Evonik

United States275 reviews

Evonik insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Ok Company

Company has many locations. This is due to a history of acquisitions. Each location has its own culture. Corporate leadership directs all activities.

Pros

401k Match

Cons

Low salary increase

Clean working environment.

Management is dishonest right to the top. You need to be a yes man or women to work here. Most operators here can't wait to find a different job. I would be embarrassed to be local management. I'm not sure what the customer would do if they learned of shortcuts and other potentially dangerous problems?

Pros

Pay and benefits are fair to above average for work performed.

Cons

So dishonest.

you work independently which is nice.

Supervision does not care about anything but the bottom line. They never check on you to see how things are going through the shift. The training is very disappointing. When you ask something you are told go look it up and find it out yourself.

Pros

lot of things to learn and acquire new skills

Cons

hours

Excellent Products and Technical Service . More internally focused than previous management.

Excellent products and training . Don't always care about employees . Very Safety oriented and promotes diversity. Used to care about customers and employees but now more focused on profits , sustainability and corporate image.

Pros

Work from home flexibility for most jobs

Cons

Interested in key account customers primarily and pushing off smaller customers to distributors, bring in and test administrative staff for drug testing but not management .

Evonik Saratoga is terrible

Disorganized, terribly managed and general incompetence are a few key words that I would use to describe Evonik's Saratoga site. Management is overbearing with little to no knowledge of day to day basics, the plant is laid out in a very backwards design with bandaid fixes for potentially dangerous oversights and out of the 16 people on site, 4 have recently left leaving glaring holes in responsibilities that were often taken for granted by upper managment. The pay is good, the schedule is terrible, and the work life balance is nonexistent.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Good place to work.

They have levels to where you can start out at the bottom and work your way to the top, but you still get good pay. The ppl are nice and the plant is new and clean.

Pros

Good pay, good ppl, good benefits

Cons

If you don’t like DuPont Schedule.

Excellent World-Class Company

Evonik is an international firm employing highly-talented people and world-class resources. I enjoyed my many years here, with ever increasing responsibility.

Pros

Highly Technical

Cons

World-wide assets are often continents and oceans apart.

good benefits and pay

The employees work great as a team looking out for each others safety and well being. Good safety culture. They help with work life balance and offer great benefits.

December 6, 2021

Decent place

I’ve only been there a little while but overall so far it is a decent place. Hardly any overtime until your 100% trained then you can get some. Management is great and goes out of their way to help you succeed. Cafe on site. Uniforms provided so no work clothes needed. They purchase eyewear and give a boot allowance. Very strict on policy and procedure. Extreme COVID protocols.

Pros

Appreciation lunches, Pto, work 6months out of the year, 401 benefit, flexibility

Cons

Can be cliquey, some outdated equipment, large amount of training

Poor management at director level and above

There is not an effective process by which leadership at the director level and above is groomed and therefore there is wide variability in the quality leadership. Some site managers are unqualified and are actually the source of the toxic culture.

November 18, 2021
Hello, thank you for providing insight into your experience at Evonik, and we apologize that it was not positive. We would like to note that Evonik does not have a site or business office in the Chicago, IL, area. Promotions and managerial positions are based on performance standards, and we provide professional development to all our employees through a combination of on-the-job training and digital learning. If you would like to provide further details about your personal experience at Evonik, please contact employerbranding@evonik.com.

Inclusive and global culture

Work was defined and customer oriented. Good teams and work colleagues. Project work was interesting. Opportunity to meet other regional colleagues and global teams. Good program for training research employees.

Pros

Benefits, global culture

Cons

Salary, advancement

A great place to work for career advancement!

Evonik is a fantastic place to work for career development and job advancement. Lots of trust and responsibility is given to employees early on in their career allowing them to gain well-rounded experience.

