid, this company is sinking fast if they don't improve work morale. Another batch of lay offs just occurred, more will come.
Pros
work at home, flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
lay offs... constantly, lack of communication, lack of transparency
Great place to work, but.....
Editor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 18, 2018
Upper management does NOT communicate with middle management. Layoffs came as a complete surprise. Working remotely from home definitely has it benefits. EBTH provides a very professional result for its sellers. But, the entire company lacks direction and there is not a written manual for any department to utilize as a resource.
Pros
Working remotely from home
Cons
Lack of training and standardized resources results in confusion and inefficiency.
It was below "meh"...
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHDecember 18, 2018
When I first started working at EBTH's Distribution Center I thought that my role was amazing, I got to use a Canon 70D at my own little white infinity wall sweep and take photos of classic "vintage" items. Then my vision started becoming more and more clear as time went on as I progressed through my job... Higher-ups made their own decisions and would only tell their favorite employees the changes, give outlandish deadlines for end-of-month sales which would end with +14 hour work days, and then ask if you could clock in from your home to finish what was left to edit so the sale would start on time. The worst thing is that they would hire "photographers" that didn't know how to use a DSLR, had no clue about the exposure triangle, and couldn't understand the workflow. There were no chances for advancement, no raises, no bonuses even though each time we were shown from upper management that profits were at "record highs". I've heard stories about the HR department where if they were in a write-up situation the accused is already guilty with no chance to prove innocence even if the accusation is based from here-say.

The one good thing I will say about the DC is the people I got to meet who were also in this struggle were absolutely amazing and I am glad to still call some of them friends.
Pros
The people I met.
Cons
An atmosphere of suffering and mold mixed with the feeling of uneasiness.
Great Job
Remote Cataloger (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 13, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working for this company. I believe in their vision and hope it succeeds. It is fast-paced without getting too stressful and showcases a collaborative effort to share knowledge and ensure accuracy.
Beware
Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHDecember 11, 2018
This company will use you for a time and get rid of you when they see fit- which can mean being laid off two weeks before Christmas after giving them a few years of your expertise and being willing to work in other departments whenever needed.
This is not a secure job. People are expendable. But if you want to pad your resume, that's about the only good thing going. Your voice doesn't matter. Numbers and investors are the only things that matter to management.
Pros
Good coworkers, good work/life balance
Cons
Constant change to the point that it's overkill, insecurity, arbitrary attendance policy, upper management that will not listen
Avoid
Photographer (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreSeptember 18, 2018
Great business idea. Good people, mostly. Compensation is very low. Expect to deal with dirty stinky houses (no-no if you have allergies). To be frank, sometimes you meet nice people in nice houses. Think twice if you are not excited about idea to dig through someone else's old stuff, like old Christmas toys, furniture, tools... On the other hand, it's another job, yes, it is nothing special, but they pay regularly.
Pros
Mostly nice people
Cons
Low pay. Too often you'll have to touch stinky greasy things...
After the layoffs, employees were warned to "abandon ship" by upper management....
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHSeptember 16, 2018
This place sucks. First of all whoever still wanted to work here after the bug layoff is tripping.... I currently have 3 managers none of which make any effort to communicate any of the happenings that involve me. HR is a HUGE joke. No pay increases or annual review system in place and don't hold your breath if you're still waiting. At the moment they've been sending people home halfway through the work day due to lack of work but somehow still call for open interviews....my only assumption is so they don't get caught with their pants down once all the regular employees get fed up and leave. Also don't believe the salary they put here on indeed, someone should really report it it's such an outlandish lie.
Pros
Everyone sleeps together? You can really avoid work if you try hard enough.
Cons
Not vegetarian friendly. $12 hour rate forever. Management is clueless. Constant downsizing.
Look the other way
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHSeptember 6, 2018
Its pure GARBAGE. Dont recommend to anybody. If you do see them hiring just look the other way so many other places hiring they don't care. The pay is trash you start at 12 and 1 year or even 10 years later still at 12 an hour. They expect quality work but give you the worst and I mean the worst material ever but to sum it all up its a pretty bad job.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company
Online Estate Sale - Prep
Estate Service Specialist - Organizer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 30, 2018
Interesting job overall, seemed to be a great growing company in 2016 but grew to fast and opened a new market once a month then had to stop because of rapid growth wasn't approved by investors. Late 2017, the company decided to close several markets including Austin, TX. 2016 - 27 cities. 2018 - 9 cities. Hundreds of layoffs nationwide.
Worked me to death
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  CentenniaAugust 11, 2018
They really busted me up and forced me to work very long hours forever and ever. they really just wanted to make a lot of money without even caring about how people were living and it was sad.
changed course every two weeks, poor management
Cataloger/Estate Sale Specialist Researched (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 11, 2018
they expanded too quickly, never enough training, often not enough help, unrealistic expectations, no supplies, very weak management, not interested in internal advancements, treated employees very badly.
Pros
great colleagues with wide knowledge and interesting life experiences
Cons
low pay, very high expectations, poor working conditions, very poor management
Don’t waste your time.
IT (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 13, 2018
Awful company to work for. Leadership is not qualified to do their jobs period.

Be prepared to work like there’s no tomorrow, and not be recognized or rewarded.

Crazy low pay.

How is this company still standing?
Pros
Cons
Terrible “benefits”
Good Bad and the Ugly
cataloger (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 29, 2018
You must take everything with a grain of salt or you will be stressed out everyday. If you don't do well with a set schedule this place is really great for making your own hours (they understand there are early bird and night owls).
A lot of negative rumors are going around all the time, but that is true of a lot of places.
If you're an independent worker its a good company, however, with the downsizing and system turn around its a stressful time.
Management is changing a lot of things with lack of communicating with anyone else. Hopefully the company makes it through this transitional time because we do work to help people going through difficult times and that's why I liked the job in the first place.
Pros
Make your own schedule, helping your clients
Cons
negative work atmosphere, company in trouble
Adaptability is key
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 20, 2018
Very fun company to work for, but they will add more to your responsibilities with zero increase in compensation or pay. Operational and process changes are made company wide every other week with little to no direction from leadership as to why changes were made. Little to no training, a lot of learning on the fly. Executive management was recently overhauled in significant downsizing of entire company. Many in leadership are out of touch with day to day operations and struggles. Many are quick to point fingers when something goes wrong without trying to understand the core issues behind failure(s).
Pros
Ability to work remotely, fun company, room for growth
Cons
Compensation is bottom of the barrel, almost no increase in salary/pay given
Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 17, 2018
They don’t follow throught with what they say they are going to help with. They let people walk around and do nothing and they get paid. There is a lot favoritism.i It is all about the numbers. No commuciation
Great people to work with
Organizer, cataloger (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 15, 2018
EBTH was wonderful under the person who hired me. At the turn of the year, they brought in new management and the work environment changed entirely. They let go of people who had been there the longest and kept the people I helped train. I left the company due to no hours given to work.
Pros
Great and interesting people, interesting items to research.
Cons
New leadership treatment of employees.
Great Place, didn't want to leave
Senior Cataloger (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45242April 18, 2018
This was my dream job but unfortunately the company downsized and cut over half of its employees. If I could I would continue working there. If asked I would stay
Innovative and Fun Place To work
Sales Specialist Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 14, 2018
While I really loved my job, my co-workers and my GM, the position was a risk. The company changes direction with the weather. As a result, the job security was not there. People were laid off overnight without any warning. I enjoyed my work with the company and was able to build ROI, success and gain valuable experience in outside sales, business development and networking. I will miss working with the company and am crossing my fingers that they make a national come back.
Pros
Amazing Co-Workers, Incredible Business Development Experience, Fun Service
Cons
questionable job security
Bad management ruined a good concept
Estate Sale Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 6, 2018
I worked for ebth as an estate specialist and it was chaotic and disorganized at best. EBTH is not willing to pay enough to keep good workers especially in management, so the entire territory suffers by being led by people who don't know what they're doing. They will promise 40 hours a week "plus all the overtime you could want" but truthfully unless you're creative with your time you'll work closer to 30 hours a week. On top of that the pay is not nearly enough to compensate for driving all over the state, never having the supplies you need (because management doesn't order it) and often times having less than 24 hours notice of what the next days assignment will be. The job is fun because you get to dig through people's old stuff, but it's not what they sell you in the interviews
Pros
Fun job, meet interesting people
Cons
Low pay, bad management, no communication, unrealistic goals from corporate