Hit-or-miss environment; work experience worth sticking it out

The nature of the industry makes any role you might take with Evonik likely to be a high-stress one. Management isn't always understanding, as many managers have their own plates full, and this can be complicated by managers being several US states away, or even in another country. The bureaucratic requirements within the company can also make tasks needlessly difficult. However, the company offers many wonderful learning opportunities, and great benefits besides. I was proud and eager to be building my career there until the pandemic finally made it untenable for me to continue. Working at Evonik will quickly offer you opportunities to learn myriad new skills if you are willing to seek them out and prove yourself. I have left the company a more well-rounded person.

Good company with great benefits

I can say that I am having a good job experience. My manager and supervisor are very helpful. The company has great benefits and they are flexible. It's a lot of work but manageable.

It is a very click oriented work place.

Favoritism for specific people by management. Management could care less about life situations. Judgmental people with the few who are good people. Long time employees have attitudes but get special treatment. The work it's self isn't bad. The 12 hour shifts are rough. Depending on whether or not you click with the operators will decide your fait in the company. As management is never around to see performance, or lack there of.

Pros

They pay good.

Cons

Read my review.

August 22, 2021
Hello. As of August 1st, 2019, the Sanford, ME site is no longer operating under Evonik Industries. However, treating employees fairly and with respect is important to our work environment, and it is disappointing to hear that you did not experience this. We appreciate the knowledge and experience of our former employees, and through feedback such as yours, we hope to constantly improve the work environment. We wish you all the best.

Good place to learn and develop your skills.

Evonik is very employee focused. Learning and development activities are a focus in the company. Work life balance is decent. It’s a manufacturing company so there are times you’re expected to be at work outside of your normal hours, which is understandable. Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you make sure you add value and you act professional.

Pros

Friendly work environment.

Cons

A little too much oversight in normal business processes for my taste.

Productive and really great people to work with

I worked here for almost 10 years and I really Loved my job, the co-workers, my Supervisor and the work that we accomplished together with our team! My Supervisor retired and I was taken off my project and put into a different position. I liked that job as well. I became ill and had to leave. I am still friends with some folks that currently work there and the folks who retired. I would highly recommend working at Evonik Oil Additives. A very intelligent and fun group of people!

Pros

Great people and always something new to learn! Great benefits! !

Please, please do not come here.

-0 room for advancement. - if you are not in the buddy system here you will not move forward.- forced, "mandatory" overtime where you are punished if you do not come in.- promotions not based on performance, solely on the favoritism of the managers.- when you are up for a raise due to union contract you have to constantly ask and fight for it even though its a guaranteed raise.- no shift pay differential, no PTO. its like a prison here.

Pros

atleast its a job

Too much political correctness

Management bases promotion decisions on the trending political correctness. Decisions are not based on facts but rather on an agenda. Loyalty to the company is not valued.

May 24, 2021
Hello dear colleague, we are sorry to hear that you have such impressions and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. At Evonik, we strive to have our hiring and promotions based on performance as well as potential. It is our goal to have well defined processes that drive our strategic decision making. We encourage you to reach out to us directly to further discuss your concerns on employerbranding@evonik.com. Thank you and we wish you all the best. Your Evonik team.

Potential to be an average company

Most of the people are good, unfortunately upper management doesn't really care. Once bought out by German company it went down hill with too many politicians trying to run it that didn't have the knowledge to be able to do it right.

Pros

Good local associates.

Cons

No advancement opportunities.

May 24, 2021
Hello dear colleague, thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and we appreciate your insight as a former employee. We hold our leadership to a high standard and expect that they live out Evonik’s global values in their work. However, please feel free to contact us directly on employerbranding@evonik.com if you would like to have a direct conversation about your concerns. Wish you all the best. Your Evonik Team.

German company and culture

Evonik is a vey "rules" based environment, something like 38k employes world wide, sowages and benifits are good to very good, job security is good, high employee expecitations, decisions are slow

Pros

good pay

Cons

slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evonik. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight